• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker Patch 1.0.1 Removes 9 Day Unlocking System

Robin64

We thought this might be worth a thread rather than being buried in the SMM OT, as so many people were upset with it.

So a patch went up today for Super Mario Maker which had the following notes:

•“Create a course” scene: a small element was added.
•Condition(s) for increasing the amount of useable parts (in the level editor) were added.
•Various changes meant to improve the gameplay experience.

That second one is the interesting one. Having had some time with the game, I can see that what it really means is that the major complaint about SMM is now gone.

About 15 minutes into editing my level, "day two" items got delivered. About 15 minutes, "day three" got delivered. It seems that Nintendo actually listened and fixed a huge complaint. So bravo to them!

wiiu_screenshot_gamepn6rrk.jpg

Edit: For clarification, it seems it might be based on how many blocks you place in the Create mode. There's no official word on this right now, so it's all speculation and testing, but spamming a load of garbage blocks into the editor is working for people here.

So if you want everything quickly, just fill up levels with utter garbage.

bobawesome

Nice. I didn't think it was a deal breaker but it did seem mildly annoying for those that want everything off the bat.

Ibuki

Banned
But what will we complain about now?

In all seriousness, this is awesome. Glad to get the tools sooner, and see some levels created with them.

Arttemis

Hey, I might pick this up. I wasn't passing on it because of the 9-day limit's stupidity, but I might pick it up because of them doing the right thing and listening to their fans.

Porcile

This hasn't actually worked for me. I've been playing around for about an hour in the level creator and I'm still stuck with the base items.

Sterok

Probably would've gone with 30 minutes myself, but hey, I'm not going to complain. The faster I get things, the better.

phanphare

Banned
This hasn't actually worked for me. I've been playing around for about an hour in the level creator and I'm still stuck with the base items.

maybe stuff is unlocked as you use every item in the current set?

also did you open the game through the quick start menu? when you do that patches don't automatically download

lt519

Should of done it before review copies went out; quite a few reviewers knocked them out of the 90+ range due to that complaint. I don't care, but Nintendo is known to use Metacritic in their marketing and didn't do themselves any favors here.

Y'know, people would've defended this idea to the end, but I'm glad even Nintendo said "alright fine, that's not the best idea in the world, you win".

For what it's worth, I thought it was a dumb idea. Create proper tutorials if you're worried people will be overwhelmed by the options in front of them, don't limit players who could be utilizing all the tools from day 1. And don't give me that "just set your clock forward 9 days" nonsense. It's stupid, no matter how you look at it, and I'm glad they got rid of it.

Call me crazy, but I believe that 9 day unlock period was intended for reviewers, not final users. You know, so they don't went all crazy and then complain "Theres so much I can even!".

But in this day and age of entitlement and "everyone is a winner!" mindset, it blow out of proportion.

Sephzilla

I think the idea of "let's not overload the player with too many variables" is a decent one, the execution however was bad.

Agreed. 15 minute intervals between unlocks honestly seems way more logical, especially when you look at some of the pre-release Lets Plays that IGN and others had where a lot of people said it took them maybe an hour to get used to everything.

phanphare

Banned
Call me crazy, but I believe that 9 day unlock period was intended for reviewers, not final users. You know, so they don't went all crazy and then complain "Theres so much I can even!".

But in this day and age of entitlement and "everyone is a winner!" mindset, it blow out of proportion.

lol, it would be so hilarious if the 9-day unlock was to hold the reviewers' hands

Kriken

I'll just quote myself from the 9 days thread

The concept of unlocking more assets doesn't bother me at all, I'll spend some time seeing what i can do with basic assets and then expand as more are introduced, simple enough. My problem is the time frame as if I were to theoretically spend 8 hours over the course of one or two days of it being launched, I should have a firm understanding of the editor and its assets and be able to work with all assets. If I were to design the unlock method, it'd be based on half-hour/hour intervals where the new asset packs are unlocked immediately after the requirement is met. I already set my Wii U's clock back 9 days so when I get it I'll theoretically have all the assets day 1 and a normal in-game clock

Basically this is how I felt it should have been without a patch, but it's good to hear that it's like this day 1 for everyone
Anyone who doesn't download the patch day 1 b/c their console is offline only miss the point of this game anyways

I don't think so. They specifically highlighted it in the launch trailer.

Schnozberry

I'm glad they listened to people. I knew what they were trying to do, but it didn't seem like the length of time was particularly fair.

Mcdohl

Great job Nintendo.

I really felt it was one of the most stupid decisions ever. Glad they saw (and corrected) their mistake.

Kouichi

My problem with the system was that 9 days is way too long. I liked the idea of forcing players to get accustomed to the tools before the rest unlocked. 15 minutes is too short!

So will people stop defending this now?

I mean, I'm not going to defend it per se, but I will say that I never had a problem with it, and felt that people who were going to get it and said that was changing their mind entirely on it were completely overreacting. I mean, it's like a week and a half. I didn't know people could _get_ that impatient. I liked the idea of having something new every day you played with it for a little while.

But I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth, and I'll gladly take the shortened timeframe.

MrBadger

Thank goodness! This is much less inconvenient than changing the clock to bypass this. I get the thought process behind why they did it, but it's such a stupid design choice.

Top Bottom