• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive EDGE info blowout, with more coming tomorrow

Silky

Banned
that's actually a vanity amp. there's various ones you can get that have different effects and such and are another way of expressing yourself. they only activate at certain style levels.

getting the speed of traversal right is tricky, because you want to go places, but you also need to be able to shoot stuff while traversing too

Ahhh, interesting. So the platforming isn't boiled down to 'press A to win', then?

One more thing; Competitive MP? As in, TDM/CTF/DM with an overdrive flair? :eek:

Caayn

get

inFamous says "What's up". Does the guy really need a denim vest too?

I'm sure it will be a fun game but it still bugs me a bit. Kinda like Smash Bros. and PlayStation All Stars.
The character is fully customizable, there is no "main character".

LNBL

get

I'm sure it will be a fun game but it still bugs me a bit. Kinda like Smash Bros. and PlayStation All Stars.

There is character customization in the game, this is just 1 of the options.

JLck

that's actually a vanity amp. there's various ones you can get that have different effects and such and are another way of expressing yourself. they only activate at certain style levels.

getting the speed of traversal right is tricky, because you want to go places, but you also need to be able to shoot stuff while traversing too

I wondered if maybe there was a button to hold to make you go faster which would result in no shooting, shorter jump range and perhaps be slower to jumping?

Kind of like in Tony Hawks or a snowboarding game where you hold a/x to duck and be more streamlined.

I guess not?

Finally......This is XB's answer to infamous. The Gifs look awesome. I did not hype this game one bit, until I saw some actually gameplay. It reminds me of Jet set/infamous/tony hawk/ with a dash of ratchet for nostalgia sake. Looks very promising. Now If the arsenal is anything like Ratchet/resistance than I'm sold. E3 needs to hurry up!

reKon

Banned
This. This sounds like why you buy an Xbox One.

Eh, I wouldn't say that for me personally. Obviously I need more information here to confirm, but I would say that if Bungie stayed partners with Microsoft exclusively and launched Destiny as an exclusive that to me would be legitimate system seller and a must buy game.

Finally......This is XB's answer to infamous. The Gifs look awesome. I did not hype this game one bit, until I saw some actually gameplay. It reminds me of Jet set/infamous/tony hawk/ with a dash of ratchet for nostalgia sake. Looks very promising. Now If the arsenal is anything like Ratchet/resistance than I'm sold. E3 needs to hurry up!

Crackdown was pre-Infamous... I think its more like that than Infamous.

Sydle

SMH at the inFamous comparisons. Is it just because it's open world?

It looks more like Crackdown, Jet Set Radio, and Ratchet & Clank all hooked up and made a baby.

Allforce

Can we stop comparing it to InFamous. I know it's still fresh in are brains, but we need to stop.

Lol, why?

Someone asks what this game is, it's easiest to say "looks great, like a more light-hearted Infamous" because people will understand that quickly. It's perfect.

dcx4610

So the denim vest makes this an Infamous ripoff?

The denim, the chain, the comet drop, the grinding, the layout, the over the shoulder shooting. If not for the graphic style, it's basically inFamous. Not a bad thing and it looks fun but I wish it wasn't so close in style.

Dead

well not really...yet
Can we stop comparing it to InFamous. I know it's still fresh in are brains, but we need to stop.
Why? I dont see how anyone can see the footage and not think of Infamous, particularly 2. Only difference is that its more colorful and somehow less fast paced, which is a bit odd.

KissVibes

Banned
get

Booker Dewitt also rode rails and wore a vest. He had powers too.

Fuckin' InFamous: Second Son ripping off Bioshock Infinite.

cornerman

Way to go Insomniac. Looks great. I've followed the mainstays on Playstation (Ratchet and Resistance) and I've got to say this looks like a great game. I'm on the other side of the fence with PS4, but I'm sure I'll find a way to get my hands on this game. Way to go.

JStevenson, bet its nice to finally be able to talk about this more.

Dabanton

The denim, the chain, the comet drop, the grinding, the layout, the over the shoulder shooting. If not for the graphic style, it's basically inFamous. Not a bad thing and it looks fun but I wish it wasn't so close in style.

Have you actually read the EDGE article?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

I dunno, we had grinding in Ratchet games, we had a wrench slam in Ratchet games. I don't feel like anyone can say we ripped those off from anyone else when we've been using them for a decade plus.

The denim is a denim jacket but you can wear whatever you want.

I know we didn't show the hero using a chain (I'm not even sure we have a chain melee weapon).

And honestly, the over the shoulder shooting is the LAST thing you should do while playing the game (and when did over the shoulder shooting in a third person shooter become any sort of "ripoff"?). We keep debating about taking it out (or locking it at the beginning so players don't try to use it all the time.

we're very different than infamous.

Yeah, I think we've run "It looks like *game* with *stuff not in said game*" into the fucking ground today. Boiling a game down to "Its basically, pretty much, *game*" can die in a fire as well. I vow to never use those phrases ever again.

Jito

Banned
I dunno, we had grinding in Ratchet games, we had a wrench slam in Ratchet games. I don't feel like anyone can say we ripped those off from anyone else when we've been using them for a decade plus.

I know we didn't show the hero using a chain (I'm not even sure we have a chain melee weapon).

And honestly, the over the shoulder shooting is the LAST thing you should do while playing the game (and when did over the shoulder shooting in a third person shooter become any sort of "ripoff"?). We keep debating about taking it out (or locking it at the beginning so players don't try to use it all the time.

Taking told to new levels.

Allforce

Nobody is claiming you ripped it off, just a simple observation and an easy and concise way to describe the game to a potential customer. Infamous is great, you should be proud to be compared.

GameStop employees across the globe are going to be trying to sell pre-orders of this game on the premise of "If you liked Infamous, try this".

shwimpy

Gameplay does look very infamous-y... which is not a bad thing. I'm hoping for a good variety when it comes to combat though.

nelchaar

It's like Dead Rising meets Infamous meets some beautiful Cell-shading like artstyle! Ugh, I need this in my veins. It's a shame I don't have an XB1.

p3tran

Banned

yeap, infamous carbon copy right here

SunsetOverdrive_herker.jpg

Sunset_Overdrive_Herker_2.jpg

:D

well, at least they removed the beanie to save themselves from some more carbon-copy lawsuits :D

guys...get.serious.

Top Bottom