• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Davey Cakes

Hell, most Mario games exist in alternate universes. Or, they might as well. No one's observing the continuity between SMB, SMB3, SMW, and NSMB, right?

Rash said:
Hell, most Mario games exist in alternate universes. Or, they might as well. No one's observing the continuity between SMB, SMB3, SMW, and NSMB, right?

amir0x get in here with your mario timeline canon

DeathbyVolcano said:
It's times like these I wish The Grey Ghost was still around, just to see what fucked conclusions he would draw from all the praise of this game.

"Nintendo isn't actually making a new game, just having some B-team keep re-releasing old content. Their main teams are firmly committed to the Blue Ocean Nintendo World Magic of hahuahuahuahlulhulauhghugugulhlugu *chokes on poop/dicks*"

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
EAD Tokyo Group is definitely working on a second big game. The main programmers of the original Super Mario Galaxy, Hideaki Shimizu and Naoki Kaga are not involved in this game. The original sound programmer, Masafumi Kawamura is also not involved in this game. Though they are listed in the EAD Tokyo Special Thanks.

The planet design staff is almot entirely new. About 6 new graphic designers working on the planet design, while the original planet design staff is not present bar 1-2 designers. A couple of the new designers may have been hired from Sonic Team and Namco. Also one from GameFreak/Creatures. There are also newly hired programmers and character designers showcasing that apparently EAD Tokyo has hired a lot of people.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/jobs/index.html
Apparently, Nintendo is still hiring for EAD Tokyo.

Is EAD Tokyo working on Donkey Kong 3DS? Star Fox? New 3DS game? They are definitely doing something big to have 3 of their big Galaxy programmers and several artists not involved in Galaxy 2.

bridegur

Shikamaru Ninja said:
EAD Tokyo Group is definitely working on a second big game. The main programmers of the original Super Mario Galaxy, Hideaki Shimizu and Naoki Kaga are not involved in this game. The original sound programmer, Masafumi Kawamura is also not involved in this game. Though they are listed in the EAD Tokyo Special Thanks.

The planet design staff is almot entirely new. About 6 new graphic designers working on the planet design, while the original planet design staff is not present bar 1-2 designers. A couple of the new designers may have been hired from Sonic Team and Namco. Also one from GameFreak/Creatures. There are also newly hired programmers and character designers showcasing that apparently EAD Tokyo has hired a lot of people.

Is EAD Tokyo working on Donkey Kong 3DS? Star Fox? New 3DS game? They are definitely doing something big to have 3 of their big Galaxy programmers and several artists not involved in Galaxy 2.

Cool. I hope they're working on a new DK.

Doorman

Shikamaru Ninja said:
The planet design staff is almost entirely new. About 6 new graphic designers working on the planet design, while the original planet design staff is not present bar 1-2 designers. A couple of the new designers may have been hired from Sonic Team and Namco. Also one from GameFreak/Creatures. There are also newly hired programmers and character designers showcasing that apparently EAD Tokyo has hired a lot of people.
But....I thought people said this game's level designs were good...?

game developer positions are so confusing

i mean what is an event and why do they need people to desihn them WHERE do you even GET that many efents, GOG DAMN

farnham

Banned
Shikamaru Ninja said:

DONKEY KONG JUNGLE BEAT 2!

ivysaur12

Banned
Shikamaru Ninja said:

:O

Lkr

A few impressions, MIGHT contain minor spoilers:
have only seen yoshi in the yoshi galaxy so far. i have 6 stars total. I don't know if you get him anymore after that or not, but hopefully he is in a lot more galaxies.
flipswitch galaxy is VERY fun
overall the game is TONS of fun, I think its better than the original in every way so far
so far it appears to be two stars per galaxy
Yoshi is awesome to have, but runs around like a bitch if you get hit off of him like in every other game he is in, causing great annoyance as always :\
Warning sound with 1 health still blows

Eric C

The last time I was this hyped for a game I was still a kid. I ordered from amazon, I can't wait until this comes in the mail. It's so hard to wait.

After you get the 240 stars, you open up another Galaxy. Correct?

What happens after you beat that new Galaxy? Do we know yet? Do we get another bonus?

Jasoco

Banned
mclem said:
What about Wario Land? The first title was a *lot* more like a Mario game than subsequent titles in the series were, despite the fact that the lead character wasn't Mario (you could argue the same about Yoshi's Island, too)
Well if you're gonna do that, you might as well add Super Princess Peach because it was basically the same thing. And include all the Wario's and both Yoshi's Islands. There has to be a line somewhere. I say just games where Mario is the main character.

Also, the final battle theme is so epic. God damn so epic! I wish I hadn't listened to it! Actually, I wish I hadn't read anything about the game but what's done is done. I can't pull a Cartman as it were so this is it. TOMORROW I WILL FIND THIS GAME!
Or die trying.

Ericsc said:
The last time I was this hyped for a game I was still a kid. I ordered from amazon, I can't wait until this comes in the mail. It's so hard to wait.

After you get the 240 stars, you open up another Galaxy. Correct?

What happens after you beat that new Galaxy? Do we know yet? Do we get another bonus?

You get to play as Miyamoto.

Magnus

DevelopmentArrested said:
there's 5 mins of story at the beginning.. that's about it

yes, these are the only 2 ways for people to be playing right now.
Well, I'm neither pirate nor press. Call it a third 'p'. Professional connections. :)

ForzaItalia said:
97.21% after 17 reviews at gamerankings.com
Okay, so I absolutely don't give the least bit of shit about scores or score collection sites, but I did take a look on gamerankings after your post and I do think this somehow is a pleasant sight. :lol

bjfikgphmxcbd2p3k.gif

Magnus

dsister44 said:
Rosalina sent mario back in time to stop bowser before he took over the universe.

In one timeline the mushroom kingdom gets destroyed so mairo and peach set out across the sea in search of a new land leading to super mario sunshine and Yoshi's island

In the other timeline the mushroom kingdom is still intact and is followed by super mario land 64

Galaxy 2 takes place in the latter timeline inbetween super mario land and mario kart double dash
:lol :lol :lol

Peff

Snakeyes said:
Without going into too much details,
are the 240 stars unique? how many of those are comet challenges?

There are still many comets, but this time they're just one color with different challenges (including the ones from the first game). According to the IGN guide there are 24 comet stars in the game. The other 120 stars are unique as far as I know, but they are hidden in the existing levels.

Snakeyes

Peff said:
There are still many comets, but this time they're just one color with different challenges (including the ones from the first game). According to the IGN guide there are 24 comet stars in the game. The other 120 stars are unique as far as I know, but they are hidden in the existing levels.

Jesus. :eek:

NotWii

Banned
Shikamaru Ninja said:

They are definitely doing something big to have 3 of their big Galaxy programmers and several artists not involved in Galaxy 2.
Maybe they all got fired by Miyamoto for sneaking story stuff into Galaxy 2!

TreIII

Shikamaru Ninja said:
EAD Tokyo Group is definitely working on a second big game.

At this point, it's either something for the 3DS, or something to help out the Wii later this year or into next year.

Iwata initially promised more Wii support, so I'm personally hoping it's something along those lines. New Star Fox, maybe? :D

On another note, GStop just txt'd me. I'll be more than happy to pick up my game tomorrow!:D

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
slaughterking said:
Okay, so I absolutely don't give the least bit of shit about scores or score collection sites, but I did take a look on gamerankings after your post and I do think this somehow is a pleasant sight. :lol

bjfikgphmxcbd2p3k.gif

Nintendo is really on a league of its own. :D With Metroid Prime + SMW not so far below.

(Although, some would argue that OOT & SMW don't have a lot of reviews.)

Wii said:
Maybe they all got fired by Miyamoto for sneaking story stuff into Galaxy 2!
There is a bit of implied story to Galaxy 2.
After the events at the end of Galaxy, Mario rebuilds the universe and rewinds it back to before the star festival. In Galaxy 2 Bowser repeats what he did before, but with different results.

Fantastical said:
Had to switch to regular shipping instead so super saver because I am a whore. :lol

I signed up for the Amazon prime trial for mine :lol Usually don't care about getting games near day 1 but my hype for this one is just too great.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Fantastical said:
Had to switch to regular shipping instead so super saver because I am a whore. :lol

I didn't know you could switch shipping options after you placed the order. I went to try and use my prime account, but it was too late. They preparing to ship it out. :(

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Gamerankings/Metacritic lists are forever tainted by Grand Theft Auto 4.

Top Bottom