• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker 2 |OT|:- Kaizo or Casual? Who cares! Let's Create, Play and Share!

pimentel1

Banned
Man Level 45 Lava Rising in story mode was a pain. Kind of BS to as there wasn’t a clear indication that
the lava would recede if you waited in the middle of the last section. I kept trying to go faster and you can’t make it that way.
was getting super salty until I checked a video online.

The one that gets me are some of the no jump or fall levels. there’s one later on where you’re in a snow field and you can’t jump.

Acidizer

Banned
If you don't want to make your own levels - and even don't want to download other peoples levels - is this game useless or what?

Desperate to play 2D Mario again, but not buying a Switch until the mini comes out.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
If you don't want to make your own levels - and even don't want to download other peoples levels - is this game useless or what?

Desperate to play 2D Mario again, but not buying a Switch until the mini comes out.

Tons of fun playing others levels, even if you never make any. But if that doesn’t appeal to you I’d skip it. The 100 Nintendo made levels are fun, but you’re probably looking at five hours max to beat them. So rental at best in that case.

But if you love 2D Mario it’s a blast having a never ending supply of user made levels to play through. Sticking to popular levels and using tags to find the types you enjoy makes it pretty easy to find enjoyable ones to play.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.

well there is a story mode but it's just short levels. not sure how long it is but probably not worth buying just for that. if you have no interest in making/playing custom levels then it's not for you.

Would love some feedback on this one:

Cool Cool Mountain Counterattack

HJP-3XB-KWG

Where you will face....

qSU6wtE.jpg

-SMW Winter theme

-Autoscrolling shmup

Mario receives a top secret mission from Princess Peach. The nefarious Captain Bobomb has invaded the skies above Cool Cool Mountain and has amassed a fleet of Bobombs, Fire Pirahnas, Chomps and Rocky Wrenches in order to make his own stronghold within the painting which he will use to oppose even Bowser and gradually take over the castle. Use your shooting skills to navigate icy cold skies, snowy volcanos and Fire Car enabled baddies, “enemy cruisers” with destructible “cores,” a mini boss fight and the finale where you're challenged to an intense, Gradius style “escape the base” gauntlet before confronting Captain Bobomb himself. Features bullet hell action and occasional lite puzzle elements.

This is a recreation of a shmup level I made in MM1. This is a very tough stage, if you don’t like bullet hell style games you will probably not like it. However if you like bullet hell style games and shmups that reward you for patiently memorizing and learning enemy and obstacle patterns then you may really enjoy it. There are two checkpoints. I spent about three hours last night remaking it and refining it to be a bit easier in some places with some areas reworked and new elements such as Banzai Bills, a new mini boss (original only had one boss) and on/off switch. If you’re curious to see what the original stage was like here is the original MM1 code:

Assuming it still works: 6850-0000-0188-9B5

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
so for some of these story mode levels, are you supposed to use the building blocks to finish them? some of the levels, like the one with yoshi and the stone, i could not figure out how to legitimately finish, and had to place blocks to make it work.

Milpool

so for some of these story mode levels, are you supposed to use the building blocks to finish them? some of the levels, like the one with yoshi and the stone, i could not figure out how to legitimately finish, and had to place blocks to make it work.

All story mode levels are doable without using building blocks.

#Phonepunk#

Banned

past 1 hour goofing around with a friend i haven't spent any time making levels and have still been having a blast. the 100 story mode levels are really cool. a bunch of them are puzzles and they can take a long time to complete if you don't already know the solution. so even tho there are some you will beat in, say, 30 seconds, there are others you will spend over 10 minutes on. the one where you are sailing a shell boat through the rising/falling sea of lava in Bowser's castle in SMB1 was beyond fun.

it's really cool cos they are in all different styles, so it is almost like Mario roulette. it is always fresh, you are constantly getting hit by nostalgia for one era after another (hearing the SMW music start up always bring a smile to my face).

it is maybe my favorite way to play Mario games. it is like having a bunch of classic consoles plugged into a TV and playing alternate dimension versions of these classic games, switching from one console to the next, like channel surfing or something.

there is also the new style, which is the HD 2.5D 3D World look. it is kind of like if Super Mario Odyssey was made into a 2D Mario game. it looks very shiny, very high budget, very modern. lot of levels like this. but if it's not enough for you, you can pay a low yearly rate for access to INFINITE MARIO LEVELS.

Last edited:

xandaca

After no fewer than four complete redesigns, my second level is now up for your perusal. It's a standard underground level in single-player - harder than my previous one, but straightforward for most decent Mario players - but there's a minor twist in multiplayer where if players diverge onto different paths (each basically the same otherwise) you can screw with each other using ON/OFF switches and occasionally send additional hazards each other's way. Unfortunately I couldn't test it in multi myself, but there's nothing which shouldn't work. Here are the details, reply to this comment with your level code and maker name if you want to exchange likes. Since it's 1.40am in the UK now, I'll likely play them tomorrow. Have fun!

Switch Smash Tunnels
Code:
H05-133-BQF
Style: NSMBU
Difficulty: Easy

And its predecessor:

Bell Tree Plains
Code:
T1H-RPY-61G
Style: 3D World
Difficulty: Easy
Description: A 1-1 style level with 5x Ten Coins and 1x 1up Mushroom to collect. Emphasis on exploration and fun rather than difficulty.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
Loving the game, but I hate the comments that pop up as I’m playing a level. Any way to disable viewing them?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Would love some feedback on this one:

Cool Cool Mountain Counterattack

HJP-3XB-KWG

Where you will face....

qSU6wtE.jpg

-SMW Winter theme

-Autoscrolling shmup

cool level. this is a good idea. it could use some more enemies or obstacles, there is a lot of empty space for an auto scroller. the lack of midway point made it very frustrating when i died after entering the pipe. also the first time i missed the P switch i ended up trapped, unable to die even, and had to restart the level manually. IMO such a no-win scenario should at least have a way for Mario to kill himself, if only to allow the player to vent their frustration ;-)

i played through a bunch of levels from this thread tonight, they were all pretty good! the levels by ZeroGravity and Juke Joint Jezebel from page 2 in particular are really good. Operation: Save Yoshi was tons of fun to figure out so good job pimentel1.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Loving the game, but I hate the comments that pop up as I’m playing a level. Any way to disable viewing them?

Yep. Somewhere in the pause menu I believe. Or settings in the course world area. Sorry, don't remember exactly where, but it wasn't hard to find when it was annoying me last week.:messenger_beaming:

Edit: It’s in the pause menu when playing a course. Uncheck it and it will stay off unless you turn it back in.

Last edited by a moderator:

pimentel1

Banned
A Agent Unknown That was a long level. Had me sweating bullets even with the checkpoints! Good work! Love the graphic you drew. Truly represents the wild ride.

X xandaca Levels felt like real Super Mario levels! Downloaded both. The switch one had me on my toes at the end.

S socksfellof I tried. I can’t beat it. Holy shit that’s hard.

Last edited:

Z..

I have no patience to be checking this out so I'll just ask here... is the level finding system fixed or is it still the same crap as SMM1? I have no interest in level making at all so unless the level finding system has been severely overhauled I'll be giving this a skip, the original was too frustrating to deal with...

Tapioka

Neo Member
I made my first level today and I'm really surprised how much fun I had. I'd rate it medium difficulty with a bit of puzzle platforming. Give it a try!

Gave it the first clear! But: You're way off with your estimation of medium difficulty. For the average Mario player this is a really tough, probably near unbeatable level. For the Kaizo-hardened veteran, yea, it's medium.

Some things I noticed: I can never get the first set of jumps to line up. I always bounce on the first two plants, then dive under the third one and spin jump back up. Intended or am I doing it wrong?

I'm also not a fan of blind or nearly blind deaths. The drop into the saw section wasn't my favorite part ;).

Last thing: I didn't use the switch near the end. I jumped on top of it and from there on the red Koopa and to the goal. Probably not intended? I guess you wanted me to hit the switch with the green Koopa shell and then jump from the switch platform. Well, I didn't do any of that. I guess I cheesed it.

Overall it was good fun and a nice challenge! I added you to my favorites and will check back for new levels every now and then.

Tesseract

Banned
hey guys feel free to upload some vids of your favorite levels and stuff, the switch - less peasants who love mario thank you

xandaca

A Agent Unknown That was a long level. Had me sweating bullets even with the checkpoints! Good work! Love the graphic you drew. Truly represents the wild ride.

X xandaca Levels felt like real Super Mario levels! Downloaded both. The switch one had me on my toes at the end.

S socksfellof I tried. I can’t beat it. Holy shit that’s hard.

Thanks for playing my levels, happy you enjoyed them. If you have any of your own, send me the codes and I'd be happy to try them out and relay thoughts.

I've put together 2 levels so far and hope to do atleast 8, maybe more. I've been keeping to a Mario 3 theme but I will branch out within the other options especially Mario 3D World... why is Mario 2 still getting the shaft btw? My levels are geared more towards the classic style of play vs. the crazy things you might find in Mario Maker levels. I feel like my levels are well thought out though and visually appealing in terms of classic style of play, so if you're looking for new stuff to play FTQ-TBN-7KF 'World 1-1 SMB-R' and CQW-NV7-KWF 'World 1-2 SMB-R', if you feel like throwing some feedback my way in terms of what you thought, what you would like to see improved, let me know on this thread and your feedback is appreciated!

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I finished rebuilding the castle and got the credits. Working on the post game stuff now and was happy to see there was more to do than just rather remainder of the 100 states in that menu. The soundfrog part was amusing and the third level from it was pretty wild.

ZeroGravity

Here's another batch of courses I've made since the last ones:

55B-TF9-9VG - Visit the Thwomp Homeworld - SMW
YCT-6CF-MHF - Desert Land Penitentiary - SMB3
1H2-QPD-XHF - Six Golden Coins - SM3DW
W8V-9GF-QSF - Bob-omb Boardwalk - SMB3

Have one other course I've working on but will probably focus more on playing stages after that, don't want to get too burned out on making them.

Been loving the game, making levels with peeps, exploring the stuff others made and story mode.

I uploaded two creations, would love some feedback:

Easy Way Out -- YH3-SND-SLF
To complete the level isn't too difficult, but the alt path with a hidden message is much trickier.

Déjà Vu -- 6H5-L28-S1H
Evasive platforming, pretty even difficulty across the board.

pimentel1

Banned
Phatzo Phatzo thank goodness for that hidden mushroom at the beginning.

CloudStrife_ca CloudStrife_ca World 1-1 was fun. World 1-2 amazing design. good shit. Downloaded.

ZeroGravity ZeroGravity Thowmp Homeworld taught me some much needed thwomp bouncing skills. thanks!
Desert Land Penitentiary was good. didn’t realize you could decorate the end like that. More Thwomps! Six Golden coins nice challenge. Bombard Boardwalk nice challenge lining up the thwomps with the bombs.

C Culebra 64 Easy way out. No it’s not. Beat it! Very tough. I beat Deja Vu without the key. Good challenge!

Sejan

Hoping to try a bunch of levels from this community. Here's a few of mine. I try to make levels that feel like they would be a part of a traditional Mario game that are challenging and fair. Most of my levels have had a 10%-25% clear rate so far.

Maker ID
Gurchiek
4NY-PJ2-0HF

Claw-Some Sky Level
VY1-3XB-QNG
This is a sky level themed around the swinging claw item. I tried to start the level pretty easy with a gradual increase in difficulty as you make your way through the stage.

Don't Touch the Ground
KFH-MK3-NWF
This level plays with the alternate victory conditions. In this level you have to jump at the very beginning without touching the ground until you hit the flagpole. Should be a decent normal to hard difficulty level.

Airship Mayhem
K19-FSX-XTG
This is a short airship level. I decided to test sub areas.

Fish at Night
This was my first level. Make your way through the forest at night dodging fish.
TPY-9T3-8YF

xandaca

Latest level. Won't have time to play others tonight, but if you play mine, quote this with the name and code of the level you'd like me to play.

Treetop Trail
Code: VMB-0HL-HTG
Style:
SMB
Difficulty: Medium
Description: Tree-themed level with multiple paths, all different but based around similar mechanics. A step up in difficulty from my previous levels, but experienced Mario players shouldn't find it exceptionally difficult. Ten coins and 1ups are the main rewards.

PREVIOUS LEVELS
Switch Smash Tunnels -
H05-133-BQF.
Bell Tree Plains - T1H-RPY-61G.

C Culebra 64 Easy way out. No it’s not. Beat it! Very tough. I beat Deja Vu without the key. Good challenge!
[/QUOTE]

That's awesome! I hadn't even thought of that... you used the cloud and got over the flag I'm guessing??

#Phonepunk# #Phonepunk#

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry to hear about the unfortunate glitch you ran into. I play tested the stage many times before uploading it and didn’t run into that. Also, there were more enemies in some spots but they got removed both in order to balance out the difficulty a bit and also because I kept hitting my limit quota for useable enemies! As I said in my original post if you’re curious you can use the other code in spoiler tags to see what the original stage was like in MM 1.

pimentel1 pimentel1

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it. :D

Codes 208

Ive never played a .exe game before (but i used to watch pbggamer and space hamster play them) but holy shit, 1-1.exe is legit.

I also dont care for auto-scroll musical levels but that Kirby: Gourmet Race was a breath of fresh air for being an actual level (albeit short)

Last edited:

boxoctosis

I made some levels! Would appreciate anyone playing them / feedback.

I was particularly pleased with Volcano!!! - a level that recreates recent tragic events in Italy with the eruption of Stromboli.

Quick race at night - 590-5QR-2NG
The Sounds of the Underground - PCH-B8M-XTG
Volcano!!! - BW8-MT7-JYG

nicktwilight

Neo Member
Iam joining into the mario maker 2 club too!Working on a new stage and I will add it when its done.Looking forward to play all of your stages too.

Shaqazooloo

VM2-JTN-DRG: Rooms of Booms (Super Mario World)

I really like how this one turned out. It's somewhat difficult, I had to keep the enemy count down so people won't get overwhelmed, I think I found a nice balance but i'm not %100

pimentel1

Banned
Been playing endless mario on easy and normal. some are tougher than i imagined, and i guess it’s good to put a 1-up mushroom in your levels to help other players out.

Game FINALLY arrived today!

Made and uploaded my first level at lunch time.

Just Jump
ID: LWX-XGG-B2G

Very basic course. Looking forward to playing and making more later.

Gave it the first clear! But: You're way off with your estimation of medium difficulty. For the average Mario player this is a really tough, probably near unbeatable level. For the Kaizo-hardened veteran, yea, it's medium.

Some things I noticed: I can never get the first set of jumps to line up. I always bounce on the first two plants, then dive under the third one and spin jump back up. Intended or am I doing it wrong?

I'm also not a fan of blind or nearly blind deaths. The drop into the saw section wasn't my favorite part ;).

Last thing: I didn't use the switch near the end. I jumped on top of it and from there on the red Koopa and to the goal. Probably not intended? I guess you wanted me to hit the switch with the green Koopa shell and then jump from the switch platform. Well, I didn't do any of that. I guess I cheesed it.

Overall it was good fun and a nice challenge! I added you to my favorites and will check back for new levels every now and then.

Hey thanks for the feedback! After watching some friends play it I think you're totally right. Unless you're into kaizo my level feels like a gauntlet of punishment.

If you get P speed and jump off the first plant right as it touches the ground you can. Grab all 3 coins and land up at the door.

I thought the saw section was a little cheesy and made it much easier then it initially was. I do show you the saw blade before you get to that section though ! I figured it would only cause 1 death then you'd know to avoid it.

I realized after that you can just jump on the switch block. It wasn't intended but either way it's a pretty tricky jump !

Again, thanks for the feedback!

Last edited:
Top Bottom