• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sumo Digital seemingly still working on Dead Island 2

Zukkoyaki

I know many of us figured they were but the game has been quiet for long enough to raise some questions. I was poking around Sumo Digital's website and stumbled on this job listing where Dead Island 2 is specifically mentioned.

We are also incredibly proud to be working on the highly anticipated Crackdown 3 (Xbox One) and Dead Island 2 (multi-platform) plus several other exciting but yet unannounced projects.

It's been nearly three years since Dead Island 2 was announced at Sony's E3 press conference. Yager had originally been working on it but seemingly ran into some trouble as publisher Deep Silver dropped them and enlisted Sumo Digital to take over in early 2016.

The game hasn't been seen since the time it was announced and had continued to be in the dark since Sumo took over leaving some to wonder if the game is even still in development. Well, it seems that it indeed is.

Lifeline

I imagine Sumo did a full reboot and kept nothing from the Yager demo we saw. Probably because Dying Light came out doing everything better.

CryptiK

When they announced it wasnt story driven but basically an MMOFPSRPG with all the shitty quest and taking away the Massively Multiplayer part I noped out.

olB0hX5.gif

Now I might have to buy MK8.

Zukkoyaki

I imagine Sumo did a full reboot and kept nothing from the Yager demo we saw. Probably because Dying Light came out doing everything better.

My thoughts as well. To think that Techland originally pitched Dying Light to Deep Silver as their vision for Dead Island 2. Massive, massive ball drop there. It was so successful Techland was able to become a publisher :p

What was the actual problem with Yager? Wasn't Spec Ops a good game?

I don't recall any particular reason being given. Might have just been differing visions or something. Thankfully Yager seems to be doing fine as they have a big F2P game, Dreadnought, coming out soon.

kurahador

That's to be expected considering how recent the take over was. I'm thinking they'll re-announce this game next year at the earliest with 2019 release.

Spaghetti

Seems as it should.

If Sumo got licence to fully reboot Dead Island 2 from early last year, then I'm not surprised they're beavering away on it in private.

Rocketz

I figured they started over but Techland is making two games and one almost 100% is Dying Light 2. I don't think DL2 is coming out until 2018 but it's going to be real interesting if they both come out a similar times.

ChaosXVI

I guess my wishes for Sumo to get a crack at F-Zero will continue to go unanswered...I'm also surprised we aren't getting another Sonic Racing game from them, because Transformed did a lot to distance itself from being a MK clone like the first game was.

I guess my wishes for Sumo to get a crack at F-Zero will continue to go unanswered...I'm also surprised we aren't getting another Sonic Racing game from them, because Transformed did a lot to distance itself from being a MK clone like the first game was.

Sonic Racing 1 was better than Transformed.

Corpekata

Banned
What was the actual problem with Yager? Wasn't Spec Ops a good game?

Early synopsis made it seem like it was a game with out an end or real story and a lot of generated missions, which doesn't exactly play to Yager's strengths.

It got some blowback, and I imagine after Dying Light they decided they needed to refocus what they were doing.

I hope it didn't take a drastic departure from what it was initially revealed to be, though it's unlikely.

I liked the light-hearted tone. It's kind of like, "Dying Light can be the serious series and we'll be the campy fun one".

They should make it third-person and add character customization to distinguish it from Dying Light because at this point both sequels will probably launch around the same time and Deep Silver don't want that heat.

Dynomutt

Can you elaborate on this position?

Absolutely.

After parting ways with Yager many though the game was going to be cancelled.

The game was delayed to 2016.

No implying a delay means anything but...

"Right now we are focusing purely on development, and we will have more info to share at a later stage," Deep Silver said today. "We know that our fans will be disappointed by this news, but by giving Dead Island 2 more time we are confident that everyone will get a better game to play as a result."

As a fan I am certainly hoping it will be a better if not almost solid game after being delayed. Just hoping bugs, mechanics, and gameplay are well done. I want it to come out complete as oppose to this new habit of waiting for an "Apology Update 2.0". Why wait to be disappointed?

Really hoping it retains the style of the original reveal, I was very interested in the presentation, it was really colorful and they were speaking a lot about emergent gameplay.

BigEmil

Man someone get Sega and Sumo Digital to get together to work on a sequel to Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed, atleast after Crackdown 3 and Dead Island 2 is finished

Top Bottom