• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker - 99 Amiibo Costumes. Confirmed unlockable without amiibo

Finally, Pokemon amiibo compatibility! A shame they weren't greenlit for Woolly World, but I'll take it!

Very excited for this feature. I wanna see Ness!

greg400

Banned
Hopefully this trend of being able to unlock amiibo content without them continues, much better and similar to games like TF2 where you can outright buy items or unlock them in-game without spending anything.

JoeM86

I'm just happy to hear they are all unlockable in game.

As am I. I don't have all amiibo (yay self control), but it bugs me when I lack things. Super Mario Maker numbers the costumes and has them appear in number order when selecting so not having a full set would bug the hell out of me. Yoshi at least doesn't keep track of them like that, but if this didn't let you unlock them through other means, I'd go mad.
bvoOwpT.jpg

Teppic

That's good news. Hopefully not too hard or time consuming to unlock them without an amibo.

Only thing I don't like about the mystery mushrooms is how the sprites behaves. Like how Link is facing forwards when he jumps and Peach is facing forwards when she is climbing etc. Looks bad.

AdanVC

Ok, this is awesome! I don't know how Nintendo manages to make me 100% hyped everytime with their new games. At first I'm like "ehhhh, cool I guess" but then there's 1 month left for release I'm literally "Holyyyyy shit I can't wait!"

Hope that can be the same with games such as Star Fox Zero and... Chibbi Legos Prime Federation Force.

The best Sonic game in a very long time.

Dayuuum!

PBalfredo

I wonder if the Ness amiibo will use the Ninten sprite from EarthBound Beginnings, despite technically being a seperate character.

AdanVC

So guys, are you gonna be level creators or just level players? Or both? I'm planning n being both, I'm already thinking on ideas for some levels I want to create. I want to make them with tons of unexpected twists. I'm thinking on a level that you need to climb aaall the way up through tons of obstacles and enemies so that when you reach the very top. You grab a super star to fall all the way down with a path of enemies in your way so they lead you into the flagpole and grab it from the top. I'm gonna call that level: Stairway to Heaven.

Oh man hype!!!

Sephzilla

So guys, are you gonna be level creators or just level players? Or both? I'm planning n being both, I'm already thinking on ideas for some levels I want to create. I want to make them with tons of unexpected twists. I'm thinking on a level that you need to climb aaall the way up through tons of obstacles and enemies so that when you reach the very top. You grab a super star to fall all the way down with a path of enemies in your way so they lead you into the flagpole and grab it from the top. I'm gonna call that level: Stairway to Heaven.

Oh man hype!!!

I'm going to do both. I've been having level ideas since the World Championships. Though I'm not going to try to create Kaizo Mario tier kind of things, I want to try to create levels that feel as close to authentic Mario levels as possible.

nerdbot

Does this mean we can play as Sonic in a Mario game...does this mean they finally got Game Freak to let them use the amiibos in literally anything

Raitaro

Mega Man Maker

Yep, was my first thought as well! Hope they'll work with Capcom to salvage Mega Man Universe and turn that into a Mega Man Maker game.

Imagine if we not only could design levels but also place robot masters from all classic games in those levels and then determine which boss weapon will serve as the weakness for which boss. We would need to be able to create 6-8 levels as a set for that to work though.

Back on topic: am I the only one who feels it is a bit of a wasted opportunity that they aren't using the Zelda II sprite of Link (as far as I know), the one which is actually facing sideways and is big enough (and similarly proportioned to Super Mario) to have a small version? Weird how they went with the Zelda I one and make him jump sideways (apart from it being more iconic perhaps).

Sephzilla

Yep, was my first thought as well! Hope they'll work with Capcom to salvage Mega Man Universe and turn that into a Mega Man Maker game.

Gimme a Mega Man Maker where you can switch between classic 8-bit and 16-bit Mega Man X gameplay. C'mon Nintendo and Capcom, do the right thing!

Back on topic: am I the only one who feels it is a bit of a wasted opportunity that they aren't using the Zelda II sprite of Link (as far as I know), the one which is actually facing sideways and is big enough (and similarly proportioned to Super Mario) to have a small version? Weird how they went with the Zelda I one and make him jump sideways (apart from it being more iconic perhaps).

Yeah, I would have thought they'd use the Zelda 2 sprite as well.

Galang

Banned
This is awesome. Will use Lucina for sure. I wish they would have added it to the other styles too. I'd have absolutely loved all of these for World or the New style.

Zubz

Banned
That's kinda lame that the Leaf, Cape, and Propeller power-ups can't be used outside of their own games, honestly. I mean, it makes sense, but I just really wanted to use them in the other games! Still, that's fantastic to hear about the Pokemon; I wonder if GameFreak would be willing to let Nintendo patch them into Woolly World?

EDIT: Or, as Neoxon said, maybe the Pokemon just randomly unlock something else.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Sweet 8 bit Charizard in Mario Maker, I have to make a stage with him.

Also I like that they are unlockable in the game but you if you have the Amiibo you can bypass unlocking them and get them straight away.

That's really lame that the Leaf, Cape, and Propeller power-ups can't be used outside of their own games, honestly. Still, that's fantastic to hear about the Pokemon! I wonder if GameFreak would be willing to let Nintendo patch them into Woolly World?

Same, I really want to use Charizard in Woolly World. It just makes so much sense.

Nice to hear, especially with Pokemon. Im kind of surprised that Pokemon amiibo functionality has had to take a back seat with a lot of the games. I understand why, but even stuff like a puzzle for Streetpass took a long time to finally come out. Pokemon has always taken a back seat with Nintendo stuff it seems recently, unless it's Pikachu to represent the series in some capacity.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Nice to hear, especially with Pokemon. Im kind of surprised that Pokemon amiibo functionality has had to take a back seat with a lot of the games. I understand why, but even stuff like a puzzle for Streetpass took a long time to finally come out. Pokemon has always taken a back seat with Nintendo stuff it seems recently, unless it's Pikachu to represent the series in some capacity.

The Pokémon Company is difficult to work with at times, even Sakurai stated how hard getting the Pokémon in Smash Bros is no easy feat.

Are we only able to play 8 bit NES sprites from the Amiibos? Or do they change graphic styles like Mario?

Just 8 bit NES sprites.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Are we only able to play 8 bit NES sprites from the Amiibos? Or do they change graphic styles like Mario?

Only 8 bit. You add them to the levels with the mystery mushroom. The leaf, cape, and propeller hat take the place of the mystery mushroom in SMB3, SMW, and SMBU respectively.

JoeM86

99x3 sprites +99 3d models

Yeah not happening =(

More than just one sprite per character too.

You have standard.

You have the special up sprite

The walking animation

The jump animation

The flagpole grabbing animation

The swimming animation

Zomba13

I wish they had gameplay gimmicks instead of just being skins but it's still super cool they would go to the effort for this. I'd have loved if it turned the game into one of those mashup games where you can be mega man or link in a mario level and kill enemies or break blocks with Mega Man's shots or Link's sword.

Blues1990

For the novelty, I would love to see what Sonic, Mega Man, & Pac-Man look like in Super Mario Maker. It's pretty much a given that Mega Man will look like his NES sprite, though.

Zubz

Banned
For the novelty, I would love to see what Sonic, Mega Man, & Pac-Man look like in Super Mario Maker. It's pretty much a given that Mega Man will look like his NES sprite, though.

My guess is the classic Arcade pizza for Pac-Man, and if they want to push the fanservice route, the Game Gear sprite for Sonic.

Top Bottom