• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunday morning. Your parents make coffee. You look at the newspaper.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
tumblr_pj1wcoVdLX1s3uawvo2_500.jpg

You will never have this feeling of discovery again. Its 2019. That time is over. You're getting older and losing hair. The dreams you used to have are but a distant memory as you have gradually resigned yourself to a life of dull work and an overall unambitious life. Your family will pass away. Your friends will drift away. The cartridges and compact discs that housed these wondrous adventures will rot as they crash against the waves of time. They will be relegated to digital preservation. Future generations will play them as a passing novelty at best. These games of video and the moments of joy they gave you were fleeting stars in a dark universe.

Quasicat

I had a Toys R Us ad of the SNES launch games sitting in my room when I was in the 7th grade. Mom and Dad made a deal with the kids that if we got straight As for the semester we could get anything up to $500. I remember working my tail off and looking at that ad every night for three months! I can still remember coming home in late November with my report card being so excited and then going to the closest KMart to get it with Pilotwings, SimCity, and FZero. That ad meant more to me than anything as it was the first time I ever really achieved a goal.

Last edited:

hunthunt

Banned
I still remember vividly my first experience with the NES back in 1992 I think, I was a little bit lttp back then but it was a perfect timing for a 7 years old myself. I just could not believe how fantastically perfect was Super Mario Bros 3, I played that one for hours during days with my sisters. I think we went to the shopping a couple of months later and we got TMNT 2 which was a fantastic coop game too.

Last edited:

Doom85

I just had a kickass meal and am playing Fire Emblem: Three Houses and the following week is my vacation and I'm going to marathon some anime (Promised Neverland, Cannon Busters, and Land of the Lustrous are what I'm currently thinking, might add a few more) and play more Fire Emblem as well as Overwatch and Dead by Daylight, yep I'm in a good ass mood right now. So shit like this isn't going to get me down, but still respectable attempt, OP.

down 2 orth

Life is what you make it OP. Games are just as fun or more fun to me than they were twenty or thirty years ago. If I was stuck back in time and had to play games with those shitty graphics, I would give up and get a new hobby.

And death is only scary if you subscribe to the atheist religion that governments and media around the world are trying to indoctrinate us with. Expand your mind, and you'll find there's a lot less to fear.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Funny thread but brutal in a way. Everyone grows up.

I remember pouring over these newspaper ads for ToysRUs and later Best Buy, just dreaming about getting some of those games. I also remember I wanted to work for EGM so badly. I became a lawyer instead. :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Bolivar687

Banned
That feeling when they asked if you wanted to preorder a game because of the reality that you might not get it at launch if you don't. The remaining time in the store looking at the box or jewel case, teasing the unknown wonders you were about to explore. Frantically tearing off the plastic in the car ride home, gleaning whatever details you can about the immanent adventure.

Reactions: Isa

real1

yea i used to read gaming magazines and make lists of all the games i wanted. rip
edit: and now, hypothetically, i can have all of that with a few clicks of a mouse. crazy

Last edited:

I remember pouring over these newspaper ads for ToysRUs and later Best Buy, just dreaming about getting some of those games. I also remember I wanted to work for EGM so badly. I became a lawyer instead. :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:
Will you be representing EviLore EviLore in the upcoming case AintItCool v NeoGAF ?

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Yeah.. I used to enjoy reading the news in the morning at the table. But then, the company stopped printing the paper, and with it my habit. I stayed with it right to the end. I used to love turning the pages of the magazines and stuff. Good times..

Last edited:

Otterz4Life

I always anxiously awaited the Sunday Best Buy ad. I’d flip through it after my dad was done with it. He put the paper beside the recliner.

That dark brown, high pile carpet and wood paneled walls. Takes me back 😌

Reactions: TLZ

UltimaKilo

Gold Member

Except we didn’t all grow up to be a loser like the OP states! 🤣

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I had a Toys R Us ad of the SNES launch games sitting in my room when I was in the 7th grade. Mom and Dad made a deal with the kids that if we got straight As for the semester we could get anything up to $500. I remember working my tail off and looking at that ad every night for three months! I can still remember coming home in late November with my report card being so excited and then going to the closest KMart to get it with Pilotwings, SimCity, and FZero. That ad meant more to me than anything as it was the first time I ever really achieved a goal.

Thats a great story, that must have felt amazing.

We actually had a similar thing. My mom would make us study and do book reports and stuff over teh summers. And as we did "homework" we would get these tickets which represted some monetary value. I did all my work and saved up enough to get the SNES near launch. What a memory.

HeresJohnny

This is an uplifting thread.

EDIT: I mean, I get it. We all look back wistfully on things important to us and that first touch of newness and discovery. But to me, I look at it like fucking. The first time was new, but it damn sure wasn't the best. And I don't like it any less now than I did ten years ago, and I do it better than these young punks any way. Gaming is the same way. We older gamers have a broader sense of perspective that is missing from the new generation. What they have maybe read about, we experienced firsthand. We were there for the crash and fucking Bushnell and Baer and Jarvis and Miyamoto and Kojima and the list could go on and on. We were there when Zelda came on a gold fucking cartridge. We were there before storage was even a thing. We were there when Robotron was still an arcade game and you could smoke in an arcade.

And we're still here now, still playing. Life is good.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Love these stories, and love that feeling. I want to do the same for my kids :)

Neff

Fuck you, OP, I'm not losing my hair.

I'm 44 and I've still got all mine so it's probably not going anywhere, thankfully.

Also I spend a lot of my time playing old ass games anyway, such is the doggedly insistent, mid-life crisis-inspired time capsule that is my life.

Well partly that and partly because there just aren't enough good games released these days to sustain my free time.

• LOL

Hudo

Man, I remember asking my Mom to buy Tiberian Sun for me. I was away on a school trip and when I came back, a fresh, big box copy of Tiberian Sun was lying on my bed for me. I was never so happy before and afterwards in my life. Installed that fucker right then and there and played it through the whole night. When I had to take a dump, I took the manual with me, reading about the backstory and unit descriptions...

Catphish

You will never have this feeling of discovery again. Its 2019. That time is over. You're getting older and losing hair. The dreams you used to have are but a distant memory as you have gradually resigned yourself to a life of dull work and an overall unambitious life. Your family will pass away. Your friends will drift away. The cartridges and compact discs that housed these wondrous adventures will rot as they crash against the waves of time. They will be relegated to digital preservation. Future generations will play them as a passing novelty at best. These games of video and the moments of joy they gave you were fleeting stars in a dark universe.
Ain't that the fucking truth.

😭

Stimpak

Touching, albeit a weak nihilistic argument.

Burn off the deadwood, so the new tree within you can spring forth.

If you try to cling to the old, the next wildfire may kill you.

Be proud you experienced these memories you’re writing about, instead of despairing they may never happen again.

Also, I still have all my hair, but my poor sons are probably gonna go bald in their 20s :messenger_face_screaming:

lock2k

Banned

Other than the losing hair part (thank god or satan I have a lot of hair) I can relate.

I hate being an adult. Having my daughter helped me rediscover some of the joys of childhood again though.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Other than the losing hair part (thank god or satan I have a lot of hair) I can relate.

I hate being an adult. Having my daughter helped me rediscover some of the joys of childhood again though.

True nirvana is childhood. That is why monks spend their entire lives to attain that mindset you had as a child, to fully live in the moment with no worry for the past or future.

joe_zazen

Except we didn’t all grow up to be a loser like the OP states! 🤣

No, but disintegration, loss, and death are fundamental truths. In the end, we are all alone and destined to suffer and die. You can see this in everything, including newborns. The cult of positivity wants to ignore this, which just makes it worse.

True nirvana is childhood. That is why monks spend their entire lives to attain that mindset you had as a child, to fully live in the moment with no worry for the past or future.

Hmm. I am no monk nor do i profess to know what nirvana is. But from what i have read, and heard (never experienced) it is about being able to apprehend reality free from delusion and escape the cycle of death and rebirth we are trapped in.

Fully living in the moment is more of a Western psychotherapeutic appropriation of meditative techniques, usually done to sell books written by people who have bank accounts and have no use for religion.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

Conan-san

Sir, this is a Wendys.

I have that Pikachu thing, I still love it nowadays haha
Had lot of fun as a kid, what a badass tamagotchi like thing it was

Also, Tomb Raider and MGS ❤

More toward OP's thread, I'll never forget the feeling I always had when, in Christmas period as a kid, I used to read any toy store depliant

Any kind of videogame, console and tons of marvelous stuff vg related
Thinking about all this, I can still feel the smell, the atmosphere, and everything, and this give me goosebumps

Also, not a collectionist, but I actually collect any console or game and never sold anything, one of my projects is to pass all this to my niece when in its teens ( she's still a kiddo, too early) and to any eventual kid I could have

Only digital is comfort under some aspects, but will never beat us old school, nostalgic bastards lol

Last edited:

bucyou

you can still try to recreate the nostalgic feelings of youth.

when xbox one came out I bought it and have my wife wrap it for christmas

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
No, but disintegration, loss, and death are fundamental truths. In the end, we are all alone and destined to suffer and die. You can see this in everything, including newborns. The cult of positivity wants to ignore this, which just makes it worse.

Hmm. I am no monk nor do i profess to know what nirvana is. But from what i have read, and heard (never experienced) it is about being able to apprehend reality free from delusion and escape the cycle of death and rebirth we are trapped in.

Fully living in the moment is more of a Western psychotherapeutic appropriation of meditative techniques, usually done to sell books written by people who have bank accounts and have no use for religion.

I don’t want to get too into philosophy, but crediting the great Stoics: you can’t lose anything you don’t own! So maybe you’re destined to suffer, but I certainly don’t. Also, there’s nothing bad about dying, you should go through life learning how to die well.

Top Bottom