• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Lucky's Tale (Cute 3D platformer, Xbox One + W10PC)

maxcriden

Hold on. You mean the level design of that game is working on this?

Either way hopefully this game does well because maybe MS wants to see if a game like this can succeed on their system before maybe giving Banjo or Conker a chance.

Yep, the level designer of that game is working on this one. I have pretty high hopes for the game!

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know if you're required to collect all the coins or other items in order to advance/progress in the game? Thanks.

bede-x

Does anyone know if you're required to collect all the coins or other items in order to advance/progress in the game? Thanks.

I know absolutely nothing about it, but based on the Polygon video it looks like there are some things you need to collect and carry to a certain point - like the head from the cage - but I don't think you need to pick up every coin (those from objects also disappear after a short time).

But we will because it's fun and they're shiny :)

Yep, the level designer of that game is working on this one. I have pretty high hopes for the game!

Cool. Expectations raised.

Justinh

Going from memory of the first game...

If it's like the first game, which I'd assume it would be at least a little similar, there's probably like different objectives for each level (like SM64). There's a first play where you just make it through the level, then you can go back to that old page and do other things like there was some kind of race/time-trial thingy and one where you collect different hidden coins in the level. Each "task" earns you a star or something (I can't remember what it was). You needed a certain amount of stars (or whatever they were) to unlock the following pages/levels.

Sorry, I was kinda rambling. You needed to do some searching for the hidden coins to progress in the later levels in the first game, but I don't think it was that "strict" (you didn't have to do all the previous levels' objectives to unlock the newer ones I think). I don't know anything about the new game, but if it's similar to the first game then you're probably going to have to do some searching in at least some of the levels.

Bog

Junior Ace
The Oculus game was really amazing for the first few minutes. Then you realized you were playing the most bland platformer thrown together since the early days of the PS2. It couldn't have been more boring. Not possible.

Here's hoping they learned something in the last two years.

iswasdoes

The Oculus game was really amazing for the first few minutes. Then you realized you were playing the most bland platformer thrown together since the early days of the PS2. It couldn't have been more boring. Not possible.

Here's hoping they learned something in the last two years.

Can confirm, Initially theres something incredible about playing a platformer inside a little virtual diorama. But the actual gameplay is like a modern 3D version of a shit mario imitation collect em up from the 16 bit era.

Take away the VR and I literally couldn't think of a reason to touch this game.

Now proper mario in VR - that would be so special

Swarming101

I'm completely sold on this game. I'm legitimately so excited to get my copy and get playing this in my living room. Games like this made my childhood, and though there's been a number of platformers more recently, none of them have quite scratched the itch, but this one does.

I just want to wish Playful the very best of luck with this game, and I hope this turns out to be as great as I think many of us are hoping for.

Josman

I don't really see the appeal of this, I haven't even bothered to finish it on Rift because it plays like a cheap platformer on iOS, taking away VR is literally cutting off the best thing about this game

I don't really see the appeal of this, I haven't even bothered to finish it on Rift because it plays like a cheap platformer on iOS, taking away VR is literally cutting off the best thing about this game
I may be wrong but I dont think this is the same game as that on rift.

Bridges

Definitely not the same game as on the Rift. This one looks much more fully featured and the lack of VR seems to let them get away with a little more in terms of intricate platforming.

That's not to say that the VR game isn't good! Lucky's Tale is an extremely solid game, but the sequel already looks leagues better.

Hawk269

Game is looking good and there are not many games like this on the Xbox One, so it will be refreshing. I love that they focused on those of us with OCD and want to look in all areas and they have added stuff to find. Always been that type of player that loves to look for things. Zelda on Switch was brutal for me being how big the game was and I kept looking and looking for stuff to find. lol

I'm pretty sure this is suppose to be a different game.

MrMorningMan

Neo Member
Super Lucky’s Fail

Seriously though, how is it?

I really enjoyed my time with it to be completely honest. It's quite short but the world is charming and colorful and the inhabitants quirky and fun. Looking at it from a gameplay perspective, it's a simple platformer with a few neat levels in each of the worlds. The only thing that might cause some frustration is the camera, which is unable to be controlled freely. You can rotate it a little bit in each direction using the bumper buttons.

It's priced fairly for what you get in my opinion. If you do happen to buy the game, I would suggest you focus on collecting the clovers early as the requirements to progress are quite high later on.

I really enjoyed my time with it to be completely honest. It's quite short but the world is charming and colorful and the inhabitants quirky and fun. Looking at it from a gameplay perspective, it's a simple platformer with a few neat levels in each of the worlds. The only thing that might cause some frustration is the camera, which is unable to be controlled freely. You can rotate it a little bit in each direction using the bumper buttons.

It's priced fairly for what you get in my opinion. If you do happen to buy the game, I would suggest you focus on collecting the clovers early as the requirements to progress are quite high later on.

Sweet thanks dude. Might grab it sometime down the line when I get that 3D platformer itch 👍🏼

Allandor

yes, for the price it is still a good funny game. I bought it for 19,99€ at the Christmas sales. Didn't play through at some point it is really hard to get all those clover-leaves. You can't compare It to Mario games, but it is still a descent lovely jump & run.

Well, has anybody something to say about the addon? Are the coins finally there for at least something?
The Coins in this game just don't make any sense. Only in the levels the make kind of sense but after that... why should I get them if you can't do anything with them?

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
really wanted to like this game, bought it day one but its just very bland. nothing wrong with the game just doesn't feel exciting like 3d Mario, don't know if its the music or what

I bought this with my XboneX because I wanted a platformer and wow it is garbage!

Returned it and downloaded a Hat in Time instead.

Top Bottom