• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunshine was a better Interstellar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuro

From the soundtrack to the story to the characters, I enjoyed almost every aspect of Sunshine more than Interstellar. Matthew McConaughey is an incredible actor but he was the only really good performance in Interstellar while Sunshine was a bit more balanced without reaching that same height. Sunshine felt more like a sci-fi movie to me than Nolan's make-believe
love tesseract from the future.
Sunshine's save humanity angle was much better realized too. I'm not really good at explaining things and suck at writing so I'm wondering if anyone else who has watched both movies and agrees with me would like to chime in.

Nolan's 'make believe love tesseract' vs. Sunshine's solar zombie.

Yea I'll take the movie which had one of the world's leading physicist over seeing the science aspect any day.

tokkun

A movie that was stupid most of the way through vs a movie that started great, then took one of the stupidest turns in the history of cinema.

I haven't seen Interstellar but i'm sure they're not that similar.

Sunshine is a great movie and Rose Byrne is stupidly adorable in it but i still don't think that is a good comparison to make.

legacyzero

Banned
The final act could have gone without the crazy naked blurry guy. Absolutely not needed.

The film was near perfect otherwise.

SJRB

Gold Member
Mace being the only crew member of the Icarus with a shred of common sense annoys me every time. I really love Sunshine though, but it's a whole different movie than Interstellar and trying to compare them both just boggles my mind.

Jarmel

Banned
I could say the exact same thing about Interstellar. I preferred Sunshine's twist just for the thriller aspect.

The ending in Interstellar really is a culmination of the entire film. It makes perfect sense and is shadowed heavily throughout the first act.

InfernoNR

I agree with you. I felt the tension waaaaaaaay more during sunshine than I did in interstellar. I think this is thanks to a combination of the music and editing. The scene in Sunshine with
most of the crew yelling at Kaneda to turn around, while the psychologist is asking him "WHAT DO YOU SEE!?" along with Kappa racing to the edge was just mild-blowing. That along with Kappa's final race to the door made me feel some pretty intense existential angst.
I thought interstellar was good, but it didn't have any of those kind of moments in it, for me at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom