• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Arcade denied permit by the city council of Azusa by 3-1 vote

Tripon

Just came down.

Some background: Super Arcade was an arcade in the city of Walnut who used to house Fighting Game Community tournaments including Wednesday Night Fights (Street Fighter IV, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, etc) and Super Smash Sunday featuring Super Smash Brothers Melee, among other FGC tournaments.

Last year, they had to shut down as they could not negoiate a new lease. After looking for a new location in Walnut, Mike Watson, the owner of Super Arcade found a location in Azusa. Today was the decision for the permit to allow running an arcade in the city.

The council voted 3-1 against the arcade listing several reasons included but not limited to:

- Would rather have retail vs. an arcade.
- Previous issues with the owner of the mall where the arcade would be located.
- Argued that fighting games such as Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat were not in fact, 'high quality'.
- Potential public urination issues.
- People who already hang out in the mostly deserted Mall area causing problems late at night (after midnight).

People are currently blowing up the City of Azusa twitter account for the decision.

https://twitter.com/cityofazusa
https://twitter.com/search?q=City of azusa&src=typd&vertical=default&f=tweets

Cat ‏@Eidelonn 24s24 seconds ago
I am appalled @cityofazusa that you would rather have an empty space with zero tax revenue than a legitimate business there. #superarcade

Kilano ‏@Kilanbro 24s24 seconds ago
@cityofazusa never saw a board acting less information before in my life. they want change, but don't want it? im sorry for the donut shop

AS|SDRHellPockets ‏@HellPockets 58s59 seconds ago
.@cityofazusa I'm questioning what is an appropriate usage of that space if its already a problem area you don't want to be in past midnight

*RetweetForAnime ‏@RetweetForAnime 1m1 minute ago
Sad to hear @cityofazusa ruined a great opportunity. They should of said yes to the arcade being opened.

Bill Smith ‏@1up_ThrillHo 1m1 minute ago
I think the city of Azusa is about to find out just how loud and pissed off the FGC can get. #TanShirtHero tried his best.

*TanShirtHero was the only councilman who voted yes.

Ryan Tang ‏@ryanjtang 2m2 minutes ago
the @cityofazusa really screwed up by denying @SuperDojo tonight. this is a WORLD RENOWNED business for competitive arcade players

DJ ten4 ‏@thedjten4 2m2 minutes ago
@CityOfAzusa you have made a grave mistake today denying a very legitimate, community supporting business. Props to #tanshirthero for trying

犬ー執事 ‏@Saikyo_Husky 2m2 minutes ago
Sorely disappointed in @cityofazusa's decision. Was not an informed opinion, instead rife with bias and lack of information.

DJ_Heehobringer@CEO ‏@Silkylinks 3m3 minutes ago
@TenshiMatic Got denied because the city of Azusa would rather have an empty lot until "retail' comes to make them money.

hueHueHue ‏@kevinquach3 3m3 minutes ago
@cityofazusa denying the arcade was the worst decision you could of made. Your city is shit

Johnny Wong ‏@tehfogo 4m4 minutes ago
.@cityofazusa So much time and effort wasted on misinformed council members. I can't believe that you guys denied Super Arcade.

Suffice to say, people are angry at the decision.

Edit: The city of Azusa did approve Scrabble night.
CIUXKbKUkAM3nWF.jpg

For those want watch the archive of the city council meeting.

http://www.twitch.tv/iebattlegrounds/v/6560029?t=0h32m00s

Edit: Looks like Watson will have another chance in 3 weeks.

@KingTomahawk: Round 2 confirmed! 3 weeks and @Superdojo gets another shot!

Watson is going to get a run back in 3 weeks.

Edit: Youtube link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Roch7fbWJYo

Edit: Watson and Super Arcade was formally denied a permit by the City Planning commission. This was their reasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5RsJ0drH14

Full archive of the 2nd appeal: http://www.twitch.tv/iebattlegrounds/v/7729317

And here's commentary by Mondo, who used to be an employee of Super Arcade.
http://www.twitch.tv/iebattlegrounds/v/7742108

EDIT:

BLUE SHIRT HERO PASSIONATE SPEECH: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwPvAoK5XyY&feature=youtu.be

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Those members of the board weren't well informed whatsoever. It honestly felt as if I was back in the 90's where gaming was being associated with ill deeds. Its a shame that these people actually have these jobs and not remain informed with the current times.

K.Sabot

This is a pretty big blow, also it blows. Super Arcade was very important to the FGC as well as arcade culture considering the slew of closed SoCal arcades already.

Nanashrew

Banned
I watched it all go down on stream that I saw Chindogg retweet. The misinformation from the 3, serious lack of any kind of research past 1990 and talking about minority violence was appalling. What Super Arcade was offering was to make the area and community a more welcoming space, something brighter and fun for people to go to and enjoy.

I was watching the stream.

The council members had already made up their minds before Watson and co could even speak.

They'd rather have an empty lot where people gather to drink rather than a proven business that could provide tax revenue.

Giolon

"Out of touch old people make stupid decision - news at 11!"

But seriously, is harassing them on their Twitter really going to make them see the error of their ways? Some of those example tweets make gamers look like ass-hats and probably leave the council feeling vindicated (if they even see it at all).

So this crappy town wants to remain crappy. Find another city to open your arcade in. There are plenty of others in SoCal. It's a veritable wasteland of crappy towns.

Onemic

They clearly still think of the arcades as a 90's thing. The fact that thwy had a problem with the vacant lot bringing in urinators and loiterers and yet would deny super arcade spoke volumes.

The woman that said her reasoning for her decision wasnt based on Super Arcade being an arcade and was for other reasons was complete bullshit. You know if a Starbucks or McDonalds went to them to open up she would say yes. At least be up front about your discrimination man, shit.

Seyavesh

lmao at the lady whose reason for denying it was "well in the couple of months i've been on here all we've been doing is approving stuff so we should probably deny something"

This is what happens when you try to strike a deal with the worst K-On!

Well, I guess there's another place to find and station a Super Arcade. Maybe someone will understand their plight.

hypernima

Banned
I watched it all go down on stream that I saw Chindogg retweet. The misinformation from the 3, serious lack of any kind of research past 1990 and talking about minority violence was appalling. What Super Arcade was offering was to make the area and community a more welcoming space, something brighter and fun for people to go to and enjoy.

I was watching the stream.

The council members had already made up their minds before Watson and co could even speak.

They'd rather have an empty lot where people gather to drink rather than a proven business that could provide tax revenue.

What stream was it on?

RedToad64

- Argued that fighting games such as Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat were not in fact, 'high quality'.
So it's up to council members to determine if arcade games are of quality?
- Potential public urination issues.
Huh? This is like the lamest excuse I have ever heard. Like, this is something a five year old would use to prove a point.
- People who already hang out in the mostly deserted Mall area causing problems late at night (after midnight).
I don't think keeping it empty will help with that....

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Toronto City Council were giddy with joy when Funland Arcade (ie; our last arcade) closed down. They celebrated because they somehow believed it created a seedy, undesirable feeling in the area. Not the strip clubs in the area though.. interesting..
There are major restrictions on arcades and even fucking pinball machines in the city as well. It's fucked up.

It seems to be a myth that exist most places. It doesn't help that 90% of your local politicians are of an age where "arcades / video games = bad" makes sense in their world.

Ah, GAF learns about local government. $20 says a developer is quietly putting together a plan for that land, and has local leaders rejecting all zoning applications U til they are ready.

thefit

Grimløck;169743530 said:
sucks. come to LA and open a barcade; we don't care about pissy floors

That costs too much with alcohol license and stuff, they really just need a place for gamin how hard is that and how absurd that they would deny a permit for it. They would rather allow block after block of weed shops than a few games.

Vice

I thought they'd say yeah. City of Industry, a city down the street from Azusa, let in a Round 1 Arcade elrecently iirc.

Neff

Someone should tell them that the arcade's clientele is going to be a bunch of respectable old farts in their 30s.

thefit

They should try next door in Pomona or West Covina those places are trashy enough to allow it. Hell there's the That 80's bar next to a swapmeet down the way in Montclair.

Eusis

Sounds like arcade goers brought it upon themselves with all the public urination
what
Probably thought there'd be Team Fortress 2 machines in there or something crazy.

. . . I was disappointed to have missed the opportunity to go there before it closed, but found out it had gone/was going to Azusa. Now I can be disappointed all over again! And stupefied at how fucking stupid those reasons are.

jholmes

Toronto City Council were giddy with joy when Funland Arcade (ie; our last arcade) closed down. They celebrated because they somehow believed it created a seedy, undesirable feeling in the area. Not the strip clubs in the area though.. interesting..

You know what's undesirable, that fucking Ardene taking its spot.

Tripon

Yeah but the council is made up of north Azusa at the foothills were all the classy jerks live.

That is the first time I heard somebody call Azusa classy.

I mean, I been to the University of Azusa, but a block away, and it gets baaaaaaaaaaaaad.

thefit

That is the first time I heard somebody call Azusa classy.

I mean, I been to the University of Azusa, but a block away, and it gets baaaaaaaaaaaaad.

Haven't been their but went plenty of times to Azusa Pacific U and that place is weeeeeeiiiiirrdddd!!!!

Top Bottom