• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker 2 |OT|:- Kaizo or Casual? Who cares! Let's Create, Play and Share!

RKfI9KO.png

PUBLISHER: Nintendo | DEVELOPER: Nintendo | RELEASE DATE: 28th June 2019 | PLATFORMS: Nintendo Switch |

GCmR4YX.png

zWChfYh.png

Break the rules and make the Super Mario courses you’ve always dreamed of in Super Mario Maker 2, only on Nintendo Switch! With lots of new tools, course parts and features at your disposal, let your imagination run wild as you craft unique levels to share with friends and players all over the world. Making your own Super Mario courses is easy, and this time, two players can build courses together on a single screen. Simply pick and place iconic objects and enemies wherever you like and choose from many different themes and styles – including the new Super Mario 3D World style. You can even combine familiar elements to create incredible things never before seen in a Super Mario game!

With so many new and returning elements to choose from, making Super Mario levels filled with surprises couldn’t be easier! Watch the video below to see just some of the new course parts, enemies, and features that’ll help make your creations one-of-a-kind.

Go wild with the brand new Super Mario 3D World Game Style. This style works very differently to the others – there are things you can do here that you can’t do in any other style! For example, you can play as Cat Mario, who can climb up walls (and even goal poles) and pounce on enemies. Travel through Clear Pipes, battle against the ninja Pom Pom or even tear up a course with the Koopa Troopa Car – and that's only a few of this style's unique features!

THEMES!

Not a fan of cats? How about something a bit more retro? In addition to Super Mario 3D World, there are four other iconic game styles that you can change on the fly.

rZBy1FB.png

Whether you like to run through castles or sneak through spooky ghost houses, there are plenty of classic Course Themes for you to choose from, along with some new ones. If you swap to the night time versions of each theme, strange, unexpected things may happen...

5LOeDgI.png

STORY MODE!

Play through more than 100 original courses crafted by Nintendo and earn coins along the way to help Mario and co. rebuild Princess Peach’s castle. Each level in Story Mode showcases a variety of tools and features – you might learn a thing or two about course design just by playing them!

MULTIPLAYER!

With Super Mario Maker 2, up to four players can have fun beating courses together – or against each other – in online multiplayer for the very first time in series history! Work together to overcome the odds in co-op mode, or race through randomly selected courses, doing whatever it takes to secure first place in versus mode.

UPDATE: At E3 2019's Treehouse event, the producer of Super Mario Maker 2 confirmed that full online co-op play with friends will be enabled at some point. Until then, online co-op will be with random folks, keep your eyes peeled for an announcement in the near future!

d4tcwcl.jpg

FN1wt1A.png

0qPxI4T.png

METACRITIC: 88%
OPENCRITIC: 88%

GameXplain Score: LIKED

IGN: 9.5​
Super Mario Maker 2 is the most accessible game design tool ever created, and that core is just one part of a greater whole. I spent hours building levels, testing them, and starting over again, and I feel like I've only barely scratched the surface of what's possible. The Story Mode has a basic story, sure, but it's still a great excuse to introduce hundreds of novel, professionally made levels to play. Its design tutorials are so much more in depth than they ever needed to be, and you can take them or leave them as you see fit. Super Mario Maker 2 affords so much freedom in how you play, how you make, and even how you learn, it's astonishing how incredibly well it's all held together in one cohesive package.
GamesRadar: 90
Super Mario Maker 2 is the almost perfect package, putting equal emphasis on discovery, creation, story mode, and outright brilliant gameplay.

Worth Playing: 85
All in all, Super Mario Maker 2 is about as solid of a sequel as you could ask for. It's fun and easy to play, offers a staggering amount of content, feels like it adds enough new fresh features that it isn't just a DLC/re-release with a fancy name, and it's generally everything the game should be. If you enjoy Mario-style gameplay, then you owe it to yourself to give SMM2 a shot. The Nintendo-provided levels are a delight to play, and there are so many varieties of user-created levels out there that you'll never run out of options.

Gamespot: 80
Whether exploring the full potential of a single element or throwing things at the wall to see what sticks, I've got the itch to join the creator's club. Mario Maker 2 makes the learning process intuitive and enjoyable. Most importantly, it's enabled designers amateur and professional alike to share their creativity with the world. The community is off to a great start, and thankfully, the fun has only just begun.

Last edited:

KlLZz3C.png

Want your username and friend code added here so other GAF members can easily find your creator profile and play your courses? Then quote this line of text and reply with your friend code and name so I can add you to the list!

Pimentel1: SW-7426-0314-1814
Raph64: SW-0626-6693-5015

CxHdzoK.png

Want your courses added here for everyone to look and gawk at? Then simply quote this part of the post, type in your 9-digit course code once you've uploaded it along with the course name and game theme used (Mario Bros, Mario Bros 3, 3D World, etc) and I'll add it to the list!

CLASSIC MARIO BROS COURSES (SMB, SMB3, SMW, NEW MARIO BROS)

AGENT UNKNOWN | HJP-3XB-KWG | COOL COOL MOUNTAIN COUNTERATTACK | SMW

BOXOCTOSIS | 590-5QR-2NG | QUICK RACE AT NIGHT | NSMB
BOXOCTOSIS | PCH-B8M-XTG | THE SOUNDS OF THE UNDERGROUND | SMW
BOXOCTOSIS | BW8-MT7-JYG | VOLCANO!!! | SMW

CLOUDSTRIFE_CA | FTQ-TBN-7KF | WORLD 1-1 SMB-R | SMB3
CLOUDSTRIFE_CA | CQW-NV7-KWF | WORLD 1-2 SMB-R | SMB3
CLOUDSTRIFE_CA | VRN-D7D-57G | WORLD 1-3 SMB-R | SMB3
CLOUDSTRIFE_CA | SX1-TMT-HGF | WORLD 1-4 SMB-R | SMB3

CORKSCREW | CYR-SV8-M3G | SUPER SPIKE SWAMP | SMB

CULEBRA 64 | XNQ-B91-DTG | RICOCHET MADNESS | SMB

DRYVBY | 7V2-8HC-8DG | SUPER DRYVBY | SMB3

JUKE JOINT JEZEBEL | 9TK-SF1-9HG | SIZZLING SUMMIT SEIGE | SMB3
JUKE JOINT JEZEBEL | K51-BW5-BLG | SKYWARD SCUFFLE | SMB3
JUKE JOINT JEZEBEL | RG0-6G6-RLG | ARCTIC LIFTS | SMB
JUKE JOINT JEZEBEL | Y0L-RGT-BJG | OILRIG ORDEAL | SMB3

MEGAMANARACATI | YT2-79S-8TG | GOLD LEVEL | NSMB
MEGAMANARACATI | 93B-QFS-KYG | FUN MARIO LEVEL | NSMB

NICHOLASVH | 6RH-YVD-50G | SNOWY POO | SMW

PIMENTEL | 2PK-D1D-BKF | SAVE YOSHI FROM THE EVIL VOLCANO | SMW
PIMENTEL | 3VM-6XV-TQG | OPERATION: SAVE YOSHI | SMW
PIMENTEL | 0JH-2DM-68G | YOSHI'S 4TH JULY CELEBRATION | NSMB
PIMENTEL1 | M53-WMW-5KG | YOSHI STUCK IN A TREE | NSMB

REDWHITEBLUE | LWX-XGG-B2G | JUST JUMP | SMB
REDWHITEBLUE | DLK-LTB-YTG | RED KOOPA MOUNTAINS | SMB
REDWHITEBLUE | GHY-K1K-MDG | BOWSER'S WOODS | NSMB

ROBIN64 | 1K5-WHL-81G | HAUNTED SAWBLADE ASCENT | SMB3
ROBIN64 | 0ST-RCS-P0G | FROSTFIRE FORTRESS | SMB3
ROBIN64 | 8L4-354-4VF | STORMING THE PIRATE FLEET | SMB

SHAQAZOOLOO | VM2-JTN-DRG | ROOMS OF BOOMS | SMW

SEJAN | VY1-3XB-QNG | CLAW-SOME SKY LEVEL | SMW
SEJAN | K19-FSX-XTG | AIRSHIP MAYHEM | SMB3
SEJAN | TPY-9T3-8YF | FISH AT NIGHT | NSMB

SIMBABBAD | YBT-0GY-80H | OLD SCHOOL SUPER MARIO (PLAINS) | SMB
SIMBABBAD | YS2-77Q-81G | A TRIP TO PAC-LAND (UNDERWATER) | SMB
SIMBABBAD | WT5-ST2-1XG | A TRIP TO PAC-LAND (CASTLE) | SMB
SIMBABBAD | TJ7-K8M-FHG | CASTLE EXPRESS | SMB
SIMBABBAD | 9GV-H18-79G | STONE, FIRE, SPIKES AND MAGIC | SMB
SIMBABBAD | 58B-4C4-9SF | ESCAPE FROM ANOTHER CASTLE | SMB

SOCKSFELLOFF | MXS-NTB-DBG | HOUSES OF THE HOLY | SMW
SOCKSFELLOFF | 2F9-JQK-VVG | ICE AND FIRE | SMW

TAPIOKA | 3J8-5HM-BVG | COME ON BENNET, LET'S PARTY! | SMW
TAPIOKA | 3NB-PW3-MLG | PUT THAT COOKIE DOWN, NOW! | NSMB

TKSCZ | NGR-10W-M0G | RETURN TO LAKITU'S HIDEOUT | SMB3

VAWN | 2Y9-NV1-NWG | HOT DAYS / COLD NIGHTS | NSMB

XANDACA | H05-133-BQF | SWITCH SMASH TUNNELS | NSBU

ZERO GRAVITY | 55B-TF9-9VG | VISIT THE THWOMP HOMEWORLD - SMW
ZERO GRAVITY |YCT-6CF-MHF | DESERT LAND PENITENTIARY | SMB3
ZERO GRAVITY | W8V-9GF-QSF | BOB-OMB BROADWALK | SMB3
ZERO GRAVITY | W46-LYD-GTG - SAWMILL SCRAMBLE - NSMB
ZERO GRAVITY | LBY-FX5-BTG - SHIPYARD SCUFFLE - SWM

93XFAN | 0Q0-3KH-H1G | SUNDOWN | SMB3
93XFAN | 48B-85G-V3G | STAR IMPROVISER | SMB3

MARIO 3D WORLD COURSES

JUKE JOINT JEZEBEL | 9TR W5P KGF | HIGH ROAD HUSTLE |
JUKE JOINT JEZEBEL | L91-HDQ-RGG | JUNGLE JUMBLE |

SEJAN | KFH-MK3-NWF | DON'T TOUCH THE GROUND |

SHAQAZOOLOO | C2P-S9G-1LG | SNOWY SHOVE-OFF |

TKSCZ | SDR-228-8NF | TRICKY DESERT TRIALS |

XANDACA | T1H-RPY-61G | BELL TREE PLAINS |

ZERO GRAVITY | VX4-MKB-77G | CLEAR PIPE CASTLE |
ZERO GRAVITY | 1H2-QPD-XHF | SIX GOLDEN COINS |

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Great op!

It will just be a 100-level-2D-Mario for me (no online subscriptions), but I still look forward to that :).

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Really excited for this. Is a bummer about how multiplayer functions right now, but hopefully they fix it pretty quick like they seem to intend to do

I think my first goal will be to try and recreate my favorite level I built in MM1 with some MM2 improvements.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Awesome OT. I don't have Switch Online and don't plan on getting it, but I've been curious to see what people's single player impressions are.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Nice OT! I'm really looking forward to playing this! Have had it preloaded for a while.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I was more of a player for MM1 so I think I'm gonna try to dive into creation more on this one.

pimentel1

Banned

KlLZz3C.png

Want your username and friend code added here so other GAF members can easily find your creator profile and play your courses? Then quote this line of text and reply with your friend code and name so I can add you to the list!

CxHdzoK.png

Want your courses added here for everyone to look and gawk at? Then simply quote this part of the post, type in your 9-digit course code once you've uploaded it along with the course name and game theme used (Mario Bros, Mario Bros 3, 3D World, etc) and I'll add it to the list!

CLASSIC MARIO BROS COURSES (SMB, SMB3, SMW, NEW MARIO BROS)

USERNAME | 000-000-000 | COURSE NAME | THEME

MARIO 3D WORLD COURSES

USERNAME | 000-000-000 | COURSE NAME | THEME

9 tonight baby!!!

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
? this comes out tonight? is that in a specific region? i pre ordered and it said 6-28

It’s already Thursday in some parts of the world so it will unlock at midnight there for those folks. Technically unlocks Friday, but people tend to say “tonight” even for things after midnight.

Shaqazooloo

Nice OT.
I'll probably start out by making traditional Mario levels and then start mixing in Kaizo levels here and their.

pimentel1

Banned
Been playing story mode. Pretty fun and challenging. Took me 15 lives to figure out how to get past the ghost house where u can’t jump or fall and land.

Last edited:

ZeroGravity

First thing I wanted to do was test how well making levels with a pro controller felt. Thankfully it's a lot better than I thought it was going to be, though there's a definite learning curve and dragging things across long distances is a slog.

Shaqazooloo

I have to wait until I'm off work to play it, thankfully today hasn't been that bad so I'll probably get off early. Can't wait to get home and get creating!

pimentel1

Banned
26% done with story mode, and i’ve unlocked a few costumes for course creator. The courses, mixing smb 1, 3, world, nsmb, and 3d world is entertaining. It really feels like it should be called Mario Generations.

26% done with story mode, and i’ve unlocked a few costumes for course creator. The courses, mixing smb 1, 3, world, nsmb, and 3d world is entertaining. It really feels like it should be called Mario Generations.
What sort of unlockables are there for the level creator?

DarthPablo

Neo Member
So I bought this for my nephew for his birthday. He doesn’t have the online subscription. I’m thinking about buying this, but I have a question. Can I download some courses, and play them with him in Handheld? Or is that not possible?

iconmaster

Banned
Okay, this is probably the best evidence yet that the game supports local multiplayer on a single Switch.

8SdDd7D.jpg

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Can we all focus on making fun, normal courses and not that quirky, torture-chamber shit that was all the rage in Mario Maker 1?
1505214521-giphy-10.gif

Shifty

I just unlocked this from story mode for course creator: some kind of special fire flower. had to complete some purple toad tasks with a spiny shell.
Oh neat, it's the fire flower equivalent from Super Mario Land on the Game Boy.

Can we all focus on making fun, normal courses and not that quirky, torture-chamber shit that was all the rage in Mario Maker 1?
1505214521-giphy-10.gif

456932.jpg

Says the poster with the Father Gascoigne avatar. You get all the torture chamber shit now.

I have spent 12 hours on the game and it unlocked yesterday night. Going to finally go to sleep but honestly this game is brilliant and I cannot want to start playing more peoples creations.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Story mode levels are a lot of fun. Only through 17 of them and already some really clever puzzles etc. I love how different even the Nintendo made stages are for typical Mario gams.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
this game is so good! had a lot of fun playing Story Mode. the levels are really cool. some of them we spent a lot of time on figuring out. the new theme looks amazing. building levels is fine w the pro controller.

the story mode levels are worth the price of the game. they are really really good, worthy of a mainline Mario game! my favorite is in SMB NES dungeon style level with rising and falling lava. you have to jump in a shell and use it to float through past all kinds of traps. it was this crazy boat journey for og Mario.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Exactly what I'm doing, trying to keep them as close to actual mario courses as possible. Speaking off, got a Mario Bros 3 sky level made, here's the code! Try and find the hidden Doomship.

K51-BW5-BLG - Skyward Scuffle
I look forward to trying it out.

Top Bottom