• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shergal

Barakamon 1
Solid on all fronts, well-crafted adhering to the standard of quality I expect from Kinema Citrus nowadays. Naru is adorable, and the interactions between all members of the cast are generally pleasant and charming. Particularly, I like how they eased the protagonist into the setting throughout the episode and wrapped up with the visit from the neighbours. Because we get to exchange a few interactions with the townspeople, not just at the end but also with Naru's grandpa at the beginning and then the Chief, it gives a much more concrete shape to the atmosphere of community that the show wants to sell its small town setting on.

The core of the show will obviously be the relationship between our two titular characters, and we got to see Handa's starting point as is usual, so I'm assuming in the next episode or at some near Naru will get some characterization and backstory as well. The episode wasn't flawless or anything, but these kinds of shows always get better as they progress they get to flesh out the character dynamics. So I'm looking forward!

TheRancor

Whatever flaws LOGH has, I still thought it was definitely worth watching, especially if you enjoy space opera. I also loved the cast VA and classical music, so that definitely helped me get through the lack of great production values at times. But I can understand if certain aspects and flaws put people off.

Haikyuu!! Episode 14

They must be saving the new OP for next episode, and this Ed song is nice, though is that really the Ed animation cause it was just a clipshow, mainly.

Episode was pretty good for something taking place in the middle of tournaments. I loved the cameos from the teams like Shiratorizawa, Aobajosai, and one of my favorites Datekou! The tournament is going to be so interesting.
tumblr_n8anoljLxi1rz1zo5o2_500.gif

Yamaguchi development path was best part. Im glad hes on the path to learning the float serve.

Aldnoah.Exposition 1

You people weren't kidding. The dialogue in this episode is so unnatural that it hurts. The premise has potential though, so we'll see how it turns out.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
lupin III vs Detective Conan The Movie

So this is a continuation of the cross over OVA. Definitely has that movie budget feel, and previous ova character interactions persist here. Heck it might have the best animated soccer ball kick from conan yet.

iBKXp7aVLI08s.gif

This is apparently OTP now... which i dont hate.

And that Ending.

O.O

iIjANCyGCg2z7.gif

Any reviews of the DC movie of this year? apparently is has everyone's favorite tomboy in it. And might be canon?

I haven't seen it yet, but I really want to. :) I need to watch this too, I've lost track of what animes are coming out lately. >>;

Your art is godlike.

Thank ye. :)

Might sound a bit weird but the part of Samus's face that is exposed looks like a middle aged man.

I admit while painting this I wanted to make her less anime-y and more bad-ass hardened warrior. Her face came out a little masculine as a result. orz

/XX/

We already had a little tease, with the trailer for the limited theatrical re-release, of what is in store for us with the (this time) Studio Ghibli's curated new transfer for the latest Lupin the Third: Castle of Cagliostro Blu-ray Disc. And now we can see the first captures from this new high-definition digital disc version thanks to Blu-ray.com forums' user Aardvark_DK:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=9403708&postcount=2438

If I had to say one impression about its picture quality is that it feels less treated, or "processed", than in previous releases. Seems like a nice and more natural image to me (I personally prefer this "softness" to it Aardvark_DK aptly mentions that any 'post' effect that make it artificially sharper).

Hattori

Banned
Glasslip
I know slice of life should be grounded in reality and therefore might be a bit mundane, but this show is just extremely boring. There isn't much there for me to like or be excited about.

Future Diary 10

That's the only problem he has with her? No problem with all the other stuff that's happened?

Some of ninths backstory gets revealed, there's a nice, but fake, wedding and Yukki should have no more problems with Yuno now either since she fixed things...

mankoto

World Conquest Zvezda Plot 01
Just saw the name and went with it. I didn't expect this exactly. But that's alright. Seems fun so far.

Nafe

People complaining about the pricing for the SM boxset. SMH.
Its like people just forgot how expensive anime used to be.

Actually, it's this mindset which makes no sense.

Something is less expensive then it was before so now it's okay? No.
That's like saying people shouldn't complain and be grateful a loaf of bread costs $15 when you used to have to pay $25. No. It's still stupidly expensive, it's just that it was even more ridiculously expensive in the past.

That Sailor Moon box set may cost $57 for 23 episodes but that's just half the first series. That's $114 for just the first part. Despite popular belief of Americans not everyone lives in the Unites States as well, so there could be shipping charges on top of that. The series is also comprised of five parts.

Depending what kind of pricing they have it could run you over $500 dollars just to own the whole show.

Tenumi

Banned
Sailor Moon Crystal: 01

That... wasn't too bad, actually. Art style works a lot better in motion. Only downside is the extra wait between episodes...

Rail Wars! Episode 1
Br3qStfCAAABIMU.png

At times its really good while at others times its really bad. Its too bad that it had to throw in the typical scenes in LNs of this nature (fall down bewbie grabbing scene, skirt flying up pervy scene and bashing by femchar, femchar with unfair hatred of men, aggressive femchar , clueless one too). But its good for all the Rail way stuff and I preferred the training combustion scene more than the incident.

ED was one of the best this season.

Narag

Actually, it's this mindset which makes no sense.

Something is less expensive then it was before so now it's okay? No.
That's like saying people shouldn't complain and be grateful a loaf of bread costs $15 when you used to have to pay $25. No. It's still stupidly expensive, it's just that it was even more ridiculously expensive in the past.

That Sailor Moon box set may cost $57 for 23 episodes but that's just half the first series. That's $114 for just the first part. Despite popular belief of Americans not everyone lives in the Unites States as well, so there could be shipping charges on top of that. The series is also comprised of five parts.

Depending what kind of pricing they have it could run you over $500 dollars just to own the whole show.

Ew, didn't realize that was just 23 eps. Thought it was the whole first show for that price which I thought reasonable.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Sailor Moon Crystal 01:

OP was okay, but the episode decidedly didn't leave much of an impression. I'm not a fan of the CG transform but oh well.

duckroll

I think they'll be exaggerating a little. They've been advertising screenings of eps 1 and 2 at Japan Expo in Paris for a while and at the noitaminA cafe this weekend. I doubt it's as down to the wire as that if they're able to get it to Europe in time for a screening a couple of hours previously on a long announced schedule.

(then again I have issues with the trumpeting of the Anime Expo showing as a "world premiere" when people got to see it a few hours beforehand!)

They already screened ep1-2 on June 28th in Japan, so they're definitely bullshitting just to make fans at AX feel more special. It's funny how much stock some people put in PR babbling. :)

Defuser

Aldnoah Zero ep 1

WELCOME TO EARF!!! Too bad not even Will Smith can save 'merica.

But seriously what the hell is wrong with the MC? The guy is personality is like Tatsuya, flat as a cardboard.

I do like this show overall with the characters and the zomg EXPLOSIONS! Although the CGI cars in the nuke explosion is bad imo. As for a certain somebody......it's Valvrave Shoko all over again.

jbug617

Banned
Glasslip
I know slice of life should be grounded in reality and therefore might be a bit mundane, but this show is just extremely boring. There isn't much there for me to like or be excited about.

I understand where you are coming from. Seemed like nothing really happened that episode other than the rude transfer student.

30 minutes until Akame.

I have a spare CR guest pass for someone who needs one.

Akame is available in these territories:

USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Netherlands, Scandinavia, Latin America and Turkey.

man I've lost almost all interest in my backlog. I guess it got so big it's now overwhelming and there's not a single title outside of Legend of the Galactic Heroes I straight up want to watch. So maybe I'll move on to that whenever I feel like watching a show. See what all the buzz is about.

Future Diary 11

Nothing could be further from the truth.

Yukki seems to have
killed or severely injured somebody
then, some more info about Fourth gets revealed and old alliance deals gets broken and new ones form, if only for the time being.

Tenumi

Banned
Sword Art Online II: 01

That was a pretty good beginning. Unlike some others around here, I like Asuna. She was a pretty good character before the ALO "arc" made her a generic damsel-in-distress. So far, so good. Helps to try and give the show a fresh start, give it a reason for you to dislike it instead of disliking it for the first season's disasters.

Narag

Sword Art Online II: 01

She was a pretty good character before the ALO "arc" made her a generic damsel-in-distress.

Really don't think people would have as much trouble with her if not for this and the high speed romancing. She started off really well, strong & competent.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Transformer: Age of extinction
I can't believe seeing transforming robot duking it out with each other could be.. boring.
The visual is nice i guess. Oh well, i'm not the one paying the ticket, so that's okay i guess...

Barakamon 1
Dis's mighty good Love the setting, the character. Could be the best SoL show for this season.

mankoto

World Conquest Zvezda Plot 03

7hgV9aY.jpg

Alright, now they got me. This episode was absolutely hilarious. I might not like the smell of smoke as much as the next guy, but to start a war/purge them is a little much

One Piece 651

No, I did no tear up at anypoint during Rebecca's flashback

Especially during the scene when she was shaking her dead mom and calling out to her.

I....I just happened to have something in my eye that's all.

Glad to hear Barakamon was picked up for both streaming and home video. Also hope FUNimation won't mess up the home video release whether it be the discs or the packaging, otherwise I will just shell out the $250 to import the BDs. Can't wait for Yen Press to get the manga out too.

Did anything come from the Sunrise panel yesterday? I didn't see any livestreams for the panel, let alone any news afterward. FUNimation and Sentai didn't announce anything for their Sunrise licenses, so I assume we are going to have to wait until Otakon when those licenses were initially announced last year. Otakon is only one month away, so I hope it happens then.

Akame ga KILL! 1

Yep, that was awesome. Loved how the girl's face was done when
she was exposed and went on her rant about why she kills them.

We're still a few episodes away from best girl being introduced, but I love Leone too.

Nice to see they still kept it quite gory, although it could have been gorier.

I like the OP and ED.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom