• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker Patch 1.0.1 Removes 9 Day Unlocking System

JD_Lars

i can confirm the bolded is true. I filled blocks for a good 10 minutes and was wondering why the second truck wasnt delivering. the second i placed the last new item down i got the notification.

thank you for the detailed instructions.

Confirmed. Use all the new stuff first then dick around for a while.

Ignition365

Neo Member
I have made ten levels. It told me to come back today and i unlocked the lakitu stuff. Played some today and said come back tomorrow for the underwater stuff.

I havent received a patch apparently.

I did a system update yesterday morning and i am connected to the internet.

Zornack

I have made ten levels. It told me to come back today and i unlocked the lakitu stuff. Played some today and said come back tomorrow for the underwater stuff.

I havent received a patch apparently.

I did a system update yesterday morning and i am connected to the internet.

Even though it's circumventable it still says the delivery is coming tomorrow. Place one of each new item then spam enough blocks and the truck will arrive.

Ignition365

Neo Member
You mean... even though it says ill get the underwater stuff tomorrow, if I keep playing it will unlock anyway? I made ten levels yesterday and I never got the lakitu stuff yesterday, it fully waited until today to give it to me.

You mean... even though it says ill get the underwater stuff tomorrow, if I keep playing it will unlock anyway? I made ten levels yesterday and I never got the lakitu stuff yesterday, it fully waited until today to give it to me.

This is true. It told me the same thing but after dicking around for a bit it said that the delivery came early and I got the underwater stuff. But yes, you must use all of the new stuff along with placing a certain amount of blocks to trigger it

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I played around in the editor for a while last night and it still told me to wait for today for new content. :

How do you use Amiibos with this game?

It took me 2 hours of placing tons of random blocks each time. Use the new items and features and then stretch the goal all the way down, hold left on the stick and go crazy with items like blocks and clouds that you can draw lines with. By the time you get ro the start and then hold right and go back to the end the next truck should be arriving soon. Use the rocket clear in bottom right and then do it again. Rinse repeat.

To use amiibo just touch them to the pad in edit mode

NeonZ

Yes, there'll be a message about how the new content arrived earlier than expected.

If you don't know if you really have version 1.01, just check the title screen. The version number should be there. If you got no update, it's because you've only used quick start, rather than starting from the main menu.

vazel

Banned
I'm happy Nintendo has come to their senses. Hopefully they won't do this drip feeding thing anymore, it was annoying in both Mario Maker and Splatoon. I understand what they're trying to do by wanting to keep the casual crowd's interest over time, but it comes off as really condescending to me.

I'm happy Nintendo has come to their senses. Hopefully they won't do this drip feeding thing anymore, it was annoying in both Mario Maker and Splatoon. I understand what they're trying to do by wanting to keep the casual crowd's interest over time, but it comes off as really condescending to me.

I didn't have a problem with Splatoon. As it is, we're at the point there's so many weapons in Splatoon I rarely play most of them but when it was being trickled out I tried them all.

vazel

Banned
I didn't have a problem with Splatoon. As it is, we're at the point there's so many weapons in Splatoon I rarely play most of them but when it was being trickled out I tried them all.
Many like me don't have that problem of feeling overwhelmed with content. I don't need to be drip fed content that should have been in the game day 1 over the span of days/weeks like I'm a child with ADD.

Effect

Just add a bunch of blocks everywhere. You don't need to save the stage or anything.

Does seem to be working. Five minutes in until you get the message about the next delivery. Then just add tons and tons of blocks all over the place. Place and scroll left and right seems to work.

Just had the castle set unlock and can not seeing Mario's trail. I'm surprised that last one wasn't unlocked form the start as it's really useful.

Is it just me, or is it still way faster to do it the old pre-1.0.1 way? I've been playing for five minutes, getting the "there's a delivery tomorrow" thing, then taking 90 seconds to just hop back out to the system menu and change the time. Seems way quicker / easier than trying to hit their invisible block quota. Or am I wrong?

Garou

Is it just me, or is it still way faster to do it the old pre-1.0.1 way? I've been playing for five minutes, getting the "there's a delivery tomorrow" thing, then taking 90 seconds to just hop back out to the system menu and change the time. Seems way quicker / easier than trying to hit their invisible block quota. Or am I wrong?

Place more varied stuff, then you will get "Oh, your delivery came early". No system clock-stuff needed.

No, it is. Moving the clock forward is the fastest method.

A lot of things must come across as condescending to you in day to day life then.

The biggest issue with having stuff unlocked are the themes. Like, 75% of the stages I've played are grassland or underground in NSMBU or SMB style.

All the themes and all games should have been default. Yea, it'd be weird having a castle without Bowser or a haunted house without Boo, but it's better than the majority of stages being on the same four themes. It gets kind of old, especially when "grinding" for costumes.

Nope. Place new items during initial 5 minutes. After alert fill in one screen full of blocks. Select as much as you can with grab tool. Then use the copy tool to copy the selection and place it across the level. The truck after a few screens worth exit copy mode and the truck will come. Roughly just a minute.

shaowebb

How do I do the onion skin thing with Mario where I jump, then go into edit and see my jump trail to setup precision platforming segments? I can't find that tool anywhere...

frontieruk

How do I do the onion skin thing with Mario where I jump, then go into edit and see my jump trail to setup precision platforming segments? I can't find that tool anywhere...

It's an unlock. But its a little Mario icon bottom left of the editor screen once you have it

bounchfx

No, it is. Moving the clock forward is the fastest method.

what I did was after I get the 'next delivery tomorrow' message, was simply to place a screenful of normal blocks, then select them all and copy them 4-6 times. unlocks the next one instantly and takes about 10 seconds.

of course I didn't figure that out until the last unlock anyway Lol.

-GJ-

What's the bottom row in the tool set supposed to be? It's empty and it doesn't look like I'm unlocking more stuff at the moment.

vazel

Banned
A lot of things must come across as condescending to you in day to day life then.
What? What are you inferring from my post? I'm only talking about full price videogames that time lock content. I don't need content in a videogame to be drip fed to me in order to keep my interest, I'm not a child suffering from ADD.

What? What are you inferring from my post? I'm only talking about full price videogames that time lock content. I don't need content in a videogame to be drip fed to me in order to keep my interest, I'm not a child suffering from ADD.

I wasn't really being serious but I still think finding the drip feeding of content as condescending to be a bit odd. It's a design choice meant to teach players the ropes. It's not always handled in the best fashion but I would hardly call it condescending either. In Super Mario Maker's case, removing the 9 day setup has actually resulted in a bunch of really, really bad levels, as most creators aren't even attempting to learn how to actually create a compelling stage. It was probably still the right decision to remove it, but it definitely wasn't all positive.

As for Splatoon, it was clearly done to keep the community engaged. There are aspects in how they did it that I like and others I find a bit frustrating. Over all, it has been very successful for them.

vazel

Banned
Mario Maker was always going to have a lot of very bad levels no matter what, this is simply due to the fact that most people suck at game design.

Mario Maker was always going to have a lot of very bad levels no matter what, this is simply due to the fact that most people suck at game design.

This is true.

I believe easing players into the toolkit would have been beneficial though (I guess this still occurs under the new system, though less so) and we'd probably have less garbage to wade through at launch, even if there would still be a bunch of horrible creations.

Oh well. I'm fine with the new system overall.

border

All I want to do is make a Super Mario World level with some Yoshis.

How long do I have to spend screwing around in the editor before the game will allow me to do this?

Forkball

READ THIS POST IF YOU WANT ALL ITEMS IN ONE DAY

There are two methods: the clock method and the spam method.

CLOCK METHOD:
+Play for five minutes until it says the next shipment will arrive tomorrow
+Go into system settings and move your Wii U clock up a day
+Repeat nine times

SPAM METHOD:
+Pick the basic block, and just squiggle blocks across the level until you reach the cap (this takes maybe one minute)
+You will get an alert saying delivery was sped up and you will get the items immediately
+You have to use every item so that there are no red ! before new ones will unlock. This possibly includes themes as well.

Also, the bottom row is "favorites" so nothing new will appear there. It gives you a message when you unlock everything.

CLOCK METHOD:
+Repeat nine times

SPAM METHOD:
+Pick the basic block, and just squiggle blocks across the level until you reach the cap (this takes maybe one minute)
+You will get an alert saying delivery was sped up and you will get the items immediately
+You have to use every item so that there are no red ! before new ones will unlock. This possibly includes themes as well.

Also, the bottom row is "favorites" so nothing new will appear there. It gives you a message when you unlock everything.

Thanks, will try that

Ecto311

CLOCK METHOD:
+Repeat nine times

SPAM METHOD:

So fill the room with blocks - can I use the rocket and erase them or just keep blocking over old blocks? I did this some last night and got like 3 rows of stuff by changing the clock after a few trucks showed up.

Fuckin Nintendo makes this bad ass game then has some janky ass thing like this to make it a chore. It feels like they are trolling us and just laughing at us having to fuck with it to get what we want. Like a cake with a bunch of vegetables in it and I have to eat around them.

So fill the room with blocks - can I use the rocket and erase them or just keep blocking over old blocks?

The easiest way is to rocket restart, but if you fill just enough, you might not even have to reset the map.

1. Wait for the next day delivery message.
2. Rocket reset the map and fill your screen with blocks.
3. Hold L and highlight a large group of blocks.
4. Next hold ZL and click and drag the highlighted blocks. Go all the way to the goal with them, and go up the screen as well, and it should unlock the next day. If it doesn't at that time, then you probably just need a few more blocks. Rocket reset the map and place some more blocks. Shouldn't take more than a minute doing all of this.

Rinse and repeat.

I'm not that upset about having to unlock things like themes and enemies. But do I really need to unlock the ability to see a trail of Mario's last jump? That's kinda pushing it. It is a tool that helps you create levels easier...not make them more complex.

Burai

shitonmychest57
I agree with Nintendo that there probably are too many elements to throw at players at once but I don't think that the timed/drop unlock method was the right way to go about it.

A proper, decent tutorial presented almost as a proper Super Mario game could have done a much better job of easing players into all of the elements far quicker and with less frustration.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
I did not have any problem with this idea. I had fun anyway and was exciting to wake up and see what was new.

Those complain feels like childish act.

Am_I_Evil

just be glad its not locked behind stars..."oh yeah, you'll get more content...if you don't suck" that would have been the worst....

border

I agree with Nintendo that there probably are too many elements to throw at players at once but I don't think that the timed/drop unlock method was the right way to go about it.

A proper, decent tutorial presented almost as a proper Super Mario game could have done a much better job of easing players into all of the elements far quicker and with less frustration.

Putting new elements behind a guided tutorial that explains things in detail would have more than sufficed. What's nonsense is this situation where I'm stuck faffing about in Creator mode wondering if and when I will have performed enough actions to unlock more content.

Cleve

Wow, glad to see nintendo changed their minds on this one. Good call.

I was planning on just turning it on every day to check in while playing metal gear until everything unlocked, but now I'll hop in and see what I can do.

BadRamen

ADD isn't just for childs ya know! ;)

And really, it takes like 15 minutes (SO MUCH TIME) to unlock all the level creator content. In the context of the world, pretty okay and acceptable for me.

Also, consider the target demographic.

Now, if the 9 Day unlock persisted, I could understand but I personally have enough tasks and such to do in life that I could wait 9 days without complaint, as I will probably play this game more than a few weeks. But that's me. (Plus MGS! And Pokemon! Ahh!)

Guided tutorial would have been swell though. Like Tutorial World, literally?

vazel

Banned
ADD isn't just for childs ya know! ;)

And really, it takes like 15 minutes (SO MUCH TIME) to unlock all the level creator content. In the context of the world, pretty okay and acceptable for me.
My posts were referring to the original 9-day unlock system. I'm fine with the new unlock system since it can easily be grinded through. I should have made this clearer in my posts.

Sorry about my reference to ADD which came off as spiteful.

Top Bottom