• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker: Not all tools available from the start, unlock over 9 days

9 days regardless of when you buy it. 5 minutes per day minimum.

EDIT: I don't think this is a "huge deal". I'm not outraged or freaking out. I'm still getting the game. Thinking something is stupid does not equal freaking out.

This is regardless of when you buy the game.

3b6296dedceb8d8bedeb770fe16ff17d.png

I understand the timed release Splatoon content, but this is just asinine.

What is the upside?

What is the upside?

It's nine days, which in the context of your entire lifetime is absolutely nothing. It encourages you to experiment with a few tools each day which means you can learn how to get the most out of them instead of just focussing on a few from the entire line-up as you'd do if you had everything at once. It's less overwhelming for new players than the full screen being available at once would be. It encourages you to play every day and see what people are doing.

It's a bit annoying, I would prefer if we had to unluck them ourselves in the game. But its 9 days, not that long. I don't think the ideia of trying to create stages with fewer tools available is that bad.

I wonder if this will impact reviews, though.

I didn't like the idea when I first heard it, but as I thought of it, I realized it's a really good idea:

We've all seen how many items are on that menu. If given the entire batch at once, it's easy to imagine some of those items going entirely unnoticed by some of us for up to months or more. And that's not even getting into shaking every single object! This also gives you a lot of time to work out how every item interacts with every other item before getting even MORE items dumped on you.

weekev

Banned
I dont understand why this is a big deal. So in the first 9 days just get used to making amazing levels with the tools that are available to you. Each day you get something new to add to your levels. Seems like a pointless thing to moan about.

Dicer

Banned
I dont understand why this is a big deal. So in the first 9 days just get used to making amazing levels with the tools that are available to you. Each day you get something new to add to your levels. Seems like a pointless thing to moan about.

Floex

So is it just over 9 days or is it like Splatoon where we could be getting content months later?

If it's 9 days I don't see the point.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Well, it worked for Splatoon right?

Plenty of reviews slighting Splatoon for lack of content, and I don't think every one of them updated their review. I like to think they'll give reviewers a build with the tools unlocked though!

Sephzilla

From what I saw in the video, day one you aren't even going to be able to recreate 1-1 from Super Mario Bros because the Fire Flower isn't available. I understand the logic behind this (getting people used to the editor before giving them full access) but 9 days is way too long for this. Hopefully this is something you can work around by manipulating the Wii-U's clock.

jeffers

On one hand this is an unacceptable outrage.

On the other hand its not that big of a deal and encourages you to hone your skills and stops the first courses online being a gigantic mess.

I just have to assume the game is not finished but they are so desperate to get it out like Splatoon that they will stagger the release to buy time.

I'm okay with it. Don't get why people are making such a fuss about it.

I just have to assume the game is not finished but they are so desperate to get it out like Splatoon that they will stagger the release to buy time.

This is a troll, right? The editor content unlocks over 9 days as part of the game experience, it's relative to you, not everyone. It's not like they're sitting there making the content for 9 days... o..o

Not like Nintendo hasn't done this before either.... Pokemon Channel, Animal Crossing...

Forkball

This is perhaps one of the dumbest things ever implemented into a game. There is no reason for this at all. Do they think people will be overwhelmed? Instead of locking them per day, how about just require a certain number of maps made before parts unlock? Like create one stage for the first row, two stages to unlock the second row etc.

2016 NINTENDO PREVIEW:

Pokemon: One gym will be unlocked each day.
Zelda: One dungeon will be unlocked each day.
Fire Emblem: You can only start with swords, axes are unlocked on day two, then lances on day three etc.
Metroid: One power up will be unlocked each day.
Mario Kart: One track will be unlocked each day.
Kirby: You can only swallow one thing per day.

MrBadger

Yeah, I take issue with this because I don't see Mario Maker as a game as much as I see it as a creative tool. There has to be a better way of easing newcomers into all the content without limiting everyone until just over a week before they can try out all their crazy ideas. It's a minor issue but still an annoying one.

On one hand this is an unacceptable outrage.

On the other hand its not that big of a deal and encourages you to hone your skills and stops the first courses online being a gigantic mess.

I'm not outraged.

I'm still getting the game.

I just happen to think this aspect of it is stupid and felt it was worthy of discussion.

When did "why are people freaking out?" become an acceptable response to legitimate criticism?

Penguin

What?

It's just a time unlock system

And it's all within a week and a half... so not sure how that would equate to game being unfinished

Why can't I just make a mountain out of the molehills?

Because you can't make a stable mountain if you haven't even attempted making a regular hill out of molehills. Making regular hills first will give you a sense for what kinds of structuring goes into a stable hill, and experimentation with various sizes of hill will give you a sense for what kind of engineering is required to make ever-larger mountains, and thus the sort of engineering that goes into mountains made out of molehills, before you finally get the boulders, trees, and snow you need to make mountains.

Noogy

If this truly isn't just a technical limitation on Nintendo's part, it certainly is a weird way to implement the lock.

Why not have an in-game timer from the moment the user boots up the game to unlock tools? Some sort of forced progression through a tutorial?

I guess I just live in a world where I never need a game day one, nor do I have the spare time to wait for content to unlock once I've started.

Effect

Having every save file wait for things to unlock is a good idea so people don't get overwhelmed. IF this is just for the launch week then it's kinda stupid as people that jump on during the holidays will be overwhelmed anyway.

It's nine days, which in the context of your entire lifetime is absolutely nothing. It encourages you to experiment with a few tools each day which means you can learn how to get the most out of them instead of just focussing on a few from the entire line-up as you'd do if you had everything at once. It's less overwhelming for new players than the full screen being available at once would be. It encourages you to play every day and see what people are doing.
This is a ridiculous excuse and the other similar game LBP had no problem with everything at once. If they didn't want people overwhelmed just make a simple creation mode or something.

pastrami

But what about the people who buy the game 9 days after release? How will they ever cope with the wide variety of tools available? Won't somebody think of the day 9+ buyers?

What a dumb thing to do. Please Nintendo, stop with these inane ideas.

Top Bottom