• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker 3D: Will it happen?

Super Mario Maker 3D: Will it happen?

• Of course it will!

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Don't think so

Votes: 21 46.7%
  • Nintendo will release F-Zero first

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • I rather they work on a new Mario 3D game

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Kill the franchise already

Votes: 5 11.1%

• Total voters

RCU005

I don't know if it was due to Mario 35th anniversary, but last year I was all over Mario games. I've spent many hours watching people playing levels in Super Mario Maker 2 and I love it. (I haven't been able to get it, but the game is very fun). I was very surprised how Nintendo went beyond everyone's expectation for SMM2 specially with the updates that follow. They put a lot of content there and it made an incredible game better.

Last year I played a lot of Mario 3D games, and I couldn't think of anything else but how a SMM 3D would be so awesome. Now I'm playing Super Mario 3D World and there's a lot of stuff that could be done in a new SMM.

It also makes sense. It's the third one and of course they would definitely call it Super Mario Maker 3D. Is there a chance Nintendo is making it? There's a lot they could still do with 2D, but the more logical and natural evolution for the franchise is to go 3D.

I'm going to use this to ask: What would your expectations be for the game? What features would you like the game to have? What visual styles? etc. Post all your ideas.

jaysius

Banned
3D is far trickier, there are different performance targets depending on what you're trying to do, the Switch is dreadfully underpowered, maybe we'll have to wait for Nintendo's next machine for a 3D game. It's also trickier for placing enemies in a 3D space because they need different behaviors. You also need lighting to be different too.

It's much harder to make a good 3D world than it is a 2D one.

It could be done, but look how long it took Nintendo to make the 2D Mario Maker, even after ages of Sony's own Little Big Planet tools.

TL;DR: It'd be cool but it's much more complicated than a 2D game.

Last edited:

Jeeves

I think people asking for this underestimate how much more goes into making a good level in 3D. You've seen Mario Maker, most gamers barely even know how to make a 2D level worthy of an NES-era LJN game. I don't think most of the people asking for it are prepared to actually design levels in 3D even with a Mario Maker interface to do it through.

I say this as a huge Mario Maker fan myself.

Codes 208

I think people asking for this underestimate how much more goes into making a good level in 3D. You've seen Mario Maker, most gamers barely even know how to make a 2D level worthy of an NES-era LJN game. I don't think most of the people asking for it are prepared to actually design levels in 3D even with a Mario Maker interface to do it through.

I say this as a huge Mario Maker fan myself.
Minecraft, Dreams, Little Big planet, project spark (back when that was a thing) and even halo’s forge mode have proven to me that with the right tools and creativity, it’s very much possible. Not that everyone wants or needs legit levels.

Minecraft, Dreams, Little Big planet, project spark (back when that was a thing) and even halo’s forge mode have proven to me that with the right tools and creativity, it’s very much possible. Not that everyone wants or needs legit levels.
Minecraft generates most of the level for you...and a made a double take at LBP. LBP is still basically just a 2D sidescroller, it's just 3 2D layers stacked.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Came here to argue that Dreams proved a 3D Mario Maker would be a bad idea, but y'know, given how limited the toolset would actually be, I could see a world where it's a possibility.

Now, a 2D Zelda maker...

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
No, it won't happen. Or at the very least I hope it doesn't happen.

3D is infinitely harder to make good levels out of and seeing how even faux-3D levels like in Little Big Planet tend to be mostly trash, I just can't see it being done well. Dreams is on a whole other level of garbage content with maybe a handful of half decent creations - none of which are actual games, but more experiences.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Nope. Nintendo (almost) has a sense of disdain for 2D Mario. They shuffled it to Mario Maker so that the fans can make their own. No need to go beyond 'desert' and 'water' and 'castle' and so forth.

On the other hand, 3D Mario is like their Disney summer blockbuster. They pour every ounce of creativity and quirkiness into it, which is very difficult to replicate in a toolset that the public uses. No replicated backgrounds and world-themes here! In an alternative timeline where 3D Land/3D World were massive hits, the format of those games would be the easiest to make a 3d level.

DrAspirino

Banned
3D is far trickier, there are different performance targets depending on what you're trying to do, the Switch is dreadfully underpowered, maybe we'll have to wait for Nintendo's next machine for a 3D game. It's also trickier for placing enemies in a 3D space because they need different behaviors. You also need lighting to be different too.

It's much harder to make a good 3D world than it is a 2D one.

It could be done, but look how long it took Nintendo to make the 2D Mario Maker, even after ages of Sony's own Little Big Planet tools.

TL;DR: It'd be cool but it's much more complicated than a 2D game.
Just imagine how hard it would be to build a 3D troll level

troll dancing GIF

Banjo64

cumsessed
Great concept but I have zero faith that I should spend £40 on it when Nintendo shut the servers down on the first game, rendering it worthless.

Nope. The average gamer is too stupid to create even a simplified 3D world.
I don’t think too stupid is correct. I bet most gamers could get pretty good at complicated tools like this, or even Dreams. But, the commitment that would take to learn would not be deemed worth the effort to most.

BlackTron

Nope. Nintendo (almost) has a sense of disdain for 2D Mario. They shuffled it to Mario Maker so that the fans can make their own. No need to go beyond 'desert' and 'water' and 'castle' and so forth.

On the other hand, 3D Mario is like their Disney summer blockbuster. They pour every ounce of creativity and quirkiness into it, which is very difficult to replicate in a toolset that the public uses. No replicated backgrounds and world-themes here! In an alternative timeline where 3D Land/3D World were massive hits, the format of those games would be the easiest to make a 3d level.

Disdain? You really think so? Even though sales of 2D Mario games utterly destroy the 2D titles?

Maybe the developers dislike 2D Mario at this point, but the office above their heads sure doesn't...

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Disdain? You really think so? Even though sales of 2D Mario games utterly destroy the 2D titles?

Maybe the developers dislike 2D Mario at this point, but the office above their heads sure doesn't...
Just compare the marketing for an upcoming 3D title versus a 2D title, to say nothing of the difference in creativity invested into 3D compared to 2D, which is mired in the same 7-8 types of worlds in perpetuity.

I'm sure the Nintendo shareholders and board of directors appreciate the sales. Apparently Iwata had to strongarm the team into making New Super Mario Bros Wii (one of the best-selling games of all time) after the success of the DS one, which was also a runaway surprise success.

BlackTron

Just compare the marketing for an upcoming 3D title versus a 2D title, to say nothing of the difference in creativity invested into 3D compared to 2D, which is mired in the same 7-8 types of worlds in perpetuity.

I'm sure the Nintendo shareholders and board of directors appreciate the sales. Apparently Iwata had to strongarm the team into making New Super Mario Bros Wii (one of the best-selling games of all time) after the success of the DS one, which was also a runaway surprise success.

I had a feeling that in a way Nintendo resents that a copy/pasted 2D title blows away their "best work", such that they intentionally hold back 2D games as not to steal even more thunder from 3D. I imagine Miyamoto feels this way, I may even have read something about it a long time ago. But I didn't really consider that Miyamoto=Nintendo at large.

But this is a perfect example of the hubris at Nintendo HQ. Looking at how badly people are clamoring for 2D Mario games, a truly new addition with a new art style and brimming with creativity could sell as much as NSMBU, 3D World and Odyssey combined, over the course of a gen.

In this way, they are neither "we just do what makes money" nor are they "we just do what the fans want". They are simply "we do what we want take it or leave it" lol.

IronLich

I honestly don't see it in the cards. You're asking for styles based from 64, Sunshine, Galaxy. Odyssey, all of that crammed into one level creator, and all of those games play way different than one another compared to 2D Mario Maker. I imagine making a single Galaxy in a Mario Maker type would be a nightmare of both proper physics and in-house playtesting to capture the literal gravity of the situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
not a chance imho
what makes 3D world so interesting is they add new gameplay mechanics in almost every level and then build upon that
I just don't think players could make that interesting of levels vs. the game designers with more flexibility, you'd end up seeing a bunch of boring same-ey levels i feel

Top Bottom