• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

@MUWANdo

Banned
The framerate is definitely higher than 30, though, so I wonder what the final count actually is. I'm wondering it might even be 60 but it's hard to notice since everything seems so sluggish initally. Hmm.

Mik2121

Cheesemeister said:
Massive spoiler:
World 2-4
The Castle on World 5 (Special) getting all medals
is the stage that has given me the worst headache. That level is nuts because you have time limit too...

Dr.Hadji

Its funny. We have a few reviews out there but none of the text is out. So these impressions are the first substance I've heard about the final game.

Mik2121 said:
The Castle on World 5 (Special) getting all medals
is the stage that has given me the worst headache. That level is nuts because you have time limit too...

No, no, no...
You can get infinite 1-ups in World 2-4.

Thoraxes

Hahahaha, did you see what Nintendo did to deliver their copies? Stephen Totilo is such a trooper.

http://kotaku.com/5856476/nintendos...io-3d-land-didnt-embarrass-me-nope-not-at-all

For context:

LFEph.jpg

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Just heard that the JP version has no solid manual included. :/

But the American one does at least. :)

I never realized how important I considered manuals until I opened up Sonic Generations and found a 4-page, black-and-white instruction booklet with only the controls and how to turn on the system, telling me to go on-line for the rest of the manual.

Mik2121

Watch Da Birdie said:
Just heard that the JP version has no solid manual included. :/

But the American one does at least. :)

I never realized how important I considered manuals until I opened up Sonic Generations and found a 4-page, black-and-white instruction booklet with only the controls and how to turn on the system, telling me to go on-line for the rest of the manual.
Yep. The Japanese one has only a 2 pages (well, one wide sheet folded, really) with the instructions to move Mario around, and telling you to check the in-game instructions for extra info.

I can understand this from a Call of Duty or Battlefield, but Mario..? Really... Nintendo just went super-cheap on this one, and it really blows.

Sinthetic

Mik2121 said:
Yep. The Japanese one has only a 2 pages (well, one wide sheet folded, really) with the instructions to move Mario around, and telling you to check the in-game instructions for extra info.

I can understand this from a Call of Duty or Battlefield, but Mario..? Really... Nintendo just went super-cheap on this one, and it really blows.

Mario veterans like me don't need to read how to play the game. *Does a triple jump out of the thread*

Wahoooooo.

Tried it today; game seems amazing, graphic is delightful, 30fps though (and surprisingly, after having seen Mariokart7, which is 60fps and absolutely stunning).

Mik2121 said:

Sucks because Nintendo had some fantastic instructions in the past.

watershed

Banned
AbsoluteZero said:
Save Your Way Rewards, their in-store loyalty program.

It's free to signup.
I see, thanks. That's a pretty good deal but I've already got my copy pre-ordered at gamestop and there are no kmarts in my area. Hmmm, kinda sucks.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
This picture is blowing my mind and puts things in to perspective.

V095G.png

Possibly four of the greatest figures at Nintendo sitting at one table talking to a madman. Their CVs alone would be the envy of many.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
As a side note, does anyone have decent knowledge of how many "Iwata Asks" Takashi Tezuka been involved with? You would think that a man as great as him would get a lot of glory, but it seems that he has always been much more reclusive.

Miyamoto gets a lot of attention and such from various establishments, but I always thought Tezuka as the greatest individual involved with Nintendo. The man directed the best games on the SNES (let alone Link's Awakening) so there might be a biased attachment involved on my part.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
speedpop said:

V095G.png

Possibly four of the greatest figures at Nintendo sitting at one table talking to a madman. Their CVs alone would be the envy of many.

Really love this pic too.

BowieZ

Banned
One of the best Iwata Asks yet.

If only cos they seem to be directly appealing to me and my concerns about 2D/3D Mario lolol

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
speedpop said:

V095G.png

What a drag it is getting old

Vamphuntr

This was not in the OP (and might be old?) but it's still nice. You can get limited edition Mario pins if you preorder Super Mario 3D land w/ Mario Kart 7 at Gamestop (Canada).

960_MarioPinSet.jpg

disco

speedpop said:
Yeah it is part 2, which can be located here.
Nintendo seriously know how to develop and perpetuate their cult. Every part of me is completely absorbed. They come across as the nicest happiest people. Wonderful. *goes back to Nintendo prayer temple*.

Sinthetic

Awesome Iwata asks. It's so full of detail and gives away loads of the secrets, but I don't mind any of that, we all know it's in there anyway.

zigg

Sinthetic said:
Awesome Iwata asks. It's so full of detail and gives away loads of the secrets, but I don't mind any of that, we all know it's in there anyway.

Does it? It seemed pretty conservative in the revelation department to me.

Good read though.

@MUWANdo said:
Goddammit, it won't load. A lot of Iwata Asks articles (3DS ones in particular) have been 404'ing on me for no reason lately. So annoying.

Everyone: (laughs)

I wonder when I'll be able to play this... I don't have a 3DS. The only game I'm really interested in right now is this, so I just don't think I can justify buying one.

Spike

Vamphuntr said:
This was not in the OP (and might be old?) but it's still nice. You can get limited edition Mario pins if you preorder Super Mario 3D land w/ Mario Kart 7 at Gamestop (Canada).

Not true.

Purchase both Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 games and receive* a Limited Edition Mario Two Pin Set!

* EB Games Canada customers must purchase in full both Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 games to be eligible.
* Customers must return to the same EB Games Canada location with their receipt for purchase of the Super Mario 3D Land game. Customers must present this proof of purchase at time of the Mario Kart 7 game purchase to be eligible.
* The Limited Edition Mario Two Pin Set is available at time of purchase of the Mario Kart 7 game, December 4th 2011.
* Only available at participating EB Games Canada locations or online at ebgames.ca.
* ONLINE PURCHASES: Customers may bring in 1 receipt from their online purchase of the Super Mario 3D Land game or Mario Kart 7 game to any EB Games Canada location to complete the required 2-game purchase. If both games are purchased online, the Mario Two Pin Set will come with the online order, quantity is limited.
* Quantities are limited and available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Pre-ordering your games will not guarantee availability of the Limited Edition Mario Two Pin Set

http://www.gamestop.ca/3ds/games/su...h-special-offer/309884?loc=hero#bonusFeatures

GCX

Miyamoto: Don't let anyone fool you who says 3D Super Mario is difficult. If you play it for yourself, a more fun future awaits—and for us as well! (laughs)
Best Miyamoto quote in a while.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
BowieZ said:
Just had to post this! All kinds of awesome. LISTEN to the theme in the level in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfT9xN0hSZs

(Don't actually watch it if you don't want to get spoiled.)

It's an awesome variation on the game's main theme! Can't wait to have the actual soundtrack for this game!

OMG wow at that music.

Also OMG wow at that level. Mario 64 all up in here.

Edit- It's amazing how bad some people are at Mario.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Videos like that are grating. I get they're playing it safe and of a different skill level, but if I'm not playing Mario at 100 miles an hour, recklessly long jumping and running as fast as I can, I'm not playing Mario at all.

EatChildren said:
Videos like that are grating. I get they're playing it safe and of a different skill level, but if I'm not playing Mario at 100 miles an hour, recklessly long jumping and running as fast as I can, I'm not playing Mario at all.
Hah. On my first run through of a Mario game, I like to take in the scenery and look for everything. Future play throughs are all run-and-gun.

BowieZ

Banned
Bear in mind that, according to the reflection, he seemed to be playing the 3DS looking through a camera lol

Gambit

EatChildren said:

You, Sir, are correct.

With Mario games, not holding the run button is simply wrong. You gotta have that adrenaline rush.

which is exactly why I loved DKCR so much. Pure adrenaline.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Pancakes R Us said:
Hah. On my first run through of a Mario game, I like to take in the scenery and look for everything. Future play throughs are all run-and-gun.

Oh I do that as well. I need to explore everything and check out the details. But even then I gotta go fast.

john tv

Up to world 5 (spoiler!)
in the second quest
, and have gotten every star medal so far. Really starting to dig it now as the challenge is getting more up to my liking.

Think I'm gonna go back and finally play Galaxy 2 when this is done.

jokkir

Vamphuntr said:

960_MarioPinSet.jpg

I was thinking of getting this instead of preordering it at Best Buy and getting 10$ off my future purchases. The thing is, will those pins be made of quality materials or just lame ones that I can make in my basement? >__>

Top Bottom