• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

My latest level, "Yoshi's Shell Game:"

WVW69ih-NGA1a5A-c6

92C6-0000-00CE-59B2

You're little Mario, you have NO power-ups and your path is blocked, what do you do? Call on Yoshi and some carefully spit & thrown Koopa shells! Can you also find the alternate mini path to the goal and 2 hidden 1-Ups? =) I had two goals with this stage: A stage where you can't take Yoshi for granted (unlike the age old "lol sacrifice Yoshi to get ahead" schtick) as he's essential to your ability to progress and survive, and to make a basic demonstration of a stage which couldn't be done with checkpoint flags as big Mario would break the concept. Meant to be a fun, medium difficulty, puzzle lite stage, feedback appreciated.

correojon

I just read that the invisible block glitch got patched, so now all levels using them are most likely broken. RIP RtDL8: Forest of Delusion :,(

I know it was a glitch, but it shouldn´t have been patched, it allowed so many cool things that aren´t possible with he current tools...

KingBroly

Banned
I played most of the Event levels, and the Facebook Hackathon level and the level made by the Japanese comedian are kinda terrible. The Hackathon level has way too many parts that have extremely tight windows to get through unscathed and the Comedian's level is just all of the game's spawning issues in one go.

Robin64

I find it amusing that with the patch that adds checkpoints comes an Event Course that has none and is absolutely begging for them. (The Facebook Hackathon)

The new Zelda costume is awesome, though.

I find it amusing that with the patch that adds checkpoints comes an Event Course that has none and is absolutely begging for them. (The Facebook Hackathon)

The new Zelda costume is awesome, though.

I don't think any of the Event levels were made after the patch dropped (for sure the Facebook Hackathon one wasn't since it was made prior to the game's launch IIRC).

Roo

lol at the door easter eggs. Nintendo sure loves those little details.
Mario knocking back is hella creppy tho

correojon

An open question: there are some of you who make awesome theming for your levels (jarosh´s and Axiom´s levels specialy shine in this regard, but they´re not alone). I´m struggling a lot to come up with good ideas for a theme (not just decorations, but a good story) and could use some tips. How do you come up with the ideas for the themes? Do you just develop the level on the go accomodating the story do you do something else? I could use any tip you can give, I´m really at a loss here.

My purpose is to create a level with good theming, a nice story and good mechanic development. I´ve seen many level´s with great theming and great mechanic development, but it´s very rare for both these concepts to be present in the same level at once. The only one I can think of that somewhat achieves this to a degree is They Follow and to some degree Snake Oil, but even then the story or theming are really simple when compared to something like Long Live Koopa Queen or Break the Bank, which instead don´t feature a developed mechanic.

Kebiinu

Banned
The new checkpoint update is making me have more incentive to update my stages. I'm redoing my last two stages (Boos Music Box! and Wiggler-Canyon Havok!) utilizing feedback I've received from this topic. Should be quite the treat!

AniHawk

the checkpoints are going to make at least three of my levels waaaaay more bearable. a gozer the gozerian dilemma has a 3% completion rate, so having one after the first part of the level would be a lot nicer for folks. also an unlikely elevator service is pretty long and could use one too.

woopWOOP

Woo, getting to play Arino's stages! And you know what? They're kind of easier than I thought they'd be.
Since the costume slots have been increased by 10 I wonder if the datamining folks can find some more costumes added with the patch (if any). I have a feeling that the cut Mashiko costume might pop up in the future.

Jumping on the reuploading stages with checkpoints bandwagon:

The Red Line! (Helps You Jump)v2
B00D-0000-00D7-4011

This one is renamed version 2 because I added a whole bit on the overworld (used to be a single screen with a wall seperating you and the goal). Since people were having trouble with the 'controls' of getting pushed by that thing I decided to make a short training course so you know what to expect. After the checkpoint the stage continues like it originally went.

Hocus Pocus Pilatus Pas
3C98-0000-00D7-4A10

I didn't post this here before. While the random nature of the hazards makes it interesting... it's sometimes rather frustrating too. Two checkpoints in this one should make it a lot more enjoyable!

edit: Is Mary-O's stage supposed to be in the Event Courses? I just have the Trifoce Heroes, 3 Arino stages, that comedian and Loveship.

Robin64

edit: Is Mary-O's stage supposed to be in the Event Courses? I just have the Trifoce Heroes, 3 Arino stages, that comedian and Loveship.

No, her stuff is in the Official Makers section. They're not event courses.

What's amusing is seeing people getting on GameFAQs and Reddit and stuff, not realising that Mary. O is a character and there's a story to follow on Miiverse about how she's getting tutoring to get better at stages.

They just seem to think it's some woman at NCL who sucks at making levels.

JC Sera

No, her stuff is in the Official Makers section. They're not event courses.

What's amusing is seeing people getting on GameFAQs and Reddit and stuff, not realising that Mary. O is a character and there's a story to follow on Miiverse about how she's getting tutoring to get better at stages.

They just seem to think it's some woman at NCL who sucks at making levels.
:(
thats so sad

Forkball

Two new courses WITH check points and transitional power ups! It's almost as if I made these a week ago in preparation for today!

Big Blast Bonanza
bPgDpI9.jpg

4953-0000-00D7-5FC8

Don't dawdle and escape the exploding landscape before it's too late. It includes a failure tunnel for those who cannot make the wall jump.

The Threefold Path
SvSi7OA.jpg

E43E-0000-00D7-653C

Traverse earth, hell, and paradise to reach enlightenment aka the goal. There is also a Yoshi that serves no real purpose, don't miss him!

I EXPECT ALL LEVELS TO HAVE CHECKPOINTS FROM HERE ON OUT.

Simbabbad

Bowser's Puzzle Dungeon is amazing. Love it!
The part where you have to jump on the flying Buzzy Beetle as the Bullet Bill launchers drown in lava is a bit unreliable, though. It would have been better if the Buzzy Beetle didn't come from a launcher IMO.

Anyway, it's sort of funny to see Nintendo publishing (nearly exclusively) levels that some people here said Super Mario Maker users shouldn't create.

An open question: there are some of you who make awesome theming for your levels (jarosh´s and Axiom´s levels specialy shine in this regard, but they´re not alone). I´m struggling a lot to come up with good ideas for a theme (not just decorations, but a good story) and could use some tips. How do you come up with the ideas for the themes?
IMO, a good thing is to tell yourself: "I'll make a level using this (or those) costume(s)". From there, tons of ideas can come naturally.

Double

I just read that the invisible block glitch got patched, so now all levels using them are most likely broken. RIP RtDL8: Forest of Delusion :,(

I know it was a glitch, but it shouldn´t have been patched, it allowed so many cool things that aren´t possible with he current tools...
Omg damn and I didn't get to play it yet =(

ScOULaris

So I can't find how to use the two new features, conditional question blocks and checkpoints.

I looked through the digital manual briefly this morning and didn't see any mention of them, and I don't see anything resembling a flag in my editor.

Edit: Nevermind. I just re-watched the update announcement trailer and it gives instructions.

Robin64

Oh apparently Yukio Sawada's level will be up tomorrow, which will unlock the Mario-kun costume. That's neat, that costume looks superb.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Maaaan that new Bowser level totally ripped one of my stages off. A bullet bill cannon shooting giant podoboos that you have to un-cork in order to ignite a giant bob-omb in a rock cage in order to progress. You even have to toss normal bob-ombs to get to the uncorking, also like mine. Whenever I reupload the checkpointed version of the level people are totally gonna think I ripped that stage off. MAN!

Feels good to beat Nintendo to an idea tho :3

My stage if you wanna see: B4B5-0000-0089-E032

optimiss

This started out as an attempt to make a Contra styled level but morphed into a mashup of Mario and Contra. There are two secret shortcuts to find.

Hammer Manor
(0E43-0000-00D0-5517)

WVW69iiJAQkalJ9Fmj

Robin64

So the new costumes won't be datamined, at least for a while, because of two reasons.

Firstly, the database entries for them are all "Boss001", "Boss002" etc all the way up to "Boss098".

Secondly, the actual graphics for them are stored in save data. This is, currently, not possible to decrypt.

Very smart, Nintendo!

So the new costumes won't be datamined, at least for a while, because of two reasons.

Firstly, the database entries for them are all "Boss001", "Boss002" etc all the way up to "Boss098".

Secondly, the actual graphics for them are stored in save data. This is, currently, not possible to decrypt.

Very smart, Nintendo!

haha Nintendo you're mean.

JoeM86

So doing Bowser's Puzzle Dungeon, all well and good until this bit

WVW69ii11WoA7g3yRt

Just can't get the height up to the final platform on the left (the one that's offscreen) ;;

Edit: Bugger, got it but then lost time just before the next checkpoint

I never intended to re-upload my Mega Man 1 remake stages, as I didn't want to get into the habit of tweaking every time I noticed something amiss. But with the checkpoint update, I knew I had to go back and fix my levels to bring them up to proper Mega Man standards. Consider this MEGAfied Version 1.1!

What's new in Version 1.1?
  • Two checkpoints added to every level.
  • Super Mushrooms added to every pre-boss hallway.
  • Simplified BOMB Ballet! boss.
  • Minor platform re-arrangements in several levels.
Also, I failed to mention this originally, but each of the six main levels has two hidden Ultra power-ups (i.e. Fire Flower, Super Leaf), while the Fortress Finale! levels can have three or more. These are often in out-of-the-way areas, but acquiring them can make some of the challenges much easier. And just like many of the levels you guys have shared, there are three hidden 1-Ups in each of mine as an optional side mission.

Below are the new and improved levels. Let me know what you think!

dqo4uco.jpg

An Adventure of MEGA Proportions!

One of the Mushroom Kingdom's oldest legends is that of the Power Star Tree, a sacred plant that produces Power Stars whenever a special melody is played. Somehow, that crafty Bowser has discovered both the the tree's secret grove and its bloom melody. With this new source of limitless power, the Koopa Empire was able to conquer the entire Mushroom Kingdom overnight! Oh no!

But our stalwart savior Mario refuses to give in! Koopa squads have taken hold of six strategic locations -- if Mario can invade their domains and defeat their captains, he just may find clues pointing towards the whereabouts of the Power Star Tree. Of course, Bowser will surely be prepared with some grand scheme to flush that pesky plumber down the drain once and for all. Will our heroic handyman emerge victorious, or has he trimmed his mustache for the last time?

Fight Mario! For everlasting peace!

dBjkmop.jpg

BOMB Ballet! -- 1AF2-0000-00D7-BFB8

Business is literally booming! The Koopas have begun converting the Kingdom's downtown hub into a bomb assembly workshop. Put out their fuse before they begin their first production run!

93MQxcg.jpg

Got GUTS? -- 6377-0000-00D7-C28D

The Koopas have begun excavating the mountainside in search of precious jewels, which has triggered tremors all across the Kingdom. Mind your head as you shut down their mining operation!

2tro8HQ.jpg

Close CUT! -- 74A2-0000-00D7-C4BF

The Toads were forced to flee Mushroom Acres Apartments after their homes became infested by deadly Piranha Plants. No gardening shears handy? A little fire may be just as effective!

Bpq4rnO.jpg

ELECtric Encounter! -- 2539-0000-00D7-C785

Look! Up in the sky! Is it a bird? A plane? No, it's the Koopas' floating spire fleet! Avoid rocket engine flames and maybe try to find a way to get airborne yourself.

woIra4u.jpg

ICE Invasion! -- 9393-0000-00D7-CA07

Deep within the frozen caverns to the north is a subterranean ice tower that the Koopas have claimed for their own. Be careful not to slip and fall when you hand them their eviction papers!

pc4A7D8.jpg

Frantic FIRE! -- 1988-0000-00D7-CCA7

A metal refinery in the center of a volcano!? Probably not to best place to go frolicking about! Timing is key in order to avoid the abundant burners installed throughout the facility.

~~~~~~~~~~

Fortress Finale!

With Bowser's army all but defeated, it's time to take the fight to his stronghold: a massive factory built atop the Power Star Tree's grove. The King of the Koopas has siphoned the tree's energy in order to revive his fallen captains and slow your progress as he completes construction on his most dangerous doomsday weapon yet. Storm the front gate, give Bowser Jr. your warmest regards, dive into the factory's waterworks, and topple the terrible tyrant before it's too late!

lVaZTqe.jpg

Fortress Finale! Act 1 -- 0245-0000-00D7-CF30

H6EPhrH.jpg

Fortress Finale! Act 2 -- 055B-0000-00D7-D291

GgRmzAf.jpg

Fortress Finale! Act 3 -- 6258-0000-00D7-D46E

mY43pP6.jpg

Fortress Finale! Act Ω -- 0998-0000-00D7-DB82

~~~~~~~~~~

BAafgBy.jpg

Boss Practice Chambers -- F035-0000-00D7-DCC3

Getting smacked around by the Koopa squad captains? Practice against any one of them in the Boss Practice Chambers before tackling their domains anew.

Dorygrant

I think my fav part of the update is the fact you can now skip the the "princess is captured" cutscene and pre-level cutscenes in 100 mario challenge. Blew my mind (Unless that was always there and I never tried to skip it lol)

correojon

I made a new level:

Fiery Spikes in Reversible Cave (5987-0000-00D8-02F8)
This is my first level in the SMB3 style: it´s a cave combining Fire Bars and Spike Tops, I´ve been very careful to create a good mechanical progression: the level starts with really easy challenges and progressively ramps up complexity and difficulty until the final challenges. Also, I took some ideas from some GAF levels: there is a number of secrets and some parts with a convoluted layout (thanks to Criskre for inspiring this), a way to unlock a new path to rush back through the first part of the level (thanks to Dimentios and his level Overgrown Ruins) and several other things.
There is also a very cool part at the middle of the level that all who have played Wiggler´s Steampunk Tree will surely recognize ;)
Hope you guys enjoy it, I´ve spent a lot of time polishing this one and will love to get your opinions on it.

IMO, a good thing is to tell yourself: "I'll make a level using this (or those) costume(s)". From there, tons of ideas can come naturally.
Cool idea, thanks! I´ll use it to get started :)

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I think my fav part of the update is the fact you can now skip the the "princess is captured" cutscene and pre-level cutscenes in 100 mario challenge. Blew my mind (Unless that was always there and I never tried to skip it lol)

Holy shit seriously, yesssssssss!

Decided to use the update to update one of my oldest courses--the Chain Chomp Zoo, so here's:

IH7XpKh.jpg

Chain Chomp Zoo v.2
E62A-0000-00D7-E9EF

Added a checkpoint and altered some of the level design using what I've learned in later courses I've made in an attempt to make it more playable and enjoyable. I kept the original version uploaded in case you prefer the old one though.

So I have a question that might be stupid. I picked up the game on release and over the first few days I gained most of the toolset through the daily additions. At some point I got a message saying "you've got all the deliveries" or "you've completed the set" or something to that effect, but even after all this time I still haven't unlocked a batch of items including paths (eg. for platforms on a moving path). Is there something else I need to do to unlock these, or is something wrong with my save or something? Designed many levels and would be disappointed if I had to wipe it all.

My palette looks like this:
ErqFs4J.jpg

You're missing the track, conveyor belt, and grinder... and I have no idea how that happened. The deliveries are supposed to go in order and the one with the one-way door is the last one. That's got to be a glitch I would think.

So I have a question that might be stupid. I picked up the game on release and over the first few days I gained most of the toolset through the daily additions. At some point I got a message saying "you've got all the deliveries" or "you've completed the set" or something to that effect, but even after all this time I still haven't unlocked a batch of items including paths (eg. for platforms on a moving path). Is there something else I need to do to unlock these, or is something wrong with my save or something? Designed many levels and would be disappointed if I had to wipe it all.

Hmm, seems like a bug to me. Contact Nintendo customer support. Maybe they can help you but be prepared for completely deleting your save data and starting over.

You could try going to the coursebot and see if all example levels have been unlocked. (In the coursebot menu press select to switch to the example levels). The first two rows should be filled with 8 example courses. If they are there, try playing and completing the last two.

Edit: You're not the only one with problems like that. I read of someone that had everything unlocked (and also got the "you have everything"-message) but was still missing the underwater theme and the underwater elements like the blooper and stuff.
Not sure how rare or common that bug is, but I think there's nothing you can do here.

octopiggy

Why would they add a hard mode to Gnat Attack? As if the original wasn't bad enough. I can't even beat the first level. I've come close but it seems to be entirely based on luck.
It's genuinely making me angry!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Today's update fixed the invisible platform glitch, which rendered Super Dude Bros. II 1-2 unbeatable. So I reuploaded it with a new ID:

Super Dude Bros.™ II Chapter 1-2: There Will Be B.R.Oil - (37B2-0000-00D6-EDE8)

009_superdudebros1-2wks3k.png

I also added two checkpoints, in addition to Ragnarok's passcode system, and tweaked some stuff here and there.
It's heavily suggested to play this level with comments on (thankfully my levels aren't popular enough to be swarming with them).

I've also uploaded a new level:

Not Tomorrow ~ Lisa Dies (2AAF-0000-00D6-F2D2)

010_nottomorrow9zse3.png

- A Silent Hill-themed music level... but not the way you're used to.
- Three hidden 1ups to find (wait, what?)

Feedback on this would be lovely.

Some of my previous levels: http://abload.de/img/z_selectionnhadd.png

Top Bottom