• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive needs a sequel

Dibils2k

this was one of my fav. games

i wish it would have gotten a upgrade patch at some point (when One X came out), cant happen now ofcourse

Kydd BlaZe

Could you imagine Sunset Overdrive with the visual polish that Rift Apart has? My goodness. The vibrant visuals with that level of detail would be insane. We’ll probably never see a sequel on PS5, but Insomniac owns the IP, not Microsoft…so there’s some hope lol.

levyjl1988

Banned
The game was amazing, things that annoyed me were:

-No option to do New Game +.
-Missions were sorted by Alphabetical order and not by Story order.
-You couldn't change your character's eyebrows to match the hair colour, it felt off to put any other colour besides the one your hair colour is on.
-DLC in the marketplace such as preorder bonuses were not purchasable.

Other than that it was a strong IP.
Poor marketing as they focused on the protagonist. I thought my only option was to play as that hipster guy indicated by the trailer.
Until I found out that there was character creation that I truly began to enjoy the game.

jigglet

Banned
I never played it but I agree.

I need to get off my ass and play #1. It looks stunning. It's on PC too, is it a good port? Can I use my mouse to aim?

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
Not sure why but i didnt enjoy the first game that much. Also the character creation was a bad idea for that game, too much emo, punk, rock looking designs. Not my cup of tea.

Majukun

tried it and didn't like it..everything felt extremely superficial in terms of mechanics adnd there wsn't really that much to sink my teeth into

Larxia

in Sunset you keep shooting them while being forced on a set track, in Spiderman you have ground combat, air combat, stealth combat, several gadgets, web, electricity, suit powers combos all in free every way movement
And here we have it again, proof that many people who didn't enjoy Sunset Overdrive just didn't play it correctly.

No wonder you didn't like it if what you did was just staying on a single rail and shooting from there without doing anything.
It seems to be very common because I actually can't find any good gameplay videos of Sunset Overdrive, to the point where when I was about to play it, I really didn't think I would like it that much, because every gameplay I had seen before was much slower and not as fun as what I was able to do when I played it myself, which is really the reason why I played it so late, I never thought I would enjoy it that much, given how different the game look in all gameplay videos I can find.

Outside of stealth obviously, most of the stuff you mentionned is there in Sunset Overdrive, with an added scoring / combo layer on top of it. You can move around and do crazy stuff in sunset, you have a big panel of tons of fun weapons to use, you have a lot of great movements available, you can grind, you can dash mid air, you can't charge into the ground from mid air to create an explosion and then bounce back from it (giving you some passive damage boost in the same time), you can slide, you can melee, you can wall jump and wall run, bounce on objects, and even more, all of these together to tie chain of combos that can give you an higher combo multiplier, multiplier which will grant you passive boost stats and all if you can keep it active without stopping your combo, which means the better you are, the more damage and score you deal. That's why I compare it so much to things like Tony hawk and SSX.

Sunset Overdrive has a FANTASTIC gameplay, but like I said before, it's a very classic arcade gameplay, just pushed to the extreme and polished with modern day tech. To enjoy Sunset overdrive, you need to WANT to have fun, if you just want for the game to hold your hand and only do the basic content without involving yourself into it, the game will never reach its full potential and will remain mediocre, because the game doesn't rely on scripts or auto / free impressive stuff, it relies on skill and player involvement into doing fun things with the tool they've been provided.

If you watch someone who plays tony hawk just for the "story" and doesn't care about mastering the gameplay, it will be very boring to watch and the game won't seem that good, with combos in the 200k points maybe, but if you watch someone who's super into it and try to doing cool stuff, it will become very impressive, technical, and you will jump from 200 000 points to maybe 500 millions, it's a whole different deal, it's the type of game where the player need to really enjoy playing and doing what they are doing, not just to complete goals and be done with the game, but because they love the gameplay and want to get the most out of it, just like people doing crazy combos stuff in bayonetta, dmc etc...

I really think Sunet Overdrive's depth is being overlooked because most people just don't really care about pure gameplay that much, and aren't into arcade games.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Insomniac Games released Sunset Overdrive exclusively for the Xbox One in 2014, with fans and critics both receiving it with praise.

Having played the game for the first game just last year, I am happy to report that it holds up extremely well even today – which ultimately begs the question, what made Sunset Overdrive one hell of a game?

it doesn't deserve a sequel because it was good.....it NEEDS a sequel because they had some interesting elements that didn't really come together. And theres a chance they can make it work this time around.

Really wish this got a 60 FPS 4K enhancement on Series X. Just recently completed it and had an absolute blast, but it’s a shame that this will probably never get the upgrade it deserves. Fantastic game though, and I would love to see Insomniac revisit the franchise at some point.
It's a crime this doesn't have a patch by now. Shameful really.

EDMIX

It's a crime this doesn't have a patch by now. Shameful really.

True. I'm also expecting some port, remaster, um...Directors Cut from Sony lol

I'd expect that waaaay before a sequel. With them working on Spiderman 2 and now Wolverine as well vs Spiderman and Ratchet, it sounds like a sequel is very unlikely. Not for the time being anyway or not from Insomniac. Maybe if the team feels strongly about a sequel, they can form a team of those that want to work on such a project and Sony can have them have 3 teams or something. Maybe, but I feel Sony would more likely do that with a proven series like Ratchet, but Sony does like new IP and is willing to support such things. So I'd say for fans of that IP, there is hope.

I would like to see a sequel as well, but too bad it seems like Insomniac is stuck making Marvel games for awhile. Yeah, yeah Marvel is popular, blah, blah, but I wouldn’t mind seeing Insomniac give Sunset Overdrive another shot with more experience and possibly a bigger budget.

Last edited:

yurinka

I'm happy to see them working on Ratchet Rift Apart, Spider-Man 2 and Wolverine instead.

The next games I'd annouce for them would be a small PSVR2 launch window game or experience, after that a AAA new IP, Wolverine 2 and Spider-Man 3.

Having Spider-Man and Ratchet we don't need Sunset Overdrive, it's redundant. If something, they could ask Nixxes to make a PC+PS5 remaster of Sunset Overdrive. But I wouldn't waste Insomniac's talent with this IP or Resistance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom