• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive EDGE info blowout, with more coming tomorrow

Dinjooh

i6fy1nN6g06Ms.png

ibl9ssqVPYIdCu.png

Edge 267: Cover Story

i1rYQJd49EqyT.png

Jezehbell said:
  • According to Insomniac they’ve finally begun to understand what they love the most, and that reflects in the tone of the game.
  • Sunset Overdrive mixes platforming and shooting, and places equal weight on both skills. Insomniac has never made guns this powerful. You can take out five enemies with one shot. The guns in the game play completely different from each other.
  • You’ll have to accumulate “style” before you fight some of the harder bosses. Some bosses won’t even notice you’re shooting at them if you’re at style level one or two.
  • Players are rewarded for playing fast and hard and not stopping. If you stop your style meter drops: “getting in there, mixing it up and mantaining that velocity is your aim.”
  • The island’s boss is a Fizzco balloon named Fizzle. The fight is “On rails,” but not in the way we usually think. The rails are coils wrapped around the tower you can grind on. Fizzle’s weak spots are spring-loaded drums above the city’s rooftops, and you’ll have to leap back and forth between them and the rails while avoiding fire and without ever stopping.
  • The player can ride the city’s telephone cables from above or below, changing with a tap of X to avoid low bridges or enemy fire.
  • Little Tokyo’s Japanese-inspired architecture involves lots of short wall runs and oddly angled buildings.
  • The world transforms at night, and so does the way the game plays. Sunset Overdrive promises to offer new ways to to deal with the night both alone and with friends.
  • In the last generation players have been trained to seek cover and wait combat out. Sunset Overdrive asks players “to think differently, use a different toolset and push forward.” Players are rewarded for jumping over the cover and take the initiative.
  • Attack is the new defense and wall running is the new cover.
  • Microsoft told Insomniac “We want Insomniac to be Insomniac” and allowed the developer to own the intellectual property, which is very important for the developer.
  • They’re trying to make a really great arcade game that is really fun to play regardless of how long you play.
  • Xbox One owners will be involved with the decisions that will shape the game post-release.
  • The developer is looking at Sunset Overdrive as the first of a series and want to build it into something bigger, “a real franchise.”
  • Everything was born from a lunch conversation a few years ago. It was never meant to be a real game at that time, but in the end they made it.

JStevenson said:
Main character is fully voiced, both male and female. Nameless though, as it's you!

Full customized, you can use any clothing item on any character - regardless of male/female or body type.

iz0XtMxMUKmPS.png

GameInformer (With gameplay footage!)

IGN

Xbox Wire

Polygon

iR7tEnG2CGdJa.png

Coming Thursday morning US time

iGzoLmj0EI1Fh.png

Coming (very) Soon!

i5dd2lgIhrS0u.png

Coming (very) Soon!

Overcharge Delirium XT Launch site and @FizzieSays
http://www.overchargedrink.com/#!/launch-party

Check out Fizzco's launch site for Overcharge Delirium XT to get a first look at the world of Sunset Overdrive.

Then go interact with Fizzco Corporate Mascot Fizzie on twitter at http://www.twitter.com/FizzieSays.

daman824

So with the whole traversal think. Is there going to be enough stuff to grind on where you never have to touch the ground and can still make it across a large portion of the map?

Something seems off with the timing, I always get my subscriber copy the Saturday before it's in the shops, but it hasn't arrived yet. Do we know for sure the issue is released in UK shops today?

viveks86

Came in here for the info blowout before I crash. Got:

Soon

Soon

Soon

Very Soon

Very Soon Modafuckaaaa!

:/

See you on the other side!

1 - GIANT LASER EYED FIZZIE. Shit yes!

2 - Insomniac says: "We've really begun to understand what we love the most. I think that's reflected in the tone of Sunset Overdrive"

3 - Graphics look BEAUTIFUL - very colourful and vibrant... even more so than PVZ.

4 - City is giving me a crackdown X Jet set radio vibe

5 - (edit) I hereby name this game Sunset Wowverdrive

EDIT 3: Some quotes, courtesy of u/dodmaster

"Sunset Overdrive mixes platforming and shooting throughout, and places equal weight on both skills"

"We wanted to take the shooter genre away from cowering behind cover. You'll be rewarded for jumping over that cover and taking the fight to the enemy"

And its this that makes Sunset Overdrive feel new. If a trend is emerging at all from the new console generation, it's that wall running is the new cover, and attack is the new defence. We've spent the best part of a decade lurking behind bullet-chipped masonry. For Insomniac, it's time to come out into the sun.

Sounds glorious.

Perhaps its because Bioshock Infinite had such an impact on me (like on a level that I cannot explain) but I'm really getting a heavy Bioshock had a baby with JSRF from what I've seen and read so far.

Sunset Overdrive mixes platforming and shooting throughout, and places equal weight on both skills

The hero can ride the city's spiderweb of telephone cables, from above or below, with a quick tap of X.

"We wanted to take the shooter genre away from cowering behind cover. You'll be rewarded for jumping over that cover and taking the fight to the enemy"

And its this that makes Sunset Overdrive feel new. If a trend is emerging at all from the new console generation, it's that wall running is the new cover, and attack is the new defence. We've spent the best part of a decade lurking behind bullet-chipped masonry. For Insomniac, it's time to come out into the sun.

"In the early days, we were actually talking about the book version of 'I Am Legend'. He has free reign of the city, but at night has to hunker down and defend."

The world transforms at night, along with the way the game plays. The 'zombies are more dangerous at night' gimmick is old, but Sunset Overdrive promises to offer new ways to deal with the after-hours onslaught, whether alone or playing with friends.

Lawd!!!

Lovely, can't wait to read the full article. And then the gameplay reveal in less than a week.

89HANHg.gif

By the way, I've been playing Naruto: Rise of a Ninja for the past few days, and Sunset Overdrive's sun-drenched city gives me some of the same vibes. It's a surprisingly fun game, gorgeously colorful, and zipping along all the wires feels fantastic. I wholeheartedly recommend it if you need your platforming fix now.

241481_985btkb2.jpg

Lovely, can't wait to read the full article. And then the gameplay reveal in less than a week.

89HANHg.gif

By the way, I've been playing Naruto: Rise of a Ninja for the past few days, and Sunset Overdrive's sun-drenched city gives me some of the same vibes. It's a surprisingly fun game, gorgeously colorful, and zipping along all the wires feels fantastic. I wholeheartedly recommend it if you need your platforming fix now.

241481_985btkb2.jpg

My man, I love that game also. Enjoyed the hell out of Rise of a Ninja.

Ploid 3.0

Also from the screens, the graphics look awesome. Insomniac are great with graphics and pushing hardware. Xbox One should be a ton easier than PS3 and they were among the first devs making the PS3 sing. Resistance 1 was impressive for it's time, especially different things like 40ish player MP and dat glass.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Jstevenson PM me the deets on the Insomniac corporate Visa...direct flights from YVR to Heathrow are expensive

Top Bottom