• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive Coming To PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't think SO is coming to PC. Dead Rising and Ryse were different situations.

I just explained why I think the situations are similar (all XBO exclusives, not developed by MS internal studios, and IP not owned by MS). Care to explain how they are different, rather than just stating it as a fact?

Ah, good old meaningless and overused phrase.

Persecution complex:

"An irrational and obsessive feeling or fear that one is the object of collective hostility or ill-treatment on the part of others."

I'd say that term fits rather well with the belief that all of a large and diverse forum would be out to get the XBO and its games. Ultimatum, in this case, is so inclined to see the enemy lurking in every shadow, that he even mistakes Miles, a well-known supporter of this game, for one of Them, the horrible monolithic entity that is Sony GAF, out to troll every Xbox exclusive, intent on downplaying all the monthly OS updates and, through the use of FUD, delaying the glorious Steam-like digital future.

Insomniac has never made a PC game

So? Before SO, they had never made an Xbox (possibly timed) exclusive. Didn't stop them.

maneil99

I just explained why I think the situations are similar (all XBO exclusives, not developed by MS internal studios, and IP not owned by MS). Care to explain how they are different, rather than just stating it as a fact?

Persecution complex:

"An irrational and obsessive feeling or fear that one is the object of collective hostility or ill-treatment on the part of others."

I'd say that term fits rather well with the belief that all of a large and diverse forum would be out to get the XBO and its games. Ultimatum, in this case, is so inclined to see the enemy lurking in every shadow, that he even mistakes Miles, a well-known supporter of this game, for one of Them, the horrible monolithic entity that is Sony GAF, out to troll every Xbox exclusive, intent on on downplaying all the wonderful OS updates and, through the use of FUD, delaying the glorious Steam-like digital future.

That's not sound logic. So because X hasn't happened, then that means X never will? So because they worked for 15 years only on PS does that mean they would never work on anything else.... clearly they're not afraid to branch out.

SgtCobra

I'm a little confused by this quote.. Was this meant to be sarcastic? Shouldn't the GAF collective get upset when threads are constantly "derailed or ruined"? Giving an opinion is one thing but isn't derailing or ruining a thread considered bad here? Just curious about the statement here it seemed a little contradictory of itself.
Yeah of course it's bad, some people just want, no need their opinion to be heard on every thread they can post in and that tends to derail it. But I don't know what others can do about that, really. I guess it's up to the mods? Although it's a touchy subject as we are talking about freedom of speech and stuff like that. I just don't think it's fair to throw the good ol' "GAF hates the Xbox One" posts as a counterattack or comment against them because that sounds a bit pathetic imo.

Qassim

Insomniac isn't on the verge of bankruptcy like Crytek or making a sequel to an established franchise that has previously existed on PC.

Ryse and DR3 had one thing in common that was likely pretty key to the decision to bring it to PC that could also apply to SO.

Does our agreement allow us to release on the PC?

If yes: Is it feasible and worthwhile to do so?

If yes: Higher return on the overall project!

Higher return on their investments would have been the driving force behind the decision to bring it to PC. If their agreement with Microsoft permits them to release it on PC, then I suspect at the very least it will be a consideration to release it on PC.

Grief.exe

oh yes, not a year. 11 months after a very controversial launch. and thats for studios that usually release pc games too.

may I ask just how soon you expect it on pc?

You said anyone who thought the game would appear less than a full year is crazy, I presented evidence to the contrary.

I find discussing potential release dates of a non-existent game to be arbitrary at best.

Ryse and DR3 had one thing in common that was likely pretty key to the decision to bring it to PC that could also apply to SO.

Does our agreement allow us to release on the PC?

If yes: Is it feasible and worthwhile to do so?

If yes: Higher return on the overall project!

Higher return on their investments would have been the driving force behind the decision to bring it to PC. If their agreement with Microsoft permits them to release it on PC, then I suspect at the very least it will be a consideration to release it on PC.

Not to mention driving demand for a potential sequel.

p3tran

Banned
You said anyone who thought the game would appear less than a full year is crazy, I presented evidence to the contrary.

I find discussing potential release dates of a non-existent game to be arbitrary at best.

yes, and I meant those two games as you understood if you read my post.
so, its not one year and its eleven months.
are you expecting sunset overdrive SOONER than those two?

this what I'm asking, dont dodge the Q

so, are you that crazy person that expects sunset overdrive to come to pc sooner than ryse did? yeah or nope?

Insomniac isn't on the verge of bankruptcy like Crytek or making a sequel to an established franchise that has previously existed on PC.
Exactly. Crytek was in (still is?) financial ruin. Dead Rising has been on PC before and Capcom in general is a multi-platform developer. They're different situations. I doubt SO makes it over.

Oh, this is Heavy. Changed your avatar.
What's this supposed to mean? My post wasn't antagonistic in any way and you reply with random snark as if you got offended.

Yeah of course it's bad, some people just want, no need their opinion to be heard on every thread they can post in and that tends to derail it. But I don't know what others can do about that, really. I guess it's up to the mods? Although it's a touchy subject as we are talking about freedom of speech and stuff like that. I just don't think it's fair to throw the good ol' "GAF hates the Xbox One" posts as a counterattack or comment against them because that sounds a bit pathetic imo.

Freedom of speech does not apply here. Rules of the Forum dictate acceptable behavior, hence the use of mods to ensure that the terms are abided by. Sorry to derail, I just didn't quite understand what you were trying to say.

I would very much like this and MCC on PC, but I'm not banking on either being released. Then again I also wouldn't bet on either staying exclusive! lol.

Most importantly, I hope the game is good even if I don't have the opportunity to play it for several years.

elfinke

OMG is this young jared padalecki ?

tumblr_li33c6aWqE1qi409go1_500.gif

Really comes down to whatever deal Insomniac has with Microsoft. A contract like Gears of War where MS, while not owning the IP, seemed to have an impact on the platforms it released on means I would doubt a PC release would happen for Sunset. Something like Rise or Dead Rising on the other hand where the IP owner can do what they want on non-Sony platforms after a set amount of time? Yeah there will be a PC port; no doubt about it.

Grief.exe

Really comes down to whatever deal Insomniac has with Microsoft. A contract like Gears of War where MS, while not owning the IP, seemed to have an impact on the platforms it released on means I would doubt a PC release would happen for Sunset. Something like Rise or Dead Rising on the other hand where the IP owner can do what they want on non-Sony platforms after a set amount of time? Yeah there will be a PC port; no doubt about it.

Gears of War 1 was on PC, the reason cited for subsequent games not coming to the platform was 'piracy.'

Of course the first gears, and Halo 2, were attached to the terrible GFWL platform. On top of being one of the worst DRM schemes of all time, also required PC players to pay for online multiplayer. Needless to say, GFWL failed.

I think this game would come to PC if it didnt sell according to planed (such as Ryse or Dead Rising 3).

Phil Spencer said he was pleased with Ryse sales iirc (or something to that effect) - enough for them to want a sequel according to rumour anyway and DR3 hit the sales projections Capcom had too, I believe.

I suspect that MS/Crytek relationship ending and DR3 was always part of the plan for PC. There was only so much launch titles are going to sell before they get lost in the subsequent waves of games and don't sell much more.

Phil Spencer said he was pleased with Ryse sales iirc (or something to that effect) - enough for them to want a sequel according to rumour anyway and DR3 hit the sales projections Capcom had too, I believe.

I suspect that MS/Crytek relationship ending and DR3 was always part of the plan for PC. There was only so much launch titles are going to sell before they get lost in the subsequent waves of games and don't sell much more.

Phil Spencer might be, but Crytek wasnt (http://www.gamespot.com/articles/crytek-we-are-not-100-happy-with-xbox-one-sales/1100-6421586/), and I think this could be an oportunity for Insomniac to make a jump to PC platform. I also think if the game scores above 90 (doubt it though), Microsoft would probably try to per$uade Insomniac into keeping it exclusive.

Yeah, I'd imagine MS had first rights of refusal on the sequel, but with the disagreements on the IP rights, they dropped it. The PC version of Ryse is interesting. When the game was first announced for the 360 as a Kinect title, I doubt there were any plans to bring it to PC. Maybe they negotiated for one to come out a year later, as long as Microsoft didn't have to fund the port? Microsoft put out the legendary edition of Ryse on Xbox One not too long ago, so that would indicate that they still have the publishing rights. Seems Crytek and Microsoft's relationship may have ended on a sour note.

I also think if the game scores above 90 (doubt it though), Microsoft would probably try to per$uade Insomniac into keeping it exclusive.
$igh.

Are we supposed to believe the guy in charge of the ad screwed up and wrote "PC" there by mistake ? That he invented that info, that he pulled a platform out of his ass for the fun of it... That he assumed something and posted it without any confirmation ? We're not talking about Amazon or a random retailer pulling fake release dates and covers for pre-order purposes, we're talking about official publicity for the game revealing the existence of a PC version when it was not formally announced.

To me it's clearly one of those cases where the publisher and Dev know a PC version is in development, but they do not announce it to the general public because they want a timed exclusivity for Xbox One to appear as a true exclusive. Xbox One needs it's exclusive, and announcing it on PC would be a bad marketing move, as many PC fans or PS4 fans with decent gaming PCs would simply wait for the PC version instead of buying the Xbone version, killing any "killer app" vibe this title could be getting.

Yet obviously the marketing team in charge of the website ad knows it's coming, and thus they make this ad saying it's coming, without realizing the PC version has not been formally announced yet... I'm guessing there was a screw-up, that they got internal memos about the game being on PC and they did not realize it was a secret.

This then sends Microsoft and Insomniac into full PR damage control mode, where they start pretending it's a mistake and that no PC version is in development. Since nobody can prove if it was a mistake or not, they hope people will disregard the info, alas, I find it hard to believe it could be a typo / website template.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
I just checked the last page and found a bunch of console war garbage, OP feel free to repost if there's any news or updates related to the thread title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom