• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

Saw the first episode of Sailor Moon Crystal. Not bad. Will probably stick with it. Watching the original show with my sister was fun enough back in the day.

Thoraxes

I'll talk about Terror in Resonance in a bit. My phone has been dead all day and today was another madhouse. Here's the KLK panel and some minor Inafune bits.

*AWESOME WRITE-UP HERE*

Holy shit, thank you for the write-ups man! This is all really really awesome!

Also I really like this too lol: "-Was it ever considered for school to turn into giant robot? Episode 25 will answer your question."

Jarmel

Banned
Terror in Resonance 1-2

So I was in the fucked up theater. Took them half an hour to fix the source. Funniest thing ever at a con.

So the first two episodes are pretty slow. That said I love the atmosphere in both episodes. The striking thing about the show is the character animation. There are some really great shots of the characters. One in particular was
Twelve on the stairs. You could see how dangerous and cold blooded he was, just in his eyes. He's still smiling like always but for the first time, he looks like a killer. The lighting does wonders here

I'm surprised by Twelve as a character actually. I expected him to be annoying but he's a really dynamic character and works as a good contrast with Nine. They also both have good chemistry with each other.

A lot of you guys are going to hate the 2nd episode though as it's pretty exposition heavy.

jman2050

Sword Art Online II 1

ohhellnawbbs8d.gif

JCG

Space Dandy - 14

Crazy and ridiculous in the best possible way. I didn't get all the references and probably won't do so even on rewatch, but it was still entertaining as hell.

Also, good to see Goro Taniguchi doing the storyboards again.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sword Art Online II 1 addendum:

How could I be remiss in exploring perhaps greatest character introduction shot in the history of visual art?
One might suggest that this shot is simple "fanservice", but one must remember that this is a virtual avatar. This is more than just fanservice, but an expression of post-human sexuality. This lingering camera is not the socalled "male gaze", but instead it is a "cyborg male gaze". We are not meant to sexualize this new character, who is also a strong female protagonist, but instead we are meant to understand that sex will move beyond meeting another person in "meat space" and exchanging bodily fluids with them. In this post-human cyborg future, sex becomes more than just an act of carnal desire culminating in procreation... indeed, it is an act that is much more pure and intimate. Kirito and Asuna becoming parents of the virtual Yui has shown a future where sexless procreation is possible. Without the limitations of meat space, sex itself will become an euphoric strictly mental act that is the culmination of the search for the liminal.

Jarmel

Banned
Oh and to respond to an earlier question, Terror in Resonance is closer to Aku no Hana and Kids on the Slope than Eden of the East.

How could I be remiss in exploring perhaps greatest character introduction shot in the history of visual art?

One might suggest that this shot is simple "fanservice", but one must remember that this is a virtual avatar. This is more than just fanservice, but an expression of post-human sexuality. This lingering camera is not the socalled "male gaze", but instead it is a "cyborg male gaze". We are not meant to sexualize this new character, who is also a strong female protagonist, but instead we are meant to understand that sex will move beyond meeting another person in "meat space" and exchanging bodily fluids with them. In this post-human cyborg future, sex becomes more than just an act of carnal desire culminating in procreation... indeed, it is an act that is much more pure and intimate. Kirito and Asuna becoming parents of the virtual Yui has shown a future where sexless procreation is possible. Without the limitations of meat space, sex itself will become an euphoric strictly mental act that is the culmination of the search for the liminal.
Also Miyukichi, the greatest work of art.

Why are people saying Anime is saved, I thought it was already saved. By series like Hunter X Hunter and Gintama. Though I still need to watch Space Dandy.

Jex

Props for using the term "meat space".

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I finally found the joy of Valvrave! Maybe I'm just deluding myself but the shows use of social media and golden gem lines like "...for the sake of our friendship, please die." that caused me to lose my shit -- all that coupled with some mix of cringe worth but melodic soundtrack, I know think this is an amazing show. Getting to episode 6 was painful but I feel like its finally paying out. I still have a long journey ahead of me though.

Jex

Aldnoah.Zero Spoilers
In reply to your question in the spoiler tag
I'm sure she was sent down with hardly any backup because the Vars warring faction intended for her to die to use her as a reason to invade earth. I am sure that behind all of it was actually a Vars faction not earth terrorists, even if it was earth terrorists, I bet they were being supported by Vars guys without the earth guys knowing it, Kinda like how the Tea Party gets the majority of its financing from major corporate groups yet a lot of tea partiers don't realize it.
I realise that this is the case but it's just crazy implausible that you'd let her go down there practically undefended. How do you explain to the royal family that she got instantly assassinated because you basically set her up to die? Isn't it entirely Count what-his-face's problem and won't he imprisoned or killed for his failure? Why was she in a car anyway, and not flying in a future vehicle? etc etc etc. It's just too much.
There's a timeline on the official site which sheds more details on the setting. It definitely answers the first question, but it'll probably be explained in more detail on the show itself eventually too.

Mars was not originally in direct conflict with Earth. The first emperor of Mars - Rayregalia, was originally one of the first scientists sent to investigate the planet following the discovery of the Hypergate on the moon, and one of the founding colonists. When he ruled Mars, there was only a cold war with Earth, and what Mars wanted was independence. Later on he got old and ill, and his son took over as emperor. That was what triggered the direct invasion of Earth in 1999, and they fucked up with the Hypergate and destroyed the moon, causing Heaven's Fall. The son was killed in the conflict, and rule reverted back to the elderly Rayregalia. There was a cease-fire treaty arranged shortly after, and things have been at an uneasy standstill since then.

Since Rayregalia only turned again Earth and fought for independence after some sort of discovery, and this looks like a fairly traditional sort of scifi story, I think we can surmise that he found something regarding the Aldnoah which he felt he had to keep away from Earth and attempt to guard it himself. He probably doesn't actually want war, but in trying to protect the secret he ended up arming a whole bunch of crazy people who have developed racist ideologies over the decades and are more than happy to wipe Earth out if no one stops them. Lol.
Thanks. this explains quite a bit. Except
I'm not sure how Martians become this crazy complicated race of people with multiple knightly factions who are all space-racists in like, the 40 years that their entire 'race' has existed. Isn't that really quick? And an instant royal family? Well, I suppose it isn't that implausible, but it just felt like they've existed for hundreds of years.

TUSR

Banned

you mean kirito hasnt hit that yet?

Jex

Honestly speaking, was this episode really that offensive?

I don't think so, which means we can only hope that it gets much worse! I'm sure firehawk12 will have something useful to say about Kirito's cross-gender status later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom