• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT| this thread has been outsourced to Toei Phils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuuroden

Apparently nobody on the first google page has counted Shakespeare quotes. Very well, I could watch new anime, but I also could count Shakespeare quotes in Zetsuen no Tempest. Luckily they are easy to pick out from the regular talk. I watched the episodes in 2x and with skipping, so I could easily missed something. If you remember anything that's missing, please tell me.

Episode 01
01:07 (Hamlet)
Yoshino: The time is out of joint.
Aika: O, curse spite
Yoshino: The time is out of joint. O, curse spite. That ever I was born to set it right!

21:38 (Hamlet)
Yoshino: The time is out of ...
Mahiro: The time is out of joint.

22:08 (Hamlet)
Mahiro: The time is out of joint. O, curse spite. That ever I was born to set it right!

Episode 02
21:31 (Hamlet)
Mahiro: O anger, turn to heat, dry up my brains (original: O, heat, dry up my brains)
This is followed by some other sentences that sound shakespearish, but aren't actually in hat form in any of his works

Episode 03
None found

Episode 04
None found

Episode 05
8:39
This is not a quote, but another important point that returns once in a while is Aika explains the structure of dramas, and more specific tragedies and comedies. The show plays a while with the open thought whether it's story will turn out a tragedy or a comedy.
Aika: Everything happens for a reason. The daily tragedies and misfortunes are all meaningful events, leading towards an ideal conclusion. With his in mind, there probably isn't really any meaningless misfortune.

9:31 (Hamlet)
Aika: There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dream of in your philosophy

Episode 06
None, but we have Junichirou holding a skull [link to picture]. Which could be chance, but since the show is so close to Shakespeare I want at least mention it.

That one third of the show for now, I will continue tomorrow, pretty cure is waiting on me. So far no verbal mention of The Tempest, only Hamlet.

Also: can someone who know more about flowers than me identify these flowers?

Well to be fully true to the intent of the show. I think it's supposed to be a clash between what happens in Hamlet and what happens in The Tempest and which result would be most preferred for and by the characters. Certain characters see the future outcomes to end like in Hamlet while others see the futures outcome in reference to what happens in The Tempest and there is a battle so to speak for each future to be the one to come out on top.
The Tempest becomes much more prominent in the 2nd half and would be the better outcome for everyone if it came out on top. The name of the show speaks refers to the future the MC's want.
Probably making that blocked as a spoiler makes it more like a spoiler than if I left it uncovered but I rather play it safe rather than try to word it best.

Shergal

Barakamon 4
It definitely looked rougher this week, which I guess is expected of an outsourced episode. I prefer this kind of episode, where there are two mini-stories with a clear progression -particularly the second half- rather than a simple collection of gags.

I wonder when/if we'll get out of the 'sensei discovering himself' phase and start delving into other characters.

Elfen Lied 05

MHHIuqd.png

...am the batman.

This anime... It handles such controversial topics such as rape and child molestation yet I can't take it serious with such idiotic characters. I felt bad for Mayu but everyone is treating her like shit for no reason. Then the dog's owner comes and just takes it away without so much as a thank you? What a bitch!

Next we have professor guy who apparently started this whole mess. This whole plot seemed so half baked and then he is killed without the slightest hesitation. You really didn't think that through did you guy?

Kouta is revealed as the anime Batman. Surely his vigilante actions such as picking up stray naked girls will save the day!

cajunator

Banned
Picture too lewd for Neo Anime Age. But they have huge rash when naked on breasts, legs and arms.Thank you.

Curious.

You mean all the blushing?

The first one was nice.

They all have a melancholy to them which is my type of thing so I liked all the songs but the last one was weird.

Only just started watching A Tale of Memories so I am sure I will get familiar with that OP.

I think everyone so far has very unique choices for their favorite OP's.

last one is by Ritsuko Okazaki. She was a wonderful soft spoken singer but she died suddenly about a decade ago. She also also sang in this OP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dePJ0niKM3I

Chariot

Only just started watching A Tale of Memories so I am sure I will get familiar with that OP.

I think everyone so far has very unique choices for their favorite OP's.
Oh, I misread actually and thought he wanted some more slightly melancholic opening - although I love all three very much. My favorite of all time...

The second Gurren Lagann Opening

Jormungand

Koimonogatari

But that's not definite. I probably forgot a legion of Openings I like more.
Well to be fully true to the intent of the show. I think it's supposed to be a clash between what happens in Hamlet and what happens in The Tempest and which result would be most preferred for and by the characters. Certain characters see the future outcomes to end like in Hamlet while others see the futures outcome in reference to what happens in The Tempest and there is a battle so to speak for each future to be the one to come out on top. The Tempest becomes much more prominent in the 2nd half and would be the better outcome for everyone if it came out on top.
That are very good thought's. Maybe those references mirror the outcomes the characters imagine at the moment. After all
at the beginning Mahiro is out for revenge, Yoshino doesn't even know what he wants and the clan is in its internal struggle. After the skip everything looks brigther.
Yes, I think we will see what you wrote when I finished with all episodes.
You mean all the blushing?
Yes. All the breast and arm "blushing".

Midonin

Gosick 22-24 + Final Thoughts

The war came and went pretty quickly, and it's clear there was a lot of plot points that needed to be wrapped up in that finale. I understand that the series was working with a tight time frame considering it was trying to adapt the entire novel series, but ultimately, I'm pretty satisfied with what we got. The way that shot of Kazuya and Victorique mirrored the closing shot of the OP was a nice way to tie things off, and it was filled with the kind of sentimentality that still gets to me.
I knew going in that it was a mystery series that was as much about the bonds of the characters, if not more, and Kazuya and Victorique's chemistry, being both the central part of the work and the most developed, largely succeeded. Aoi Yuki did a good job, and shows that she does have a range, compared to the timid Madoka or Hibiki's hotbloodedness. I liked how things became serialized and all the mysteries tied into one another as the show went on, naturally building up to the overplot.

Of the three girl detective series, I'd say the best leading girl has to go to Victorique. She's cute and sweet, smart and yet feisty. Though Dantalian's strength lies in its atmosphere, and it's embracing and working with the supernatural, as opposed to Gosick, whose thesis ended up being the occult being used as deception, something for people to cling to while they're blinded to what's going on behind the scenes. KamiMemo is in a slightly different class, being entirely modern, but like most postmodern otaku, I'm looking at it through the lens of its central character.

The OP and EDs were all really good, and of the three shows, this one certainly had the most time to tell its story. I feel that may give it a slight advantage, but it never was a competition to begin with. My overall view is that it's solid and enjoyable, and worth it for Victorique, but mostly it's slightly above average.

Next in the infinite backlog, a changeover from detectives to police. And a total 180 in tone. It's time for...

*puts on sunglasses*

Miami Guns. YEEEEEEEAH!

Oh, I misread actually and thought he wanted some more slightly melancholic opening - although I love all three very much. My favorite of all time...

But that's not definite. I probably forgot a legion of Openings I like more.

Oh no I was defending before why I liked Glasslips OP. I said it was my favorite this season and someone said that there are better ones. I said that I liked OP's that have a certain melancholy to them. I then listed my favorites as reference which show how my top three are melancholic in nature.

cajunator

Banned

The war came and went pretty quickly, and it's clear there was a lot of plot points that needed to be wrapped up in that finale. I understand that the series was working with a tight time frame considering it was trying to adapt the entire novel series, but ultimately, I'm pretty satisfied with what we got. The way that shot of Kazuya and Victorique mirrored the closing shot of the OP was a nice way to tie things off, and it was filled with the kind of sentimentality that still gets to me.
I knew going in that it was a mystery series that was as much about the bonds of the characters, if not more, and Kazuya and Victorique's chemistry, being both the central part of the work and the most developed, largely succeeded. Aoi Yuki did a good job, and shows that she does have a range, compared to the timid Madoka or Hibiki's hotbloodedness. I liked how things became serialized and all the mysteries tied into one another as the show went on, naturally building up to the overplot.

Of the three girl detective series, I'd say the best leading girl has to go to Victorique. She's cute and sweet, smart and yet feisty. Though Dantalian's strength lies in its atmosphere, and it's embracing and working with the supernatural, as opposed to Gosick, whose thesis ended up being the occult being used as deception, something for people to cling to while they're blinded to what's going on behind the scenes. KamiMemo is in a slightly different class, being entirely modern, but like most postmodern otaku, I'm looking at it through the lens of its central character.

The OP and EDs were all really good, and of the three shows, this one certainly had the most time to tell its story. I feel that may give it a slight advantage, but it never was a competition to begin with. My overall view is that it's solid and enjoyable, and worth it for Victorique, but mostly it's slightly above average.

Next in the infinite backlog, a changeover from detectives to police. And a total 180 in tone. It's time for...

*puts on sunglasses*

Miami Guns. YEEEEEEEAH!

Ohhhhh shit. that show is HILARIOUS.

*puts on sunglasses*

Miami Guns. YEEEEEEEAH!
Great series, I absolutely loved Gosick myself, got a bit slow in some of the early bits but as time went on it got better and probably one of my top 10 along with Danatalian.

iDOLM@STER Xenoglossia 1

Why is Haruka in a mech?
Why is Chihaya being a jerk?
Where is Takane?

This show upsets me. I don't care much for mecha as it is, so it'll probably be dropped before the end of the next episode.

cajunator

Banned
iDOLM@STER Xenoglossia 1

Why is Haruka in a mech?
Why is Chihaya being a jerk?
Where is Takane?

This show upsets me. I don't care much for mecha as it is, so it'll probably be dropped before the end of the next episode.

If you like Idolmaster, by all means do not watch Xenoglossia. It iwll just upset you :(

Excited for Ace of the Diamond 41, they only have 11 more episodes to clinch a spot in Nationals, and this by all accounts is just going to be a one to two episode filler game so, hopefully they go somewhere interesting with it,

Blue Spring Ride 3

Seems this is gonna be my RomCom of the season. The faces they make is funny and it can be endearing sometimes. Little melancholy to the show which is always a plus in my book. And the group has been formed.

Also Shaft head turn! I repeat Shaft head turn!

Aldnoah Zero 4

A new letdown after the third episode that it seemed the series had improved.
The princess happens to confess her secret to just the protagonist, while maintaining the secret to everyone else. What a coincidence it's the protagonist, someone who she just meed a few minutes earlier.
And the new Aldnoah mech and the fight was lol. "omg I'm in an super robot!" yeah he just have an energy sword. A laser katana, sorry. Which he waves senselessly to block incoming fire. Except that's fucking primitive of course, he has to run to each enemy and hit it by hand, and he doesn't have a 360º protection like the one before and he should be vulnerable to big explosive like missiles (which don't care if they blow up just in the proximity instead with direct contact) so it's a pretty shitty robot all things considered.

I love what they're doing on Barakamon, are they usually this good?

Well they have done Code Breaker and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 which are really great. Though they did adapt Black Bullet which wasn't great from last season. All in all it really has to do with the source material. And the source material of Barakamon is really great and the studio is doing justice to the material. Like every studio they have there good days and bad days.

OtoBoku 05

As expected then.

Ghost girl Ichiko gets to be friends with everybody in the dorm, and she can't leave the place either. Oh, except when Mizuho is in contact with her. Eh, ok then.

And now she's leaving the story :\ No, wait... *phew*

jgminto

Sword Art Online 4

"I'm a girl tehe!"
That's not going to get annoying quick. I don't even know why he's pretending, is he that awkward around a new harem member that he has to pretend to be a girl instead of just saying he was a guy? I guess you can't choose your own avatar in GGO? The more this goes on the more I realise that GGO is a pretty shit game. You can't choose your character, everything is based around stats instead of skill and the bullet prediction/aim assist make it look like a really dumb choice for a competitive game.
Ever since I saw Star Wars when I was young, I always thought lightsabers were cool. Now Kirito has me doubting my own childhood. Even George Lucas didn't ruin lightsabers! So I beg of you Kirito, please don't make it as fucking lame as you just did from now on!

Pooya

Aldnoah Zero 4

The princess happens to confess her secret to just the protagonist, while maintaining the secret to everyone else. What a coincidence it's the protagonist, someone who she just meed a few minutes earlier.

he already saw her last ep, he got to know t there. the thing is how Calm or others didn't lol.
And the new Aldnoah mech and the fight was lol. "omg I'm in an super robot!" yeah he just have an energy sword. A laser katana, sorry. Which he waves senselessly to block incoming fire. Except that's fucking primitive of course, he has to run to each enemy and hit it by hand, and he doesn't have a 360º protection like the one before and he should be vulnerable to big explosive like missiles (which don't care if they blow up just in the proximity instead with direct contact) so it's a pretty shitty robot all things considered.

well it makes sense for inserting for close encounters but else where yeeah...

Chariot

I never realized how many anime I actively disliked. Gosick hat terrible constructed "mysteries" and I had problems to not puke at the character interactions. Protagonist had no backbone at all and could only complain while Vic just randomly wanked shit out, while having a terrible Index-personality. Ungrateful tsundere brat.
Fyi, I didn't watch all, I watched the anime until the golden village or what it was called and read the Light Novels until volume 4 or 5, because I got them cheap on ebay.
I actually bought two volumes of the Dandalian manga because I liked the artstyle and it was alright (not alright enough to buy more, tho), but the Gainax anime was just bad, couldn't stand it for more than three episodes.

Happiness Charge Precure 18

My bodyfat raised itself just by watching.
The show is pretty procedural right now, but to enjoy it. The lack of much happening makes it easier to do stuff while watching.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Sword Art Online 4

"I'm a girl tehe!"
That's not going to get annoying quick. I don't even know why he's pretending, is he that awkward around a new harem member that he has to pretend to be a girl instead of just saying he was a guy?
I think it's pretty bluntly stated why he's putting on the act. He's more likely to get help if people think he's a girl.

he already saw her last ep, he got to know t there. the thing is how Calm or others didn't lol.

Before seeing the ep, that was my doubt, did they see her transform? I was doubting between two possibilities, a) only Ratchet (the other girl at her side) saw her and the other didn't in the middle of the chaos of combat, or b) they all saw it.
I suppose they went with c) only. the protag saw her because he was closer than the rest

well it makes sense for inserting for close encounters but else where yeeah...

My fault really for using real life logic with giant mechs :p. In reality firearms are used because they are good at long, medium AND close range, hell they are actually better at close range, while a sword it's only usable at very close range. Well, rule of cool... plasma katanas!
I'm the type that considers stupid things uncool, though.
Before anyone mention Star Wars lightsabers, Jedis aren't supposed to be pure warriors, it's kind of understood their lightsabers is more an old tradition and less an efficient war weapon, and at least it's an usable weapon in sW because their precognitive force powers. I don't have these excuses in anime!

In more general terms, the super competence of the MC which is in heavy contrast with the incompetence of the martians make not take the series very seriously.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
SAO:

I'll say this much. If I was in GGO, I'd run a Sword/Pistol combo with a motorbike mount.

I wonder, who determines how much material gets adapted? Does this come down from the production committee?
The process generally goes "Producers tell director/series composer how many episodes they have" followed by "director/series composer craft story to fit that many episodes." There may be some productions where its determined by the main producer (in that case NTV) but often it's from the director/series composer. This is why Mahouka's adaptation is so slowly paced; the amount of episodes paced decently would finish in the middle of an arc.

Rarely you'll have moments where the director and co screw up badly and need an extra episode to finish everything. Takemoto really failed at fitting the plot of The Second Raid in 12 episodes and got a 13th by a miracle. Other times issues like what happened with Gatchaman Crowds occurs due to production running behind schedule (And Nakamura being given literally 10 months from "hey make this show" until airdate).

Jex

Aldnoah Zero-4

That climax battle was so good. Mech battles with large amounts of tactics like this are awesome. There's a lot of thought put into the Aldnoah's powers and limitations.

People are going to hate the music but I think this works mainly for that bombastic feel.

Pretty surprised that they have a 2nd ED as well(which is the great Sawano insert). Are we going to get a different ED for each arc?

You're right, I can't abide by your love for the Sawano score. It's like a knife in my ear scraping at my brain.

Also, I see a lot of impressions for this episode so I should remind people we have an OT for this show http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=122797849

Jex

Aldnoah.Zero Episode 4:

Yes indeed, this is getting better by the episode and I dare say it is better then Terror in Resonance at this point. The Martian assault is relentless and devastating, and we get insight into why those who wish to see the conflict resume would enact upon it there is very large question lingering over this whole affair. Why did they stop the first go around? Anyway, I am getting concerned about a few things though
the already looming love triangle and these kids seems to be a little too competent for their own good.

Aldnoah Zero 4

I'm reminded of Chrono Trigger.

Still remains enjoyable, but this was more of a transition episode than anything.

Woah, new ED already?

Aldnoah Zero ep 4
Inaho is getting too Batman for his analytical thinking and planning but damn it's what make this show good.

This show characters kinda reminds me of Gundam SeeD.

Inaho - Good at everything = Kira.
Asseylum - Pacifist and idealistic = Lacus.
Rayet - Parent got killed and wants vengence = Flay.
Slain - Unsure about the orbital knights motives but still fights for them = Shinn lol.
Yuki = Murrue.
Marrito - Seasoned veteran = Mu La Flaga (?).

Aldnoah Zero-4

That climax battle was so good. Mech battles with large amounts of tactics like this are awesome. There's a lot of thought put into the Aldnoah's powers and limitations.

People are going to hate the music but I think this works mainly for that bombastic feel.

Pretty surprised that they have a 2nd ED as well(which is the great Sawano insert). Are we going to get a different ED for each arc?

Aldnoah Zero 4

They're doing a fine job don't get me wrong, but I've seen too many shows where the good guys are overpowered by the enemy until protagonist and friends are the only ones who can do anything and of course they happen to be in high school because adults are useless. I've been soured by this and the fact mech shows need to insist on having kids/teens as leads is going to bother me because it's meant to be a military show.

As to the episode itself we get more of overwhelmed against the baddies, and I'm going to sound a bit like DTL here but I really don't care about the earth crew leads. I want to see more of Slaine's side of the story but they've now made it extremely obvious he's to play second fiddle, the Suzaku to dandere guy's Ledouche. The 2-3 scenes he had were all basic set-ups for future episodes as well with
him realizing there's a conspiracy, then deciding to play along with the mars folks for now and ask to be given his own knight
How long
will he pretend to be on the side of the Mars people before switching sides?
who knows!.

I'm enjoying Terror in Tokyo more this season, but because terrorist and cop shows aren't here too often in anime I guess.

Aldnoah Zero 04

This show continues to improve. I guess Inaho is the main character, I just wonder how long it will take for Slaine to switch sides.

The slowdown in Half Life 2 was Water Hazard and Sandtraps.

Aldnoah.Zero ep 4

While I agree Inaho seems like a genius (well he is, plus he's a protagonist so yeah) compared to regular Earth military, let's remember that what we've seen so far from Earth's forces was: 1)
botched "beach" defense in which they were overwhelmed at least partly because of the Martian element of surprise
and 2) Captain Whatshername and her crew who are actually fairly competent. I fully expect Earth defense to rise up and kick some ass soon.

Aldnoah Zero - 04

I think I wouldn't have hope anymore this show would be as good as Fate Zero or legit AOTY candidate, the show just not showing sign for that. Its solid tho, and I like the tactical aspect.. and man I hate the OST so much, most of the time its just distracting. Surprisingly I like the ED song though.

Aldnoah Zero 04

Meh. Am still not impressed by this whatsoever. The characters grow on me slowly and I enjoy the calmer moments.

The battles however... they may be decently thought out and choreographed but it still feels to me like our protagonists survive out of luck mostly and... the CGI is shit. It just looks bad and that'll probably never change so fuck that.

Aldnoah Zero - 04

I feel like shows like these need to go "balls to the wall" crazy, or be written in a much less cartoonish manner. Otherwise, it just kinda there, which is what I feel like this show is.

Aldnoah.Zero 04

I really liked the strategy displayed last episode as they had time to plan it out but here it just looks like Inaho lucked out. Sure he had some smart on the fly thinking but his quick calculations seemed too much especially when mentioning the Leidenfrost effect. I was fine with the soundtrack for the first few episodes but now it's becoming overbearing. I hope to see more of Slaine soon, he seems to have a level head and knows when to restrain himself.

Aldnoah Zero 4

Folks, we really do have an OT for this show that could do with some content! Feel free to repost there!

Terror in Resonance 2

I like this. I like this a lot. I love cat and mouse type shows. But who's the cat and who's the mouse?

This episode in particular gave me some Death Note vibes. The good one. Remember when you first watched that show and every week you were like "what are they going to do next? who is going to have the upper hand next episode?"? That's the feeling I am getting with this show. And it's awesome!

Shigofumi Episode 2

That was pretty much a bitter sweet episode. To think Ayase's father was doing that kind of shit, worthless scumbag. Man that letter from Shouta really hit deep, like he didn't feel any animosity towards Ayase. That letter really killed Ayase in the inside and especially when see saw that rocket with her name and her sister's name.
Ayase dying while the rocket lifted off was sad, but it really was an eye for an eye. And her little sister is all alone.

That truly was a sad episode.

/XX/

I love what they're doing on Barakamon, are they usually this good?
Well they have done Code Breaker and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 which are really great. Though they did adapt Black Bullet which wasn't great from last season. All in all it really has to do with the source material. And the source material of Barakamon is really great and the studio is doing justice to the material. Like every studio they have there good days and bad days.
Don't forget YUYUSHIKI, its previous team has a lot in common with this new production!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom