• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker 2 only lets you upload 32 levels

CyberPanda

Banned
Today finally sees the launch of Super Mario Maker 2, allowing us all to play a practically infinite number of levels and design our very own courses.

It's pretty safe to say that we're immensely happy with how the game has turned out, but one little aspect has already started to create a bit of drama online. Folks on Reddit have been passionately discussing the fact that, at present, you can only upload 32 of your custom made levels for others to play - we've checked it out for ourselves, and that is indeed the case.

Now, for some, 32 might seem like plenty, but for others who spend hours and hours with the game, 32 might not sound like all that many. There are a couple of things to think about here, though.

Firstly, the original Super Mario Maker on Wii U initially only allowed for ten courses to be uploaded, so 32 gives players much more freedom. The reason players are upset at the news is thanks to the Wii U game's star rating system, however; in the original, your ten-course limit could be increased if your uploaded levels earned enough stars from others players who enjoyed your creation. Eventually, the best designers found themselves able to share 100 courses, but this doesn't seem to be the case with Mario Maker 2.

Why is it that so many companies seem to have no understanding of the concept of loss aversion? Give people 50 new features while not taking anything away, and they'll be happier than if you gave them 200 new features but also took 5 of them away.

This isn't the only unfortunate aspect of Mario Maker 2, either. Stackable pipes, playing other people's levels in edit mode, and those fun 8-bit Ammiibo costumes are other noticeable omissions.

Ballthyrm

They should have a expandable limit linked to play frequency.
If many people enjoy your 32 levels, you get your limit extended.

No need to extend that limit to crappy "designers".
The logic should be, improve your existing levels enough and we will give you more.

The hard limit will lessen the pollution and force people to make better levels.

Last edited:

Rajack

They should have a expandable limit linked to play frequency.
If many people enjoy your 32 levels, you get your limit extended.

No need to extend that limit to crappy "designers".
The logic should be, improve your existing levels enough and we will give you more.

The hard limit will lessen the pollution and force people to make better levels.
It still severely limits prolific level creators like Hackakat, Potatochan, and Juzcook to name a few. These guys are level creating powerhouses and that limit will absolutely hamstring them severely.

Ballthyrm

It still severely limits prolific level creators like Hackakat, Potatochan, and Juzcook to name a few. These guys are level creating powerhouses and that limit will absolutely hamstring them severely.

If their levels are played they have nothing to worry about.
Nintendo have to design a system for the millions of people who are going to make shitty levels.

I know it suck for the good ones but you can comprise most people experiences by flooding them with garbage. As i said we need a system to extend the limit to proven creators.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I’m super surprised that the first games system isn’t here to fix this. I mean they had to know that the level pool is going to dwarf that of the first game in like a month here. MM1 was a great compromise as it forced me to polish my levels to get enough. Love to get the next ten levels uploads. It was great.

Whitesnake

Banned
Don't have the game at the moment to test it, but couldn't you just boot the game up on another account to bypass the limit? I mean you'd have to unlock stuff all over again, but it's better than nothing.

LMJ

Well Nintendo DID listen to fans when they complained about the "playing with friends online thing"

If enough show their distaste with this decision then perhaps Nintendo will change it as well in a future update :)

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
They should've made the 32 limit for "free" non-subscription players. Give those who subscribe to Nintendo's service a higher cap and (maybe?) higher visibility.

The game is making so many mistakes. C'mon Nintendo.

So make them count. Of the 50 levels I made in mario maker 1, only about 3 were of decent enough quality to be even worth uploading.

32 is plenty.

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
Remember when they released a 3DS version where you couldn't even upload levels..........

I sometimes wish Nintendo would get purchased by another company.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Didn’t the first game have a cap of 10 levels at first? Later expanded to 100?

I spent about an hour with a friend last night working on a level, we got about 40% done with it. Making 32 levels would take us days working nonstop. How is this even a problem?

No way people are making more than 32 levels worth of upload-able masterpieces. You think you are actually going to make enough good levels for a full og Mario game and still that won’t be enough? Lol. Nintendo doesn’t want all your garbage just ur best

This is the entitled trophy generation again wanting everything ever for free

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Didn’t the first game have a cap of 10 levels at first? Later expanded to 100?

I spent about an hour with a friend last night working on a level, we got about 40% done with it.

No way people are making more than 32 levels worth of upload-able masterpieces. You think you are actually going to make enough good levels for a full og Mario game and still that won’t be enough? Lol. Nintendo doesn’t want all your garbage just ur best

This is the trophy generation again wanting everything ever for free
some of us are talented

Top Bottom