• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

The Positives of the Movie:
-Eureka and Renton will love each other basically no matter the universe.
-Long haired Eureka is best Eureka.

Literally nothing else.

The Negatives of the Movie:
-Basically Everything
-I can't believe this got into SRWZ2 over the actual E7.
-No seriously everything else in this movie makes me sad and angry and sad.

CorvoSol

Only Guren Lagan actually allows pilot switching :p

The other types of pilot switching (like Getter) changes the unit itself.

In the entire game? Weird. Man, the Nirvash from the end of the movie wasn't even as cool as the final Nirvash in the series. And it was the only new mech in the entire movie.

cnet128

Banned
Argh i must have missed when you finished splash star, dammit i was looking forward to that.

Here's all my impression posts from that last fateful night if you wanted to check them out:

Episode 45
Episode 46
Episode 47
Episode 48
Episode 49 END
Movie lol

Anyway be carefull you're entering a zone where you enjoyment will be somehow less epic than before.
Also , you probably think you've already guessed the plot of the next 3 episodes ?
Ah ah don't let your guard down

Not going to be completely formulaic? Sounds good to me!

I'm watching some spring shows, what should i watch next?

Photo Kano
Yuyushiki
Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet

Canonical answer: Gargantia.

Real answer: Yuyushiki gogogo!

YOKO

You only kiss once.

Bravo. Just...bravo.

Wait, Arc Gurren? Or Cathedral Lazengann Gurren Lagann? If that's the case, how did they just flat out leave out the titular Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, let alone
SUPER Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann?

Well, I guess it makes a certain amount of sense. It's hardly fair to the other mechs even having Gurren Lagann there in the first place. If any of the upgraded versions were included, you could probably win the whole game in one move.

[Futari Wa Precure] 25

Mascots. Just what this show needed.

Porun is the greatest mascot in the history of mascot. This is truth and no opinions to the contrary will be permitted. (That said, even I wasn't keen on him when he first appeared, so you can be forgiven if you don't warm to him immediately.)

This episode was mind-numbingly boring. Something about going to the Field of Lights and meeting the bad CGI Queen while I fall asleep on the keyboard. I hate it when this show gets into serious plot mode, even if
Ilkubo coming back from the dead was neat

Yay, you met the Manifestation Of All That Is Wrong With The World!

zeroshiki

In the entire game? Weird. Man, the Nirvash from the end of the movie wasn't even as cool as the final Nirvash in the series. And it was the only new mech in the entire movie.

WEEEELLL... the Ikaruga changes pilots from Zero to Ougi if you choose to deploy Zero as Shinkirou (you should do this, he has a barrier that blocks 4000 damage).

Other than that, there is no mid stage pilot switching in Z2-2. Not even with Guren Lagan.

fertygo

WEEEELLL... the Ikaruga changes pilots from Zero to Ougi if you choose to deploy Zero as Shinkirou (you should do this, he has a barrier that blocks 4000 damage).

Other than that, there is no mid stage pilot switching in Z2-2. Not even with Guren Lagan.

Geass and TTGL guys totally dominating Z2-2

Even the lesser unit like Shen-hu and Rolo (what the fuck, he could have 10 space post move attack) are killer.

wonzo

Banned
As part of the upcoming Jump Super Anime Tour, the popular recent WSJ series Assassination Classroom is getting a special anime adaptation that will be screened exclusively at the event. First step on the road to a full series? Who knows.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...ssassination-classroom-manga-gets-event-anime

Apparently they're going to have some early Nisekoi footage there as well.
A double whammy of bad series getting adapted. :(

What the fuck, is the context not any wrong?
Nope.

zeroshiki

Geass and TTGL guys totally dominating Z2-2

Even the lesser unit like Shen-hu and Rolo (what the fuck, he could have 10 space post move attack) are killer.

Lancelot Albion is the true imbalanced character from Geass. It has higher mobility than the Guren Seiten, has a MAP and Suzaku has better Seishin than Kallen and that unfair Potential LV9 + 1.1 DMG secret skill.

B.O.O.M

It's not yaoi...yet. And it's good enough, certainly better than Tamako Market.

Excellent. I will give it a look and see

Also caught up with all 6 episodes of Kingdom. Outside of some really really weird looking facial expressions, I love this anime

Shergal

Two bits on Kaze Tachinu (yes its the in thing right now, the movie is all over the news and TV):

1) The grandfather of cranky old men (non Miyazaki edition), the maestro of nonsensical plots, the butcher of half baked characters, yes Yoshiyuki Tomino has weighed in on Kaze Tachinu.

When asked if he'd seen Kaze Tachinu he replied in the affirmative and said:
Tomino: A great movie.

I don't know if this is good or bad.

Also I'm sad nobody cares about Kaguya-hime (yes, I know it's still time until the release but Takahata hasn't made a film in 13 years!)

fertygo

A double whammy of bad series getting adapted. :(

Nope.
What the fuck, why Gekko crew do that?

Lancelot Albion is the true imbalanced character from Geass. It has higher mobility than the Guren Seiten, has a MAP and Suzaku has better Seishin than Kallen and that unfair Potential LV9 + 1.1 DMG secret skill.

Kallen already strong enough though, She have the biggest chance among all unit to become top ace even without map attack because her strongest attack have affordable required morale.. Easily broke through enemy line from first turn. Have 1.1 DMG as well (Ace bonus)

I'm not bitter Albion's better at all, if just Kallen have focus instead frigging fortify She's totally perfect pilot. Absurd Seishin and all, the offender is only fortify for agile unit like that.

EDIT : just checking, these guy not watching R2 last episode -___-
SEITEN have better spec than Albion is Kallen word.

zeroshiki

I am worried Kaguya-hime might miss even Fall and slip into Winter.

It could just be the ramp up to Kaze Tachinu marketing, but commercials for Kaguya-hime have stopped and there is very little news of anything about it.

As for your point, Miyazaki and his work is way way more mainstream popular than Takahata so all attention is naturally on him. I'm actually glad that their releases got separated so at least Takahata gets his moment in the sun when the Kaguya marketing starts up. If they had released simultaneously as planned, I'm not sure the marketing for Kaguya would have amounted to anything.

CorvoSol

What the fuck, why Gekko crew do that?

Eureka Seven Pocket Full Of Rainbow Spoilers

They're technically not the crew of the Gekko. It's an alternate universe where the only people still in-character are Renton and Eureka. Sort of. Kind of.

The Devil Is a Part Timer 4

"I don't like to talk about home because it brings up a lot of things I don't want to talk about. Let me tell you all about it."

CorvoSol

What the hell..

Basically it is an entirely different story with Eureka Seven's skin laid on top. And I mean that in the worst possible way. There was nothing about that movie that actually belonged to Eureka Seven or screamed "This is an Eureka Seven story."

Even Rebuild of Evangelion has been better in that regard.

Blusby

Basically it is an entirely different story with Eureka Seven's skin laid on top. And I mean that in the worst possible way. There was nothing about that movie that actually belonged to Eureka Seven or screamed "This is an Eureka Seven story."

Hush hush, there is no Eureka 7 movie.

Shergal

It could just be the ramp up to Kaze Tachinu marketing, but commercials for Kaguya-hime have stopped and there is very little news of anything about it.

As for your point, Miyazaki and his work is way way more mainstream popular than Takahata so all attention is naturally on him. I'm actually glad that their releases got separated so at least Takahata gets his moment in the sun when the Kaguya marketing starts up. If they had released simultaneously as planned, I'm not sure the marketing for Kaguya would have amounted to anything.

I'm aware of the huge gulf in popularity between the two directors, it's just that after the trailer I can't control the hype. I've watched it like 10 times already ;_;

Yes, screening the movies separately seems like a better idea, and I really wouldn't want Kaguya-hime to be released if every detail hasn't been checked over and over. I hope it doesn't get delayed again though.

fertygo

AO the prologue movie.

CorvoSol

AO the prologue movie.

Eureka Seven And Associated Series WMG

Pocket Full of Rainbows is canon to both E7 and AO. E7 takes place approx 10k years after AO, in like, 12005 AD or something. AO takes place in like, 2025, and PFoR takes place in 2050~. AO tells us the tale of the beginning of the Coralian's advances on Earth. PFoR recounts the end of that, how the Coralian came to cover the world, and of course, E7 tells us how that all ends before looping back into AO at points.

Or, in the better world I would rather live in, E7 happens and no sequels or prequels or spin offs are ever made.

cajunator

Banned
So apparently I was informed of something that I haven't noticed for a while, but you know how Precure's have declarations (basically their little catch phrase). Everyone has a declaration in Doki Doki Precure, but only Cure Heart actually says her the entire time. Everyone else hasn't bothered to say it.

Rikka (when called into action as "Cure Diamond") - http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/pictures/l/03/33/NEOGDS-91614.jpg
("I'll be the one to cool your rage!")

Alice (when called into action as "Cure Rosetta") - http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/pictures/l/03/32/NEOGDS-91613.jpg
("Love makes the world go 'round.") - Actually, I like the longer version better which she also adds "Now, come let me nurture the love in your heart!"

Makoto (when called into action as "Cure Sword") - http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/pictures/l/03/31/NEOGDS-91612.jpg
("I'll cut down your ambitions with the blade of love!")

The Declarations and products shown above states that they know they have declarations, and is more evidence for the bias of Cure Heart.

Isnt Cure Heart the main one though? Of course it would be biased.

Blood-C episodes 1-6

Not enough gore yet, but I get a feeling there will be enough to satisfy me soon.

I am pretty sure the coffee guy is putting a fuckton of drugs in her drink.

There will be plenty enough gore.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Brothers Conflict
DJpP3Sml.jpg

I bet SDBurton thinks this is acceptable. lol

Also, I guess I had no idea:
qJL56mv.jpg
is
Q4OuMHc.jpg
is
gj0hk8n.jpg

So unlike other male actors, he seems to be able to do two voices. Dat range. lol

Jintor

tumblr_mpclizHG4J1qa5504o1_500.png

The free sydney newspaper that is an explosive combination of gossip, terrible reporting and generally being a piece of shit occasionally has its perks

Is Free good? I thought it's Yaoi so I didn't bother checking it out :S

Unfortunately it is not yaoi. However it is still the leading choice with meganebu! and Karneval for best anime of the year. Check Free! out.

As part of the upcoming Jump Super Anime Tour, the popular recent WSJ series Assassination Classroom is getting a special anime adaptation that will be screened exclusively at the event. First step on the road to a full series? Who knows.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...ssassination-classroom-manga-gets-event-anime

Apparently they're going to have some early Nisekoi footage there as well.
Ooos I must have missed your post in the manga thread about it, just awake.

Guess its following the path like Toriko.

Sad that saiki kusuo, assassination classroom, and nisekoi get some form of animated works and Haikyuu!! still has nothing.

sonicmj1

Eureka Seven And Associated Series WMG

Pocket Full of Rainbows is canon to both E7 and AO. E7 takes place approx 10k years after AO, in like, 12005 AD or something. AO takes place in like, 2025, and PFoR takes place in 2050~. AO tells us the tale of the beginning of the Coralian's advances on Earth. PFoR recounts the end of that, how the Coralian came to cover the world, and of course, E7 tells us how that all ends before looping back into AO at points.

Ah, but Corvo,
if AO is set before E7 canonically, then where did Secrets come from, and where did they go? And why has scub coral appeared on earth through all of human history, contradicting its origin in the original series?

Also, just so you don't beat yourself up any more than you're already doing, I'll tell you that nobody besides Ao is related to Eureka or Renton.

Here's all my impression posts from that last fateful night if you wanted to check them out:

Episode 45
Episode 46
Episode 47
Episode 48
Episode 49 END
Movie lol
Oh thanks ..
Not going to be completely formulaic? Sounds good to me!
They tried their best to be smart while being as classic as possible.
So no , you'll have some nice surprise in the first eps.
Porun is the greatest mascot in the history of mascot. This is truth and no opinions to the contrary will be permitted. (That said, even I wasn't keen on him when he first appeared, so you can be forgiven if you don't warm to him immediately.)
I disagree ... Poron could have been better if he wasn't whinning all the time.
You can tell me that having your mother missing for a baby is hard ( and i agree ) BUT ( and i insist on this point ) they don't use it to make it grow , poron just stay poron , even under the care of hikari , poron doesn't try to be something else and his only option is either to be annoying , or to be annoyed at .

---------
Futari wa Precure Splash Star 46

With all the revived villains defeated, it's time to finish things once and for all! ...Realising this, Michiru and Kaoru try to do the stupid thing and head back to Dark Fall alone in a reckless attempt to retrieve the Fairy Carafe without putting the Cures in danger. Naturally, when Mai and Saki realise what they're up to, they are having none of this, and after a little back-and-forth argument that proves everybody has their priorities straight (making Minori happy is the most important thing in the world, trufax), they all agree that heading to Dark Fall together is the right thing to do.

So off to Dark Fall it is, and oh look! The Fairy Carafe is just standing in the middle of nowhere, completely unguarded! Could it be a trap, by any chance? The Cures and friends certainly think so, and unsurprisingly enough, the moment they get near, they are ambushed by both Gohyarn and the great Akudaikaan himself.
Lool. Sometimes you have to go forward even if you know it's a trap.
Futari wa Precure Splash Star 47

ololololololololol
SURPRISE! Akudaikaan was just a pawn of Gohyarn! The only reason he was obsessed with destroying everything was because Gohyarn made him that way so he could step in and take over the world after it had been destroyed! And when Akudaikaan gets a little overenthusiastic about the destroying, Gohyarn's all like "kay don't need you anymore *extinguish life*." I always knew Gohyarn was a massive ass, but MY GOD, WHAT A MASSIVE ASS.

And thanks to Akudaikaan's excessive DESTROY DESTROY DESTROY-ing,
Dark Fall itself has basically fallen apart, so we're back to the human world for the real final battle, as usual. With their "father" Akudaikaan out of the picture, there's no need for Michiru and Kaoru to even think about hesitating any more. Gohyarn has revealed his TRUE FORM, so now we just have to kick him into the dirt where he belongs. ...What do you mean he's probably stupidly strong and it won't be that easy.

Especially if you had a mastermind pulling the strings !
That part was easily my best twist in the franchise because it was clear from the very start that
Gohyan
was scheming ..but we had no way to see how far that fellow was planning. and it make sense even ! considering what events happenned during that season.

Futari wa Precure Splash Star 48

DUDE DID YOU JUST
DESTROY THE GODDAMN WORLD
?!

First half of this episode was filled with GLORIOUS BATTLE ACTION, with AERIAL FIGHTING and FOUR-ON-ONE BEATDOWN and GIANT GODDAMN LASER BLAST. But of course,
Gohyarn wasn't fazed by any of this, and just got up afterwards with barely a scratch to show for it

Then we got another giant revelation that we've been waiting for the whole series:
the Fountain of Sun is THE GODDAMN OCEAN.
I...guess I should have seen that one coming. Unfortunately, this revelation was
Gohyarn's cue to perform the aforementioned WORLD DESTROYING, with the added disadvantage that the destruction of the Fountain of Sun means the weakening of the spirits that Saki and Mai use to transform! So they both end up reverted to civilian form at the worst possible moment.

But of course, as long as they're still alive, they're not going to give up. Drawing on their last reserve of heroic strength, all four of the girls, plus mascots, call out to all of the surviving spirits in the world to lend them their strength, and
OH FUCK YES ALL FOUR OF THEM TRANSFORMED. Saki into Cure Bloom, Mai into Cure Egret, and Michiru and Kaoru into new versions of Cure Bright and Cure Windy! (I don't know if they'll actually use those names, but THAT'S BASICALLY WHAT THEY ARE.) Finally Michiru and Kaoru's meaningful-name references are justified - they even got name-dropped in their respective "transformation calls".

So with one episode to go, now the REAL REAL TOTALLY FOR REALS THIS TIME YOU GUYS final battle can begin!
Gohyarn, you are SO going DOWN.

DAT finale ... that will be so hard to do better than that .. DID you see that glorious animation ?
1362008368984.gif

1362012837662.gif

DID YOU SEE THAT FIGHT ????
It will be so hard to top that fight. It will happen , but not anytime soon.
Futari wa Precure Splash Star 49 END

GOHYARN ANNIHILATED! FOUNTAIN OF SUN RESTORED! MICHIRU AND KAORU REVIVED! ZEKKOUCHOU NARI~!

That really was a pretty damn satisfying finale. Saki, Mai, Michiru and Kaoru really do make the bestest team. Cute name for the FINAL FINAL FINISHER as well -
they finally managed to namedrop the series title! PRECURE SPIRAL HEART...SPLASH STAR!!!

And the montage of happiness that followed their victory tied up all sorts of other loose ends. Saki finally got to
win a softball match
! Kaoru got to
draw a cute picture
! Michiru got to
make her own bread
! Mai got to...uh...
hold hands with Saki
! Flappy and Choppy
finally got together
! Moop and Foop
were irrelevant as usual
! Mizu Shitatare
increased the quality of the episode by remaining dead
! Minori
was adorable
! Ganbarance de Dance
is best ending theme
! I'm kind of
going off on a tangent here
!
Yep the finale was so satisfying ...really

Did you realise they basicly did a
big bang
?
You bet they couldnot use that attack before.
But what a nice victory.
10/10 would watch again. Maybe I should take this opportunity to rank the five Very Best Parts of Futari wa Precure Splash Star (completely off the top of my...uh, is anyone getting déjà vu here?)

5. The steamy sex scene between Kintoresuki and Princess Filia. What-do-you-mean-that-didn't-happen.
4. That one scene where Saki and Mai almost kissed. What-do-you-mean-that-was-just-a-GIF.
3. Awesome Michiru and Kaoru moments. Too many of them to choose just one, but
the moment when they first saved Saki and Mai from Dorodoron
the impassioned fight with the Cures where they finally saw the light
and
the moment when they transformed into Cures alongside Saki and Mai in the final battle
are all highlights. Oh, and mustn't forget the godly scene where they
begged Akudaikaan not to destroy the world
2. SAKI. Anyone who didn't see this one coming should be attacked by a...hang on, what? She's not number one? HOW CAN THAT BE?! Look at her smile! Is that not the greatest smile mankind has ever known?! How can it possibly be shunted down to SECOND place?!
1. Because MINORI is the most important thing in the world, of course. Trufax.

Now there's just the Splash Star movie to go, and then I can move on to Yes! Precure 5! ...What wonders await me in this great and terrifying unknown? Only time will tell.

Yeeeees
Minori in first place ...
Excellent choice my friend.
I should probably put a brofist.gif here but no .
This is more appropriate.
Nods* in approval

What do you mean "the movie" .. ah ah ah there is no movie :(

wonzo

Banned
Senyuu 16

This episode was kinda dull outside of the bit at the beginning. Not even Sugita could make it worth it. :(

Turning Girls 5

I haven't really been feeling this show since the second episode but this pretty much turned around my wavering impressions on the series in one fell swoop. What an episode.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ojamajo Dorem # Movie

Not sure if a 30 minute running time really qualifies as a "movie", but it certainly stepped up in production values. As said before, Doremi and Pop are good sisters, even if Doremi doesn't really know how to be one sometimes.

Ojamajo Doremi # 35

DBNSNph.jpg

Wait, I thought I was watching an anime, not Peanuts.

jc4WkTz.jpg

This was certainly one of the more entertaining treatments of a kindergarten athletic meet I've seen.

/XX/

Crunchyroll is like the best site ever for what just happened. It was my birthday yesterday so I was away from my computer, or either watching the steam sales. I come back on my computer to watch the new anime that free users could watch on CR, and I'm surprised with a 30 day free trial from CR.
Happy Birthday, Gintoki313! A pity you couldn't tell us this earlier.

And, in the meantime, Kojima is stuck making Metal Gear games. :(
SNATCHER's 25th anniversary is approaching, and he could have leveraged to Mr. Suda & 5pb.'s Mr. Shikura some kind of off-hands project... or I'll keep hoping for that. :-(

I think the idea that the sound effects of the planes are made by a voice actor is pretty neat.

http://youtu.be/eQhA0noiY2o
http://youtu.be/DDxr4vPc8as
Not a simple voice actor but a specialized guy at that kind of effects! Sound design expert Kōji Kasamatsu.

So are the Gurren Lagann movies worth watching if you've seen the OG tele series?
Everyone mentions the second film's last battle, but Yoko VS. Adiane "cat fight" (with added GORIPON flavor) is another cool standout for the first one.

The recent preview aired at NTV channel continues to mention a Fall release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom