• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 Confirmed!

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
pakkit said:
You're oversimplifying. There are a lot of different elements to Zelda games.

True. But none of those different elements include Level (dungeon) select like Mario games have.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Mejilan said:
Once you get Luigi's star festival bonus star, that same star festival bonus stage opens up for Mario.

Actually, they both open up once you get 120 stars with Luigi, so you can do them in any order. /Minor nitpicking

Christopher

bridegur said:
Yeah, I'd say there is a high chance of the new Zelda disappointing people who like the adventure/exploring aspects of the series.

Can't be any more dissapointing than Twilight Princess...what a total letdown that was.

Also I'm very suprised that Edge gave this game a 10/10 with basically using the same engine...while I'm sure it will be an almost perfect sequel I don't know if I'd rate it a perfect game.

Dascu

Christopher said:
Can't be any more dissapointing than Twilight Princess...what a total letdown that was.

Also I'm very suprised that Edge gave this game a 10/10 with basically using the same engine...while I'm sure it will be an almost perfect sequel I don't know if I'd rate it a perfect game.
This doesn't make any sense.

udivision

Dascu said:
This doesn't make any sense.

I think it's more like, if SMG 1 didn't exist, and SMG 2 was released a 1, then "SMG2" would get the same or better the scores than the first. However, since SMG2 is a sequel, it's not as "new" and that alone may make some people rate it a little lower.

Dascu

udivision said:
I think it's more like, if SMG 1 didn't exist, and SMG 2 was released a 1, then "SMG2" would get the same or better the scores than the first. However, since SMG2 is a sequel, it's not as "new" and that alone may make some people rate it a little lower.
Yes, but that line of reasoning is utter nonsense.

MYE

Christopher said:

ugh

Amir0x

Banned
Christopher said:

So what if it uses the same engine?

It's not like there's much room to improve the visuals... this is Wii. (And Galaxy is one of those rare Wii games which effectively utilizes 3D and still looks good)

udivision

Dascu said:
Yes, but that line of reasoning is utter nonsense.

I don't think it's crazy to compare SMG 1 to SMG 2.

I'm not saying the reviewer should automatically dock for being a sequel, but at the same time can you blame someone from thinking about game X when they're playing X2?

In other words, whether they want to or not, when reviewing SMG2 they'll most likely be thinking about SMG1. Not Pokemon, Uncharted, Zelda, or Halo. SMG1.

Galang

Banned
Christopher said:

It's running on the same engine of an already incredible game with improvements all around for the sequel, I'd be worried if the game scored drastically lower. :D
It's a shame people are most likely going to give the game a lower score because of reasons like these, although the original got such high scores anyway... I doubt we'd see a repeat even if the game deserves it, but I still think SMG2 will manage to be the second highest rated Wii game.

Vizion28

Banned
Nintendo seems to get a raw deal for making sequels that have no drastic changes. That was one of the biggest complaints of Smash, NSMB Wii, and will probably the same for Galaxy 2. Yet how big are the changes in sequels for major franchices for sequels such as Call of Duty, Uncharted, Halo, Bioshock, God of War etc.? You rarely hear people complain, whether critics or gamers, it is more of the same.

In my view Nintendo is reknown to make innovative gameplay changes to their franchises that people expect to find it in all their sequels. Which is unfair to Nintendo unless you hold the same standard to the sequels of other franchises.

gerg said:
Of course it isn't! Games can't just be fun - they have to advance technology in some mind-blowing way!

The sense of discovery and wowness of doing something the first time IS more fun than doing it the second time.
It's entertainment and entertainment is best experienced with the first experience. This is why games must up the ante all the time.

MisterHero

Vizion28 said:
Nintendo seems to get a raw deal for making sequels that have no drastic changes. That was one of the biggest complaints of Smash, NSMB Wii, and will probably the same for Galaxy 2. Yet how big are the changes in sequels for major franchices for sequels such as Call of Duty, Uncharted, Halo, Bioshock, God of War etc.? You rarely hear people complain, whether critics or gamers, it is more of the same.

In my view Nintendo is reknown to make innovative gameplay changes to their franchises that people expect to find it in all their sequels. Which is unfair to Nintendo unless you hold the same standard to the sequels of other franchises.
What Mario needs is RPG-lite elements

every 100 times Mario jumps on a Goomba you get +1 jump-on-goomba attack
every 100 times Mario dies your Mustache Reputation goes -1
every 100 times Yoshi dies/you shoot a Luma with star bits, your evil-meter does +1
every 1000 star bits you shoot accurately adds +1 to accuracy and unlocks the sniper attachment

Christopher said:

Umm.... right.

Also, we've already established that a reviewer giving something a 10 doesn't mean they think it is perfect.

udivision said:
I don't think it's crazy to compare SMG 1 to SMG 2.

I'm not saying the reviewer should automatically dock for being a sequel, but at the same time can you blame someone from thinking about game X when they're playing X2?

In other words, whether they want to or not, when reviewing SMG2 they'll most likely be thinking about SMG1. Not Pokemon, Uncharted, Zelda, or Halo. SMG1.

Exactly.

So if the sequel ends up being better than the original they will take note and rate it higher(or the same if it's already getting 10s).

Edit: Typo.

Wow, I had been staying out of the SMG2 threads thinking there was no real news but holy shit, May 23rd?

I expected a fall release.

Can't. Wait.

And I'm probably crazy LTTP with this, but on the official site there's a 60FPS trailer. It looks amazing.

Christopher

ok calm down I was expressing an opinion on what I thought a review score meant lets calm it down.

The sense of discovery and wowness of doing something the first time IS more fun than doing it the second time.
It's entertainment and entertainment is best experienced with the first experience. This is why games must up the ante all the time.

What I was going for ;)

The Hermit

After reading the review the writer, as I understand, said the 10 wasn't for being ground-braking (the first was) but for perfecting every single aspect of the first which is a espetacular achievement...

I mean, I really didn't expected to be this hyped again :D

gerg

Mr. B Natural said:

Except that's not what my argument was, so...

If a game is less fun, so be it, but there's a difference between that and docking a game for not being the most technologically advanced available. I think it's fair to say that you see some of this with games like NSMB Wii, with the idea that 2D gaming is obsolete because 3D gaming is now possible - it's not enough for a game to be really really fun.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
the recent discussion in this thread has made me see the light: i'm not playing sequels anymore. there go GT5, trackmania and a few other titles i was anticipating this year. also, i'm gonna sell my ps3 tomorrow as outside of flower all other games i play there are sequels (mgs4, tekken6, silent hill, jrpgs). good bye, cruel world of sequels.

Lamel

Banned
MisterHero said:
What Mario needs is RPG-lite elements

every 100 times Mario jumps on a Goomba you get +1 jump-on-goomba attack
every 100 times Mario dies your Mustache Reputation goes -1
every 100 times Yoshi dies/you shoot a Luma with star bits, your evil-meter does +1
every 1000 star bits you shoot accurately adds +1 to accuracy and unlocks the sniper attachment

:lol

upandaway

gerg said:
Except that's not what my argument was, so...

If a game is less fun, so be it, but there's a difference between that and docking a game for not being the most technologically advanced available. I think it's fair to say that you see some of this with games like NSMB Wii, with the idea that 2D gaming is obsolete because 3D gaming is now possible - it's not enough for a game to be really really fun.
I'm blown away that you need to point this out.

AniHawk

Christopher said:

Remember guys, Christopher thought Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 was a good game.

Jasoco

Banned
Got my Kate Micucci avatar Mario-ized! :D Looks weird though since her original hat was so huge, it now makes her head look so small.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
AniHawk said:
Remember guys, Christopher thought Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 was a good game.
Never forget:

2inlp3.jpg

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
^ Oh shit, I didn't want to know that. I better stay away from all Galaxy 2 threads.

camineet

Banned
I wonder if there's going to be any follow-up to my favorite galaxies such as Melty Molton Galaxy and Bonefish Galaxy.
I hope EAD Tokyo has made some similar levels in SMG2 that top those two.

Kilrogg said:
I'm sure there's a way to make Zelda more approachable without relying on hand-holding, but somehow I think this is what will happen to this game, sadly :/.

The only thing I'm clinging onto at this point is MotionPlus-based swordfighting. If it's done really well I might buy it, but I'm afraid there will be no sense of exploration, too much puzzle-solving, run-of-the-mill dungeons, an unnecessarily large boring overworld and a complete lack of difficulty. I'd love to be proven wrong.

I like that Yamauchi quote about striving for uniqueness and the reminder that people can't always articulate what they really want. Nintendo will be at worst a decent company with decent products as long as they don't lose track of that.

DS intigration/control would be ballsy as hell, but would rather see that than motion control.

Top Bottom