• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT3| where everyone watches doremi for hito

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Hunter x Hunter (2011) 1-148 FIN

OK nerds, you win. Hunter x Hunter is gud

So, are you going to post a more detailed write up? I only ask because I've noticed a lot of people posting on twitter about anime that they're watching but not actually posting on GAF.

This isn't really an issue except that I don't really feel like writing long responses via twitter as it seems kind of silly. It's not something I'd want to do for every show, of course, but some of the Gundam shows deserve a bit more discussion as does Hunter x Hunter.

I mean, what does "is gud" mean. Which arcs? Which moments? Etc etc.

Narag

So, are you going to post a more detailed write up? I only ask because I've noticed a lot of people posting on twitter about anime that they're watching but not actually posting on GAF.

This isn't really an issue except that I don't really feel like writing long responses via twitter as it seems kind of silly. It's not something I'd want to do for every show, of course, but some of the Gundam shows deserve a bit more discussion as does Hunter x Hunter.

Actually yeah but later as that last third of episodes had some major problems.

Jex

Actually yeah but later as that last third of episodes had some major problems.
Perhaps while I'm in the process of slowly walking down the hallway you could have a narrator explain those points to me even though it's pretty clear what they will be.

Narag

Perhaps while I'm in the process of slowly walking down the hallway you could have a narrator explain those points to me even though it's pretty clear what they will be.

Only if you're willing to note this strange feeling you'll encounter as the compression of time you'd had described to you yet never experienced yourself while simultaneously expressing shock at just how little time has actually elapsed.

Jex

The Rose of Versailles - 03

Well this episode was fucking hilarious. Marie Antoinette crosses hairs with a dubious woman named Madame du Barry, who apparently cheated her way into power from off of the streets and into the king's lap. What occurs through the episode is basically a "MY DRESS IS FRILLIER THAN YOURS!" campaign between the two and it is amazing. It definitely give me Dear Brother vibes, and I'm really hoping there's more of it. Mean Girls ain't got nothin' on this.

Yes, that's pretty much the first half of the show. Towards the midpoint the story takes turn and the show changed directors which is when then things get really crazy.

Jex

Berserk - 03

Grifith seems to be mr perfect. Okay episode, I would prefer that the main plot continues soon though

It's not like I wanted to join your gang or anything.. baka

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this, but I can assure you that you're experiencing the main plot right now.

The Comic Artist and His Assistants 12

Lw3fp8X.jpg

And it all ends with a karaoke song praising panties.

It starts out good enough, but towards the middle it just stops being funny. Instead it adds relationship parts, which while ok enough isn't what I was looking for in this one. It also introduces some characters that's not funny at all like the manga editor. Still some amusing stuff at the end, but nothing like in the earlier episodes.

The best parts of this was the bits between Aito and Ashisu. Some of the early stuff with Mihari was good as well. The guy who voices Aito is good at voicing the pervy dumbass, which he also did in No Game No Life (although I didn't like the character he played in that).

Fun enough in the first half of the series, so I'll give it 2.5/5 Branya:
AmYKbOF.png
AmYKbOF.png
SYLkmEt.png
gcBjZoe.png
gcBjZoe.png

Jex

I was under the impression the tv series was the way to go

Berserk - 04

Correct choice made.
You don't even have to go to the tsundere violence dynamic (which I don't really like) to understand that relationship in Nozaki-kun, though. The dynamic between Hori and Kashima is basic manzai stuff. Violent slapstick physical response to stupidity is all over the place in Japanese comedy. Their relationship is no different from that of many other comic duos, and is meant to be read by the audience through that lens.

Nozaki-kun makes a point of not linking anybody through romantic feelings, outside of Sakura's one-sided love for Nozaki. Hori is Kashima's upperclassman in a club, and that is how they relate to each other. Forcing that pairing through the prism of intimate romance completely misreads the context.

But the shippers sonicmj1, please think of the shippers!
Is it just me, or is Deadman Wonderland somewhat crap?

Hardly.

Moaradin

Should've just watched the by all accounts superior 1999 version.

said nobody ever

I was under the impression the tv series was the way to go

Berserk - 04

Well I didn't expect this (NSFW?)
Backstory to the backstory. Some interesting stuff, born from a corpse? And the man in his nightmare from first episode was his "mentor"

both kinda pale compared to the manga, but if I had to choose, I'd go with the TV version.

Momo Kyun Sword - END

A pox on that fucking ending. Oni girl still had the best ass and was the best girl.

Hunter x Hunter - END

Absolutely loved this series. One of the few long running shows I actually bothered to watch and enjoyed all the way through. I should really start reading the manga.

Time for another watchbet. This time with nintendoman58:

Gurren Lagann 01

Everything starts with a big bang.

Underground villages and lots of drills. So this is where those glasses are from, and I can see how the people who made Kill la Kill made this as well.

It's a bit more complicated than "by all accounts". I think many would consider 2011 vital since it covers more of the story. Consensus seems to be something like:

Hunter exam: 99>2011
Tower: about equal (2011 may have edge due to animation)
Yorknew: same as above
Greed Island: 2011>>>>>>>99
Chimera Ant: 99 version N/A so 2011 wins by default (has pacing issues that were present in the manga)

So for all but one arc, the 2011 version holds its own.

Theonik

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's 02-04
Well the new transformation is lewder than the last one which means a lot of people probably got arrested for this.
The fake German is less fun when actually in Germany. Other than that silly powerups we'll see what happens etc.

Welp, looks like I have no choice but to add this to my watch list.
It was already sitting on my to-do list. What the hell.

Mature

I mean, what does "is gud" mean. Which arcs? Which moments? Etc etc.
We're losing all the greats to twitter.

What you're watching right now is by all means the main timeline. That first episode is more of a flash-forward.

Oh, alright. I thought there was going to be 2-3 episodes of backstory and then straight back to E01. Without spoilering too much, how far forward is that?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

Gurren Lagann 01

Underground villages and lots of drills. So this is where those glasses are from, and I can see how the people who made Kill la Kill made this as well.

TTGL is pretty good

Clov

Bad wording on my part, I'm referring to E01 grown up Guts, perhaps 'Main timeline' would've been better

When I first started watching Berserk, I thought the same thing. Yet as the series went on, I found myself so interested in the Golden Age story that I forgot about that first episode. Keep watching, it's great!

http://a.pomf.se/ariczo.webm

http://a.pomf.se/lzblvr.webm

Nozaki-kun 1

Opening: It's alright. Wonder what's with the poor Tanuki abuse.
Ending: Gonna be stuck in my head all week. I just know it.

So that was nice.

Thought I might have been annoyed by Chiyo since that's usually the case with a character like her, but thankfully that wasn't the case.

I do wish she would have confessed properly.

Not that I expected it to happen mind you.

Just something I'd like to see.

Nozaki has that straight face routine down and makes for a good pair with Chiyo's overreactions.

Was worried that he would just be "the stoic" the entire time, but those fears quickly disappeared the moment he smiled.

That scene alone drew the biggest laughs from me.

Gurren Lagann 01

Awwwww yeah. You're in for quite a ride. :)

I'll make sure to get Steins;Gate started later tonight.

Jex

It's a bit more complicated than "by all accounts". I think many would consider 2011 vital since it covers more of the story. Consensus seems to be something like:

Hunter exam: 99>2011
Tower: about equal (2011 may have edge due to animation)
Yorknew: same as above
Greed Island: 2011>>>>>>>99
Chimera Ant: 99 version N/A so 2011 wins by default (has pacing issues that were present in the manga)

So for all but one arc, the 2011 version holds its own.

It's interesting that this has come to light.

I've recently re-watched Hunter x Hunter 2011 (yes that's right, as soon as I finished my first watch of the series I went back to the beginning and watched 140 episodes for the second time in a two month period) and I've reached a somewhat similar conclusion.

Whale Island Arc - > 99 version as it basically doesn't exist in the 2011 version.
Hunter Exam Arc - > 99 version.
Tower Arc - > I agree these are pretty similar, I'd have to go watch and double check the 99 version but I feel it was still slightly better.
York New -> These are pretty much equal, the modern version is perhaps a little better but it's not worth arguing about.
Greed Island -> Obviously better in 2011.
And the other arcs don't exist!

Ojamajo Doremi End

I have completed what was originally suggestedt by Yuu and done partly in the name of Hito. This series was completely not what I had always thought it to be. I honestly thought it was about fairies are something whenever I saw it in passing and also didn't give it a chance because '90s anime'. Holy fuck I was off. I found the vast majority of the episode entertaining and was amused when they solved things with magic or just good ole fashion know how. Certainly one of the better magical girl shows out there as well.

I'm sorely tempted to jump right into the next season after that ending. Pop and Onpu confirmed for best.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Thanks for the replies all. I'll have to start sorting out my plan here soon enough.

A good anime?

Something good for once.

Good anime exists?

Ghost Stories with english dub obviously :p

Not on the list but I've seen the first couple of episodes before I had to put it on hold. Plan on picking it back up sometime.

You seem to love crap, may I suggest a Valvrave/Guilty Crown back to back viewing?

Already seen Valvrave
and neither are on the List :p

Syrinx

Ojamajo Doremi End

I have completed what was originally suggestedt by Yuu and done partly in the name of Hito. This series was completely not what I had always thought it to be. I honestly thought it was about fairies are something whenever I saw it in passing and also didn't give it a chance because '90s anime'. Holy fuck I was off. I found the vast majority of the episode entertaining and was amused when they solved things with magic or just good ole fashion know how. Certainly one of the better magical girl shows out there as well.

I'm sorely tempted to jump right into the next season after that ending. Pop and Onpu confirmed for best.

Just my personal opinion here so take it for what you will: every sequel season of Ojamajo Doremi is better than the first season.

Narag

So hossana, your beloved guide wagcb thd sams 140 eps twice and you still believe that certain show ain't worth watching?.

If '99 ends where I think it does, it's a good stopping point that emphasizes the importance of the journey whereas the material adapted in '11 that wasn't in '99 places emphasis on the closure achieved by reaching the destination.

cajunator

Banned
So AnimeGAF, I'm thinking about doing another List double dose here soon.

Here's what I've seen so far:

• Geass
  • Yami
  • School Days
  • Mars of Destruction
  • Garzey's

What should be my next move?

Blood-C and Arjuna!

Oh, it looks like Sentai's release slate for January just got announced, including a random new license for Muv-Luv Alternative Total Eclipse.

http://www.sentaifilmworks.com/news/sentai-filmworks-official-january-2015-releas

Dog & Scissors (BD/DVD with dub) -- [previously DVD sub-only]
Non Non Biyori (BD/DVD, sub-only)
Qwaser of Stigmata Complete Collection (BD/DVD, sub-only) -- [previously DVD only]
Amagami SS+ (BD, sub-only) -- [previously DVD only]
Little Busters Refrain (BD/DVD with dub)
Muv-Luv Alternative Total Eclipse Collection 1 (BD/DVD with dub)
A-Channel (BD, sub-only) -- [previously DVD only]
Log Horizon Collection 2 (BD/DVD with dub)
Maid-Sama (BD/DVD with dub) -- [previously DVD sub-only]

So, some new stuff, some rereleases now on BD and two new dubs.

All available on Right Stuf to preorder .

Non non biyori and Log horizon are so mine!

Yugioh Arc-V Episode 24

Great fight for LDS. Was hyped to see Yaiba so excited and everyone else unleash their special summons, but like Zexal manga, we get some pretty huge ATK's here. Perhaps the reason why Arc-V is always at the top of my favorite anime of each week list.

I want a Raid Raptors deck right now.
ByQJB0aIEAAYliS.png

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I told you Hana would make it back! I thought it was cheap, but still liked the ending. The real world implication of her going back are hilarious. They had about a day, so her mom probably bought a super expensive ass flight, Hana got on the plane for an at least 12 hour flight, and got there around 7 pm. I don't feel like charting the flight and times, but it seems impossible hahaha
Which is why I was just hoping for a Toradora ending. Otherwise, why go through with the goodbye at all? Just have them stop at the airport.

But ah well, happy endings are still fun.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh, it looks like Sentai's release slate for January just got announced, including a random new license for Muv-Luv Alternative Total Eclipse.

http://www.sentaifilmworks.com/news/...ry-2015-releas

Dog & Scissors (BD/DVD with dub) -- [previously DVD sub-only]
Non Non Biyori (BD/DVD, sub-only)
Qwaser of Stigmata Complete Collection (BD/DVD, sub-only) -- [previously DVD only]
Amagami SS+ (BD, sub-only) -- [previously DVD only]
Little Busters Refrain (BD/DVD with dub)
Muv-Luv Alternative Total Eclipse Collection 1 (BD/DVD with dub)
A-Channel (BD, sub-only) -- [previously DVD only]
Log Horizon Collection 2 (BD/DVD with dub)
Maid-Sama (BD/DVD with dub) -- [previously DVD sub-only]

So, some new stuff, some rereleases now on BD and two new dubs.

All available on Right Stuf to preorder .

Any of this stuff have special features?

Also a Dog and Scissors dub... I am very :chitanda about it.

Cwarrior

Coming from someone that been a Megafan of the 1999 version for over decade, 2011 verison trumps it by beautifully adapting chimera ant arc the greatest arc of them all.

Hunter exam 99>2011
Tower both equal
Yorknew both equal
Greed island 2011>>>>>99

99 weren't around for the magnificent Chimera Ant arc & the election arc.

So, how did captain earth end?

Long story short:

Puck took control of the Planetary Gears' base, got himself an ego cube, destroyed the ego cubes of some P-Gears, said he wanted to install himself into every sentient life-form, started with Hana and then turned the Blume spaceship into a giant robot. The others P-Gears pondered the meaning of life and sacrificed their ego cubes in a failed attempt to destroy Giant Robot Puck. Daichi managed to get into the Giant Robot, brought Hana back with a telepathic kiss and they destroyed Puck's cube and robot with their Livlasters.

Aftermath:

- Earth is saved
- Teppei and Akari are safe (Akari didn't do anything during the final confrontation; Teppei just used his shield a lot)
- P-Gears are now humans.
- Daichi and Hana are somewhere in space (not sure) but they're probably fine since the blue-haired schoolgirl who gave Daichi his gun in the first episode is with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom