• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker Patch 1.0.1 Removes 9 Day Unlocking System

Wow, I'm surprised Nintendo actually listened. That idea was horrible to begin with.

Now all the people who kept defending it can eat dirt.

1XjIfdQ.png

Kouriozan

Do we have a clear understanding at this point of how best to unlock all the tools as quickly as possible under the new system? Just curious.
All I did was test the new stuff they give you, copy a large chunk of blocks and paste everywhere then I get a message about the new stuff coming, a few pasting later, the truck is coming.
There still might be a faster way though.

Wanderer5

That cool. The 15 mins thing is still nice to layout the tools bit by bit. Waiting a full day for the next batch was a bit silly.

papo

This is a pretty silly way to look at things. I could see thinking this way if you unlocked the stuff by performing some kind of challenging action like beating a certain game mode or building a level that worked using every available element and they suddenly tossed that out and made everything available with no effort, but there was no effort involved in the original method. The only criterion for unlocking stuff was WAITING 24 hours 8 times. What sense of accomplishment have you lost from the removal of this completely arbitrary and pointlessly long time restriction? Would you have similarly gotten upset if the released date had gotten pushed up a week?

I wouldn't have cared at all if the date was pushed back at all. I'm just saying as progressions systems go this is crap. The 9 day was a bit questionable, but I saw some reason behind it. I see this fix as crap, they should have just unlocked everything instead of having people create crap stages to progress, which it is all it will boil down to.

Instead I would have liked an actual progression system maybe similar to LBP. They already have some stages set up, so let those unlock the stuff.

I guess I see a game like this that doesn't have anything to unlock as having less value/longevity.

DedValve

Banned
Im gonna give you a coupon for 1 pat on the back nintendo. Don't use it all at once!

Seriously this is awesome. Thanks Nintendo! I'm gonna have such a great party tomorrow without the need to cheese the 9 days thing for a warmup.

Do we have a clear understanding at this point of how best to unlock all the tools as quickly as possible under the new system? Just curious.
Pretty much copy and paste, delete, repeat.
Just have to use new tools you get each time.
Way quicker than the old system.

Personally I didn't think it was that big a deal. But seeing as lots of people are complaining about it, and it's not that important in the grand scheme of things, there's no problem with Nintendo changing it up.

The new system accomplishes the same goal, just at a faster pace.

This is a good solution, but all they needed to do is give you the choice at loading it up turning it off. I like the idea of not overwhelming people, to let people take the game as far as they can with what they have before loading them up with more, it's a solid tutorial system but it'd bother me if I didn't have a choice to bypass it somehow.

People who defended it sure got told. Good on Nintendo.

Honestly, no. If people thought it was a good idea before they're still entitled to think it's a good idea. You know, thinking of it as something they could incorporate into their own games someday, as a logical way to get people used to new elements slowly.

I should say I'm not someone who would defend it, but there's nothing wrong with doing so. Maybe if it had been dragged out the full 9 days, we would've seen better levels in the long run. Who can say?

Cbajd5

My game is updated and still telling me that the next wave won't unlock until saturday. what do

Yeah my copy isn't giving me anything new

Just got the game with the update and I have to wait until Saturday till the blocks are unlocked.

After you get the message that new content will be delivered the next day just put down a ton of stuff. (You might have to use all the stuff you got previously first though, not sure.) Blocks are the easiest to do this with since you can just draw them onto the screen.

Once you've placed enough and aren't putting stuff into the stage (so once you stop placing blocks if you're doing it as indicated earlier) you'll hear a truck arrive and you'll get the popup that the delivery came earlier than expected and you can try a test course or just keep working. Then queue up the next delivery by being in create mode for 5 minutes or so, then repeat until you have everything.

There's no special message that tells you that doing this will deliver the stuff early, every queue message will say it'll be delivered the next day, but it just does it automatically once you've placed enough stuff.

Got up to the Airship & SMB3 pack already, but I'm done playing now since it's 2 AM.

colinp

Banned
After you get the message that new content will be delivered the next day just put down a ton of stuff. (You might have to use all the stuff you got previously first though, not sure.) Blocks are the easiest to do this with since you can just draw them onto the screen.

Once you've placed enough and aren't putting stuff into the stage (so once you stop placing blocks if you're doing it as indicated earlier) you'll hear a truck arrive and you'll get the popup that the delivery came earlier than expected and you can try a test course or just keep working. Then queue up the next delivery by being in create mode for 5 minutes or so, then repeat until you have everything.

There's no special message that tells you that doing this will deliver the stuff early, every queue message will say it'll be delivered the next day, but it just does it automatically once you've placed enough stuff.

Got up to the Airship & SMB3 pack already, but I'm done playing now since it's 2 AM.

Worked like a charm, thanks!

Thanks for fucking that up for us Gaf.

I really liked that idea and my daughter was looking forward to finding out what new things would unlock for today.

I wouldn't have minded the 9 day unlocking system (there's always "time travel"), but it's nice that Nintendo listened and removed, which is important in a community-driven game.

Nice thing they listened to a part of the community.

I'm also happy that they let the possibility to discover things one day after another. So I'll play the game the way they made it to be played.
I'm not a good level designer and I had difficulties making something decent on LBP but maybe this time the way they tried to make people use and learn tools more progressively will help me get better :p

Soul Lab

After the first delivery with new stuff. This trick doesnt work for me anymore. Putting so much stuff on screen pressing reset and so on. But nothing happens. Help pls

Lol. Nvm. The truck arrived :D

Recall

After the first delivery with new stuff. This trick doesnt work for me anymore. Putting so much stuff on screen pressing reset and so on. But nothing happens. Help pls

Lol. Nvm. The truck arrived :D

So instead of just playing the game and making levels it's now whining about unlocking everything as fast as possible?

pastrami

Thanks for fucking that up for us Gaf.

I really liked that idea and my daughter was looking forward to finding out what new things would unlock for today.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the original system was that you had to play 5 minutes a day, and you would unlock something for the next day, right?

So think about the people who play maybe once a week. Do you think it's fair for them to have to wait two months before unlocking everything? Even if they have time to put in a good three or four hours each time they play?

The original system was dumb and overly limiting for no reason.

Honestly, no. If people thought it was a good idea before they're still entitled to think it's a good idea. You know, thinking of it as something they could incorporate into their own games someday, as a logical way to get people used to new elements slowly.

I should say I'm not someone who would defend it, but there's nothing wrong with doing so. Maybe if it had been dragged out the full 9 days, we would've seen better levels in the long run. Who can say?

They can think it's a great idea. But they're still being told otherwise. We would have gotten crappy levels one way or the other. An arbitrary lock on items wouldn't have changed that.

i can confirm the bolded is true. I filled blocks for a good 10 minutes and was wondering why the second truck wasnt delivering. the second i placed the last new item down i got the notification.

thank you for the detailed instructions.

Top Bottom