• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A comment from another forum related to LH, I will repost just because it made me lol

In my experience, people will put up with ridiculous amounts of shit if it means they can get new shinies. Log Horizon is actually really unrealistic because all of the top raiding guilds on that server we've seen have been led by reasonable, intelligent people instead of power-tripping caustic autists.

Spice And Wolf Overall Thoughts
the plot was great, the characters was top notch, and music was placed to great use and did not felt recycled(even though it was). Holo is just a great female character, wish more future anime can produce another fantastic character.

Can i just say that episode 11 has one of the best scene imo. It should be the first half in the bedroom.

I think i can safely say that this is one of those anime that will hook you in until the end.I can say that, cause as of time I finished the anime, lets just say its 4 am on the same night i started watching.(goddamnit, it was supposed to be until 12!)

I give it a bunchofapple/10

Midonin

Diamond Dust Drops ~Shoko~

Some mixed feelings on this one. Having a heroine who actively knows she's cheating is a huge change of pace from the more innocent girls (especially Suomi) who I've encountered thus far, and hers is the only arc that ends with her realizing one of the most important people in her life is
a Daru-like stereotypical nerd who was listening to her radio show
. That her radio show was the same one that was playing in the background in earlier episodes is a nice way to tie the various stories together, and surprisingly, the diamond dust wasn't mentioned at all, merely appearing as an unmentioned explosion of light when the sunflowers were tossed into the atmosphere. It ends more positively than Kyoko's, but the heroine is noticeably digging herself in even deeper trouble, since this involves a married man instead of a circle of friends.

The theme I'm getting from all of these stories is realizing the right kind of person for oneself and learning how to be honest. I'm glad it's expanded to include friendship as well as love. Gives the story a slightly broader appeal.

Shounen Hollywood - 5

The much talked about play finally happens. Show hasn't looked this good since the first episode.

I don't know if was a good idea to make it last the entire episode, though. Foreshadowing or allegorical maybe?

Hattori

Banned
[Barakamon] - 5
Hina finally got some lines in after couple of episodes. Sensei is starting to get attached to the townsfolk. Tama continues to be the Tama. All in all, it's a pretty good episode.
I'm stealing Jexhius' title format because it looks spiffy :)

Guardians of the Galaxy
I think this might be my favorite Marvel movie now. The Whedon-esque humor was great, the characters all have great and distinguishable personalities, the visuals were great, and Groot is who he is. Chris Pratt was pretty good.

9/10 would watch again. Also dat post credit scene
what a fucking troll

Hattori

Banned
ガジヤンスオウザガラクシ
I think this might be my favorite Marvel movie now. The Whedon-esque humor was great, the characters all have great and distinguishable personalities, the visuals were great, and Groot is who he is. Chris Pratt was pretty good.

9/10 would watch again. Also dat post credit scene
what a fucking troll
ftfy。

Mahouka Episode 18

No Head No Dragons it was nice seeing you last as long as you did. Juumonji is buff as always, them guns. Though it was nice seeing him in action. Aside from the bad CGI the dancing scene was priceless, seeing Tatsuya not give a fuck was funny. Masaki dancing with Miyuki was also nice. Enjoyable episode. Can't wait for the Yokohama Disturbance Arc next week.

jgminto

Sword Art Online 5

Sinon got that lust for esports. At least she's enjoying herself. So Kirito wants to hide his identity...but uses the same avatar name as the last two games he played...is he that much of an idiot? And it seems like he's still a total beater with his super hearing that was never mentioned and he can instantly use. That revelation at the end though, pretty shocking. Now I have a theory...I'm about 95% sure the guy with the skull mask...is the guy with the skull mask.
ibzAkoVwrA5bwX.png
The other 5% suspects it's the old man from the fishing episode. You've solved it, Kirito. Good job. I'm sure the Government can now search his information from the SAO data, find where he's living and raid his apartment. Hey, maybe they'll even let you stab him yourself just like the last one! Now we can end the show early, go home and be a family man, Kirito. Take good care of your vanilla wife and Tamagotchi child.

SWORD ART ONLINE SEASON 2 END

Syrinx

Dirty Pair 14

I love how the "interruption" for the debate was just putting a small square with it in the middle of the screen while the regular program played behind it. Also funny how the Dirty Pair keep squeezing more and more raises, bonuses, and vacations from their boss, but they're always strapped for cash and time off.

BluWacky

A little bit of catching up...

Mahouka 4

A few months' break has not been kind to my opinion of this show. I thought this episode was terrible; laden with tedious technical exposition and the usual incest humour (a term that makes it sound much worse than I actually think it is - it's just a rubbish running gag that sometimes isn't a gag and therefore becomes weird). There's a bit at the start of the episode where the episode's screenwriter couldn't think of a sensible way of adapting a description from the novel, so literally has Tatsuya narrate what a character we can already see looks like - it's pure laziness.

What I really want is a good fantasy fight sequence; most shows with decent anime are martial arts or swords based and I was hoping for some spell action here (although I will admit to enjoying the martial arts sequences thus far). It's just wrapped up in so much drudgery and thin characterisation; it's not really worth it, frankly.

I shall look out for some MAD footage.

Glasslip 1

This is perfectly competent and yet so very, very PA Works; high school age drama with a bright aesthetic and ironic mono no aware up the wazoo. It's the last time they'll see those fireworks together, but they'll be friends forever!!!!!!!!!!!

Also chickens.

I have to admit to finding this so uninteresting that I have no idea what the hook is as I wasn't paying attention - glassblowing and messages from the future, it seems. What I did pay attention to seemed very rote - secretly jealous friends, broody young men etc. etc.

I plan on trying Ao Haru Ride at some point over the weekend and it'll be interesting to see whether I've just plain gone off high school relationship drama, Which reminds me, I'm still stalled somewhere in the first half of Kimi ni Todoke...

Barakamon 1

I honestly wasn't sure what to expect from this despite the positivity of many people. Whether there's enough here to tell a story that will engage me for a whole series I don't know - the first ep basically covered everything that a film version would as the lead character has already had his epiphany thanks to the magic of simple country folk. All we'd need is another episode to handle the apology and refusal to move back to Tokyo because he's finally found himself (and maybe another for the shoe-horned in romance storyline?)

However, whatever the show ends up being if it's anywhere as well animated as the first ep it should be entertaining. There's so much character in everyone, the humour comes through in the characters' looks as much as what they're saying... it's just lovely to look at.

Jex

[Log Horizon - Complete Series Review]
LOG HORIZON - IT'S LIKE SWORD ART ONLINE, BUT NOT SHIT

Just kidding! Log Horizon doesn't really resemble Sword Art Online at all. This may puzzle those of you who are aware of the premise of Log Horizon - a bunch of people get trapped inside the world of an MMORPG. This in an accurate description but it utterly fails to describe the what makes the show interesting.

So if Log Horizon isn't just like Sword Art Online, what the hell is it? Earlier I described Log Horizon as Twelve Kingdoms + Spice and Wolf + .hack//SIGN + Legend of the Galactic Heroes with a dash of Neon Genesis Evangelion. If that sounds good to you than feel free to check the show out but be warned that it starts off a little slow and doesn't try to pull you in with cheap hooks. You may need to be a little patient before the show 'clicks'. I imagine most people, however, will need to know a lot more people investing their limited time in trying the show out.

Log Horizon takes the very basic premise of 'players get trapped inside an MMO' and then actually explores this idea to it's logical conclusion while simultaneously avoiding many of the tropes which are common in this genre. For example, death is not the end. This means that the show actually has to generate tension through means other than death which is considerably more work for the writer. It's a testament to the quality of the work that there are a number of tense moments in the series.

Another important element of the story is that we never see the real world or have any idea how people trapped in this new reality. This leads the show an element of mystery and sorely lacking from something like Sword Art Online.

Easily the biggest deviation from the formula is that the players aren't simply trapped inside the game they used to play, instead they're actually trapped inside a fantasy world that resembles that game. This is has huge implications for the story because it turns old ideas on their head. If this isn't a game, then how did get trapped in this world? How should people live in a world without laws and government? If this is a 'real' world, then what about NPC's? Surely these are just normal people trying to go about their lives.

You'll notice I haven't written anything about the key characters of the story, or even the protagonist. The cast is broadly sketched and filled with a bunch of fun characters who interact in a somewhat predictable but ultimately satisfying manner. The protagonist, Shiroe, is really the only person worth talking about. He's not the strongest fighter in the show, neither is he a charismatic leader of men. Instead he's a masterful strategist, the power behind the throne. The charm of the series comes from watching him encounter and overcome increasingly complicated problems through clever strategies. Unusually for a 'hero' he doesn't take the centre stage because his manipulations and trickery lead many people to view him as more of a villain than a saviour. This operates in stark contrast to power fantasy drek like Sword Art Online.

Normally I'd berate a show for having such thin characterisation of it's main cast but I give Log Horizon the pass because it's story is focusing on so many other things at once. The writer is clearly fascinated by systems more so then the people. Characters exist and are important but the world building comes first, every time. Some of the most emotional, pivotal and important scenes of this show involve people talking about the importance of contracts. You'll never see another fantasy or MMO anime discuss:

• how to pull aggro and managing spell cooldowns while also discussing
  • the importance off correctly completed documentation
  • the most effective way to deal with retail complaints,
  • the logistics of moving cargo
  • correct way to negotiate a deal

Every elements of the world is realised and discussed to the point that within a single episode we'll watch a tiny party of players face off against monsters, while at the same time discussing considering the positioning or armies while at the same time considering the political ramifications of alliances between major factions. The show manages to weave everything from the micro to the macro together into one cohesive and exciting story that's unlike any other show I've seem It's genuinely impressive and how it all comes together. So much so that whenever I finished an episode I immediately wanted start the next one not because of some cheap cliff-hanger but because I actually want to see what happens next to these characters and this fascinating world that the creator has crafted.

While I have lots of positive things to say about the series it's far from perfect. Quite far from perfect actually. Here's a list of things wrong with the show:

• The direction is extremely flat.
  • While the background art is attractive, nothing else about the art is worth mentioning.
  • The animation is fairly average, and there's even ugly CG during certain action sequences.
  • The sound track is bland.
  • The characters are painted broadly. This isn't always a problem but I feel that the relationship between Shireo and his Ninja subordinate isn't as fleshed out or developed as the show pretends it is.
  • The opening of the series features lots of bad, repetitive stock jokes.
  • A later development between the protagonist and two girls literally had me rolling my eyes, to the point where it was actually spoiling my enjoyment of a show that I had practically marathond.

As all of the problems above suggest, most of the show absolutely has to be carried on the strength of it's writing because there's nothing else to really draw you in as a casual viewer. It's a good thin, then, that the world building is so rich and engaging.

I'm used to recommending shows with noticeable imperfections, but it's rare for me to single out a show for praise when there are so many things wrong with it. This simply demonstrates that the strength of the series, namely the world building, is so strong and so unique that it actually manages to elevate the series completely above and beyond it's other failings. To the point where I would have actually put it on my top ten anime list last year.

For all the reasons above I recommend that you soldier through the rather generic opening arc so that you can uncover the genuinely fresh story that lies beneath that generic exterior. There really isn't anything else like Log Horizon in anime so go out there so go and give it a shot.

You know what, screw it, I can't write a Log Horizon review without the Database Opening. It's not really indicative of the tone or nature of the show at all and I don't even think it's a good song but it's just so damn catchy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o042YjdMPP0

cajunator

Banned
Ah, it's something I have wondered about ever since I first watched the series almost a decade ago.

It was supposed to create some sort of storybook effect or something. I dont remember the exact point of it. but its absolutely supposed to be there. It fooled people too. People thought they had de-interlacing problems.

Jex

Once again, I'm reminded that editing is so much more work than actually writing. My initial review was something like twice as long and I still think it needs quite a bit of work to improve general readability. Apologies for any missed typos.

Normally I'd berate a show for having such thin characterisation of it's main cast but I give Log Horizon the pass because it's story is focusing on so many other things at once. The writer is clearly fascinated by systems more so then the people. Characters exist and are important but the world building comes first, every time. Some of the most emotional, pivotal and important scenes of this show involve people talking about the importance of contracts. You'll never see another fantasy or MMO anime discuss:

Every elements of the world is realised and discussed to the point that within a single episode we'll watch a tiny party of players face off against monsters, while at the same time discussing considering the positioning or armies while at the same time considering the political ramifications of alliances between major factions. The show manages to weave everything from the micro to the macro together into one cohesive and exciting story that's unlike any other show I've seem It's genuinely impressive and how it all comes together. So much so that whenever I finished an episode I immediately wanted start the next one not because of some cheap cliff-hanger but because I actually want to see what happens next to these characters and this fascinating world that the creator has crafted.
Great write up!

For the parts I cut out I feel a lot of this has to do with the author's experiences with MMOs himself. In his talks on 4chan and other outlets he's mentioned he's played MMOs before and his writing shows he understands the systems. In fact if you take a closer look at the LN and all the extra materials with it you can see he has basically crafted a near full MMO with Log Horizon. Really amazing stuff.

Once again, I'm reminded that editing is so much more work than actually writing. My initial review was something like twice as long and I still think it needs quite a bit of work to improve general readability. Apologies for any missed typos.
If there's one thing I find unforgivable is bad spelling and Grammer, irregardless I'll forgive you.

LOG HORIZON - IT'S LIKE SWORD ART ONLINE, BUT NOT SHIT

Just kidding! Log Horizon doesn't really resemble Sword Art Online at all. This may puzzle those of you who are aware of the premise of Log Horizon - a bunch of people get trapped inside the world of an MMORPG. This in an accurate description but it utterly fails to describe the what makes the show interesting.

So if Log Horizon isn't just like Sword Art Online, what the hell is it? Earlier I described Log Horizon as Twelve Kingdoms + Spice and Wolf + .hack//SIGN + Legend of the Galactic Heroes with a dash of Neon Genesis Evangelion. If that sounds good to you than feel free to check the show out but be warned that it starts off a little slow and doesn't try to pull you in with cheap hooks. You may need to be a little patient before the show 'clicks'. I imagine most people, however, will need to know a lot more people investing their limited time in trying the show out.

Log Horizon takes the very basic premise of 'players get trapped inside an MMO' and then actually explores this idea to it's logical conclusion while simultaneously avoiding many of the tropes which are common in this genre. For example, death is not the end. This means that the show actually has to generate tension through means other than death which is considerably more work for the writer. It's a testament to the quality of the work that there are a number of tense moments in the series.

Another important element of the story is that we never see the real world or have any idea how people trapped in this new reality. This leads the show an element of mystery and sorely lacking from something like Sword Art Online.

Easily the biggest deviation from the formula is that the players aren't simply trapped inside the game they used to play, instead they're actually trapped inside a fantasy world that resembles that game. This is has huge implications for the story because it turns old ideas on their head. If this isn't a game, then how did get trapped in this world? How should people live in a world without laws and government? If this is a 'real' world, then what about NPC's? Surely these are just normal people trying to go about their lives.

You'll notice I haven't written anything about the key characters of the story, or even the protagonist. The cast is broadly sketched and filled with a bunch of fun characters who interact in a somewhat predictable but ultimately satisfying manner. The protagonist, Shiroe, is really the only person worth talking about. He's not the strongest fighter in the show, neither is he a charismatic leader of men. Instead he's a masterful strategist, the power behind the throne. The charm of the series comes from watching him encounter and overcome increasingly complicated problems through clever strategies. Unusually for a 'hero' he doesn't take the centre stage because his manipulations and trickery lead many people to view him as more of a villain than a saviour. This operates in stark contrast to power fantasy drek like Sword Art Online.

While I have lots of positive things to say about the series it's far from perfect. Quite far from perfect actually. Here's a list of things wrong with the show:

• The direction is extremely flat.
  • While the background art is attractive, nothing else about the art is worth mentioning.
  • The animation is fairly average, and there's even ugly CG during certain action sequences.
  • The sound track is bland.
  • The characters are painted broadly
  • The opening of the series features lots of bad, repetitive stock jokes.
  • A later development between the protagonist and two girls literally had me rolling my eyes, to the point where it was actually spoiling my enjoyment of a show that I had practically marathond.

As all of the problems above suggest, most of the show absolutely has to be carried on the strength of it's writing because there's nothing else to really draw you in as a casual viewer. It's a good thin, then, that the world building is so rich and engaging.

I'm used to recommending shows with noticeable imperfections, but it's rare for me to single out a show for praise when there are so many things wrong with it. This simply demonstrates that the strength of the series, namely the world building, is so strong and so unique that it actually manages to elevate the series completely above and beyond it's other failings. To the point where I would have actually put it on my top ten anime list last year.

For all the reasons above I recommend that you soldier through the rather generic opening arc so that you can uncover the genuinely fresh story that lies beneath that generic exterior. There really isn't anything else like Log Horizon in anime so go out there so go and give it a shot.

Nice write-up, pretty much what I felt. Though I do hope season 2 of Log horizon still contain the things that made season 1 great. Sequels to different anime series make me cautious because some do end up not as good as the previous.

Crocodile

Jexhius is trying really hard is sell Log Horizon :p

I respect the write up though. I watched the first 4 episodes last year and was left feeling pretty cold on the series. Maybe I'll give it another shot but I'd be lying if I said it was a priority.

Taruranto

Gankutsuo 19

The count doesn't seem bothered by the fact
he killed the wrong man.
Albert continues to channel his inner Shinji and tries to deal with the fallout of the duel by trying to run away from home. Not that he managed to get very far.

That dream sequence was pretty heartbreaking. ;_;
And Albert is entirely correct thinking Franz's death is on him.

This guy ...
Lannisters have nothing on him.

General Morcerf has been awfully quiet since the scandal. With Monte Cristo's identity revealed I imagine he is busy planning the comeback for the final streak of episodes.

This is the part where it start to deviate heavily from the book, and it shows. My favorite scene in the book is completely removed/changed in the anime, sadly.

Although the anime version of
Benedetto
was freacking awesome,

SAOII 05

You know, in most games you don't have to undress yourself to switch clothing/armor.

B-But how else was she going to show that they're girls? Or how else was she going to equip the soft fluffy pillow so they could have a pillow fight and then make out passionately? Girls just wanna have fun.

cajunator

Banned

No worries. Its an excellent review!

If you just want to see MMO fighting and aren't into the political/economic aspect, you aren't going to like Log Horizon. One of the reasons I regret not dropping it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom