• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Lucky's Tale (Cute 3D platformer, Xbox One + W10PC)

psyfi

Banned
This game really deserves a better name. It looks seriously good otherwise though, I love the art an general charm.

red731

I need to replay Croc to prep for this. Prep as in 3d plats.

I can't wait for this.

Truth be told as psyfi is sayin this game could use a better name - like "Furball of the hops"

"Sorry to kept you waiting !" ;-)

psychofox-3.png

This is Psycho Fox for the Master System btw.

kinggroin

Banned
Fuck this game. Losing VR really hurts. That's what made the first one a mind blowing experience in my honest opinion. Felt like I was Lakitu in a Mario game or some such.

maxcriden

The more I see this game the better I think it looks. With the design pedigree of the DKCR level designer I think it is going to be something special.

Montresor

The more I see this game the better I think it looks. With the design pedigree of the DKCR level designer I think it is going to be something special.

I did not know it had that pedigree.

This game was one of the highlights of Microsoft's conference for me. Looks absolutely wonderful.

Already have the game preordered on Amazon. $32 Canadian plus tax. Not bad!

120v

i thought the first Lucky was more or less a neat little tech demo for oculus. i find it weird they're going whole hog on the thing with a non-VR title

blakep267

i thought the first Lucky was more or less a neat little tech demo for oculus. i find it weird they're going whole hog on the thing with a non-VR title
Well presumably nobody was going to fund another VR game and MS was willing to fund a normal platformer. So there probably wasn't much choice

How much of the content is from the original Lucky's Tale? Is the story the same?

All I can know for sure is that burrowing ability is new.

Is this confirmed? Seeing those 2d sections immediately made me think "these guys played Donkey Kong Country"! lol.

This looks cute, but it seems a bit... generic? I guess.

maxcriden

Is this confirmed? Seeing those 2d sections immediately made me think "these guys played Donkey Kong Country"! lol.

This looks cute, but it seems a bit... generic? I guess.

Yep, do a Google search for "lucky's tale donkey kong returns," there's confirmation on the first page of results. Being vague since I don't know if it's considered OK to link directly to a dev's social media.

Arkage

Banned
I played the a few levels of the original version on Rift and was pretty underwhelmed. This looks like pretty much the same thing. I mean, yea, it's solid, but it's also pretty boring. Slow movement, very basic move set, very basic puzzle aspects, been there done that etc.

cordy

Banned
I'll cop it. I really like that I'm seeing more platformers than I have in a while. It brings me back to my childhood.

Yukinari

So for anyone that played the original, did the game benefit from being a VR game or could it have benefited from traditional design?

kinggroin

Banned
So for anyone that played the original, did the game benefit from being a VR game or could it have benefited from traditional design?

Being in VR is what allowed it to elevate above it's somewhat pedestrian platform mechanics. It felt like a living breathing wonder-world and added a LOT of charm.

For instance, getting up close to Lucky, he'd acknowledge you with a wave, or maybe lean in close to you, or might get caught off guard and fall on his toosh.

There were some pretty cool levels involving rotating platforms, lots of alternate paths, and hidden secrets that are enhanced by being able to completely view them from any angle you please.

Again, you're basically the camera. It was surreal.

This new one definitely ups the core gameplay quality, so while VR would have only made this that much better, it's probably more than good enough to stand on it's own.

gohanrage

Hey Guys and Gals. so far I don't own a PS4 or XBOX ONE. Until Seeing Super Lucky's Tale there was zero games I had to have an xbox one to play. I got a Wii U and Switch. I couldn't decide between XBOX ONE X or PS4 Pro. after this years E3 Its super Hard to choose XBOX ONE over PS4.

My Question is. Is this game a Timed Exclusive to XBOX ONE or is this game always going to be exclusive to XBOX ONE. I know when I seen the game on VR It was a game I would love to play. Seeing a brand new game built from the ground up for XBOX ONE I would love to play it. the fact that I now choose to Buy a PS4 Pro over an XBOX ONE X. I am really hoping this game is a timed exclusive and not a permanent exclusive.

The game is totally up my ally I want it, but not enough to get an XBOX ONE for. do You think a year from now this game will be released for PS4? I really hope so. Microsoft would be smart to lock this game down and make it a forever exclusive to XBOX.

XBOX ONE X is 600/678 CAD and PS4 PRO is 500/565 CAD. Price/Price + Tax

Thank You

chadskin

Hey Guys and Gals. so far I don't own a PS4 or XBOX ONE. Until Seeing Super Lucky's Tale there was zero games I had to have an xbox one to play. I got a Wii U and Switch. I couldn't decide between XBOX ONE X or PS4 Pro. after this years E3 Its super Hard to choose XBOX ONE over PS4.

My Question is. Is this game a Timed Exclusive to XBOX ONE or is this game always going to be exclusive to XBOX ONE. I know when I seen the game on VR It was a game I would love to play. Seeing a brand new game built from the ground up for XBOX ONE I would love to play it. the fact that I now choose to Buy a PS4 Pro over an XBOX ONE X. I am really hoping this game is a timed exclusive and not a permanent exclusive.

The game is totally up my ally I want it, but not enough to get an XBOX ONE for. do You think a year from now this game will be released for PS4? I really hope so. Microsoft would be smart to lock this game down and make it a forever exclusive to XBOX.

"Xbox One console exclusive", as per the description on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zi_nI0SIic

Xumbrega

Banned

Thank You

It's exclusive to XBX/W10, not temporarily exclusive.

Big Nikus

When I saw this game I thought "that could be Conker Twelve Tails if it had been released today". Well, if it had ever been released.
I'm so in.

m23

Thank You

I believe it's being published by Microsoft.

Damn... Just watched the gameplay footage and I think I'm sold. It looks adorable and quite fun! Any word on a physical release? I'd gladly buy this on day one if I can get it for $25 with Best Buy's GCU program.

Edit: All I had to do was search on the goddamn site. Physical release confirmed! Definitely gonna grab that with my One X.

EmiPrime

Damn... Just watched the gameplay footage and I think I'm sold. It looks adorable and quite fun! Any word on a physical release? I'd gladly buy this on day one if I can get it for $25 with Best Buy's GCU program.

Yeah it's getting one. Amazon UK have it up with boxart.

Rosstimus

Banned
Is this a new game or like an expansion of the VR game?
Because apparently the VR game wasn't any good

I enjoyed the Oculus game to an extent, but probably because it was one of my earlier VR experiences and it was fun to go inside such a colorful world. I can't really imagine anyone over the age of 10 wanting to play this on a screen though...

Hold on. You mean the level design of that game is working on this?

Either way hopefully this game does well because maybe MS wants to see if a game like this can succeed on their system before maybe giving Banjo or Conker a chance.

EmiPrime

I enjoyed the Oculus game to an extent, but probably because it was one of my earlier VR experiences and it was fun to go inside such a colorful world. I can't really imagine anyone over the age of 10 wanting to play this on a screen though...

I'm in my 30s and I want to play this game. How about that?

amdb00mer

I like the look of it and the dev said it was a sequel to the VR game. I read some first impressions from different people that played it and I watched the DF video. Seems like a promising old school platformer, but at an almost budget price. Thinking $19.99 might have been a better initial price point.

I like the look of it and the dev said it was a sequel to the VR game. I read some first impressions from different people that played it and I watched the DF video. Seems like a promising old school platformer, but at an almost budget price. Thinking $19.99 might have been a better initial price point.

Really tough? $30 seems more than appropriate unless it's incredibly short.

Top Bottom