• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

klier

I cannot believe the game is even better than the first one, I didn't even dare thinking about it.

But it looks like it happened, Galaxy 2 is even better than Galaxy 1, and I couldn't be happier!!!

Here is a collection of the reviews we've seen thus far:

IGN: 10/10
Super Mario Galaxy 2 is more of what made the original so amazingly good: brilliant gravity platfoming. Incredibly tight and responsive controls. Fantastic musical score. But it’s not a “me too” experience -- a significant majority of this sequel is brand new

GameSpot: 10/10
Super Mario Galaxy 2 is even more varied, challenging, and fun than its superb predecessor, making it the new standard for platformers.

Edge: 10/10
Marvel at the pieces, but appreciate the whole. This isn’t a game that redefines the genre: this is one that rolls it up and locks it away.

Eurogamer: 10/10
With multiple gameplay styles and perspectives, and level design so contorted and multi-faceted it's cruel, the camera faces challenges no other game can match, and yet it never puts a foot wrong. The behaviour of the game's gravity and physics can change in an instant, and yet you always instinctively know how to thread our hero through it, that telepathic connection between Mario and gamer as strong as it's been in the last three decades.

Games Radar: 10/10
Like we said earlier, it always either fixes the limited number of flaws the first game had, or just takes interesting new approaches to much of what worked, while still being a game that stands on its own. You may notice that until now we’ve had few complaints, and that’s simply because there are so few things to complain about.

DigitalChumps: 10/10
Whether or not you are a Mario fan, you owe it to yourself to experience what this game is; it’s a result of creative forces which are rarely evident in this density.

Nintendo Life: 10/10
Truth be told, it's nearly impossible to find even one small thing to gripe about, and believe us, we tried. Every once in a while a video game comes along that's just so spectacular that it ends up defining the very system it's released on and raises the bar by which all other games in the series and genre will be judged. It's safe to say that game has now arrived on the Wii console. Consider the bar officially raised.

Examiner: 10/10
Magical and pure ecstasy is the feeling you’ll experience throughout the entire game. In a world where graphics are king, it’s nice to see a game that emphasizes on addicting gameplay once again. If you want to feel like a child again and experience pure unadulterated bliss, Super Mario Galaxy 2 will deliver. Hands down the best release of 2010, so far.

Video Games Daily: 10/10
Somebody once said that Hamlet is a play made up entirely of famous quotes. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is an entire game’s worth of favourite bits. Go find one to call your own.

Destructoid: 10/10
If you're looking for the negative section in this review, you're not going to find it; I have nothing bad to say. Going in, I expected to call Nintendo out for treading water, revisiting Super Mario Galaxy in this sequel. They didn't, though. Instead, they poured in the same creativity and imagination that made me fall in love with games like Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World. To me it feels like they finally felt the freedom and comfort in 3D platforming to get back to that Nintendo magic that we all remember.

k0mbo: 10/10
Super Mario Galaxy was a triumph, but the sequel manages to take things to a new level of excellence by adding new material as well as fixing elements that, in hindsight, did not appear to be broken.

Giant Bomb: 5/5
Super Mario Galaxy 2 sees both Nintendo and Mario himself in top form, delivering an adventure that's as consistently exciting and inventive as ever.

The Escapist: 5/5
Super Mario Galaxy 2 doesn't tinker with the established formula very much, but we didn't really want it to. It's huge, brilliant, and gorgeous. It's why you started playing videogames in the first place.

GameXplain: 5/5
Everything in Super Mario Galaxy 2 feels completely natural and an extension of what Mario has done before. It expertly combines brilliant level design, inventive gameplay mechanics, tight controls, and beautiful visuals and sound into what can only be described as a masterpiece.

Nintendo Okie: 5/5
What could have been a simple rehash of Super Mario Galaxy has easily taken on a life of its own. It feels brand new, while being very familiar to anyone who’s played a Mario Game. Don’t wait any longer than you have to to own this title. You owe it to yourself to play this game.

G4tv: 5/5
The essence of Super Mario games has always been getting from Point A to Point B, being proud that you made it to the end, but then being disappointed because the middle part was so entertaining. This is a magnificent feeling that occurs so often in Super Mario Galaxy 2, I really do want to visit my 10-year old self and give him a sneak peek at what the future holds. (And pray that his/my head doesn't explode).

PixilBit: 5/5
The game mines the formula set forth by its predecessor for nearly all it's worth, and offers up an unforgettable experience that undoubtedly surpasses its source material in every way.

Go Nintendo: 9.9/10
Almost every single galaxy in Galaxy 2 feels like the best theme park ride you've ever been on. The original game had outstanding environments, but there were a few that were forgettable. With the sequel, the level design really does stand out. These are locations I'm going to remember, as every corner offered something entertaining

Cheat Code Central: 4.9/5
If this doesn't sound like a fun and complete game to you, you are crazy.

Official Nintendo Magazine: 97/100

GameTrailers: 9.7/10
If you play video games for what makes them different from other entertainment mediums, put a few days aside on your calendar and get ready for a top-shelf gameplay experience.

1Up: A
If you loved the first Mario Galaxy, but you're wary that this follow-up is a mere shade of its predecessor, than rest assured that this fan-service laden sequel feels just as new as the first Mario Galaxy.

The Onion (AV Club): A
The save-the-princess narrative? That isn’t the story of Super Mario Galaxy 2. The real story—a story that transcends cultures, time, and language—is between each and every one of those sweat-inducing leaps.

NintendoWorldReport: 9.5/10
Super Mario Galaxy 2 takes Super Mario Galaxy and makes a few tweaks to make it more playable. As such, Galaxy 2 instantly catapults itself into the discussion for the title of Best Game Available on Wii. If you liked Super Mario Galaxy even a bit, Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a must-have title for your Wii game collection.

Worth Playing: 9.5/10
While Super Mario Galaxy 2 could easily have been a cheap cash-in with a few lackluster additional levels, it manages to be something more. It expands on the gameplay of Super Mario Galaxy and adds enough new twists and turns to feel like a full-fledged sequel.

Computer and Video Games: 9.3/10
Galaxy 2 is all about the platforming. And just like the original, the sheer amount of imagination present in every galaxy, mini-game and boss fight in Galazy 2 is staggering.

Famitsu Magaine: 37/40

GameInformer: 9.25/10
Most games today are willing to hang their hat on a small handful of new gameplay or level-design ideas. Super Mario Galaxy 2 throws something new at you nearly every single level – and with over 240 stars to collect, that’s no small feat.

Wired: 9/10
A new surprising gameplay twist every few minutes, great nostalgic moments, deep challenges if you want them.

GameDaily: 9/10
Super Mario Galaxy 2, especially for those who played the original, offers both a familiar and original experience that all gamers will enjoy. Buy it without hesitation.

GamePro: 4.5/5
An exhilarating reinvention of platformers that constantly challenges its own identity with success, while the increased difficulty and high proficiency requirement may turn new fans off

N-Sider: (No Score Given)
In Short: Mario turned up to 11.

Kotaku: (No Score Given)
The world did not need another Super Mario game already. But if that is what freed the designers of Super Mario Galaxy 2 to run wilder with their imagination, then let's have more unnecessary Mario games. This new one is tougher, more fantastic, more devious, and more varied.

Crave Online: (No Score Given)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a perfectly crafted nod to every type of Mario fan there is. Briliant gameplay, fantastic platforming, exploration rewards, wonderful music, Yoshi and nostalgiac tip-offs make this game exactly what fans have been clamoring for. If you've ever been a fan of Nintendo, this one's for you.

ArsTechnica: (No Score Given)
No matter what level you're playing at, you can sit down for 20 minutes and have a good time, or you can lose yourself for hours. The Mario haters will continue to bleat about the same ideas being rehashed once again, but the truth is that Nintendo is constantly trying to beat its own best, and it delivers exactly what gamers want—and in huge doses. This is, thus far, the peak of what platforming can offer.

Joystiq: (No Score Given)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the best Mario game ever. There, I said it.

MNC

^ Awesome posts, and I'm listening to Throwback Galaxy while reading :D So good. This game is genuinely making me happy.

Are there any songs like in the first game that are really hypnotic and soothing? Think along the lines of SMG1 space junk and M64 underwater eel level.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Coolio McAwesome said:
GameInformer: 9.25/10
Most games today are willing to hang their hat on a small handful of new gameplay or level-design ideas. Super Mario Galaxy 2 throws something new at you nearly every single level – and with over 240 stars to collect, that’s no small feat.

9.25? What the hell? We rate games out of 1000 now?

theluma

Just so I get this straight...the SMG2 OST art with Yoshi is made by a gaffer, yes? Therefore making MahitoYokota most definitely not Mahito Yokota.

-Winnie-

Holy motherfuck, all these perfect reviews really came out of the blue for me. Was not expecting it at all. Consider me aboard the hype train. :lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Phoenixus said:
Was really surprised to see a commercial for this just before Prince of Persia's Cinema showing yesterday, was a bit cheesy, but otherwise good work Nintendo. (movie was fairly good btw)

Am going to put down a pre-order later, sucks UK has to wait so long, my sympathies go out to the aussies too. :(
It's less than 3 weeks. That's a microsecond compared to normal Nintendo release gaps

Leezard

mrklaw said:
It's less than 3 weeks. That's a microsecond compared to normal Nintendo release gaps
It launches in Europe at the same day I finish high school. :lol
So I will have to wait a couple more days until I can play it. :/

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
disappointed to hear nintendo really nailed the level design and platforming, but skimped on the story. they had a real opportunity to do for mario what THE DARK KNIGHT did for batman, but they'd rather just lazily slap on that same old crap story again and again.

i'll be playing this one while i listen to a george r.r. martin audiobook and wondering what might've been

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i imagine he's talking about that little roundtable they did where someone said that mario was a bad character with no personality hiding behind really great game mechanics.

lol? i think the answer is lol.

Xux

Ookami-kun said:
Anyone heard IGN's non-Nintendo editors and their drama about SMG2?

Yes we did. The thread's already gone through that phase, cried about it, and then grew out it.

O Super Mario Galaxy 2 Thread of the Most Critically Acclaimed Game of All Time.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hmm... I thought it was fairly recent. Then again I just saw it earlier, so I guess I'm the one who had it as old news. XD

Anyway, are the rolling ball galaxies back?

I hate picking free shipping on Amazon :(

I won't get to play this until the middle of next week, and the week after that I start my summer job. Why couldn't this game have come out a week earlier.

I'm only listening to the must hear tracks. I ended up really loving some of the off beaten songs of SMG, like Dusty Dunes, so I don't want to ruin it by listening to the music without the atmosphere of the level around me (no pun intended).
But
throwback galaxy
was a must hear for me

F#A#Oo

Banned
Meh just read that IGN roundtable...

If they didn't enjoy SMG/SMG2 then so what?

My only issue is how they can get people to give their opinion when they are being intentionally obtuse and negative?

The guy in particular who said "I'm a red-blooded gamer" can have his opinion pretty much voided as what the hell is a red-blooded gamer? Are red-blooded gamers not able to enjoy a Mario Galaxy game or is it just waggle?:D

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Fuck, I really hope I can snap a copy from work tonight. This game came out of nowhere, but now that it's near, I'm getting anxious.

Bentendo

Ookami-kun said:
Hmm... I thought it was fairly recent. Then again I just saw it earlier, so I guess I'm the one who had it as old news. XD

Anyway, are the rolling ball galaxies back?

YES! And this is a good thing...

VAIL

F#A#Oo said:
Meh just read that IGN roundtable...

If they didn't enjoy SMG/SMG2 then so what?

My only issue is how they can get people to give their opinion when they are being intentionally obtuse and negative?

The guy in particular who said "I'm a red-blooded gamer" can have his opinion pretty much voided as what the hell is a red-blooded gamer? Are red-blooded gamers not able to enjoy a Mario Galaxy game or is it just waggle?:D
super-mario-galaxy-2-20100517041330783.jpg

I mean c'mon lol

cornontheCoD

Neo Member
beelzebozo said:
disappointed to hear nintendo really nailed the level design and platforming, but skimped on the story. they had a real opportunity to do for mario what THE DARK KNIGHT did for batman, but they'd rather just lazily slap on that same old crap story again and again.

i'll be playing this one while i listen to a george r.r. martin audiobook and wondering what might've been

notsureifserious.jpg

Well, I've had zero interest in this game up until now due to some of the major changes they made from SMG1, but after watching the true ending sequence on Youtube I'm considering giving it a chance.

Are there any good gameplay videos or trailers floating around that will help me make a decision about purchasing the game or not? I'd rather not spend a few hours wading through terrible Youtube videos.

Eteric Rice

I think that fundamentally, there are a lot of gamers that take issue when a game doesn't have a big story with interesting characters.

To quote GameTrailers.

"Super Mario Galaxy 2 is one of those games made for the game player, and not necessarily the game fan. If you feel like you need a deep, involving story with gobs of cut scenes to stay engaged, then steer clear. But if you play video games for what make them different from other entertainment mediums, then put aside a few days on your calendar and get ready for a top shelf gaming experience. There's more creativity in some single stages in this game, than entire other games."

Point is, some people like their games to just be games. Stuff like classic Megaman, Mario, Pac-Man, Tetris, etc, are pure gaming experiences. These days, a lot of people like their games to be gobbled down with other stuff too. Thats probably why some people take issue with it. There's nothing wrong with it of course, but it seems the industry is full of those "cinimatic games only" types.

Also, I think Mario is a great character. At least in his own way. Mario is an average guy (Miyamoto said ugly, but I'd say average), who saves the day. I think that's a great character. No, it's not complex or anything, but Mario is just an everyday guy who does great things.

He's the fireman who gets the cat out of the tree for children. He's the guy that helps an old lady get her groceries to her car. He's the good guy that all of us want to be. That's all he needs to be, no more no less.

RedHerring

Neo Member
So do you guys remember that thread from a week or two back asking if there would ever be another Ocarina of Time in terms of its universally acclaimed reception by critics? Based on Coolio's earlier post it's hard to argue against SMG2 assuming the mantel. Still I think it's clear that SMG2 is not going to have the same impact in terms of influence as OoT did, as the 3D platformer has fallen out of favour with many major developers and publishers and I doubt Mario can change that. Rather I think it would be fair to say that rather than becoming a landmark title that changes the current face of gaming as we know it, like Zelda did by setting the standards for a 3D action-adventure back in the late 90s, SMG2 (as the first SMG showed I think) is very much out of step with current gaming culture as a whole. I'd be interested to know what you guys reckon, should we can expect a 3D platformer renaissance in the wake of this game?

Cheez-It

beelzebozo said:

If you want a good story read a book. Stories do not belong in most games, particularly Mario games.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Azure Phoenix said:
Well, I've had zero interest in this game up until now due to some of the major changes they made from SMG1, but after watching the true ending sequence on Youtube I'm considering giving it a chance.

Are there any good gameplay videos or trailers floating around that will help me make a decision about purchasing the game or not? I'd rather not spend a few hours wading through terrible Youtube videos.

I don't know what you're looking for specifically, but I'm having fun watching this playthrough of the game. He's 5 hours in and uploading new videos constantly. http://www.youtube.com/user/KrazyBrawl#grid/user/280BA906BA3E4632

Eteric Rice

Azure Phoenix said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDX_fY3wDM0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDX_fY3wDM0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHU7qcchJ84 (spoiler!)

SnowWolf said:
I don't know what you're looking for specifically, but I'm having fun watching this playthrough of the game. He's 5 hours in and uploading new videos constantly. http://www.youtube.com/user/KrazyBrawl#grid/user/280BA906BA3E4632
Anything aside from overblown unrepresentative trailers, shaky camera videos with little kids constantly talking and blurry videos with horrible rock music replacing the actual game sounds.

Spoilers aren't a problem since I've already seen the ending.

Myriadis

Kaldea said:
Like this one? The World Map themes are gorgeous.

Wow...it sounds like a missing some from the amazing Metroid Prime Soundtrack...mixed with the beautiful calm pieces from the Halo-Soundtrack.Really.This is one of the best Soundtracks I've ever heard.It even beats the one from Super Mario Galaxy 1.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah, I don't think Mario should have a story. Just let the game and it's setting take your breath away.

And I'd take that over the "faux deepness" shit those IGN editors spout. Cuteness =/= shallow, and realism =/= deep.

Top Bottom