• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yama no Susume S2 3

gOKaxfX.jpg

I really like the intricate shadows used when the girls are in forested areas. This show has such lovely character art.

Hugstable

Banned
Idolm@ster Episode 17

This episode is just adorable in every way possible. It was really cute seeing Makoto want to be the princess instead but still ends up being the prince again on impulse just to protect others. Probably one of my favorite episodes so far. I really hope there is a Takane and Chihaya focused episode also since I also liked them.

Idolm@ster Episode 17

This episode is just adorable in every way possible. It was really cute seeing Makoto want to be the princess instead but still ends up being the prince again on impulse just to protect others. Probably one of my favorite episodes so far. I really hope there is a Takane and Chihaya focused episode also since I also liked them.
This episode recently killed fellow tomboy lover Theonik, may he rest in peace.

Dead

well not really...yet
Idolm@ster Episode 17

Youre gonna love the next several episodes lol

Mokoi

Banned
Idolm@ster Episode 17

Hmm so episode 17 is focused on Makoto I see. I'll just skip to that one then.

Mature

Urusei Yatsura - 45
uk0SePz.png

Oh, hey, they brought back this guy. I love this guy.

This was a super fun episode that sort of felt like the end of a... season? Or something? It was more or less a reunion of every odd character they'd run into the duration of the series. It was also a return of the brilliant classic Cosmic Cycler. So catchy. Lum you can't get so moody the moment you think you're being left out!

Also, this episode had some fleeting dance sakuga.

Urusei Yatsura - 46
I'd put money on Oshii having wrote the screenplay for this episode. It's nearly identical in concept to a couple of the episodes he wrote for Patlabor. There's a lot of humor in turning some frivolous workplace/schoolplace dispute and reflecting the sensibilities of a war and all its complexities onto it.

Oh, and I guess Cosmic Cycler is actually the ED now? I guess I missed the change. Visuals are probably a downgrade, but I enjoy the song.

survivor

Banned
Barakamon 3

Not a bad episode, the comedy held up much better. The first half with Tama actually made me chuckle so that's already a step above most comedy anime. The visuals for most of her reactions were pretty well done.

This episode reminded me of something, how many female characters in anime have we had that are aspiring manga artists and aren't working on BL stories? Aoki from Bakuman is one example I can think of, but I wonder if the manga wasn't focused on only writing stories for Jump would her character have been different or not.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Urusei Yatsura - 46
I'd put money on Oshii having wrote the screenplay for this episode. It's nearly identical in concept to a couple of the episodes he wrote for Patlabor. There's a lot of humor in turning some frivolous workplace/schoolplace dispute and reflecting the sensibilities of a war and all its complexities onto it.
Also some really nice examples of animators simply having fun.

Oh, and I guess Cosmic Cycler is actually the ED now? I guess I missed the change. Visuals are probably a downgrade, but I enjoy the song.
The ep that used Kokorobosoi na as an insert song was the first episode with ED3.

Cosmic Cycler is also rather fitting because the show is now in its stride.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Nisemonogatari - Karen Bee arc

Welp, the last few episodes were pretty good, but I dunno, so far nise just feels like a whole bunch of character studies and philosophical ramblings, which is part of why I love bake, but the problem is that there's no real solid connective story to tie the whole thing up unlike bake. Thought the whole deal with kaiki didn't really matter at all overall.

Jex

I think it's also seasonal? Maybe it's just my perspective shifting seasonally, but there seems to be a large influx around a certain time, then it dials back and, as you said, you see who stays and who goes. Some of us never leave though... forever doomed to bear witness to the perpetual failing and saving of the industry.

'tis fate

Jex

This thread is a war zone now. I'll just sit quiet and watch it unfold mama didn't raise no fool

The wars over, son. What you're hearing is just the lingering shrieks of the defeated.

There's actually far more people saying "is it all over? is it still going on?" then actual commotion taking place.

Link Man

Banned
INVADERS of the ROKUJYOMA!? 3

This show is a lot more fun than I would have guessed at the start of the season. Obstacle course was great, and I'm really enjoying the characters (especially the magical girl).

ED song is pretty great as well.

Elfen Lied 04

I know my impressions were short last episode and I'm still recovering from the dog killing fake out but I promise to make it up with this episode.

Let's start with the opening. It's sung in latin and the lyrics make it sound like it has some deep philosophical meaning. Meanwhile in the background we are treated to several still panning images of the main character while she is stark naked as well as all the other female characters who wear clothes that blend into the background they're standing against giving the illusion that they're not wearing anything. The whole thing comes off as pretentious crap where we're supposed to find some hidden meaning when there is none.

Next is the nudity. There has been some form of nudity in every episode thus far. So far I have have found no purpose for it other than to see pink haired cat eared girls naked. Kill La Kill's fan service didn't bother me because the nudity actually fit within the context of the plot even if it was stupid and silly. The nudity in this is so gratuitous in it's nature that it makes me shake my head every time I see it on screen. The fact that it's present in such a glaringly obvious way in both the OP and ED just emphasises this even further. AnimeGAF, if you're wondering where all the nipples went Elfen Lied stole them all and parades them in your face every few minutes.

The characters in this series are absolutely ridiculous. The first thing Kouta thinks when he sees a random naked girl on the beach is "Hey, lets take her in to live with us!" The scenes where he is with Nyu as she struggles with her female body are just so badly done it makes me gag. The fact that Nyu is constantly naked in front of him and yet he still acts like the shy, innocent, anime character is really overplayed and makes it even more ridiculous that he took her home in the first place.

Yuka is a mystery. She suddenly appears back in Kouta's life after many years of never having seen him. Not only does she encourage him to take Nyu home but she belittles and gets physically violent with him when he does something that may seem the slightest bit sexual with Nyu. She then encourages him to continue to bring female guests into his home and gets jealous when he interacts with them. Do you like this moron or not, make up your mind woman!

Then there is Nyu... This is one of the worst characters I've seen in any narrative. She is a completely clueless and dependent moron one minute yet she becomes a merciless killing machine the next. The whole shtick of repeating your name and not understanding what someone means when they ask for water was not endearing or cute, it was painful to watch. The character shift from one personality to the next has made no sense and only appears to happen when she takes a bump to the head.

c1aDcCL.png

Move over Gendo, this man takes home the best father in Anime award

The whole facility where they keep these mutants and operation surrounding them is giving off huge evangelion vibes. The director guy is such a Gendo wannabe. The badass soldier dude is told he has been infected by some disease after being touched by Nyu's magical hands and they have to cut off his balls. I don't know what fucked up plot device this is for but it seems they're writing this ridiculous stuff just for shock value. They also have several of these pink haired, cat eared girls strung up naked in chains. I don't know what fucked up operation you're running but do they really have to be nude 24/7 for you to perform your experiments?

The violence in this anime is so over the top it has surpasses the stupid gore kill films from the west. How hands, no matter how magical they are, can slice someone up like this is so stupid. The whole concept of the vectors makes me wonder what the writers were smoking.

It's only been four episodes and I've had enough. At least with school days it was a funny kind of badness that I could parody into something. This is just terrible on so many levels that I have to wonder how the fuck this anime has an average score of over 8 on MAL. The funny thing is I'm going to keep watching this until the end.

TLDR: This anime is bloody awful. If you have any intention of watching this look at yourself in the mirror then slap yourself on the face.

I never knew that Blood C show was so gory. I just saw a youtube video of it that brought back a bad memory of the one time I decided to look up what Genocyber was on the same site.

I'm not sure if it's ok to post the link so I'll play it safe. Suffice to say that it's completely turned me off from ever wanting to watch it.
It's not for everyone, but it's a smart and darkly humorous series.
Watching it censored is probably the way to go anyhow. Excessive censoring during the violence adds to the black humor.
I only watched it uncensored but I think getting the full brunt of the gore is important.

Jex

I don't know if this was posted but Tony Zhou posted a video concerning Satoshi Kon - Editing Space & Time yesterday that's a great watch.

It's the same guy that posted the Spielberg long take video that had a thread earlier in the year in the OT.

edit: Apparently there's a thread for this in the OT as well: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=862201
Thanks, this is a very solid break down of Kon's editing style. It's always great when someone who works in a particular field (or with sufficient experience) actually breaks down an element of the film making to explain it fully. While Kon obviously conveys a great deal of the information in his movies through framing and mise-en-scene (thanks to his insane eye for detail) the language of film has always been editing because that's how meaning and understanding is built. Images placed next to each generate a meaning based on the order that you perceive them.

As such, that essay also serves as a pretty solid introduction to the idea of editing generating meaning (sometimes referred to as the Kuleshov Effect) so for anyone remotely interested in gaining a deeper understanding of film making I'd recommend checking out the video.

Elfen Lied 04

It's only been four episodes and I've had enough. At least with school days it was a funny kind of badness that I could parody into something. This is just terrible on so many levels that I have to wonder how the fuck this anime has an average score of over 8 on MAL. The funny thing is, I'm going to keep watching this until the end.

TLDR: This anime is bloody awful. If you have any intention of watching this look at yourself in the mirror then slap yourself on the face.

Oh man. The next episode might break you. And if not, then there's always episode 8 :p

Jex

Looks like Harmony Gold is releasing sets of Robotech and the original Super Dimensional Fortress Macross bundled together in sets. As much as it would pain me to give Harmony Gold money, this is a pretty convenient way to own the series. Though the set quality will probably be horrific for one reason or another so I probably wont have to.

Dear lord why do they make you buy both? To pretend that Robotech is really important?

Quasar

Dear lord why do they make you buy both? To pretend that Robotech is really important?

Well for some, probably a generation, it is.

I'll admit for me its Robotech that holds the special place in my heart. Though thats probably just pure nostalgia.

Which makes me all wonder just how well the new Robotech Kickstarter will do, even with the bad feelings Harmony Gold has generated.

Mature

I live less than 30 minutes from Harmony Gold. Sometimes, I think of going over there and freeing the Macross license myself. I'd be a hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom