• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker - 99 Amiibo Costumes. Confirmed unlockable without amiibo

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I hope one of these costumes is a reference to the Mario Paint stamps what with all the Mario Paint references littered through the game.

I want to play as the mysterious floating baby face.

Scribble

The unlockable element is great, because it provides some incentive for playing levels. I mean, I'm sure the 100 Mario Challenge will be a fun experience in itself, but unlocking amiibo creates synergy between playing and making. And if the only unlockables are the Amiibo costumes, it's a much neater way of doing this than LBP where I always had the feeling that I was missing out on a better object or sticker.

Allowing goombas or lakitus to wear the costumes to make simple Nintendo enemies would knock the ball out of the park. The costumes being draggable might make this a possibility?
If Lakitus could throw magic mushrooms that would also be cool.

Robin64

What happens if I use the Wooly Yoshi amiibo? Do I get regular 8bit yoshi?

Very likely, though a little colour variation might be nice, like this.

GPMm3Np.png

ash_ag

Didn't see Pokémon support happening. Awesome!
Looking forward to seeing characters that get new 8-bit sprites, but there's also a certain charm in the existing retro ones that make their first appearance in a Mario game. The game feels like a big party.

convo

So these guys will only be the 8-bit sprites and no 16-bit or 3d form for the Mario world or NSMB sets correct?

That's what I'm talking about. Don't hate any content behind Amiibo, just fast rack the system if you have the Amiibo.

To bad there isn't artwork done for every Mario game. Would be awesome to play these characters in World.

JoeM86

I personally am going to make an amazing Pac-Man style level using the Pac-man amiibo I got yesterday for my birthday.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The unlockable element is great, because it provides some incentive for playing levels. I mean, I'm sure the 100 Mario Challenge will be a fun experience in itself, but unlocking amiibo creates synergy between playing and making. And if the only unlockables are the Amiibo costumes, it's a much neater way of doing this than LBP where I always had the feeling that I was missing out on a better object or sticker.

Allowing goombas or lakitus to wear the costumes to make simple Nintendo enemies would knock the ball out of the park. The costumes being draggable might make this a possibility?
If Lakitus could throw magic mushrooms that would also be cool.
Now this would be incredible. Playing as Bowser and fighting Mario? Gimme!

Every time I read about this game I get more and more excited. I need a Wii U.

mindsale

Are Amiibos only styled in 8-bit sprites, or (unlikely) do they have the more detailed Mario 3 sprites, 16-bit World sprites, and contemporary polygonal looks in keeping with the game's multiple aesthetics?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Nope. Mystery (?) Mushroom is only available in the SMB theme. It changes to other theme exclusive items when you switch:
SMB: ? Mushroom
SMB3: Leaf
SMW: Feather
NSMBU: Propeller Mushroom.

Put something like this in the OP please so people know the ? Mushroom is SMB only.

hazukash

Toon Link and Link better have different sprites because my amiibos want some love. I guess I should hurry to find a Wario amiibo as well.

SeanR1221

Are Amiibos only styled in 8-bit sprites, or (unlikely) do they have the more detailed Mario 3 sprites, 16-bit World sprites, and contemporary polygonal looks in keeping with the game's multiple aesthetics?

Only 8 bit but I would pay for all the other styles as dlc

I'm happy you can unlock them without amiibo. I was worried I'd miss out on a bunch of cool skins.

Neoxon

Even though it lists Pokémon Amiibo compatibility doesn't mean they'll actually work. Remember, they technically work in Yoshi's Woolly World, they just don't unlock anything special.

JoeM86

Even though it lists Pokémon Amiibo compatibility doesn't mean they'll actually work. Remember, they technically work in Yoshi's Woolly World, they just don't unlock anything special.

Japanese Nintendo site doesn't list Pokémon compatibility for Yoshi's Woolly World so logically they have some use

Neoxon

Japanese Nintendo site doesn't list Pokémon compatibility for Yoshi's Woolly World so logically they have some use
There are 99 costumes, which exceeds the number of known Amiibos (figures & cards). There's still the possibility that the Pokémon just unlocks one of the others randomly. I wouldn't celebrate just yet until we see a Pikachu sprite in-game.

Kouichi

This is one of my favorite features in Mario Maker. I really want to see the 8 bit Star Fox characters. My childhood self would be so jealous! If they play the SF64 Mission Accomplished theme when you complete a level, I'll die.

Oh my god if there is a Ryu costume, it better say shoryuken when you jump and hadouken when you shoot fireballs.

This is awesome and I don't even have an amiibo. Though I am constantly tempted by the Captain Toad and Splatoon amiibo...just because they unlock some dope shit for two great games.

Sephzilla

I'd go nuts if Nintendo would go the extra mile and make Mega Man straight up play like Mega Man.
His amiibo probably isn't even supported

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
I imagine the 8-bit Mario ones do the same thing, so 100 amiibo are compatible.

The 8-bit Mario amiibos give you the ability to put mega-mushrooms in the stage. When you pick one up, it turns you big, gives the enemies Mario hats and mustaches, and there is an effect that makes it look like you are playing on an old tv.

Edit: Here's a video of it: https://youtu.be/d9AX6T7VznM?t=14m24s

AgeEighty

I understand why the Peach and Bowser sprites aren't the original ones from SMB due to size constraints (at least in non-Super forms), but I wish they were at least visually consistent with those.

Cathcart

So I haven't really been paying attention to this thing. I don't really care about making my own levels and I don't have many Nintendofriends who will be doing so, either. Will there be some kind of browser in game that lets me see and rate stages made by other people (not just friends)?

What I'm thinking is maybe I'll just wait and pick it up in a year or so to play through the community's best courses. If that's an option.

Robin64

So I haven't really been paying attention to this thing. I don't really care about making my own levels and I don't have many Nintendofriends who will be doing so, either. Will there be some kind of browser in game that lets me see and rate stages made by other people (not just friends)?

What I'm thinking is maybe I'll just wait and pick it up in a year or so to play through the community's best courses. If that's an option.

Yep, there's a fully fledged course searcher dealy in the game, with user ratings and even difficulty rating applied automatically based on how many people can beat it.

1301465071281933454.png

Top Bottom