• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker physics debate thread of Mario moving back.... and to the left.

co1onel

I'm still not convinced this is true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpU8Qbs5xrQ This is a SMB1-styled course, but Mario retains the added boost after jumping off of an enemy. This doesn't happen in the original SMB1. It's the only real good example I can find of a discrepancy since the rest is hard to determine without feeling it for yourself, but it feels pretty significant. It'd seem weird if they kept all other physics intact but just changed that one aspect of the jump boost.
I think it might use the SMBDX physics, which are slightly different.

ryechu

the sound effects go along way.
But yeah ive seen no indication that the physics change between versions. The jump arc trails seem similar across versions width wise and in generally mario feels less weighty than in NSMB series even in that mode. And the rationale behind tezukas interview that confirms that they are keeping consistant physics that lies somewhere in between NSMB and SMB seems to stand. You have no proof TC, and a lot of people in this thread are easily convinced.

JoeM86

Still praying for Super Mario Land 1/2 styles.

There's a gap in the style tabs that have to be filled by something. I don't believe they just left that huge gap when they could have just organised it better

Wow, this is huge news. People seemed certain before it would be physics from just one of the games, probably NSMB Wii/U.

This makes me so much more interested now.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Time to make everything except NSMB levels.
Fuck no. NSMB has some of the coolest mechanics in tbe series and absolutely has the easiest controls for more crazy movement. Shit like wall jumps, ground pound, triple jumps, air stalls can make for some insanely awesome stage designs. NSMB has a unique style that can allow for things the other games cant match. I'll be making the shit out of NSMB levels.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
It's not misleading. It's 3 videos of Mario doing the exact same thing. If the physics were SMW physics Mario would act like he does in SMW, but he does not. It's solid evidence against hearsay.

Your rep did not lie. You asked if the way he moves changed and he most likely thought "Yeah, he can wall jump in one but not the others, etc."

The most likely thing is that you believe you were 300% more precise through a placebo effect because I doubt you played a different demo from everyone else.

Holy carp...

Dude, first of all, the rep understood what I meant once I clarified, otherwise he wouldn't have mentioned the part about the game being finalized with whatever style you choose.

And how is it hearsay if I played the game myself?? This isn't me saying I heard from a friend of a friend who knows someone who played the game. This is firsthand impressions.

What are you going to get me when the game comes out and turns out I was right all along?

Also, it just occurred to me that the guy in your gif was using the analog stick. Who the hell does that? I was playing with the d-pad like God intended. So there, I think I found your problem, boss.

the sound effects go along way.
But yeah ive seen no indication that the physics change between versions. The jump arc trails seem similar across versions width wise and in generally mario feels less weighty than in NSMB series even in that mode. And the rationale behind tezukas interview that confirms that they are keeping consistant physics that lies somewhere in between NSMB and SMB seems to stand. You have no proof TC, and a lot of people in this thread are easily convinced.

Is this directed at me? I'm not sure what "TC" stands for.

And this thread is a public service. I'm helping to provide clarification. Meanwhile you and Ragnarok are scaring people away without knowing all the facts.

KHlover

Banned
I don't think it's the jump physics that change, it's the moveset. During the last demo of SMM at treehouse the presenter spent a good 2-3 minutes changing themes and demonstrating the unique moves of Mario in each style. Didn't mention jumping physics at all.

During all other presentations they also showed of so much rather minor stuff, something with huge implications like physics for each style being true to their original game would have been mentioned pretty prominently.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Does the Super Mario Maker have all power ups from all Super Mario games that are present in the game or is it just the most popular ones? Is there not Hammer Bros/Tanooki suite? :(
So far we only know of the fire flower, Kuribo's Shoe, Yoshi, the racoon suit, the cape and the propeller suit. But you never know. There could be more they haven't revealed. And I imagine power ups that don't make it in at launch will be added as DLC down the line.

deleted

Holy carp...

Dude, first of all, the rep understood what I meant once I clarified, otherwise he wouldn't have mentioned the part about the game being finalized with whatever style you choose.

And how is it hearsay if I played the game myself?? This isn't me saying I heard from a friend of a friend who knows someone who played the game. This is firsthand impressions.

What are you going to get me when the game comes out and turns out I was right all along?

Also, it just occurred to me that the guy in your gif was using the analog stick. Who the hell does that? I was playing with the d-pad like God intended. So there, I think I found your problem, boss.

I don't want to add fuel to the fire, but I think RagnarokX may be right here.
You didn't notice what was different when you watched his gifs, when they clearly show the difference in aerial movability.
Which is fine, they may have tuned the physics to not be 1:1 to the old games, as to have an easier time switching between styles.

I also believe you, when you say that the games play differently though. I think there are differences in the physics from style to style, but I don't think they nail SMB3 and SMW completely. It looks different so far.

And the guy you were asking may have misunderstood the question, because he did the first time and he answered in a way that would also answer a question aimed at different movesets. Which is a question he is probably asked all the time.
From personal experiences the guys at the stands are also really good at answering broader questions about the games, but once you get into detailed territory, they are swimming.

Yup, a pretty sweet Super Mario Bros 30th anniversary square button. They also gave out a flier with an offer to get the complete 7 piece button set if you preorder two games + a QR Code for Miyamoto Mii in your Mii Plaza. Pretty good haul overall.

Those bastards. I'll have to go immediately after my morning routine.

Oblivion

I don't want to add fuel to the fire, but I think RagnarokX may be right here.
You didn't notice what was different when you watched his gifs, when they clearly show the difference in aerial movability.

No, the problem was that I thought he was referring to the peak jumps. I can see clearly that the maneuverability is indeed off. Why is that the case? I have no idea. Like I said, may have something to do with the analog stick (again, who the hell uses that for a 2D Mario?).

And the guy you were asking may have misunderstood the question, because he did the first time and he answered in a way that would also answer a question aimed at different movesets. Which is a question he is probably asked all the time.
From personal experiences the guys at the stands are also really good at answering broader questions about the games, but once you get into detailed territory, they are swimming.

Well, again, he misunderstood me the first time, but once I clarified, it appeared we were on the same page. I know the people who present this stuff probably aren't super well versed in everything, but this guy seemed like he knew his shit.

Which is fine, they may have tuned the physics to not be 1:1 to the old games, as to have an easier time switching between styles.

I also believe you, when you say that the games play differently though. I think there are differences in the physics from style to style, but I don't think they nail SMB3 and SMW completely. It looks different so far.

I'll tell you this much. Do I think that the physics in SMW in SMM are 1:1 with the original? I can't say for sure. But I can say that even if it was modified, then it was pretty damn close to the original. That gif is very suspect the more I look at it, and I'm not sure what the deal is, but as someone who's favorite 2D Mario is SMW and is the second most played game ever, it felt virtually indistinguishable to me.

fernoca

Weren't the psysics thing also mentioned during Treehouse a few times?

Even repeated during the last segment, when Morgan chose his NWC2015 level and changed the style to Super Mario World's.

Also other posters that played (like Anihawk in this thread who was at E3) noticed.

So, would be weird if everyone has a placebo effect. :p

Oblivion

200_s.gif

"oh sure, when the white man says it, you believe him"

It was very obvious from watching any gameplay footage of the game, but thanks for the confirmation.

Wonder if there will be any SMB 2/USA DLC...
No it wasn't.

Don't get me wrong im not an expert but people that obviously knew their stuff were having disscussions about it.

What would have been great was if the original poster told what the source of the information was.

OmegaDL50

Do you know if we can queue levels together in a series.

Like assign one level to 1-1, and another as 1-2 and so forth. To basically make our own full Mario games.

I know there isn't a world map, but being able to make make a series of levels and pack them together as worlds would be kind of cool.

Guys, Oblivion is right. I just booted up SMW and was able to replicate both gifs (the original SMW and the Mario Maker SMW).

1) If you hold Y and right, then switch to left just before you jump (never letting Y go), you land way before you jumped off (original SMW gif).
2) If you hold Y and right, jump, then switch to left and let go of Y before you jump, you land pretty much where you jumped off or even a bit to the right, even if you held left the whole time (Mario Maker SMW gif). The first bit (changing directions after the jump) is exactly what is happening (just look at his hand). Even though we can't see the player's right hand, the second bit (releasing Y) is almost certainly what is happening as welI. I know never letting go of B/Y is ingrained into our DNA, but many people aren't used to holding both buttons at once and will simply release the run button to switch to jump. :)

I think an apology to Oblivion is due, because, frankly, the attitude displayed towards him has been nothing short of cringe-worthily condescending.

Is this directed at me? I'm not sure what "TC" stands for.

It's "topic creator", so yes, that would be you.

This game sounds better and better with each new detail I see. Can't wait to try out GAF levels.

I haven't seen, and I'm sure it's a no, but can you play NSMB/U levels multi player? Would be awesome to create a level and be able to play through it together with my daughter, who loves 2d Mario's.

fernoca

Do you know if we can queue levels together in a series.

Like assign one level to 1-1, and another as 1-2 and so forth. To basically make our own full Mario games.

I know there isn't a world map, but being able to make make a series of levels and pack them together as worlds would be kind of cool.
It is possible, and the NWC were played like that. Was shown in a few clips and even in the last day of Treehouse Live.

DfaOdNL.jpg

NotLiquid

I was worried about any potential disconnect that might be felt in terms of the games sharing universal physics (seems like that was a point made a year or so ago), but ever since it's original reveal it's astounded me how Mario Maker has gone above and beyond.

This really is the ultimate 30th Anniversary Game.

I wish they add a Doki Doki Panic (SMB2) style just for the hell of it some day. :/

While that would be amazing, that's probably not going to happen considering how utterly differently SMB2/Doki plays. In a perhaps more realistic note, I would like them to include 16-bit SM3 (All Stars / GBA like) style, if for nothing else because giant enemies aren't pixelated on that one. On the other hand that would mean creating a ton of uprezzed sprites for all the things that can be supersized, so I guess it's never happening.

Technically, you're not supposed to do that, but there's nothing stopping someone from being a dick like that.

Wait, you can change styles mid-level? I assumed you would be locked to the style the course was programmed in. Since you have to beat the course to upload it, I thought course style would be locked once you published them. I wonder if changing mid-play was a demo thing or an intended final feature?

zelas

Gaming press really dropped the ball by not making this, like, the first thing they reported on when playing the game.
Yeah this was the first thing I wanted to know since it was first revealed. I only got an answer when I confirmed it for myself watching the NWC. A game full of NSMB physics would have been a joke.

E-Cat

yes, super mario maker is fully composed by koji kondo, the first game since ocarina of time i think. I thought to myself first "well, it's all music we know", but there are level styles for each game style that are new to them, like airship levels in smb and world, and they have new music by koji kondo in them

Holy shit if true! I want him to compose using the original sound libraries.

OmegaDL50

It is possible, and the NWC were played like that. Was shown in a few clips and even in the last day of Treehouse Live.

DfaOdNL.jpg

Awesome.

Now I can make my own game with 8 worlds and full 32 levels. Excellent.

Shame you can't set boss triggers as stage complete objective. I guess if I make a large enemy block the Flag Stick might suffice though.

fernoca

Wait, you can change styles mid-level? I assumed you would be locked to the style the course was programmed in. Since you have to beat the course to upload it, I thought course style would be locked once you published them. I wonder if changing mid-play was a demo thing or an intended final feature?
I don't think you can change style mid-level in finished levels. You can while playing/testing in edit mode, which was demoed. One player serves as "the creator" in the gamepad, while another one plays. So you can change styles and add things while playing like that.

Though, you can edit and change styles of levels you download, you won't be able to upload them back.

Also as an unrelated note but shown during Treehouse Live, you can share controls at any time. Meaning that the player of the gamepad, still has control over the player. They played as an example of coordination, with one player moving/running and the other pressing buttons/jumping.

Oblivion

No, I was mistaken when I said that. It's always gonna be one style that will always be locked in after you're done.

Awesome.

Now I can make my own game with 8 worlds and full 32 levels. Excellent.

Shame you can't set boss triggers as stage complete objective. I guess if I make a large enemy block the Flag Stick might suffice though.

Only 32? Come on, mang. Be a bit more ambitious.

Xun

Good to hear.

Whilst this E3 was the sign that Nintendo are abandoning the Wii U, this game certainly looks good.

I'm not really a fan of Super Mario Bros.… what are the main differences in physics between the games?

A few of the more notable things...

SMB3 lets you grab turtle shells to throw

SMW lets you throw turtle shells upwards, and adds spin jump

NSMB adds some acrobatic stuff like wall jumps and ground pounds

I am fairly certain this is not true.

FaroffCrazyIlladopsis.gif

SpiffyGrizzledKangaroo.gif

TheseJadedCygnet.gif

I analyzed footage of SMW style levels and they clearly do not have SMW physics. It appears all styles have the same physics but Mario has different abilities and enemies have different characteristics in each one. A lot of people in here are confusing abilities with physics.

Aren't these GIFs older than E3 2015? I thought the story was that earlier Nintendo said all the physics would be the same, but more recently they changed it.

I think once people get this game there will be a whole new level of appreciation for the design and brilliance of the Mario series. I think making fun and challenging levels is going to be difficult but the tools look easy to use.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
A few of the more notable things...

SMB3 lets you grab turtle shells to throw

SMW lets you throw turtle shells upwards, and adds spin jump

NSMB adds some acrobatic stuff like wall jumps and ground pounds
These are all skills and abilities, not player physics.

All these games have a different feel to them. Mario has different speed, momentum, weight, jumping height, friction and mid-air maneuverability.
Super Mario World feels the best imho.

I'm with Ragnarok, you can change Mario's "skills" depending on what game but it doesn't look to me like the original physics on Mario of each game is changing 1:1.

Too many times watching videos of it from E3 I thought the jumping seemed off in SMB3 and SMW.

I hope I'm wrong though.

Oh wow that's pretty cool news to see, and this is coming from someone who is more or less fine with NSMB's floatier physics.

That being said, didn't the game back in 2014 give you the option to instantly flick between different 'games' as you played a level and they explained that as being possible due to sharing the same NSMBU physics engine? Is that feature just gone now or can the physics be carried over to different games?

Aren't these GIFs older than E3 2015? I thought the story was that earlier Nintendo said all the physics would be the same, but more recently they changed it.

I'm with Ragnarok, you can change Mario's "skills" depending on what game but it doesn't look to me like the original physics on Mario of each game is changing 1:1.

Too many times watching videos of it from E3 I thought the jumping seemed off in SMB3 and SMW.

I hope I'm wrong though.

I, uhh... just explained how and why Oblivion was right and RagnarokX was wrong. Like twenty posts ago.

While that would be amazing, that's probably not going to happen considering how utterly differently SMB2/Doki plays. In a perhaps more realistic note, I would like them to include 16-bit SM3 (All Stars / GBA like) style, if for nothing else because giant enemies aren't pixelated on that one. On the other hand that would mean creating a ton of uprezzed sprites for all the things that can be supersized, so I guess it's never happening.

It's not THAT different, they've added SMB2 veggies and enemies to SMA4, so there's hope. The SMB2 playstyle mixes well with the others.

deleted

I think an apology to Oblivion is due, because, frankly, the attitude displayed towards him has been nothing short of cringe-worthily condescending.

I didn't intend to come off condescending, if I did, I apologize.

I'm just very critical when it comes to stuff like this and I'm also skeptical when not everything we heard seems to be clear cut.
There are gifs pointing in one direction, word of mouth in another. But we didn't actually have dev input yet, clarifying the statement from last E3.

The SMW gif showing the jump seems to be recent btw, I don't think the item was in last years build.

Top Bottom