• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sumo: Wii U specs are surprising; "way more memory" than PS3/360

Eideka

Banned
I'm very curious to see what developpers can really achieve with the Wii U hardware, for obvious reasons rushed ports should not be considered as a reflection of what the console is capable of.

Here we go... again

You should be careful with this, this stuff is bannable now.

I disagree, Sega & Sonic looked fantastic on the 360. The framerate is excellent and the graphics crisp. Perhaps the PC just wasn't able to run it as well as the consoles?

Graphically it's nice looking on 360, but it took 2 patches before they locked down the framerate. Ultimately what made the decision for me between PS3/360 was Banjo. I assume there will be console specific guests in this one too. Have they been announced?

Javier

First impression from thread title was that a game named "Sumo WiiU" was being developed.

This is better news, though.

Hiltz

Well, it's nice to have some good news for a change, it sure has been a while. Too bad Sumo Digital's track record is bad.

Even with the Gamecube Nintendo made a huge profit. Even N64 I think made a big profit. So I don't get it either

They struggled. They likely wouldn't have profited in the last gen at 360/PS3 levels.
Remember - these two big companies made big losses. Sony especially.

Nintendo is quite happily doing their thing. Eventually the market will even out in a few years and we'll see similar systems again.

Remember too, they couldn't have known what would happen with the PS3. Sony got all the love cause they were seen as the best at marketing their brand and product. Nintendo out flanked them with the Wii - just the name shows how busy Nintendo was throughout the GC gen to get the best console out there.

In the end they profited more with the Wii and reached more customers.

If you want the gamecube again, I'd say look to the 3DS.

I'm bored of all this bloody hearsay and conjecture about the Wii U. We've been fellated by bad information for the last 18 months and to be honest I'm getting a bit bored. Any boner I had for the Wii U is rapidly wilting after this amount of overwork.

Just hurry the fuck up and announce something Nintendo.

So from what I've gathered from various developers and publishers the WiiU is going to be significantly more powerful then the PS3 while also barely being more powerful then the PS3

It's Schrödinger's console. It exists simultaneously in two different quantum states, one in which it's 2-3x as powerful as current HD consoles, and one in which it's barely on par.

Xdrive05

How long until some enterprising factory worker ganks a WiiU and sells it to a tech site for disection? Until then its all silliness.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm bored of all this bloody hearsay and conjecture about the Wii U. We've been fellated by bad information for the last 18 months and to be honest I'm getting a bit bored. Any boner I had for the Wii U is rapidly wilting after this amount of overwork.

Nintendo don't release specs right? We'll probably never really know.

Well... "way more memory" is really to be expected, isn't it, given the amount of time between the Wii U and PS360 hardware releases.

You have a way with words.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
True but it's been an 18 month long cock-tease and it's just getting boring now.

It's only really boring since it's a marginal leap from current gen. Nothing to write home about but with Nintendo art™, their games will shine.

I agree, it's boring since we know PS4/720 will be more powerful proper next gen platforms.

Hiltz

Well, this info obviously isn't new as Gearbox commented earlier about the console having more memory than 360 and PS3.

PK Gaming

Man Shinobi you're fast.

image.php

Excellent, we could use some good news.

How long until some enterprising factory worker ganks a WiiU and sells it to a tech site for disection? Until then its all silliness.

That will only tell us some of the story. About the only thing it will completely lock down is the RAM amount, since the size and number of RAM chips can simply be physically counted.

Some idea of the CPU and GPU can be gained by looking at them (size, manufacturer etc), but only programmers and others in the know will really know what they are internally.

So to answer, yes the physical console will provide some hard info, but not the complete picture. Usually the complete picture is leaked by developers working on it. Which then has to be generally accepted as truth (think Wii specs, which AFAIK are still nothing more than widely acknowledged rumor, or 3DS)

Another good corollary is Apple, who like Nintendo refuses to reveal exact specs as a matter of policy, yet we tend to know what is in the iPad anyway (though, benchmarks help with that, which obviously wont work on Wii U)

I tend to doubt even Microsoft and Sony will release specs next time. When Sony downgraded the RSX and memory clocks late in PS3 development, they simply removed all clockspeed references from official specs, while they had been open with PS3 specs prior. Microsoft was open with 360 specs, but who knows if that will continue.

I would suspect it's better for MS and Sony to operate in a veil of spec secrecy than not for multiple reasons, one of which would be hiding them from the competition. Another would be consumers drawing wrong conclusions (EG, when slower clocked CPU's are faster than faster clocked ones, so the clock speed is misleading)

I'm curious about this as well. When and how did we finally get the specs for Wii?

I recall IGN coming with them. To a huge firestorm of criticism from people who refused to believe...

Hiltz

Not always. Wii didn't exactly have "way more memory than Xbox (88MB vs 64MB) despite launching 5 years later.

Funny how people seem for forget that.If you told someone 6 1/2 years ago that Wii would not be like the Xbox 360 or PS3, they wouldn't have believed it. We only assumed that Nintendo would keep a focus on motion controls than finally embrace HD for Wii's successor. Many thought it would be a graphical beast of a machine, but that's not the case based on what we know and have seen so far. For better or for worse, Nintendo has surprised us.

I agree, it's boring since we know PS4/720 will be more powerful proper next gen platforms.

I couldn't care less about the parameters of next-gen or how powerful it will be. Personally, it'd just be nice to know how Nintendo really intends pushing the system on all fronts. Bleh, the wait. :/

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

I agree with the doctor here, even though he sounded more like Martin Crane

Funny how people seem for forget that.If you told someone 6 1/2 years ago that Wii would not be like the Xbox 360 or PS3, they wouldn't have believed it. We only assumed that Nintendo would keep a focus on motion controls than finally embrace HD for Wii's successor. Many thought it would be a graphical beast of a machine, but that's not the case based on what we know and have seen so far. For better or for worse, Nintendo has surprised us.
Memory counts can be pretty interesting between similarly classed hardware:

Xbox (2001) 64MB
PSP (2004) 32MB
Wii (2006) 88MB
3DS (2011) 128MB

360 (2005) 512MB
PS3 (2006) 512MB
Vita (2011) 670MB
WU (2012) 1.5GB to 2GB

Xdrive05

I'd like to know how beneficial those extra co-processors are (don't remember the names; the audio, I/O, etc.). If they free up, say, a CPU core that would otherewise be doing the same functions, then that's nifty.

WillyFive

I disagree, Sega & Sonic looked fantastic on the 360. The framerate is excellent and the graphics crisp. Perhaps the PC just wasn't able to run it as well as the consoles?

The graphic were wonderful, but the framerate was most definitely not excellent. It was a very choppy game on the 360.

tkscz

Wait, Shinobi made a WiiU thread, that isn't negative?

Jokes aside, we've known this for quite sometime. It's been said by Crytek, Gearbox, other Sega devs.

Hiltz

Xbox (2001) 64MB
PSP (2004) 32MB
Wii (2006) 88MB
3DS (2011) 128MB

360 (2005) 512MB
PS3 (2006) 512MB
Vita (2011) 670MB
WU (2012) 1.5GB to 2GB

Thanks for posting that. I wasn't aware of the 3DS and PSP's memory.

StuBurns

Banned

Xbox (2001) 64MB
PSP (2004) 32MB
Wii (2006) 88MB
3DS (2011) 128MB

360 (2005) 512MB
PS3 (2006) 512MB
Vita (2011) 670MB
WU (2012) 1.5GB to 2GB
The Wii having more than the Xbox surprises me. Do you know what the GC had?

Top Bottom