• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shergal

he was fine in water 7...
I grew tired of him wining in punk hazard even if it was justified...
perhaps it wasn't so bad in the manga.... but it was way to drawn out in the anime.

I am not saying chopper and sanji don't have their moments, but hands down the show would be better without out them as you could focus on the more interesting characters.... as it is right now it's to fragmented and even the bits of the manga I read often feel like nothing gets done since they are trying to cover so many different things.
Post-timeskip One Piece has been pretty awful in general, really. The crew have all become completely static characters, which is fine in the climax moments when they get to do the cool moves and sport all the badass one-liners and stuff -this has always been one of the strong suits of the series-, but all the down-time between those amounts to how much worth Oda can pull from the arc-only characters. It's rather sad to see the show becoming a clusterfuck of 'shit getting real' moments piling on top of each other in the latest arc, with no rhyme or reason and barely any sense of adventure.

Post-timeskip One Piece has been pretty awful in general, really. The crew have all become completely static characters, which is fine in the climax moments when they get to do the cool moves and sport all the badass one-liners and stuff -this has always been one of the strong suits of the series-, but all the down-time between those amounts to how much Oda can pull from the arc-only characters. It's rather sad to see the show becoming a clusterfuck of 'shit getting real' moments piling one on top of each other in the latest arc, with no rhyme or reason and barely any sense of adventure.

For a series that is long as hell and is still ongoing, it isn't a problem for me.

Lets just say almost everything is better portrayed in the manga than the anime.

To be fair, this extents to almost everything. Especially genres! Those are better portrayed in manga than anime
That's why manga doesn't get the same SHIT WE DO for lewd

Post-timeskip One Piece has been pretty awful in general, really. The crew have all become completely static characters, which is fine in the climax moments when they get to do the cool moves and sport all the badass one-liners and stuff -this has always been one of the strong suits of the series-, but all the down-time between those amounts to how much worth Oda can pull from the arc-only characters. It's rather sad to see the show becoming a clusterfuck of 'shit getting real' moments piling one on top of each other in the latest arc, with no rhyme or reason and barely any sense of adventure.

And this is pretty much why I stopped reading One Piece. Checking on it earlier today, the Dressrosa ordeal still isn't fucking over. Ugh. It's almost as if Oda is... attempting to make manga chapters more like an anime just to help them in their slog.

Mature

I like how cunt was used instead of vagina. I don't know why. Probably to prove a statement.
I don't mean to sound so rough around the edges. I just think it's pretty shitty how people are acting all victimized when it's an entirely reasonable rule made to better the community.

Post-timeskip One Piece has been pretty awful in general, really. The crew have all become completely static characters, which is fine in the climax moments when they get to do the cool moves and sport all the badass one-liners and stuff -this has always been one of the strong suits of the series-, but all the down-time between those amounts to how much Oda can pull from the arc-only characters. It's rather sad to see the show becoming a clusterfuck of 'shit getting real' moments piling one on top of each other in the latest arc, with no rhyme or reason and barely any sense of adventure.

For a series that is long as hell and is still ongoing, it isn't a problem for me.

Narag

I don't mean to sound so rough around the edges. I just think it's pretty shitty how people are acting all victimized when it's an entirely reasonable rule made to better the community.

On the other hand, if it was business as usual but with tighter moderation, it might result in that much needed cull.

Jokes aside, it really has grown tiresome that people need every possible scenario delineated to curb their poor judgement.

Vylash

Gintama?

Anyway, I'd hardly call OP homophobic. Said characters are shown in a pretty positive light. Hell, one of them is among the most likable characters in the series.

It's a mixed bag, with Sanji they were portrayed as disgusting and repulsive, but with Luffy they were portrayed as people living life the way they wanted to

Mature

Looks like Harmony Gold is releasing sets of Robotech and the original Super Dimensional Fortress Macross bundled together in sets. As much as it would pain me to give Harmony Gold money, this is a pretty convenient way to own the series. Though the set quality will probably be horrific for one reason or another so I probably wont have to.

Narag

Looks like Harmony Gold is releasing sets of Robotech and the original Super Dimensional Fortress Macross bundled together in sets. As much as it would pain me to give Harmony Gold money, this is a pretty convenient way to own the series. Though the set quality will probably be horrific for one reason or another so I probably wont have to.

I could have saved $200 if I'd just waited 12 years.

Eureka Seven - 39

Now I want an anime where many mecha protagonists from different shows all form different teams and play soccer against each other. The mecha could be the team mascots!

Fun soccer match aside, this was a nice cooldown episode. Essentially serving as a calm before the storm, as the last scene of the episode hints.

So the Gekkostate team is going to traverse the Great Wall, while Dewey and his pals attack it at the same time. Oh boy.

Quasar

Even at that price I'm pretty unwilling to give Harmony Gold my money. Of course I'm also pretty unwilling to buy actual DVDs these days. And 9 episodes per disc sounds pretty compressed.

It's a mixed bag, with Sanji they were portrayed as disgusting and repulsive, but with Luffy they were portrayed as people living life the way they wanted to

Yeah, I can see how certain characters can be portrayed as offensive stereotypes, but I've heard interpretations on both sides. At the very least, not a single one is a bad guy (currently) and most aren't much more goofy than the rest of the cast, and even low key ones like Inazuma. Then there's all the speculation about Crocodile (no idea how likely that is, though).

Clov

I heard about this, pretty surprised that it's happening. Neat, I think!

Maybe in a few years I'll finally get that DYRL BD.

cajunator

Banned
Depression isn't really all that mysterious.

*huggu :(
Youre such an INCREDIBLE artist. One of the very best IVe seen. Keep your head high!

This is getting so old, so fast.

Listen: It's obviously not a hard and fast rule of this much skin shown = ban. None of you actually believe that. There's something to be said about the framing and intent of a picture that should be exceedingly obvious, but I guess isn't. A wide angle picture of a woman in a swimsuit just standing there is probably not bannable. A picture of a woman wearing a swimsuit where the majority of the shot is her cunt and ass obviously is.

And yall complained about my cuteness obsession. Least I dont post this kind of stuff.

Yeah, I can see how certain characters can be portrayed as offensive stereotypes, but I've heard interpretations on both sides. At the very least, not a single one is a bad guy (currently) and most aren't much more goofy than the rest of the cast, and even low key ones like Inazuma. Then there's all the speculation about Crocodile (no idea how likely that is, though).

Yeah One Piece is supposed to be goofy and funny. I doubt it's supposed to be offensive.

Noragami OAD 2

ae740aa2a2.jpg

This episode is like those stories of the Greek asshole gods who get piss drunk then do stupid things.
Kofuku still da bess

S2 when?

Elfen Lied 02

This is hilarious on so many different levels. I can tell this anime is trying to take itself seriously with grim dark like tones but we have a character with pink hair and fluffy ears who can only say her name as the number one killing machine. I'm surprised she doesn't have a matching tail.

That soldier guy was ridiculously over the top. Let me point my gun at my comrades to show what a bad ass I am. The way he thrashed about while being ripped a new one was funny in a weird way.

Finally we have MC-kun who for some reason thinks it's his responsibility to take care of naked animal girl. The changing scene at the end where he takes off her pants just as his friend pokes her head in the room was cringe worthy on so many levels.

I'm having fun so far, let's see how this continues...

Branduil

9 episodes per disc?

More like Super Dimensional Fortress Macroblockss.

And yall complained about my cuteness obsession. Least I dont post this kind of stuff.

Not on GAF anyway.

Quasar

I heard about this, pretty surprised that it's happening. Neat, I think!

Maybe in a few years I'll finally get that DYRL BD.

It makes me wonder about Robotech...would it be technically possible to produce a remastered in HD set? Would that amount to taking the Macross BD materials and then re-edit it in line with Robotech?

Narag

It makes me wonder about Robotech...would it be technically possible to produce a remastered in HD set? Would that amount to taking the Macross BD materials and then re-edit it in line with Robotech?

Is it even worth the hassle if you don't do the whole series?

dani_dc

Sounds like they're portrayed depending on the characters own views, I don't think it's fair to call a series homophobic due to one of it's characters being homophobic.
While exaggerated in tone (but what isn't in One Piece?), the Okama are definitively portrayed as good (and happy) characters for most of the series (specifically during their interactions with Luffy), going all the way back to Mr.2 saving the Straw Hats in the Alabasta arc.

Midonin

Pri Para 04

Every girl in town is a member of the Paradise. I know the show's not trying to present it that way, but seeing it as an independent city-state where the primary export is idol culture makes it more fun. I do it because I love. Principal Gloria is kinda cuckoo. Eating at Lala's house is fine since it's an Italian place - I'd eat there, too - but going up into her room is on par with what Miyo Masuko was doing back in HaCha. Have you no concept of privacy?

I did like the B-plot, with Lala meeting a fan of hers and her song inspiring her in the course of her tennis match. Streaming media, it's a thing. So if Eiko's a tennis player by day and an idol by later in the day, I wonder what that something is that makes a girl decide to turn idoling into her major career instead of using it as an escape from Japanese society. Not every girl has a Prism Voice like Lala, but the show's emphasizing that it's about the shared social experience as much as it is rising in the rankings.

Dance number is the same as it ever was, but I'm thankful most of it cut away to Eiko this time. The show starting three months later than its predecessors means that the summer plotlines are the ones starting it. Hmm. Thankfully, Sofie's moving into the spotlight since we're starting with a trio number next week. Last year's "Rosette Nebula" was my second most favorite song, so I don't know if any of these numbers can top that, but I'll appreciate having a new song that's not the OP.

Also liked the cameo by Cosmo. She's been in the franchise since one of the 3DS games, but Sofie is actually her sister. (Also, those games' graphics pale in comparison to the 2D. 2D Rinne is adorable. 3DCG Rinne is nightmarish.)

I never knew that Blood C show was so gory. I just saw a youtube video of it that brought back a bad memory of the one time I decided to look up what Genocyber was on the same site.

I'm not sure if it's ok to post the link so I'll play it safe. Suffice to say that it's completely turned me off from ever wanting to watch it.

Narag

I never knew that Blood C show was so gory. I just saw a youtube video of it that brought back a bad memory of the one time I decided to look up what Genocyber was on the same site.

I'm not sure if it's ok to post the link so I'll play it safe. Suffice to say that it's completely turned me off from ever wanting to watch it.

Watching it censored is probably the way to go anyhow. Excessive censoring during the violence adds to the black humor.

Jarmel

Banned
The Place Promised in Our Early Days-
Yep, didn't really like this one either. The first half dragged on for way too long. I understand that it was setting up the dynamic of the trio and their relationships but it never really felt that engrossing and just felt boring. Of course, the 2nd half somewhat rectifies this problem but creates a whole other set of problems. The 2nd part of the film is Evangelion-lite and I thought it was way too overdramatic. So you have a movie where there are two parts that are seemingly way too divergent compared to each other and aren't that engrossing by their own right.
The character designs are a slight setup from Voices of a Distant Star, and I do emphasize the slight part. They're still ugly as fuck and again remind me of something from Key. I'm really hoping that 5cm is better on this front. Sayuri is well animated just in how she does these little skips and the animation does a decent enough job of portraying how animated she is. Part of the reason I'm so harsh on the character designs is how beautiful the background art looks. Shinkai really has a hard-on for lens flares and DOF shots.
I feel like the film undercuts itself way too many times such as the prologue ruining the happy tone of the ending.
The prologue pretty much establishes that either Sayuri died or she and Hiroki went their separate ways. This really contradicts the tone of the ending in which Hiroki states that they can start making new memories and start their relationship anew. Welp, looks like he was wrong.
The film just doesn't know what it wants to be so it's juggling way too much to have anything profound to say. The technobabble in the 2nd half is completely overbearing and compared to the 'slice-of-life' stuff in the 1st half, it just comes across as the ramblings of a mad man. It's not interesting or good scifi and it takes up so much of the film. Maybe it would have been better as a TV series where there would have been more time to flesh out so many ideas present in the movie, maybe not(probably not). There's also so many lazy storytelling concepts in the story like the characters knowing what they need to do seemingly magically or Sayuri having some bullshit connection to the tower.
How does Sayuri's grandfather being the one who invented the tower grant her psychic links to the tower? Like wut?
ip4704g3bg30R.jpg

Shinji get in the fucking airplane.
I just don't think the themes of isolation and separation were really communicated all that well as they were bogged down in some nonsensical alternate universe shit. The war stuff further dramatized stuff to an absurd level and then the bomb is dropped on the audience that if
Sayuri wakes up, the world will be overwritten
. Really guys? That leads to shit like this:
http://i.minus.com/ibo5oPjBGB6IOj.jpg
http://i.minus.com/iB1JviZjcVodQ.jpg
At that point I was ready to check out. Bags ready for pickup. All of this was just way too much. I did appreciate the violin compositions but the violin aspect was again so tangential that I'm just left with a frown on my face.

Just watched the Toradora OVA which I didn't know existed until today and then rewatched some of the episodes. Dem feels man. I just looked up the author and saw that they have another series called Golden Time. Is that one worth watching and does it measure up to Toradora?

golden time is okay i would say toradora is better but golden time does have its moments for sure imo

edit: also in my personal opinion shinkai films really should be watched rather sparingly or kinda in a fixed order since his older films are pretty rough around the edges :T

Just finished Baccano main series with my friends. Chances are we'll finish the final 2-3 episodes (aka the ova's) this sunday. They really liked it. I forgot how gory this show is. I can't believe this gore makes it to anime but fucking Tokyo Ghoul needs to Instagram lo-fi my ass to censor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom