• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drifters 8-9

Had some free time, so I decided to continue watching this series. More historical figures showing up is great, though Abe no Seimei wasn't as recognizable to me as others like Hannibal and Nobunaga. I think the humour in this show works much better when it sticks to historical references, as I thought the scene between Scipio and Naoshi about the Tripartite Act was hilarious.

Saint Germi is a kind of weird character. I don't really know what to think of him so far. Also, fucking Hitler again. Not only did he do terrible things to the Elves, but he literally put the dwarves into concentration camps. It pretty obvious what Golgolka was supposed to remind you of, and according to some people who read the manga, the sign the dwarf throws to Toyohisa's feet has the slogan on it as was on the gate to Auschwitz. Makes me almost mad that the archers didn't kill the surrendering soldiers, like they did to the rapists in Episode 6. Those bastards would have certainly deserved it.

I also like the idea that the Drifters were brought into the world to bring their new points of view with them. For better or for worse, they bring change. It kind of makes me okay with the fact that Hitler was a Drifter. Sure, the change he brought was terrible, but even Murasaki seems to know that, but it also led to Toyohisa being able to finally unite the elves and dwarves and get those races to put aside their differences to fight a worse enemy.

Looking back over the fall thread, it's kind of surprising not many people were talking about this show. It's really fun, and it seems like the kind of thing I would have thought AnimeGAF would have been interested in.

This season seems weak.

More *gatari, Welcome to the Ballroom, and not a lot else. Maybe Kakegurui if it has more than fanservice (for example, if the mindgames are good).

YuYu Hakusho - 01-03

qORrbCS.jpg

That's how I like my mouths drawn and animated.

Approved!

In other news, if anime were to be believed then Japanese mid and high schoolers encounter the by far most violence of any country.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
It makes me sad that ufotable is animating Touken Ranbu instead of fucking Fate/Apocrypha. This is some alternate timeline shit we're in.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
But New Game was fun as well....

I worked in games for most of my early career, I'd rather a show like that be closer to Shirobako/Girlish Number, except even more realistic/depressing. The dumb 4-koma moe take on things needs to stay in the high school slice-of-life garbage heap! :p

Tonton

It makes me sad that ufotable is animating Touken Ranbu instead of fucking Fate/Apocrypha. This is some alternate timeline shit we're in.

After UBW I am more than fine with other studios tackling Fate stuff

I worked in games for most of my early career, I'd rather a show like that be closer to Shirobako/Girlish Number, except even more realistic/depressing. The dumb 4-koma moe take on things needs to stay in the high school slice-of-life garbage heap! :p

Yeah New Game is extremely disappointing if you're wanting something like Shirobako for video games

I still had my share of fun with it tho

Gulz1992

Started binge watching Gurren Lagann. I recall this show being really popular back in my middle school but I never saw it. Well, I just finished episode 8 and currently my opinion is that this show may not be as insightful as some other anime's, but it makes up for a lack of substance with an undeniably strong sense of style. It's entertaining mainly because of how over the top and insane it is, while at the same time it sometimes manages to surprise with genuine emotional payoffs that seem to come out of nowhere. I sadly had
Kamina's death
spoiled for me but it was still bombastically entertaining as hell to watch. Hopefully the rest of the show keeps up this flair. Oh, and the dub is also pretty good.

Started binge watching Gurren Lagann. I recall this show being really popular back in my middle school but I never saw it. Well, I just finished episode 8 and currently my opinion is that this show may not be as insightful as some other anime's, but it makes up for a lack of substance with an undeniably strong sense of style. It's entertaining mainly because of how over the top and insane it is, while at the same time it sometimes manages to surprise with genuine emotional payoffs that seem to come out of nowhere. I sadly had
Kamina's death
spoiled for me but it was still bombastically entertaining as hell to watch. Hopefully the rest of the show keeps up this flair.

I disagree that Gurren Lagann lacks substance.

The show's second half is incredibly divisive due to the actions of a certain character, but I feel that it serves as a payoff to traits that were hinted at in earlier episodes. I won't spoil anything, but a lot of people disliked the beginning of the second half because it threw the style away for more substance, whereas I felt that it only helped make the characters stronger than they already were.

Gulz1992

I disagree that Gurren Lagann lacks substance.

The show's second half is incredibly divisive due to the actions of a certain character, but I feel that it serves as a payoff to traits that were hinted at in earlier episodes. I won't spoil anything, but a lot of people disliked the beginning of the second half because it threw the style away for more substance, whereas I felt that it only helped make the characters stronger than they already were.

Well that'll be interesting. Not sure how I might feel about letting back on the style, but so far the show is more than competent at storytelling so hopefully it knows how to stay entertaining.

Narag

Symphogear GX 12

I love twilight of the heroes shit just for the sort of pushback present at the end of this ep.

Narag

I don't even think the fate nerds i follow on twitter describe it as anything more than "well it is kinda bad but I still like it" anymore.

Little Witch Academia, Episodes 1-13: Alrighty, I finished up the first 13 episodes available on Netflix and I'm liking it. It's matching the tone set in the first two OVAs, with the only difference being Sucy is more of a troll. I think Akko is pretty bratty but still endearing since a lot of her hot hotheadedness leads to things blowing up in her face.

There's been quite a few charming episodes, my favorites so far has been the
Headmaster's father
getting resurrected and Akko taking the trip inside Sucy's head. I said it before, but the series reminds me a lot like a Saturday Morning Cartoon in a good way.

Can't wait to see the next 12 episodes.

Cornbread78

I don't need realism, I just want fun dammit! I usually hate the "cgdct" shows too... Shirobaka put me to sleep most of the time too...

So I guess I'll need to join anime strike for my ballroom dancing and long necks.

Just play Horizon for a good long neck fix.

Little Shop of Horrors

Never watched this before and apparently I had missed a sadistic Steve Martin perform a root canal on a masochistic horny bill Murray

You can't be serious.
Even if the source itself was mostly weak, there were still several high moments that are the highlights of the highlights of the route. ufotable mishandled most of those scenes and rarely hit any of those same highs, while exacerbating several of the existing lows in the rest of it.

Narag

Tiger Mask W 38 FIN
SKjxP3Hl.jpg

mfw Hellwarden uses all the screens I was going to

Show was really special once it found itself and it saved the best for last. It'll be a shame if Haruna never gets her own show out of this.

Tiger Mask W 38/END
As the other two above have said, Tiger Mask W turned into a damn good show once it found it's groove around episode 10 or so (yes Red Mask was hype as fuck but the early episodes were quite uneven). Maybe we will get the New GWM spin-off show that the world deserves in the future.I have a feeling the animators were having a blast making all the faces throughout this episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom