• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 16

iSNCvwr3NBC4B.jpg

CG doner kebab. Is there anything left for anime to CG?

SAO 2 3
I can't help but laugh at that bullying scene. That is not how mental trauma works, i'm pretty sure. If she has that bad reaction to essentially someone pointing at her, she needs to be in a hospital and get therapy. Also, the flashback is also weird. I'm pretty sure that if the gun was the central point of trauma, she would be afraid at least right after
shooting him in the head, not when she saw the blood.
The other scene with trauma wasn't so bad.

I had dat 'gasm and replayed this a few times. You knew SHIT GOT REAL when he was ready to snap. You know what the sad part is? He's stunting THE WHOLE TIME. He fucking somersaulted and juggled pistols upside down while shooting accurately.

This is the biggest PWNED moment, IMHO, since Setsuna went ET on dudes and spawned powers out of his ass. Jesus Yamato envies his ability to ass pull. LOL at the President being stunned that he's that good. 'The fuck she did expect? He's above that school, their caste system, and all the administrators.

He's an elite special forces soldier pretending to be a student, IMHO. I need a spinoff series focused solely on him. Send him on espionage missions. He's a genius pretending to have a pseudo sister complex.

The really messed up part is that he could've kept going but saw that they had an advantage and trusted in his teammates. Certain arcs could've ended in a week if he showed his full potential. Hopefully their victory demonstrates that the caste system needs to go. All of them are the elites of the school. Morisaki someone shooting high velocity arrows at pictures of Tatsuya somewhere. I might buy this on blu-ray if they ever release dubs.

This might be anime of the summer but then again I need to review some more material.

Brah you haven't even seen shit yet, just wait for the Yokohama Disturbance which is the next Arc. You'll see his true form. This is definitely my guilty pleasure.

As for anime of the summer mine is Barakamon, it's a really great show.

Because you get to see Batman beating some ass, flipping around. Man though I can't wait till the next arc we will get to see his final form.

:/

But.... I don't want too....

I just want to see the action scen-

Payment for suffering through 8 boring ass episodes.

Sounds like it's not worth it than.

Tell that to Final Fantasy.

A couple JRPGs would like to have a word with you

Ahahahahahahaha. Thanks for the laugh!

Mokoi

Banned
Because you get to see Batman beating some ass, flipping around. Man though I can't wait till the next arc we will get to see his final form.

Batman! what is this blasphemy. You can call onii-san or whatever his name is a God. However, batman is going too far. There is only one animu batman, and that is chinese electric batman Hei. Also UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ.

The soundtrack is really good in dark than black although the same can't be said about that sequel.

Furyous

The anime alludes to a situation where another organization is threatening the country. Imagine a series where the MC goes on covert missions. Think Ghost in the Shell with magic and strategic elements.

Brah you haven't even seen shit yet, just wait for the Yokohama Disturbance which is the next Arc. You'll see his true form. This is definitely my guilty pleasure.

Spoil me please. I'm caught up on the english translated manga but spoil me, please.

Pupipo! - End

Wow. A powerful conclusion to a show that was way better than I expected from its opening episodes. The last time a series surprised me this much in widening its scope and depth from its opening was the manga Getenrou. Quite easily the best short anime I've seen; the way it was able to build affection for its characters and investment in their fate during its meager run-time is nothing short of miraculous. And somehow it never feels rushed; there's a meditative tone to the whole thing, helped by the chamber music soundtrack. It also helps that it's well-produced throughout, with good animation and art and direction that rarely misses a beat. It's rare to find TV anime that tells a complete, satisfying narrative, let alone one with 4 minute episodes, so this is truly a show to be cherished.

It's a shame that Pupipo has flown under the radar, likely due to it being a short series that wasn't licensed for streaming. If you haven't seen it, go watch it right now! It's only 15 episodes x 4 minutes = 1 hour in total! You can spare that much time! I'll definitely be campaigning for this when AOTY voting comes around. A miniature masterpiece, the kind of show that reminds me why I watch anime.

JCG

Man, absolutely nothing I've ever heard or seen about Mahouka makes me remotely interested in watching it.

So it seems they finally pulled off an exciting action scene? Okay, but it doesn't change the fact there's no reason to feel any investment when the tension is non-existent and the protagonist remains a boring invincible superman.

There are many ways to make overpowered characters interesting, particularly when you actually give them certain personality quirks, some sort of competition or conflict, use them for humor on occasion and otherwise make them struggle a bit or perhaps lose a few battles even if you know they're going to win in the end (like, say, the titular Jojo from JJBA or Lelouch from Geass among others, where being OP isn't all that problematic and -more importantly- not nearly as boring to watch).

Tatsuya just looks like he's got cheat mode on and nothing is ever going to stand in his way in any meaningful fashion. Doesn't even sound particularly entertaining.

The anime alludes to a situation where another organization is threatening the country. Imagine a series where the MC goes on covert missions. Think Ghost in the Shell with magic and strategic elements.

Spoil me please. I'm caught up on the english translated manga but spoil me, please.

I ain't gonna spoil, you gotta wait and see. Just gonna say though in the beginning of episode 1 you see that nuke he does. Yeah that's how strong he is.

wonzo

Banned
Pupipo! - End

Wow. A powerful conclusion to a show that was way better than I expected from its opening episodes. The last time a series surprised me this much in widening its scope and depth from its opening was the manga Getenrou. Quite easily the best short anime I've seen; the way it was able to build affection for its characters and investment in their fate during its meager run-time is nothing short of miraculous. And somehow it never feels rushed; there's a meditative tone to the whole thing, helped by the chamber music soundtrack. It also helps that it's well-produced throughout, with good animation and art and direction that rarely misses a beat. It's rare to find TV anime that tells a complete, satisfying narrative, let alone one with 4 minute episodes, so this is truly a show to be cherished.

It's a shame that Pupipo has flown under the radar, likely due to it being a short series that wasn't licensed for streaming. If you haven't seen it, go watch it right now! It's only 15 episodes x 4 minutes = 1 hour in total! You can spare that much time! I'll definitely be campaigning for this when AOTY voting comes around. A miniature masterpiece, the kind of show that reminds me why I watch anime.
mods pls sticky this post. rip pupipo ot ;-;7

I had dat 'gasm and replayed this a few times. You knew SHIT GOT REAL when he was ready to snap. You know what the sad part is? He's stunting THE WHOLE TIME. He fucking somersaulted and juggled pistols upside down while shooting accurately.

This is the biggest PWNED moment, IMHO, since Setsuna went ET on dudes and spawned powers out of his ass. Jesus Yamato envies his ability to ass pull. LOL at the President being stunned that he's that good. 'The fuck she did expect? He's above that school, their caste system, and all the administrators.

He's an elite special forces soldier pretending to be a student, IMHO. I need a spinoff series focused solely on him. Send him on espionage missions. He's a genius pretending to have a pseudo sister complex.

The really messed up part is that he could've kept going but saw that they had an advantage and trusted in his teammates. Certain arcs could've ended in a week if he showed his full potential. Hopefully their victory demonstrates that the caste system needs to go. All of them are the elites of the school. Morisaki someone shooting high velocity arrows at pictures of Tatsuya somewhere. I might buy this on blu-ray if they ever release dubs.

This might be anime of the summer but then again I need to review some more material.
I must admit i watched this episode 3 times.
i really liked it and i knew about it since i've already read the books
This stuff here is "small time" ...yet that was already kira yamato level

Yokohama disturbance is a great arc but the flashback arc is for me when stuff became "over the top" ..young tatsuya is just ...JUST...

There are many ways to make overpowered characters interesting, particularly when you actually give them certain personality quirks, some sort of competition or conflict, use them for humor on occasion and otherwise make them struggle a bit or perhaps lose a few battles even if you know they're going to win in the end (like, say, the titular Jojo from JJBA .

Which one? Because there's like 8 Jojos. Or is it all of them?

Man, absolutely nothing I've ever heard or seen about Mahouka makes me remotely interested in watching it.

So it seems they finally pulled off an exciting action scene? Okay, but it doesn't change the fact there's no reason to feel any investment when the tension is non-existent and the protagonist remains a boring invincible superman.

There are many ways to make overpowered characters interesting, particularly when you actually give them certain personality quirks, some sort of competition or conflict, use them for humor on occasion and otherwise make them struggle a bit or perhaps lose a few battles even if you know they're going to win in the end (like, say, the titular Jojo from JJBA or Lelouch from Geass among others, where being OP isn't all that problematic and -more importantly- not nearly as boring to watch).

Tatsuya just looks like he's got cheat mode on and nothing is ever going to stand in his way in any meaningful fashion.

Well it's been said that there's one person like him in Japan. And 50 more throughout the world which will come out to play later on in the story. So he ain't the only OP person out there. Unlike the characters you have brought he's been pretty much fighting fodder enemies and not any big shots.

School Days 08

WYOCTzv.png
AF9mINV.png

I laughed way too hard at this.

Again we continue to see just how amazing and wonderful Makoto is. He is there to console Sekai after being abused for no reason by Kotonoha. Makoto is just spreading the love! We also get to see the most amazing school festival event ever in anime. Zombies, imoutos, sexy maids and mascots. A true sight to behold for such a wondrous occasion.

Class rep-san requires aid from Makoto after the festival and he is more than willing to help. After carrying several kilograms worth of boxes from the store to the school he is so exhausted and collapses in the classroom alone with class rep-san. Obviously Makoto is the greatest human being in existence so she feels the need to reward him for his deeds and what a reward it is! You go Makoto for you are the idol of men everywhere.

Space Dandy 16:
Yuasa saves anime.

That was a visual delight from start to finish. At the beginning I was surprised by how normal things seemed, but then it quickly went full on weird. Lovely to watch.

Gazoinks

Aldnoah Zero 1

Pretty alright. Can't really say anything on the MCs yet, as they don't have much of a role yet and also I can't remember the name of Earth Lad. I was kind of bored by the first half of setup, as a lot of both the setup and characters felt kind of cliche,
such as the princess' incredibly obvious "HELLO I AM GOING TO DIE SOON" speech in the elevator,
but I felt it picked up as it went on so I'm interested enough to keep watching.

Mature

Lupin III vs. Detective Conan: The Movie
So I don't have too much to say about this movie, but I do feel a divine responsibility in at least encouraging others to seek it out because it's so much fun.
iIhcujDyqqW2t.png

Interestingly enough, Lupin III vs. Detective Conan: The Movie doesn't really do what either series does well and crafts it into the centerpiece of the film. The TV special that precedes the film and marks the first crossover of the two series felt a bit like it was Detective Conan's show that happened to feature the cast of Lupin with a bit of their hijinks thrown in there from time to time. The end result was serviceable, but didn't feel like much outside of a new DC special with cameos. And while instead not focusing on one or both for the movie sounds a bit directionless, it actually pays out in dividends in the end result. You see, this crossover movie's crown jewel (if you'll pardon the expression) is in it's insane, over the top scenes. It's formula is pretty simple: take one character from either series, put them together and let fun ensue. It's fanservice at it's most potent and pleasurable.

Though this method wouldn't amount to much if it had flimsy storyboarding and production. Thankfully, it succeeds pretty heartily in both areas. The action sequences are thrilling with lots of eye catching sakuga. Even outside of action sequences, there's some fun character acting and some time tested humor from both respective series. The character art can vary people wildly, but generally the focus of any given shot is of movie quality.
Honestly, the story itself is a bit of a mess. They take full advantage of the two title character's previous meeting and weave together plotlines from that first special with the happenings of this new movie. It's a bit unnecessary and ends up pretty convoluted, but even as a story that acts as an excuse for the parts that follow, it fulfills it's job well enough. If you're watching and you feel like you're missing something, don't sweat it, just enjoy the ride. They make it a point not to linger too long in these areas— the pacing is pretty frenetic.
Both Conan and Lupin's universe tend to include a lot of vehicles. Contrary to Lupin (well, old Lupin at least, can't speak on a lot of newer stuff) Detective Conan tends to utilize a lot of (oft times poor) CG to compensate for the sheer amount of vehicles that the setting and story call for. So I was pleasantly surprised to see how there was no CG machinery anywhere here. Everything from cars, boats, airplanes and helicopters are represented pretty well here. It's sort of a small detail since they're not often the focus, but coming from someone who's been through 17 DC Movies who's latter half are riddled with scene ruining CG, this was a definite breath of fresh air. In short, there was a certain extra level of love and respect put into the movie that I think people will enjoy.

If you have even a passing interest in either of these two series, I highly recommend giving this one a watch.
jlu0MuIVFWzoP.png

Lupin III vs. Detective Conan: The Movie
So I don't have too much to say about this movie, but I do feel a divine responsibility in at least encouraging others to seek it out because it's so much fun.

[SNIP]

If you have even a passing interest in either of these two series, I highly recommend giving this one a watch.
jlu0MuIVFWzoP.png

Good write up. Loved the movie so much I watched it twice in as many days, with a rewatch of the first crossover in between.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sword Art Online 3: Guns don't kill people!

So, explanation of Sinon's background aside - and making her a high school girl makes the whole thing meaningless anyway because it becomes a construct for crappy light novels instead of an actual character - I can at least buy using virtual reality to work out PTSD since both the Canadian and American military are using the technology to try to treat their soldiers. She had an experience with guns and now it haunts her, fine.

And hey, they even go for the easy visual metaphor:
OpH1dfJl.jpg

HVlIaXel.jpg

She's stripping her real world self and trying to embody an idealization of what she wants to be. Ignoring the fact that it's a thing that seems to be done with female characters more often than with male characters, I can't really complain too much about this cut of animation.

The problem is that when we are with Kirito and see his hijinks, we see things like this:
FJDtOIKl.jpg

I just have to question the motives of the director at that point. Like did he go for the nude = vulnerable metaphor because he wanted an excuse to have a naked girl in the episode? Admittedly this show primes me to watch out for this stuff more than I would otherwise. And certainly a show like Jinsei, which has egregious fanservice is equally or even more offensive, but I find it hard to trust this franchise not to have ulterior motives.

On a side note, I love that they take the time to remind us of this idiot:
fnraV6el.jpg

Remember this sociopathic asshole who killed hundreds of people for an experiment that doesn't make any sense whatsoever? Also, he is the reason why Kirito is MMO Jesus, just in case you forgot how badass Kirito was in this world.

The fact that the lens flare is right over his eyes is hilarious to me because I'm sure they thought it was a cool effect, but I just figure it means that he was blinded and had no vision whatsoever.

xx0B6rNl.jpg

And look at this shot. You might as well have him licking a picture of a crying Sinon, because that's the kind of villain that he's clearly going to end up being. It's just so disgustingly cheap these days to have a villain who is either completely and inexplicably evil just because it will ultimately make your hero look better. Even the camp versions of these heroes aren't interesting any more, because in anime they have no real motivation other than they need to be there for the protagonist to punch.

I suppose the only real thing I can say is that the show is stunningly average right now. I'm not sure if I should hope that it gets worse, or if I should be "happy" that it's not completely terrible.

Shergal

Dandy 16
Some good ol' Yuasa fun. First half was a bit slow and static, but the 2nd half picked up wonderfully and was a delight.

Special mention to the first appearance of Shinya Ohira in a TV episode since Windy Tales (2004)! I'm sure everyone who watched the episode knows what part he did, and boy was it amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom