• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker Patch 1.0.1 Removes 9 Day Unlocking System

Good. It was a mild annoyance (if it was 9 weeks instead of 9 days, then it would have been awful), but it's nice that they listened. Now how can we get NOA to listen on publishing Fatal Frame physical version?

Robin64

Still nothing :( The patch is definitely installed.

This is really weird.

The first level I made wasn't especially big, though I did drop in and out a lot to test it. I guess it took maybe 30 mins and by that time I had day two's stuff and a notification that day three's was on the way.

Nice. I'm guessing they didn't like the idea of lots of people fiddling with their system clocks over and over, and then probably forgetting to fix them back. Either way, I'm glad they changed it so quickly.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Still don't think that the game needs time-based unlocks at all, but this is an infinitely better solution than the 9-day nonsense.

Kouriozan

Well, not for me, only played with the patch installed. (1.01)

wiiu_screenshot_gamepscqdr.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_gamepvirj2.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_gamept2qh9.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_gamepo7pn4.jpg

BiggNife

Should of done it before review copies went out; quite a few reviewers knocked them out of the 90+ range due to that complaint. I don't care, but Nintendo is known to use Metacritic in their marketing and didn't do themselves any favors here.

Eh, the game still got plenty of rave reviews and the far majority of reviews are super positive so I don't really think it's that big of a deal. There's more than enough 9/10s and 9.5/10s from major review sites that Nintendo can use as promotion fuel.

It's cool to see nintendo reacting to criticism so quickly. I feel like they wouldn't have done this 2 or 3 years ago.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Great! I'm looking forward to pick it up now. That was an uncharacteristically lazy decision for Nintendo. Rather than finding an appropriate solution or tutorial process for the unlocks, it was "Fuck it, wait a while". With the requirement to play on 9 separate days worth of sessions for the unlocks, I honestly wasn't going to buy it because that could be upwards of a month or more of actual playing for me.

Glad to see Nintendo listening to criticism in this way, even if I was one of those in favor of the 9-day unlock system. I hope switching it out doesn't hurt the online community, and I REALLY hope that they take a page from Splatoon's book and put out free DLC every once in a while to keep levels fresh.

Good on Nintendo removing this, it was an odd idea in the first place to restrict it just because they didn't want to "overwhelm" people.

Porcile

hmmmmm

have you used every item in the current set yet?

I just made a level which use everything. Kouriozan is having the same problem in the OT. I haven't got shit!

If it's because I loaded the game before the patch installed, then that's really dumb.

phanphare

Banned
Well, not for me, only played with the patch installed. (1.01)

how much did you mess around with the current set? did you use every item? did you shake things and combine them?

starting to seem like things unlock as you meet certain requirements with the editor

I just made a level which use everything. Someone else is having the same problem in the OT. I haven't got shit!

If it's because I loaded the game before the patch installed, then that's really dumb.

interesting..

NotLiquid

I liked the idea of padding unlocks and the idea of letting players get accustomed to what was there first due to the versatility. Unlike MGSV's arbitrary wait time which I've railed against quite a bit, the design here seemed to support the idea of getting accustomed to your current tools before you get a set of new ones. That said, 9 days was quite a lot to have to wait for the full experience, so I'd say this was a good move on their part. I'm not sure if 15 minutes is the sweet spot for this, but good move on Nintendo nonetheless.

The funny thing is now it'll actually take slightly longer to unlock everything than just moving the clock forward.

Now you have to play two hours to unlock everything. Before you had to use the editor for five minutes, then exit the game, move the day ahead one and restart it.

You had to do this eight times but it takes less than ten minutes total as opposed to 15.

BiggNife

IIRC there's a treehouse stream on twitch in about 3 hours so I'm guessing they're gonna clarify the new requirements there.

Good, I let my sister play with the level creator with day 2 items and she commented that there were very few items, imagine dealing with that for a few days, bad idea. I already unlocked everything by changing the date, but good for Nintendo for listening.

NateDrake

You have to play in the creator. So if the new time is, say, 30minutes it means you must be creating, testing, and such in the creator tool. You can't just play other levels, open the creator and expect new options to be there.

Stoze

Great! I'm looking forward to pick it up now. That was an uncharacteristically lazy decision for Nintendo. Rather than finding an appropriate solution or tutorial process for the unlocks, it was "Fuck it, wait a while". With the requirement to play on 9 separate days worth of sessions for the unlocks, I honestly wasn't going to buy it because that could be upwards of a month or more of actual playing for me.

Well with the original way, you could just play for 5 minutes, change the date on the Wii U settings, then play for 5 minutes, and then unlock everything in less then an hour, not a month of playtime. It goes by the system clock, not a server clock like Splatoon.

So now with the patch it does actually take a longer amount of playtime in the editor to unlock everything, but I doubt it's more than 3 or 4 hours (for those people not having it glitch out on them).

Not complaining though, I'd rather stay in the editor and keep unlocking stuff organically than have to back out every 5 mins.

TheJoRu

Didn't care, especially since it could be so easily bypassed, but hey, if it makes people happier then that's a good thing.

Kouriozan

how much did you mess around with the current set? did you use every item? did you shake things and combine them?

starting to seem like things unlock as you meet certain requirements with the editor

Definitely did all that.

Don't worry, started played after the update and nothing too.

Porcile

You have to play in the creator. So if the new time is, say, 30minutes it means you must be creating, testing, and such in the creator tool. You can't just play other levels, open the creator and expect new options to be there.

I swear I've been playing around in the course editor for at least an hour and a half. I'll just leave it a little longer I guess.

Nanashrew

Banned
15 minutes is better than daily, but the overreactions to this were a world of stupid.

Yep. I mean, I found it kinda disappointing too but I chose to remain positive and wanting to utilize the 9 days to create and learn the basics of level design like Jeremy Parish did for his Super Mario Maker videos. That whole thread was crazy and some legitimately cancelling their pre-orders over it.

NateDrake

I swear I've been playing around in the course editor for at least an hour and a half. I'll just leave it a little longer I guess.

Try leaving the course editor or upload a level and then returning to see if it prompts a new arrival.

As I said in my review, I loved the 9-day delay. Limitations are the fuel of creativity. But whatever.
I didn't mind it either. It made me think of new ways of designing a stage with limited options. The challenging and creative 'Don't Do Shrooms' stage was made with only Day 1 items.

We need another one to confirm this, because it seem OP is the only one who got it.

You're saying either OP is a liar or Nintendo made a bizarre special build of the game just for him that delivers things early?

That would be the strangest bug in existence.

Ninjimbo

I prefer getting familiar with the tools first instead of having everything dumped onto me. Oh well. As long as it shuts up the whiners, I'm all for it.

Top Bottom