• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necrovex

Yeah I'm in the moon arc (maybe I'm further then). It's the most exciting the show has been for sure. I really enjoyed the characters, easily the best aspect of the show. Just have to eventually get back to it but I have so many western shows my friends want me to catch up with the latest season (tmnt, house of cards, archer, sons of anarchy, justified, the bridge) and finish the wire that it'll be a while.

Western shows can easily eat up a person's time. I remember spending most of my free time plowing through The Shield. My anime watching suffered greatly due to it.

what's actually laziness is still not watching Utena after all this time

Not watching Utena is a sin rather than laziness.

Kokoro Connect 06

Kinda disappointed about Iori and Taichi not discussing their confession for a whole 3 weeks because of your common but questionable "we didn't have any time to talk" cop-out but then the episode went full steam ahead anyways, so not an issue in the end.

Acting out your desires... Jez... that's some real psychological terror from our creepy spectator being. This show makes it really easy to empathize with the characters and their situation. It's easy to find myself thinking about what I were to do in their situation... (which I guess is partially a defnition of empathizing but yeh, wanted to point it out anyways ;P)

I'm not paying too much attention to the soundtrack but it does appear to be quite good.

cajunator

Banned
Is Elfen Lied trying to become the new School Days?

aside from the fact it came well before School Days I dont think it was trying to be anything other than controversial and better than Gantz. It succeeded at both.

First and rather large batch of new posters are up:
https://yande.re/post/show/293257 Akame ga Kill (NSFW for shameful female bodies in lewd bikinis).
https://yande.re/post/show/293240/bikini-feet-gekkan_shoujo_nozaki-kun-ojiri_shinya- Nozaki-kun (NSFW for underboob & bikini)
Anyways, just click on drop's nickname to see the rest. It's Megami and Nyantype so it's just pinups with varying levels of lewdness.

Nice stuff but Leone needs her cat ears!

Still going through it. Too busy at the moment. lol

(And I've said it many times before, I blame Penguindrum for making me give up on Utena :p)

Wait...why did you give up on Utena because of a much newer show? what?

Quasar

I wonder if they'll come for manga fan translation websites in the us. Heck fan subs for that matter.

I dunno. The text of the announcement talked about chasing 500 odd known sites and given the US focused website they setup I'd assume they would. Though at least from that it sounds like they just want to shut down things that have already been license rather than everything, which seems like a more sensible approach. Which I guess means sites like the main LN translation site is safe given they drop anything that gets a official translation.

Will be interesting to see what happens with the big manga aggregators though like mangafox.

In the end though aside from getting cooperation from other governments, Japan can't do a lot beyond letters to hosting services/isps.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I haven't since the manga ended, although maybe I'll pick it up sometime. Then again, I said that about Gintama and I haven't felt the need to read the manga of that either... that's laziness for ya.
Isn't it common opinion that Gintama works much better as an anime than a manga?

aside from the fact it came well before School Days I dont think it was trying to be anything other than controversial and better than Gantz. It succeeded at both.

I clarified I'm talking from the GAF list point of view, not the show's own point of view. I don't really care what the show thinks.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
What they really need to do is digitize manga publishing and make it easy to pay for and acquire on mobile devices. Magazine sales are already down with people using their smartphones on trains, and without magazine sales it's difficult to sell the tankoubon for profit.

Quasar

What they really need to do is digitize manga publishing and make it easy to pay for and acquire on mobile devices. Magazine sales are already down with people using their smartphones on trains, and without magazine sales it's difficult to sell the tankoubon for profit.

Are any of them translated aside from I guess Shonen Jump? Thats a hole right there. Of course you'd need an army to translate the magazines.

That's kind of the flaw in peoples desires for CR to be for manga what it is for anime. You can only handle so many works at a time especially when they run so much longer than a anime does.

Well, Kadokawa kind of killed the English version of ComicWalker - no updates for months.

I guess they realized that they forgot to port the online shop aspect of the service.

Having working DRM methods for videos is just nigh impossible. Unlike a game where you can have server-side calculations that make it pretty much uncrackable (see Diablo 3 doing so successfully), there's just no way to prevent people from just recording the darn video they're watching.

No matter what you do, in the end you display some video stream and that can be recorded.

So what's left to do really is either improving customer experience for legal services and/or decrease the customer experience for pirated content.

You can never 'win' the battle completely, still I'm not going to argue that trying to remove the illegal content online isn't a justified method to go about it.

It's however also crystal clear that they really, really need to improve the customer experience for the legal avenues. In Germany the anime streaming options are still complete shit to this day afaik. Even s.th. like Crunchyroll doesn't sound appealing compared to what piracy offers you, which is just downloading everything to your hard drive and not dealing with connection fluctuations and the like.

Since they cannot prevent recording video footage anyways, I really wish the streaming websites would just allow you to download the files as well, in higher quality even. Not doing so won't prevent shit and just gives you a worse user experience.

But both the western distributors as well as the entire Japanese anime industry needs to actually get together and agree to all that and create stuff accordingly.

However, that'll probably never happen looking at how poorly they seem to do business with one another and how poorly the Japanese seem to understand their western potential userbase. I mean I can't blame them if they cannot ever really strike any great deals either I guess...

duckroll

I don't really think manga is in any danger in Japan at all. It's a totally different thing from anime. Manga is easily the best selling printed medium in Japan, more so than novels. Popularity of individual volumes aren't really tied to magazines either.

Just compare the sales for the first half of 2014:
http://www.oricon.co.jp/entertainment/ranking/2014/bookrank0602/index05.html

http://www.oricon.co.jp/entertainment/ranking/2014/bookrank0602/index01.html
http://www.oricon.co.jp/entertainment/ranking/2014/bookrank0602/index07.html

That seems more of a plan that can be implemented alongside this over an alternative. Then again it seems to be the easier option to blame piracy and do nothing else. Like HBO with piracy. Instead of trying to come up with, for example, a streaming service that doesn't require one to have cable they just blame pirates and seem to call it a day.

Quasar

i can already see a bunch of websites being affected.

I guess for a while i'll go back to IRC and see how internet negate the damage( by opening even more websites ).

Well I'd hope they be asking sites to just take down the things that are licensed, which I'm fine with. In that respect I like the approach baka-tsuki takes. That's much better (at least for folks who like the content but have no legal avenues to give the creators money) than the nuclear approach of trying to shut down every site that has any anime/manga/LN content whether its licensed in the west or not.

Well I'd hope they be asking sites to just take down the things that are licensed, which I'm fine with. In that respect I like the approach baka-tsuki takes. That's much better (at least for folks who like the content but have no legal avenues to give the creators money) than the nuclear approach of trying to shut down every site that has any anime/manga/LN content whether its licensed in the west or not.
Indeed , as long as not licensed content is possible to be seen , i won't mind.

Otherwise it would just push more people to go "dark"

it's certainly not ready that's for sure

duckroll

It's pretty useless for what it aims for. I searched for a bunch of my favorite stuff and got zero results for all of them. Not even pages linking to places where you can buy the English releases. Awful.

Searched for: RahXephon, Eureka Seven, Whisper of the Heart, Jin Roh, Wings of Honneamise, Sword of the Stranger. Don't think any of them are really obscure, and they all have had legit English releases on DVD or blu-ray.

If the aim is to direct people away from piracy site databases and leading them to where they can legally acquire content instead, it's doing a piss poor job.

I wouldn't say that. Its an education site to show you where legal options are. Its an interesting question though where that is better than a page for every anime/manga ever made with 'not licensed yet' on 90% of the pages than 'no results'.

Well i tried "negima" and a bunch of stuff that i know is licensed , yet no result.

At least it found dragon ball , but well the page is ...

Dynedom

Don't worry, none of us are quite sure what happened. Looking forward to that post, reading Utena interpretations is always a lot of fun.

The only recourse is to continue on, and then maybe rewatch the whole show to see things with perspective.

A second watch (when done with the series) is pretty much a must with Utena. The amount of stuff you discover that second time is just amazing.

Yeah I'm thinking I might just do that before posting impressions.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
A follow-up detailing Japans whole anti-piracy plan.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-new...rdians-project

So that sounds like they aren't attempting the nuclear option at least.
The video in that link is amazing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhn3YKqMH3M
They threw in a Precure. lol

Isn't it common opinion that Gintama works much better as an anime than a manga?
I have no idea. But since it's been off for a year, reading the manga is the only way to get your fix.

Wait...why did you give up on Utena because of a much newer show? what?
Probably due to it being the same director and writer (?) and not liking it. That's my guess anyway.
Pretty much!

Quasar

Searched for: RahXephon, Eureka Seven, Whisper of the Heart, Jin Roh, Wings of Honneamise, Sword of the Stranger. Don't think any of them are really obscure, and they all have had legit English releases on DVD or blu-ray.

If the aim is to direct people away from piracy site databases and leading them to where they can legally acquire content instead, it's doing a piss poor job.

It does seem pretty incomplete. I mean even a search for Sword Art Online and Nisekoi turned up naught but the Nisekoi manga.

I guess at the moment at least it only has the 500 odd things that the PR mentions they are tracking/attempting to block.

Dynedom

I remember enjoying Love Hina back in the day, only because it actually reached a conclusion.

Figures that the bar is set that low for haremshit.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's pretty useless for what it aims for. I searched for a bunch of my favorite stuff and got zero results for all of them. Not even pages linking to places where you can buy the English releases. Awful.

This is the relevant quote: "METI will start to monitor and remove illegally uploaded copies of around 580 works over five months".

I think the aim is to only target the anime/manga listed there. Most of it is all simulcast/simulpub stuff from the same distributors/publishers as well, so that's probably an indicator of why the scope is so limited.

Only Bandai, Toei and Bushiroad (aka Milky Holmes) anime on the list.
Edit: The list of manga publishers supported: Kodansha, Shueisha, Square Enix, Shogakukan

Puchimas S2 22-24

Bn76JKD.jpg

Aha, so they do have money problems (again), but instead of fixing it they all go to a remote island.

Cute things... like... doing a light music club on school?

Or doing armored warfare?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh duh, there's the list of companies that are a part of the Manga Anime Guardians initiative:

Aniplex, Kadokawa, Good Smile Company, Kodansha, Sunrise, Shueisha, Shogakukan, ShoPro, Studio Ghibli, Tezuka Productions, Toei Animation, TMS Entertainment, Bandai Namco Games, Pierrot, Bushiroad

Black Jack 1

I'm not sure why they couldn't just get a strong magnet, though.

Holy shit is that metal.

Well, does a hospital usually have strong magnets on them for these kinds of situations? And with a situation as rare as that, can you afford to waste time?

Also, lol. Yes, Pinoko's back-story is indeed crazy. Quite frankly the only thing I really didn't like about the show.

Black Jack 2

I really hope they address the doctor's American attitude towards medical care at some point. They almost did in this episode, but it was left hanging.

You'll start to get a feel for his attitude towards medical care as the series goes on and you see the different situations he gets himself in. It'll become more apparent.

All right. Time to get on the Doremi bandwagon.

duckroll

This is the relevant quote: "METI will start to monitor and remove illegally uploaded copies of around 580 works over five months".

I think the aim is to only target the anime/manga listed there. Most of it is all simulcast/simulpub stuff from the same distributors/publishers as well, so that's probably an indicator of why the scope is so limited.

Only Bandai, Toei and Bushiroad (aka Milky Holmes) anime on the list.
Edit: The list of manga publishers supported: Kodansha, Shueisha, Square Enix, Shogakukan

Obviously we know -why- the range is so limited, but my point was that it compromises the messaging of the mission by not understanding why it is that piracy is winning - availability. When people search for something based on a recommendation or whatever, all too often they stumble upon "watch online for free" portals very easily. If they want to educate people on legal alternatives, they have to try to match that level of availability on a results level as closely as possible.

Quasar

Obviously we know -why- the range is so limited, but my point was that it compromises the messaging of the mission by not understanding why it is that piracy is winning - availability. When people search for something based on a recommendation or whatever, all too often they stumble upon "watch online for free" portals very easily. If they want to educate people on legal alternatives, they have to try to match that level of availability on a results level as closely as possible.

True. Hopefully they expand the database. I wonder why they failed to get all the industry on board. It seems like a no brainer to me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If the point is to try to DMCA sites and whatnot, it's probably easier to just search for specific titles, since I assume you have to file a claim for a specific piece of content and not just "anime" in general.
It feels like trying to put a public face on lawyers doing their job, so that when Popular Pirate Site X goes down, for whatever reason, people don't just irrationally hate "Japan" or whatever.

There's also a reason why the manga list is like 10 times larger than the anime list - I assume they want to go after manga sites first.

cajunator

Banned
Having working DRM methods for videos is just nigh impossible. Unlike a game where you can have server-side calculations that make it pretty much uncrackable (see Diablo 3 doing so successfully), there's just no way to prevent people from just recording the darn video they're watching.

No matter what you do, in the end you display some video stream and that can be recorded.

So what's left to do really is either improving customer experience for legal services and/or decrease the customer experience for pirated content.

You can never 'win' the battle completely, still I'm not going to argue that trying to remove the illegal content online isn't a justified method to go about it.

It's however also crystal clear that they really, really need to improve the customer experience for the legal avenues. In Germany the anime streaming options are still complete shit to this day afaik. Even s.th. like Crunchyroll doesn't sound appealing compared to what piracy offers you, which is just downloading everything to your hard drive and not dealing with connection fluctuations and the like.

Since they cannot prevent recording video footage anyways, I really wish the streaming websites would just allow you to download the files as well, in higher quality even. Not doing so won't prevent shit and just gives you a worse user experience.

But both the western distributors as well as the entire Japanese anime industry needs to actually get together and agree to all that and create stuff accordingly.

However, that'll probably never happen looking at how poorly they seem to do business with one another and how poorly the Japanese seem to understand their western potential userbase. I mean I can't blame them if they cannot ever really strike any great deals either I guess...

Its kind of sad when even paying customers get shitty video quality and frequent site freezes. I dont know why CR cannot seem to get it right.

Wouldn't that be kawaii?

Its moe because I said its moe ^^

freeghiblistreams.com

Physical media is still a thing. They could point me towards my local anime superstore.

That place went oob. However, this place is still open and Ive been there:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/A...ata=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xb4c5f2421fbb363d

duckroll

If the point is to try to DMCA sites and whatnot, it's probably easier to just search for specific titles, since I assume you have to file a claim for a specific piece of content and not just "anime" in general.
It feels like trying to put a public face on lawyers doing their job, so that when Popular Pirate Site X goes down, for whatever reason, people don't just irrationally hate "Japan" or whatever.

There's also a reason why the manga list is like 10 times larger than the anime list - I assume they want to go after manga sites first.

Sure, the actual function of the site is probably to just be a lazy reference portal for stuff they plan on aggressively targeting for take down notices. But that's an ineffective function. Their PR claim that the site is meant to be "educational" and "informative" for fans to find legal avenues to get their favorite anime is a more noble cause, and one which the site is doing a terrible job of actually following through on. That's my point!

The 'Passion' key visual for the iM@S Cinderella Girls anime was put up in public today.

Who's who:

On the left, in bunny suit - Nina Ichihara
On the left, in mid-air with raised arms - Akane Hino
Front middle, kneeling with a finger to her mouth - Airi Totoki
Middle, standing above Airi with a green top - Aiko Takamori
Middle, wearing a white top and with another girl's arms around her shoulders - Miria Akagi
Middle, with her arms around Miria - Kirari Moroboshi (I think)
Far back, the left of the two slide girls - Syoko Hoshi
Far back, the right of the two slide girls - Mio Honda
On the right with blonde hair - Rika Jougasaki
On the right with pink hair, behind Rika - Mika Jougasaki

In case it's unclear, the best of these characters is Syoko.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I watched this ad ages ago, although I have no idea how I came upon it. Maybe on my search for failed maid cafes in North America.

Well it was posted in this thread many moons ago. I'm just glad I remembered what it was called to find it again.

Also, the shop is apparently dead.

Also lol at those hating on physical media. Enjoy EA stealing your shows in the future.

Also why does A-1 pictures have bad taste. Where da good idols at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom