• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Bros. The Movie (1993) Blu-ray 03.11.14 UK Region B (locked)

Scavenger

7cEba4T.jpg

Blu-ray VS old Disney DVD Comparison:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLa3G2bULwo

Pre-order:
Amazon.co.uk
Zavvi.com

SUPER MARIO BROS. Blu-ray and DVD released 03.11.14, the full details below. A special thanks to the guys at Super Mario Brothers. The Movie Archive (http://www.smbmovie.com) for all their help and support with the release.

Bonus Features:

‘THIS AIN’T NO VIDEO GAME’:
A brand new 60 minute documentary featuring new interviews with: Co-directors Rocky Morton and Annabel Jankel, Producer Roland Joffe, Actors John Leguizamo and Richard Edson, Writer Parker Bennett, Production Designer David Snyder, Art Director Walter Martishius, FX Artists Paul Elliot, Vincent Guastini and Rob Burman, Visual FX Designer Chris Woods, Editor Mark Goldblatt and Creature Designer Patrick Tatopoulos. Archive interviews with Bob Hoskins and producer Jake Eberts.

‘MAKING OF’
ORIGINAL ELECTRONIC PRESS KIT
BEHIND-THE SCENES / STORYBOARD GALLERIES
TRAILER

Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 / PCM Stereo 2.0
Format: BD50
English Subtitles for Hearing Impaired

Just two more weeks. Yes this film is shit, but I still want it really bad somehow.

Banned
Who asked for this? And more importantly, who financed this? I want to have a word with them.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I've been waiting for this on Blu-Ray forever!

Not joking.

Santar

Gotta say I'm considering getting it mostly for the nostalgia.
Haven't watched it in years and there's a charm to these 90's video game movies, well at least Street fighter has a lot of charm.

Shame the box art is so crap though.
Why didn't they go with either of these?:

super_mario_bros_xlg.jpg

w0crM6y.jpg

idk guys, it was so bad i actually enjoyed it. I remember they gave it a few years a go on tv and I saw it and still enjoyed it after all these years.

Mr. Doop

Man, it's been forever since I've watched this. All I really remember about it was Dennis Hopper's stupid haircut and those terrifying goombas.

BocoDragon

I watched the movie two years ago for the first time and I actually like it, it gives me this 80s/90s vibe and I love this kind of stuff. :)
It's thouroughly early 90s. Like, I don't think you could get more 1993. Because it did have CGI, unlike 80s movies. Shit CGI.. It looks like the introduction to a 3DO game. It's all about "morphing".

Oh, and it had dinosaurs. They fucking loved dinosaurs in the early 90s.

Rich!

I'm still not quite sure why this film was shown almost every christmas eve on BBC1 in the mid ninties

I swear it was on that night three years in a row. bizarre choice of film for christmas.

when i was 7 i watched this and thought "at least they conserved the squared design from smb3 in bowser castle, but why they had to change everything else"

NotLiquid

The movie was so bad, yet I still have an emotional attachment to it because as a kid I just cared about the fact that they made Mario into a movie.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
I'm still not quite sure why this film was shown almost every christmas eve on BBC1 in the mid ninties

I swear it was on that night three years in a row. bizarre choice of film for christmas.

Blade Runner wasn't depressing enough

Scavenger

Gotta say I'm considering getting it mostly for the nostalgia.
Haven't watched it in years and there's a charm to these 90's video game movies, well at least Street fighter has a lot of charm.

Shame the box art is so crap though.
Why didn't they go with either of these?:
Second Sight Films doesn't usually do reversible covers from what I've heard. Would've been nice if it had one with the original art.

Weird new logo. The old one, as posted, is way better.

Photoshop monstrosity vs. the cheesy but kind of awesome original hand painted poster. I have said it before in another thread, but what's the point of owning a physical copy of this movie, if you can't have the original artwork on the box?

Rich!

Photoshop monstrosity vs. the cheesy but kind of awesome original hand painted poster. I have said it before in another thread, but what's the point of owning a physical copy of this movie, if you can't have the original artwork on the box?

custom cover time

BocoDragon

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2011/jun/18/bob-hoskins-interview-neverland

Q&A with Bob Hoskins

What is the worst job you've done?
Super Mario Brothers.

What has been your biggest disappointment?
Super Mario Brothers.

If you could edit your past, what would you change?
I wouldn't do Super Mario Brothers.

Good old Bob Hoskins. RIP
I feel like this guy was the anti-Raul Julia in Street Fighter. Julia knew he was in crap, and embraced it, hamming it up in every scene. I'm sure he went to his grave with no fucks given.

I feel like this guy was the anti-Raul Julia in Street Fighter. Julia knew he was in crap, and embraced it, hamming it up in every scene. I'm sure he went to his grave with no fucks given.

I think he had a negative experience filming it, I remember him saying the directors were abysmal and always arguing

Rich!

In a 2007 interview with the Guardian, Hoskins was even harsher.

“The worst thing I ever did? ‘Super Mario Bros.’ It was a fuckin’ nightmare,” Hoskins said. ”It had a husband-and-wife team directing, whose arrogance had been mistaken for talent. After so many weeks their own agent told them to get off the set! Fuckin’ nightmare. Fuckin’ idiots.”

lol

Robin64

Mind, the colour difference in the comparison video is astonishing. I hope that's an accurate representation. I don't remember the old version being so red.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Honestly, if it didn't have the "Super Mario" moniker, it would have been a decent B level sci fi flick.

BocoDragon

I think he had a negative experience filming it, I remember him saying the directors were abysmal and always arguing
I believe it was Leguizamo who admitted that Hoskins just gave up and started drinking on set.

Is it wrong that I've always kind of wanted a game set in this films universe? It's so, so stupid, but I've always found it vaguely endearing as a setting, even though I've always been aware of how shite the movie is.

Ideally a tongue in cheek adventure game along the lines of Grim Fandango or Monkey Island.

Anyhow, this is definitely going on my Christmas list!

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
This movie was the single biggest letdown of my childhood.

I can't wait to watch it again in HD :D

Kanyon

Don't care how badly the movie was panned, I still loved it. Will definitely be adding this to my collection if there's eventually an Australian release.

BocoDragon

Is it wrong that I've always kind of wanted a game set in this films universe? It's so, so stupid, but I've always found it vaguely endearing as a setting, even though I've always been aware of how shite the movie is.

Ideally a tongue in cheek adventure game along the lines of Grim Fandango or Monkey Island.

Anyhow, this is definitely going on my Christmas list!
I was fantasizing about this as a kid back then. In my mind it was a Mario side scroller but with digitized photos of the actors.... A la Street Fighter the Movie the Game. It would have been so early 90s bad but I wanted it to exist.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
I was like 11 or so when this came out and I remember watching this with disgust on my face. What a hell hole of a movie.

Cyd0nia

Banned
The best part is just how much Mario stuff is actually in there.

Like Big Bertha.

francesca-roberts.jpg

Why have I only just realised she's meant to be the giant cheep cheeps that try and eat you?

lol @ that Hoskins quote btw. "Fuckin idiots" - RIP big man.

BocoDragon

Why have I only just realised she's meant to be the giant cheep cheeps that try and eat you?

lol @ that Hoskins quote btw. "Fuckin idiots" - RIP big man.
He probably said it in a cockney accent too. Haha

Top Bottom