• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Sentai Filmworks has confirmed that their release of Little Busters! will be available on Blu-ray.

edit: Funimation also license rescued a bunch of .hack series: .hack//SIGN, .hack//Roots, .hack//Legend Of The Twilight, and .hack//G.U. Trilogy.

Which had the cute character designs?

Cat Blue Dynamite had the nicely animated models going for it. This is video game cutscene material.

True. CBD was very well animated and directed. Romanov is legit.

RWBY 01
Fantastic first episode, great fighting scenes, the characters looks and move beautifully, and the story damn does it draw me in. Can't wait for the Japanese dub!!

Honestly, it's great that Rooster Teeth is doing this, but even if the show had as high of a production value as an anime from KyoAni or whoever. I'd still drop this show because...hey the story isn't that interesting...seems rather generic.

Narag

RWBY 1

Finally something uglier than Gifu Dodo!!.
@El Sloth: You basically watched the Dark Souls intro. No more excuses!!

watch it for a newfound appreciation of every piece of crap show airing this season.

I've seen the light. It looked like a PS2 game.

wonzo

Banned
At least until they get to the melodramatic, hamfisted story of Rin and Gou's dead dad. :V
Oh yeah, I'll def. end up dropping it when it pulls out the dumb Key shit like Chuu2.

I've seen the light. It looked like a PS2 game.
Finally, the spiritual sequel to Dawn of the Seeker I've been looking for.

dragonage1a.jpg

Pooya

Attack on Titan - 11-12

words words words, Zzzz. oh finally something is set in motion.
Oh Surprise!!!!! of course that would happen.

Attack on Titan - 13

Gross stuff.

Attack on Titan -14

hot damn, the new OP is boss, I like it a lot. I see they're capitalizing on that Mikasa, not surprising I guess.
4n7uup.jpg

193sst.jpg

Why Armin gets uglier and uglier?

25ksu9.jpg

What's wrong with his forehead.

3oxsjp.jpg

Levi like a boss. That woman is creepy.

Don't care about the ED, terrible song.

ok, I'm back onboard, don't care about the looks and animation anymore. Looks interesting enough for me to keep watching. I'm glad I watched all of these back to back though, I hope it has better pacing now or else I might just wait to see the rest.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon SuperS] 155
That was precisely the kind of episode needed after that ugly one. Tons of cool visual gags and a lot of good sakuga to boot. I'm not usually a fan of culture/athletic festival story lines in anime, but this one was really fun.
I just noticed that, even if the transformation sequences are mostly the same, they redid some of the character art during them. Venus' face looks less derpy here than before, and overall all of the transformations flow more freely.

jgminto

RWBY 1

lol this looks so bad and the VO is even worse. It reminds me of those shitty Barbie dvds my little cousins watch, especially the characters. They look much better than this though.

Do people still watch RvB?

survivor

Banned
Tamayura ~hitotose~ 11
lol, so this is what a recital drama is? Just some person on stage reading from a book? What a ripoff

I feel like Maon has gotten the most attention and character development out of all the characters not named Fuu. And I don't really mind that since really she is the only character outside of Fuu with actual interesting and real problems. I did like the ending scene taking the same place as that time when they all met as kids, this could have been a good season finale moment.

Looks like the ED got changed. I wonder if I missed any previous different EDs since I just generally let them play in the background after the first couple times.

They just want to better themselves, what's wrong with that!
I just feel that the final boss should have been introduced much earlier in the game.

Articalys

Stella C3-Bu ep.3

Really a lot of fun now. If they can keep the energy up this should turn out to be another solid show for the Summer season.

Also like some others have said, the new ED animation is great. I wonder if the first one was just a placeholder because the normal one was unfinished earlier or what.

Also also, the coloring in this shot from the ED makes Sonora look more like Kanbaru than she already is, voice and all.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Stella Women’s Academy Episode 3: Nice bit of progression as we see the C3 Club in tournament action and of course we get to meet the evil rivals, also go team YuraxSonora.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
these RWBY screens :jnc

Le Chevalier D'Eon 17

Time to fuck up some poets? Yeah, let's do this shit.

A little white lie to your old teacher? Not a smart movie D'Eon? What, you don't think you can trust him with the info that Mary is like you and that you're losing yourself? Come on, dude.

Man, I don't trust Mary at all.

Some creepy shit going on here. I'm all sorts of confused. Psychic magic battle! It's pretty cool how specific Bible verses associated with different feelings (vengeance, protection, pleas for help) are used to different effects it seems, like different spells.

Been awhile since the crew fought some gargoyles, fuck yeah. Let's see how durand does one handed!

wow so that's a rough way do die Max. And yeah, I think Lia had a thing even still for him, even after being Durand's lover.

Jarmel

Banned
Yeah! I usually like to recommend Kaoru Kumi's analyses as it focus on the technical progress Hayao Miyazaki searched for Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, and what he accomplished on the way. If he sometimes delved too much into some different techniques for visual storytelling and world-building is probably because he took it as a study, learning for a bigger introduction into the medium:

Manga Criticism Translation: “At First, I Wanted to be a Manga-ka”: Analyzing the Nausicaa Manga by Kumi Kaoru, pt 1 - 2chan.us
http://2chan.us/wordpress/2009/11/04/kumi-kaoru-translation-nausicaa-1/

Manga Criticism Translation: “At First, I Wanted to be a Manga-ka”: Analyzing the Nausicaa Manga by Kumi Kaoru, pt 2 - OGIUE MANIAX
http://ogiuemaniax.wordpress.com/20...lyzing-the-nausicaa-manga-by-kumi-kaoru-pt-2/

I'll have to read that at some point. Would be interesting to sort through.

hot damn, the new OP is boss, I like it a lot. I see they're capitalizing on that Mikasa, not surprising I guess.

DO NOT WANT

Mikasa should be flat as a blackboard.

Also where are my delicious abs?

Kazzy

I see a lack of Cat Returns. Its not Miyazaki but its Ghibli and its really damned cute.

I just wanted to flag this, if only to give The Cat Returns some much needed love.

It's not the "best" Ghibli film, but that doesn't stop it being amongst my favourites. It's just so whimsical!

cajunator

Banned
these RWBY screens :jnc

Le Chevalier D'Eon 17

Time to fuck up some poets? Yeah, let's do this shit.

A little white lie to your old teacher? Not a smart movie D'Eon? What, you don't think you can trust him with the info that Mary is like you and that you're losing yourself? Come on, dude.

Man, I don't trust Mary at all.

Some creepy shit going on here. I'm all sorts of confused. Psychic magic battle! It's pretty cool how specific Bible verses associated with different feelings (vengeance, protection, pleas for help) are used to different effects it seems, like different spells.

Been awhile since the crew fought some gargoyles, fuck yeah. Let's see how durand does one handed!

wow so that's a rough way do die Max. And yeah, I think Lia had a thing even still for him, even after being Durand's lover.

Wait did you just use jnc outside of nflgaf? Its spreading!

I just wanted to flag this, if only to give The Cat Returns some much needed love.

It's not the "best" Ghibli film, but that doesn't stop it being amongst my favourites. It's just so whimsical!

I knew you were awesome and not just cause of your fine taste in hyouka best girl.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Tamayura ~hitotose~ 11
lol, so this is what a recital drama is? Just some person on stage reading from a book? What a ripoff

I feel like Maon has gotten the most attention and character development out of all the characters not named Fuu. And I don't really mind that since really she is the only character outside of Fuu with actual interesting and real problems. I did like the ending scene taking the same place as that time when they all met as kids, this could have been a good season finale moment.

Looks like the ED got changed. I wonder if I missed any previous different EDs since I just generally let them play in the background after the first couple times.

I just feel that the final boss should have been introduced much earlier in the game.

Whistle-moe basically takes over the show. It sort of makes sense, since next to Potte, she is the most shy of the bunch so she has a clear arc. Average-girl has some angst about being average, but SatoJun knows where his strengths lie.

One Off basically had the same arc, come to think of it. lol

Legend of the Galactic Heroes -2
Slow start
characters die so fast, commander disobey and turns back, destroyed by a random laser at that very moment
. Remained oddly compelling even if tons of other characters were shown and given a few seconds of screentime and a line then something else. Will keep follow, for I need to see how Reinhard and Yang will outwit each other
Thors hammer gives him a huge advantage for the fortress
. For characters, Kircheis and Reinhard offer the best of the character designers work, and actually good subordinate type thing or even friendship going on with great trust. I would like to see if Kircheis gets his own chance to do things.

Step

These negative RWBY impressions are not doing any favors for someone who has been waiting for another episode of Dead Fantasy.

The problem for me was way to much talk of an uninteresting story, something where Dead Fantasy is just right into action, also Monty's animation looks great on fast paced combat but slow animations looks bad, and RWBY had a lot of them : | (everything is just my opinion ofc)

Articalys

Silver Spoon ep.2

I've been following the manga for so long that I forgot it's going to take some time to get through all the setup stuff. Still enjoyable, though; I love how they handled the reaction face during the scene with Aikawa.

I wonder how they're going to pace it and where the cutoff point will be for the first cour.

Rozen Maiden 3

To show the level of detail on display in the direction here, I'd like to highlight one short segment. After the OP, we're in Jun's apartment as he lies on his futon ruminating over the things that have happened to him. A soft, warm synth and distant female voice gently oscillate between two chords. He closes his cell phone and stretches out his arm, shown in what will become a recurring camera angle.

TdQD6lu.jpg

We switch to a closeup on his eye, as it vainly fights against closing into sleep. As soon as this shot begins, a hard synth enters into the music with a steady fast pulsating beat. It creates an ominous feeling of encroaching danger, associated with the approach of sleep.

igprMHK.jpg

We get a first-person shot of his eyes closing and then we see his gentle breathing, establishing that he has fallen into slumber. The angle of his hand with the phone reappears, this time to show it slipping out of his now limp grasp. As it does so, the pulsating beat fades out, replaced by a distorted, crackling synth.

a0JOPxY.jpg

5G3O6Dd.jpg

Immediately we cut to another shot of Jun's left hand, this time lying on a heap of discarded doll parts. Instead of the cell slipping out of this hand, it is a foot. The way these two adjecent shots parallel each other creates a smooth transition between the real world and the dream world Jun has entered. The distorted synth increasing in volume, accompanied by rumbles of percussion and an urgent reentrance of the pulsating beat.

aARJTtM.jpg

Jun looks around in fear at this strange place and begins to stand up, but as he does so his foot slips on one of the heads.

EeTUHZ2.jpg

ZnUtE24.jpg

We see his back falling down in the dream world, which transitions into his back rising as he bolts from his sleep in the real world. As soon as reality comes back, the music cuts out. As Jun catches his breath, the scene fades on one last shot of the phone, this time by itself.

gD0RQZ9.jpg

This is a cursory analysis, but it shows how the visual direction, in addition to coming up with attractive compositions, creates a smooth flow between shots that clearly draws the audience's attention to important aspects of what's happening. The musical direction is no slouch either, as it uses variations on a two-chord harmonic pattern to establish subtly shifting moods perfectly matched to the events on screen.

This is certainly not the only standout sequence of the episode. Perhaps the most notable are the transition into the flashback,

29gTlE0.jpg

and the extended dream world scene at the end.

ZhrbTmu.jpg

I love a director who pays attention to details. It's both intellectually stimulating, as I analyze and appreciate the skill at work, and emotionally satisfying, as it elicts strong feelings which draw me into the work. These talented people are all too rare, so I cherish the ones that appear.

I should mention again that the music is really excellent, not just its use in show but also as standalone works. The highlight in this episode was the very final piece used during
Shinku's awakening
, which reminded me of some of the vocal tracks in Yoko Kanno's soundtracks.

survivor

Banned
Tamayura ~hitotose~ 12 End
Welcome Back
ixkETQ1UJjte6.png

I wasn't a big fan of the We Exhibition part to be honest and it's funny to see how many people visit an exhibition run by high school girls. I guess this town really is boring when this is considered a big event. However, the second half more than made up for it, dat final photo crying moment.

----

The anime really captured the relaxing and soothing atmosphere perfectly and nailed it down in such a way that it isn't boring to watch which I suppose is a huge accomplishment for a slice of life show that is conflicts-free. Really my only problem is involving any interactions between the girls and the adult characters because the moment that happens the fakeness and artificial happiness of the town becomes more apparent. The anime is at its best when it's focused solely on the main girls and their problems with a bit of :firehawk.

Time to get more AGGRESSIVE tomorrow.

C3-bu 3

I REALLY tried to like this episode, but doing that just made me realize that I just really don't care for the show. The small tournament was disappointing in pretty much all aspects. There weren't any engaging tactics or maneuvers like in say, Girls und Panzer nor were there any high stakes to keep me on my toes if they won or lost the matches. I also still think the characters are boring as sin whether they're voiced by Miyukichi or not. The only good thing about the episode was the finished ED that was pretty cute and still catchy. I think I can now super officially drop this show before I get disappointed one more time.

Also: Short hair Yura >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Long hair Yura

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
The Count of Monte Cristo 16

More Albert being stupid, as usual

Still fun seeing this house of cards crumble.

V8qPtCa.png

Yes, Peppo = best girl. You bad their little romance couldn't get played up more. And oh so traitorous~

"I'm tired of every treating me like a clueless kid!" Well...you kinda are Albert, that's really painfully obvious

Okay, I wanna take this guitar acoustic guitar strum part in the soundtrack they play during dramatic moment and overlay it on a bunch of scenes, comedic and dramatic, from other shows. It's so fucking cheesy.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
C3-bu 3

I REALLY tried to like this episode, but doing that just made me realize that I just really don't care for the show. The small tournament was disappointing in pretty much all aspects. There weren't any engaging tactics or maneuvers like in say, Girls und Panzer nor were there any high stakes to keep me on my toes if they won or lost the matches. I also still think the characters are boring as sin whether they're voiced by Miyukichi or not. The only good thing about the episode was the finished ED that was pretty cute and still catchy. I think I can now super officially drop this show before I get disappointed one more time.

Also: Short hair Yura >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Long hair Yura

Stella Women’s Academy does suffer a bit from what I like to call IGPX syndrome, wherein the show is supposed to be thing X but it is really all about chracter relationships and dynamics, often time boring ones. Indeed Stella here is more girls love show then anything else at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom