• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker - 99 Amiibo Costumes. Confirmed unlockable without amiibo

Robin64

For the novelty, I would love to see what Sonic, Mega Man, & Pac-Man look like in Super Mario Maker. It's pretty much a given that Mega Man will look like his NES sprite, though.

Nah, if you notice, people like Peach had NES sprites but they went for a fresh one for this because it needs to be 16x16 pixels. So Megaman, sadly, won't fit.

The sprites are cool, but the implementation is shitty IMO.

Them being a powerup that you get and can lose takes a lot from the novely. It would be much more interesting if they were characters you selected instead, and maybe even have variations for mushroom and fireflower.

And before someone claims it is too much work to do it, they would only need to do 100 additional sprites (big versions of the characters), as the fireflower is simply recoloring of the existent sprites, with at most the animation for throwing fireballs. Plus, they are 8-bit sprites, they shouldn't be that complex to make.

kunonabi

The sprites are cool, but the implementation is shitty IMO.

Them being a powerup that you get and can lose takes a lot from the novely. It would be much more interesting if they were characters you selected instead, and maybe even have variations for mushroom and fireflower.

And before someone claims it is too much work to do it, they would only need to do 100 additional sprites (big versions of the characters), as the fireflower is simply recoloring of the existent sprites, with at most the animation for throwing fireballs. Plus, they are 8-bit sprites, they shouldn't be that complex to make.

They should have been available for all modes as well even if the other artstyles need to be free post-release DLC.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm not exactly thrilled, because I have a major sinking feeling the unlock requirements are going to be difficult/tedious enough that for many, Amiibo may be the far easier way to get the costumes...

Hope I'm wrong.

NeonZ

They should at least have been available for SMB3 style too, since it's also 8-bit. Most of those sprites don't seem to follow SMB1's art style anyway.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Nah, give us a "Wai Wai World" styled game, basically a racing-platformer hybrid.

MattyG

Banned
Zelda Maker. Do it, Nintendo.

Or Metroid maker
I've been saying this since Mario Maker was announced. I want my unlimited Zelda, Nintendo!

The only problem I can see with it is that it would have to be a dungeon designer. With Mario Maker, you can just do a stage and be done. With Zelda Maker, people would have to craft entire overworlds AND dungeons, and I can't see more than a handful of people investing that much time into it.

jnWake

My Ness amiibo will finally have another use! Now I really need to get a Mega Man one too...

I also wonder how the Olimar one will work. Probably without any Pikmin...

I hope Mega Man Maker comes next. It could be a Nintendo/Capcom collab.

Vena

NVC had a good discussion on Super Mario Maker this week, talk on the amiibos, the tools, and the feel of the game.

Good listen to on details and feel for the game from Jose. (It also has a discussion of his hands on with AC:HHD, good info in this week's podcast.)

Nydius

I wonder how the 8-bit Inklings will end up looking. I also wonder what their ability will be. Inklings with 8-bit splat guns would be absolutely amazing. Or maybe the ability to hide on the terrain in 8-bit squid mode.

I think it's a "can you beat the 100 on-disc levels without losing all your lives" style challenge.

Kind of, you're given 100 lives and you have to beat a certain amount of levels, they can be either on disc levels or ones by people online. Im not sure if the goal is beat X many levels or beat as many as you can.

Top Bottom