• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sumo: Wii U specs are surprising; "way more memory" than PS3/360

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The Wii U has way more memory, so we can take advantage of that with less compression on elements and textures, so it will look all lovely and shiny

I'd rather have higher res textures than the same res with less compression. I don't remember the last time I played a PS3 game and thought the compression artefacts in the textures were annoying

Sid

yeah, it doesn't make it less stupid though. next year's incoming news "ps4/720 got more memory than wiiU".
Nah,i think then ms and sony will unveil the specs of nextbox and ps4 respectively at their e3 or pre-e3 pressers like always

On-topic-Does anyone know the number of tracks in the game?

-KRS-

Memory counts can be pretty interesting between similarly classed hardware:

Xbox (2001) 64MB
PSP (2004) 32MB
Wii (2006) 88MB
3DS (2011) 128MB

360 (2005) 512MB
PS3 (2006) 512MB
Vita (2011) 670MB
WU (2012) 1.5GB to 2GB

Damn the vita really packs a ton of memory. I'm surprised. I mean I knew it was good hardware but that's quite a lot of RAM there.
How fast is it compared to the RAM in the 3DS?

Liamario

Banned
"the WiiU has way more memory"
OP has put that sentence in the context of existing HD consoles. I think Sumo was comparing it to the Wii!

Raistlin

Why are they surprised that a late 2012 console has more memory and a more modern/powerful GPU than 2005 consoles?

StuBurns

Banned
Is this even thread worthy? Soon to be launched console is more powerful than consoles that are 6 and 7 years old. Gotcha.
There probably should be a persistent thread about performance rumours, but yes, it's thread worthy. The Wii never produced graphics that out performed the Xbox as far as I could tell, the WiiU doesn't appear to be inline with the performance gap with the last Nintendo system, and that's worth knowing.

Liamario

Banned
Almost certainly not.

Honestly, I read it that way. Especially when you compare it to everything else that was said

Eg: 'The Wii U looks as good as any of the HD platforms'

That to me seems like a strange thing to say for a console with way more memory than PS360...

StuBurns

Banned
Honestly, I read it that way.
I believe you did, it's not well written. The sentence before speciifcally compares the GPU to the HD twins chipsets, so it's a continued comparison to them. It also says it will result in crisper textures, that must be within the context of the specific game, and that game isn't on Wii.

Thats all very well and good, but if Sony and Microsoft launch within a year/year and a half of the Wii U it'll be the drastically underpowered console again.

Launch titles won't take advantage of the extra power fully (no launch title ever does) so we'll be expecting the second round of games to be standout better on the Wii U. By that time Sony and Microsoft will likely have started the 'Our new consoles are fucking awesome' PR drivel etc.

Interesting times ahead. It'll be interesting to see if developers favour the Nextbox/PS4 co development and then scale down for the Wii U.

Pineconn

Thats all very well and good, but if Sony and Microsoft launch within a year/year and a half of the Wii U it'll be the drastically underpowered console again.

We'll see.

Without a doubt the Wii U will be the weakest of the three, but the difference almost certainly will be smaller. The general (BS) multiplier is that the Xbox 360 = 20 x Wii, and sources indicate that the Xbox480 likely will be between 2 to 6 times as "powerful" as the Wii U. Heck, maybe a large chunk of the next Xbox's RAM will be dedicated to the beefy OS.

(Disclaimer: pretty much all of these numbers are subjective. Made 'em up on the spot.)

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Very fast ram compared to 2005?

How would I know? the Wii U isn't out yet, nor are its specs. I was speaking on their track record (gamecube/wii). Where you just making negative assumptions about a company without knowing any prior or current information, or where you just saying 'herp derp nintendo lol'?

hodgy100

Mine has 2GB. Boo yah!

Which MAY not be more than the Wii U! What kind of bizzare world is this were consoles have just as much memory as phones!

Your phone may have more RAM, but it is also much MUCH slower than the RAM in the PS3 and 360, fast ram is much more important than lots and lots of ram :)

Liamario

Banned
I think this is ban bait. You're doing it on purpose. I can tell. I won't fall for it though

It's not ban bait. The article to me is ambiguous. Now, if you take offence to the implications of my post due to some misplaced loyalty to a company- I can't be held responsible.

I expressed a genuine opinion and I backed it up.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Dev-Gaf?!? Oh well, stop the presses then. We have confirmations people.

So you don't trust confirmed developers who comment on this forum, yet you're posting (and I'm assuming trusting) in a thread for a developer who made a comment to a journalist about the large amount of RAM when compared to the HD twins?

JaxJag

Banned
There's no need when Iwata has stated plenty of times in the past year that their online infrastructure will get a total re-haul with the Wii U.

President's of large corporation's say a lot.

You probably shouldn't be so trusting of them, and go off what a company's past trends are.

They were surprised the Wii U's GPU (Wii Pee U) could match the shading capabilities of the current generation HD consoles and has more RAM? What were their expectations? A toaster with a screen?

The Wii having more than the Xbox surprises me. Do you know what the GC had?
Wii having more memory than the Xbox isn't surprising at all, even if you haven't looked at the specs.

As for the GC:

24MB 1T-SRAM
16MB DRAM (extremely slow, only for some uses)
3MB embedded 1T-SRAM (2megs for framebuffer, 1meg for texture cache)

Top Bottom