• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends |OT19| Three-Fifths of a Thread

Frimaire

maxresdefault.jpg

Woolie's the kind of cop who doesn't rush to judgment, even when he has the murder weapon, an eye-witness account, and a signed form letter from the murderer talking about how much they love murdering the specific victim in particular on the night of the murder, with the murder weapon.

It wasn't until 1960 that Macey's introduced their first line of revolutionary "cleanable" knives, allowing housewives everywhere to stop hurling them into alleys after cooking every meal.

Xux

Woolie's reaction to the armor stuff is pretty on point. No Nightwing or Shazam pretty much killed my hype for this game. Probably the worst part about Injustice 2 is that Injustice is canon.

The fisticuffs was annoying because of how uniformed everyone was going in. Like it opens with Woolie complaining about gear being unbalanced in tournaments when ranked exists. Not knowing basic mechanics they teach you in the tutorial. It's clear it got no attention from Woolie because it didn't have a capcom logo attached. I hope they revisit it again or at least do story mode because they did a huge disservice to the game.

Also, Vinny, if you're out there:

I had actually seen your channel about a thousand times while browsing Twitch and never stopped in since I, uh, actually did assume it was somehow related to Vine. So, uh, you got at least one viewer out of your Podcast turn, good job.

Did they literally boot Injustice 2 for the first time when making this recording? It takes over 10% the video before the first hit is landed.

Edit: Do none of them know Dex-Starr's name? I don't even read comics and I know it.

Nordicus

Fucking Kelso.

When during an inspection your officer tells you to clean your rifle, you take your cleaning kit out and fucking do it. You don't throw a hissy fit and get your whole team in trouble.

Despite all his talk about of going to where the real fight is, as a rifleman you're going to have to show some teamwork, with your equals and superiors, and Kelso's teamwork is SHITE!

Goddamn little snowflake

Fucking Kelso.

When during an inspection your officer tells you to clean your rifle, you take your cleaning kit out and fucking do it. You don't throw a hissy fit and get your whole team in trouble.

Despite all his talk about of going to where the real fight is, as a rifleman you're going to have to show some teamwork, with your equals and superiors, and Kelso's teamwork is SHITE!

Goddamn little snowflake

Hey, at least as an enlisted man he won't have to deal with asshole drill instructors making completely arbitrary demands of him.
Hahaha.

Real talk, though, in that situation it really doesn't matter what you say. The reason that bore is "dirty" is because the DI has decided before he even walked in there that your platoon is getting fucked up. Part of boot is learning that shit happens and not beating yourself or your teammates up about it, and to teach that the DIs will quite literally make shit up to punish you for if they have to. (They usually don't, of course, because someone usually did something.)

Nordicus

Hey, at least as an enlisted man he won't have to deal with asshole drill instructors making completely arbitrary demands of him.
Hahaha.

Real talk, though, in that situation it really doesn't matter what you say. The reason that bore is "dirty" is because the DI has decided before he even walked in there that your platoon is getting fucked up. Part of boot is learning that shit happens and not beating yourself or your teammates up about it, and to teach that the DIs will quite literally make shit up to punish you for if they have to. (They usually don't, of course, because someone usually did something.)
Obviously times are different and there's always differences between armies, but that DI did not seem that he was going to do much more than turn the inspection into more than 15-30 minutes of additional circus if nobody immediately started talking back in the same disrespectful tone Kelso did.

Shit, for weekend inspection that was pretty fucking lax.

55 minutes of them playing injustice seems like a special kind of hell.

They mostly just go through the motions, ie pick two new characters every match and throw "gimme" supers at each other to see them without putting any real effort into playing properly or winning.

Kind of a nice change of pace since NRS's rather blatant streaming push of the last week has left me flooded with an eyerolling amount of mediocre Injustice 2 content. I mean, I don't doubt it can become a competitive game, but it's also obvious that no one playing it right now has actually gotten good enough for competition in it to be worth watching.

Woolie's reaction to the armor stuff is pretty on point. No Nightwing or Shazam pretty much killed my hype for this game. Probably the worst part about Injustice 2 is that Injustice is canon.

The worst part about it is how bad the story is. Also how many good characters just die for no real reason other than satisfying Wonder Woman's bloodlust which she has just because she wants the Super D.

On the other hand it's really great that they keep getting the 90s animated voice actors on board for the games because they're the best performances those characters ever had in media.

Kind of a nice change of pace since NRS's rather blatant streaming push of the last week has left me flooded with an eyerolling amount of mediocre Injustice 2 content. I mean, I don't doubt it can become a competitive game, but it's also obvious that no one playing it right now has actually gotten good enough for competition in it to be worth watching.

Flash is still broken, that's all you really need to know.

explodet

Is that you Woolie? And Matt is supposed to be a comic buff.
Matt seems more like a Marvel kind of guy (Punisher, Spider-Man/Spider-Gwen, etc). And of course, the stupid ages of late 90s comics.

I always felt you need to be a certain kind of comic fan to get into Green Lantern stories, but that's just me. Matt's knowledge of DC stuff might as well be limited to the movies and Pat's Luthor-esque rants about how much he hates Superman.

On the other hand it's really great that they keep getting the 90s animated voice actors on board for the games because they're the best performances those characters ever had in media.
I still go back to watch episodes from Batman the Animated Series to Justice League Unlimited. It's SO GOOD.

Village

I don't think matt knows too much bout marvel either. That's fine, you don't have to be deep in like me or comics explained dude to do comic content .

The issue is when they try to like explain things, or " why is black canairy here or Fire storm " not knowing DC is pushing both of those characters right now. Or woolie saying that damian wayne is catwomans son, and not knowing that they huntress being batmans daughter was Crisis-ed out of continuity decades ago.

I don't mind people not knowing about comics, I watch max and his friends and outside of simmons and occasionally kenny's weird off and on again knowledge of comics filling in simmons blanks, they don't know alot and I don't expect them to.

Its just that matt and woolie try to be comic guru's and know jackus shitus that's annoying.

I always felt you need to be a certain kind of comic fan to get into Green Lantern stories, but that's just me.

I dissagree, green lantern has generally been an extremely popular character over DC's publication history, barring that time hal went evil and murdered everyone. They have several books going on right now, have always generally done well and with the invention of the other lantern cores in the early 2000's bolstered their popularity several times fold. They are basically color coded power ranger space cops, and you don't need much for say a kid to get into that.

Modern interpretations have gotten a bit strange though, like jon steward and Senestro's daughter basically saying " you how about we work together you dad was a dick" " Ok sure" and now the yelllow and green lanterns work together.

But yeah, outside of like the occasional " guardians fucked up again" situation with universal lore, its pretty simple. Space cops, color coded space cops with a specific attribute.

joe2187

Banned
Fucking Kelso.

Goddamn little snowflake

Kelso has way more integrity and personality in that one minute of dialogue than the entirety of Phelps in the whole game.

Phelps is an interesting choice for a video game protag since he's such an unlikeable bastard from beginning to end.

Nordicus

Kelso has way more integrity and personality in that one minute of dialogue than the entirety of Phelps in the whole game.
Hey, at no point did I say that Cole isn't a pissy douche gloryhog.

And, watching the rest of the flashbacks in advance, yes, Kelso learns to harness his righteous indignation into proper direction, but in the beginning he is pointlessly whiny like the protag of Zone of Enders 1

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Phelps is an interesting choice for a video game protag since he's such an unlikeable bastard from beginning to end.

I was thinking that too. I feel vad for Kelso because Kelso is obviously being singled out in large part because Phelps does not like him. Phelps is like that rat faced kid from Recess(the cartoon) always following the evil teacher around. It certainly explains why he asks people if they like fucking kids.

Exodust

Banned
I dissagree, green lantern has generally been an extremely popular character over DC's publication history, barring that time hal went evil and murdered everyone.

I like Green Lantern stuff, too. But man do I love Hal turning heel and killing everybody. The image with him menacingly smiling while having all the rings is my favorite art of him.

Village

I like Green Lantern stuff, too. But man do I love Hal turning heel and killing everybody. The image with him menacingly smiling while having all the rings is my favorite art of him.

Not a fan of that, but I'm a fan of what it spawed.

The multiple lantern cores

Xux

The worst part about it is how bad the story is. Also how many good characters just die for no real reason other than satisfying Wonder Woman's bloodlust which she has just because she wants the Super D.

Flash is still broken, that's all you really need to know.
Ugh, character deaths. Maybe I'll skip this one.

I was thinking that too. I feel vad for Kelso because Kelso is obviously being singled out in large part because Phelps does not like him. Phelps is like that rat faced kid from Recess(the cartoon) always following the evil teacher around. It certainly explains why he asks people if they like fucking kids.

Phelps is such a dickhead. He's not even sleazy or corrupt, he's just a boring shit. Kelso would have been a much better main character, or the guy from vice.

Strimei

I actually really enjoyed the Injustice 2 FNF. Based on comments here and elsewhere I was expecting the worse but it seems like a good time overall.

For better or for worse, Phelps is supposed to be an unlikable twat, it's not an accident. There's a plot point in the game later that literally only exists to make the player like him less and make him seem like a worse person in a general sense.

It's a pretty interesting narrative choice.

Fat4all

Banned
For better or for worse, Phelps is supposed to be an unlikable twat, it's not an accident. There's a plot point in the game later that literally only exists to make the player like him less and make him seem like a worse person in a general sense.

I remember some people not liking the direction the game went in from that point til the ending, but I thought it was an interesting take on a main character.

aly

That Injustice 2 video had me pulling my hair with its wrongness on comic book lore. The game is actually pretty great though despite me not liking some story choices and some roster choices ( RIP Nightwing). I wish they played or understood more about the game before making the video.

joe2187

Banned

Well it follows typical "Noire" narrative.

In any typical Noire story your main character isn't supposed to be happy, is heavily troubled and or burdened, burnt out, disgraced or just a plain ol piece of shit. Phelps is the foil to what the typical MC of a Noire story plays against...which would be Kelso.

So you're playing as the straight laced, "Other Guy" to Kelso who would be your old fashioned "Hero" in a Noire story.

Well it follows typical "Noire" narrative.

In any typical Noire story your main character isn't supposed to be happy, is heavily troubled and or burdened, burnt out, disgraced or just a plain ol piece of shit. Phelps is the foil to what the typical MC of a Noire story plays against...which would be Kelso.

So you're playing as the straight laced, "Other Guy" to Kelso who would be your old fashioned "Hero" in a Noire story.

Yeah. The one thing you have to give to Bondi is that they didn't dumb their story down for mass consumption. I'm sure they were under a ton of pressure to do so (given the enormous project overruns and everything), but they stuck to their guns and released a game that (as Fat4all pointed out above) was probably outside the comfort zone of a lot of their audience.

Most studios, that probably would have gotten focus grouped straight out of existence.

Top Bottom