• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker Patch 1.0.1 Removes 9 Day Unlocking System

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
yeah cuz theyre totally the same type of game

No way, you're completely missing the point. Without idling in the create mode for five minutes a day for a week and a half, nobody will ever be able to understand what a warp pipe does! This brilliant tutorial method of "Do absolutely nothing except inconvenience the player" was the future of gaming until you all ruined it!

The funny thing is now it'll actually take slightly longer to unlock everything than just moving the clock forward.

Now you have to play two hours to unlock everything. Before you had to use the editor for five minutes, then exit the game, move the day ahead one and restart it.

You had to do this eight times but it takes less than ten minutes total as opposed to 15.

Basically this. And the reports above not unlocking things after 15 minutes has me worried as well. This is probably a negative change overall from what was there previously, and I don't understand why I couldn't have access to all the tools at the outset anyway.

Robin64

It's possible it's not even time based anymore, but just how much you are using the editor. I made a fairly big level and stuff came right away. Kourio, who had nothing, then filled a level with blocks and his stuff came.

Grym

Ok...so...

unlock #1 - spam a bunch of blocks/make long level

what's #2? let's get a list so I don't have to guess at midnight :)

ramparter

Banned
I wish it had a mission kind system that meant you had to create levels under conditions but I guess it's better to do what most people wanted in the first place.

If the unlocks were across a three-day stretch I wouldn't have minded and in some way, maybe, theoretically, possibly appreciated it, but nine days was a bit much.

Kouriozan

Proof :

wiiu_screenshot_gamep3wqcw.jpg

Kouriozan

Did the same again with more blocks and got day 3 items

wiiu_screenshot_gamep8to9y.jpg

Ok, we got this down.
Also used all the new stuff before the copy/pasting spam.

robot

I actually thought the 9 day thing was really cool for my kids. I can see why people want it all at once though.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I just made a level which use everything. Kouriozan is having the same problem in the OT. I haven't got shit!

If it's because I loaded the game before the patch installed, then that's really dumb.

What do you mean by "loaded the game"? If you mean that you launched the game before the patch installed and have not stopped playing since, then you wouldn't be playing 1.01, which would require you to restart the game and see the "update has been installed" screen. I'm sure the title screen or somewhere else reflects the version number you're playing.

If you just mean you started playing the game at some point before the patch released, I'm sure Nintendo made the patch such that it applies to all save files and you'll be able to take advantage of the vague new unlock requirements. It's just a matter of figuring out what they are.

Porcile

So the 9 day timer is still there, but you can bypass it by fulfilling Nintendo's currently unknown arbitrary unlock conditions. I'm not sure which system I prefer.

papo

Bring on the massive crap levels full of grief.

I found the original issue to be trivial at most, but I would have wished that they then implemented some progression system instead.

I don't know how it is implemented and for how long you would have to wait/play for all parts would show up, but I really wish

I really don't understand why we have reached a place where unlockables are seen as a bad thing. Sure the original idea was stupid, but a progression system would have been best. At least it should be make certain amount of levels with day 1 set items to get day 2 set etc etc.

So how was it finally implemented can someone comment on that?

So the 9 day timer is still there, but you can bypass it by fulfilling Nintendo's currently unknown arbitrary unlock conditions. I'm not sure which system I prefer.

I also want to know the unlock conditions. I'd rather have the 9 day thing than the items just unlocking. That wold mean the removed 'unlockables' because of some bs.

Glad Nintendo realized this was a bad idea. A victory to the internet!
Edit: 15 minutes in the editor to unlock each part is totally fair. Going to set my Wii U clock to normal time.

Zomba13

Great! 15 minutes before the next lot is a lot better than an entire day. Look, I get the whole "dum dums don't want to be overwhelmed :(" thing and that is totally valid. I get overwhelmed in certain editors when there is too much complex stuff and I like seeing the cool stuff made form a limited palette but I also know Mario stuff. Maybe not proper level design (which limiting me won't teach me either) but I know what things do and have ideas on where to put them that I want to mess with ASAP.

Best course of action though would be a "difficulty" select where you can say "nah I'm a Mario savant, give me all the blocks now. Gimmie gimmie!" while still letting people faff around with babys less-than-first Mario level.

Nice, I didn't really mind the 9 day limit as much as other people because I understand it was meant to ease people into the building. But it's good to have the option for unlocking it all in one day if people want to dive in completely and spend hours and hours playing the game at release, haha.

Kouriozan

Same thing again, used all the new stuff, like "ennemies behave in different way underwater", spammed copy/paste and got the message about the castle courses.
EDIT : a few copy/paste later, here comes the truck.

Stoze

Interesting, so is it confirmed that it's not time based but actually how much of the new shit you throw on the screen? Forget my other post then.

Wonder how fast you can unlock everything.

papo

not time based but actually how much of the new shit you throw on the screen?

This is crap. Not really a progression system the biggest messiest level get you to unlock everything? Sucks if true.

I love unlockables in games and I didn't see the original method as a negative, I'd prefer a progression system, but I'd rather have everything unlocked from the beginning that this method. This is the reason people didn't mind the 9 day wait.

'Cheating' the system to get all stuff seems like a pretty bad alternative IMO.

Oh FFS...

I almost exclusively play Nintendo games, and Day 1 patches aren't common where Nintendo is concerned. That's all.

Nintendo's Wii U launch games all had day one patches, as did Smash Bros. Probably a few others I'm forgetting as well.

It's actually pretty common, even for Nintendo.

Kouriozan

Yet again, used all new stuff, some copy/paste, put Bowser and Bowser Jr underwater with some flames, finished the level and got the truck with Mario Bros. 3 and airship.
I'll stop for now but it should be quick to get everything.

Top Bottom