• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tsurugi Yagami!

Ohhh!!

Didn't recognise the character at all and i liked the anime.

I guess it's because that fig is missing the SHAFT EFFECT.
Won't lie , out of the 3 sisters i like the other 2 more.

Edit : seriously , without her lab coat it's hard to recognise her !

the Funtendo Sqwii

You're aware that her hobby is to play
adult games , right ?

Mature

Urusei Yatsura - 50
Oh man. Flawless. Ryoko seems like an excellent addition to the cast. Glad we got to see more of the Mendo family and their ridiculous estate. Ataru using Ten as a holstered weapon was the highlight of this episode for me. More Ataru + Ten shenanigans please.

cajunator

Banned
Ohhh!!

Didn't recognise the character at all and i liked the anime.

I guess it's because that fig is missing the SHAFT EFFECT.
Won't lie , out of the 3 sisters i like the other 2 more.

Edit : seriously , without her lab coat it's hard to recognise her !

You're aware that her hobby is to play
adult games , right ?

oh yes Im well aware of that lol. shes like 30 years old in the anime.

Link Man

Banned
I got mail today:

bCI7Ei6.jpg

Looks like one of those boxes got some water damage.

I'll let myself out now.

PK Gaming

The Devil is a Part-Timer! (1-2)

yg5QOEO.gif

This anime is great. There seems to be a strong focus on character interactions and situational humor rather than a coherent plot, which i'm totally all about. I can't wait to see more.

Elfen Lied 11

Set up episode. We're introduced to another pink mutant that is more brutal than Lucy. Instead of killing Nana at the end she decides to rip off all her clothes cause, hey, we need to fill the nudity quota.

Kouta continues to be a tool and Yuka continues her jealous rampage over said tool. Why does everyone like this moron?

Nana does the noble thing and goes to sacrifice herself to protect others. Of all the characters, Mayu and Nana are the least offensive.

Link Man

Banned
You should watch Hanamaru Kindergarten then, where the 5 year old girl wants to marry protag-kun, only it's not a flashback and protag-kun is 22.

And then
the 5-year-old becomes his live-in wife, and he starts to have stirrings for her

Sorry, still a bit sour on how that show ended.

The Devil is a Part-Timer! (1-2)

yg5QOEO.gif

This anime is great. There seems to be a strong focus on character interactions and situational humor rather than a coherent plot, which i'm totally all about. I can't wait to see more.

It was THE anime of its respective season. Great show. Hope there's a season 2.

Quasar

And then
the 5-year-old becomes his live-in wife, and he starts to have stirrings for her

Sorry, still a bit sour on how that show ended.

What? My memory is it ending with her trying to help the MC get his love, despite her being the female Itchka Okimura.

mankoto

Kingdom 14
The war is technically over but a "new threat" (quotes because it was clear from the get-go that'd be an enemy) as arrived

Oh, and Diao
is actually a girl. Funnily enough, I've been calling him a her in my head the entire time. I didn't even notice they were saying "him"

PK Gaming

It was THE anime of its respective season. Great show. Hope there's a season 2.

I missed out.

I missed out on a ton of fun anime :(

I mean sure, I can still watch them, but it's just not the same as watching them with a bunch of people. That said, i'm glad I get to experience Sabagebu!, Nozaki-kun, Locodol, etc with you guys. I'm having a ton of fun!

CorvoSol

Eureka Seven 24

This is the moment where I at last admitted that I had been entirely incorrect about this anime, which makes this episode pretty special to me. It'll be just a bit more before this arc comes to its conclusion, but I feel like the show does an amazing job of building up to this point.

The previous arc is probably one that wasn't a lot of fun to watch one week at a time. It's a very slow arc in which a large amount of time is spent in a dreary mine doing little of immediate importance or weight. And when the cast does leave the mine, its for things that are fairly inconsequential, like fixing up the life of Kengo's friend. What that arc does brilliantly, though, is set the mood for this arc, and plant plot seeds as it goes.

The entire mine arc is slow moving, which helps to increase the tension felt in its oppressive atmosphere. This atmosphere is created through the use of muted colors (and remember that Eureka Seven is generally a very colorful show) and this sort of drawn out note on a string instrument. In that haze Renton catches glimpses of Gidget and Doggie kissing, igniting within him a desire for advancement of his relationship with Eureka. We see Renton do selfish things like eating a houseworth of pizza at a time when the entire Gekko crew is starving, and getting cocky about his ability to pilot the Nirvash. We also see Renton's naive trust in the goodness of others crumble along with these things as Holland's pettiness and Mr. Brittany's cowardice are put in full display moments before Eureka, herself frightened by her emotions, rejects Renton's advances, leading him to bail.

This arc has had Talho call Holland out on all his bullshit, shown Renton get a little wiser about the world, had Eureka realize her feelings for Renton, and most importantly given Renton a glimpse of what a real family feels like and what true love means. All of this is important for what's to come, but at the time it sort of leaves this painful jumble of emotions (I believe that's intentional, since Renton's own emotions are thus) where Renton cannot hold onto Ray and Charles even though he loves them, finds his efforts to do good stymied, and where he has no idea how to make Eureka understand how he feels for her. It's an excellent illustration of what a troubled, awkward teenager like Renton should be feeling, given how life has been going.

What's interesting to me this second time, though, is how Kawamori's trademarks are executed in Eureka Seven. In many ways the show skews closely to SDFM, with its focus on alien races learning to love one another and coexist, with this personified through the relationship between a man and a woman, and with all of this set to the backdrop of a heart-wrenching, life-or-death war and the destruction it leaves in its wake. In a way, a lot of this can be seen in Arjuna just as well as it can in Macross and Eureka, but what I think sets E7 and SDFM apart from Arjuna is simply the execution. In E7 nothing is forced, and there doesn't seem to be any active attempts to make judgments. That's not to say that the show doesn't have a message or an opinion. Indeed, a 2005 anime with a government ferociously hunting down innocents of a specific religion and accusing them all of terrorism cannot be said to not be making comments on the era in which it was made, but the difference between E7 and Arjuna is that Eureka understands the principal of "show, don't tell." Nobody delivers long speeches about how what the Federation is doing is wrong, you see how what the Federation is doing wrong and you empathize. And while people can be petty and violent in E7, the show also attempts to show that even the people who support this persecution have cause, have emotions, and have reasons for it.

Another significant point is that E7 has its own internal rhythm, which Arjuna lacks. Whether it be "Believe in the me that believes in you" or "the soul of the fist," or "three hearts become one," a show needs some guiding principles that are simultaneously unique and understandable. They don't have to be revolutionary concepts, but oftentimes they're simply restatements of already accepted ones. For instance, Eureka Seven's "Don't beg for things, do it yourself or else you won't get anything" is simply a restatement of the commonly accepted viewpoint that hard work and honest effort are better than being given anything. They're something Kawamori believes in, and that I think he wanted to communicate with that stuff about The Mountain in Arjuna, but the difference is that things are very much so centered upon this in Eureka Seven, whereas there are too many disparate ideas in Arjuna, unified only upon the destructive, rather than instructive, "Human Civilization is a Pile of Garbage." Renton's sister goes to find their dad because of these words. Renton goes with the Gekko for them as well, and his growing pains are built upon his failure and success to understand them. The show culminates in Renton doing something major for himself to get what he wants most. Over the series Renton monologues less and less to his sister and thinks more and more about what he himself needs to do.

But I'm kinda rambling now.

Elfen Lied 12

Wait... WHAT!?!?
Yuka and Kouta our cousins!?!?

Kouta... How the fuck do you forget
the girl that is staying with you killed for sister and father
? Holy shit. I've heard of selective amnesia but this is fucking ridiculous. She has pink hair and horns! They're such distinctive features you should probably never forget someone like that! His father was also oblivious to everything on the train right up until his
head got separated from his body

This episode somehow manages to reuse at least 4 minutes of stuff already seen. I guess the excuse is Kouta is now regaining lost memories so we can reuse the same shots to show that he has in fact remembered his deadly childhood friend.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
HaNaYaMaTa 4

This is such a heartwarming and beautiful show. Naru shows some execellent character growth, and Tami's backstory is quite compelling. Humor wasn't lol-worthy, but it was pleasant and wasn't grating (which reminds me, I still need to watch Ao Haru Ride...)
I hate to admit this, but this is a show where all the genki heartwarming storytelling is enough to get me to forgive the yuri harem that's developing. It's probably a show that me and SDBurton can equally enjoy for different reasons.

(Better than Sakura Trick at least. :p)

Thoraxes

Easily, the final few sequences of the 2nd movie are unreal.

I go back and pop in my bluray just to watch that last-half hour almost weekly.

It's like snorting drugs. And knowing nothing will ever look that good ever again just depresses me.

I must have missed it because I was so dumbfounded by Nyu's behaviour. You can imagine my shock to this revelation 12 episodes in. At least there is only one more...

Well... I'm not sure what's worse, a shock of finding out at this point or knowing all the time while certain things are going on.

Chariot

Kingdom 8
Xin's brash nature came through when they needed it most. Talk about luck
Nah, that's just Xin. He is always that way, he embraces his nature as shounen protagonist (I know hte show is seinen, but Xin has almost everything what makes a shounen protagonist, minus a fated family)

No Game No Life 2

The level of eechi is a lot lower than I expected.
GAF is just a drama queen when it comes to NGNL.

Kingdom 10
The CG was especially bad in this one. But that's understandable since there's so much going on, on screen. My only question is, how did Xin climb that huge wall with only 2 jumps? What's in those legs of his?
Yeah, that a bit weird. The wall is more than twice as high as it was in the manga. In the manga it was still very amazing how fucking high Xin can jump, but it didn't tingle as much on the suspense of disbelieve.

Golden Time 7

Kill me now. This show is so legit bad that this makes SAO look like a fucking masterpiece.
Yes, yeeeeees! Hate that Golden Time, oh yeah, baby.

Kingdom 13
So why was everyone just standing there watching the commander being amazing and not sneaking over to where Jiao is and kill him?
I would suspect, it's because he don't even attempt to run away and they can cut him short if he will. Until then they look out to stay put, in the case something happens.

Also: god, you're fast. You've made it almost through that dreadful first arc in a day and I'm still just finished episode 1 of GTO. Time to step up my game.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Why do you have to change every month?

I can't even remember when you gave me this avatar but I've stuck with it since. Maybe I should change mine too.
I just find art that I think could make a new avatar but so I'm not changing my avatar all the time I tend to leave it to the beginning of the next month (though this is a very liquid rule).

While I'd like to take credit for your avatar, it wasn't me who made it. All I can take credit for it starting the theme.

Ban tumblr gifs.
I've been calling for this for ages,.

I envy you. I'm so lazy that it often takes me several years to muster up the effort to change my avatar. I think I've had like 4 or 5 avatars in my entire GAF history.

And goddamn this thread was active for a Monday with nothing of note airing.
Well I often make avatars and then don't use them. I have an avatar backlog so to speak so it's pretty easy for me to just use another one, or just back to an older one.

One day people will learn how to subscribe without making a post. One day.
Isn't this how people usually subscribe until they find the auto subscribe option?

mankoto

Kingdom 15
And ends the first half/arc of the series.
The rebelled has been stopped
The mountain people have gone home
Xin gets a house.
And Lu Bu
DO NOT PURSUE
has decided to come back.

Might finish it tomorrow. Might not. But definitely in the next two days at least.

Nah, that's just Xin. He is always that way, he embraces his nature as shounen protagonist (I know hte show is seinen, but Xin has almost everything what makes a shounen protagonist, minus a fated family)
I just like how he acknowledges he isn't smart just wants to cut to the chase.

I would suspect, it's because he don't even attempt to run away and they can cut him short if he will. Until then they look out to stay put, in the case something happens.
I guess. It just felt awkward with them standing there.

Also: god, you're fast. You've made it almost through that dreadful first arc in a day and I'm still just finished episode 1 of GTO. Time to step up my game.
Well I liked what I saw and continued watching. Sure the CG isn't all that good, but that's just something I got over after a while.

Quasar

They lost the momentum before the end of the first season. It wasn't sustainable and Valvrave never amounted to more than a few entertaining episodes.

Well I didn't feel so. I liked both season for the most part. I was mostly disappointed that we didn't get a third season and instead got a pretty poor epilogue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom