• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey - 10/10 from Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghibli99

Kinda feel sorry for those who can't comprehend how a 10/10 review does not mean a game is completely flawless or beyond criticism.

I think it's possible reviewers have a special affection for Nintendo and approach their flagship games with something of a bias. I'm not sure how else to reconcile some of these scores.

It's honestly not that hard to reconcile these scores. The general consensus didn't align with your own. Simple. Your mind shouldn't automatically jump to "bias" when this happens.

No its a statement of opinion. Like 95% of posts on neogaf. We don't need to preface everything we say as "in my opinion" when it's clearly their opinion.

You just want everyone to say "I don't like it personally but I accept that it is objectively a masterpiece".

Absolutely not. The poster said the game is "enormously flawed". There is no world where calling something "enormously flawed" without saying something like "I found it to be" or "in my opinion" is a subjective statement. A flaw is not an opinion, it's an objective fact. And that's why I generally hate the usage of that term when people describe games.

And he doesn't have to accept that it's a masterpiece, he just needs to accept that the majority of reviewers found it to be a masterpiece, because that's the reality of the situation.

Reviews will always be inherently subjective, so even if the intent was that he found it flawed in his opinion, people need to be careful about the words they use to describe their thoughts. Some words work better as subjective descriptors and some are overwhelmingly used as objective descriptors.

Raven117

Gold Member
I liked BOTW and thought it was gorgeous, but it fell short of the promise it laid out in its opening hours. The world is oversized without nearly enough meaningful things to find or do, and a severe lack of bosses and dungeons and a general lack of enemy variety (as well as other things like terrible combat and no real story and the worst finale I've ever experienced in a game). I'm sure some of you disagree with that statement but I don't want to pollute this thread with a back and forth, so if you want to know what my reasoning is for thinking it's flawed -- that's my reasoning. If reviewing it I'd give it a 7/10.

I think it's possible reviewers have a special affection for Nintendo and approach their flagship games with something of a bias. I'm not sure how else to reconcile some of these scores. I'm sure Mario will be fun, but I'm not going to amp my hype levels up higher just because it got a 10, especially after my experience with BOTW.

I happen to agree. While I though Zelda was a solid open world game for Nintendo's first time out, I did not personally find it compelling. Forced it for 60 hours to finally beat it. Games that got chided for certain things (lack of enemy variety, fetch quests, thin side quests, weapon breaking...etc.), just didn't with Zelda. Don't know why. Its just inconsistent.

But hey, someone's enjoyment of a game doesn't affect mine. Its only when the fanboys weaponize the number on a review score to shut down enthusiast discussion is when it becomes silly.

"I dont like..X...X seems weird" "You are wrong you hater...salt salt...look at MC best game forever, you suck." This is the stuff that is irritating when ya just want to talk about a game as a hobby. None of it really matters anyway.

Jobbs

Banned
But just because you personally found that the game has these faults does not mean the game is "flawed". What's more likely, that 69 separate review outlets had enough of a Nintendo bias to rate the game 10/10, or that the game didn't resonate as well for you as it did for other people?

It really is baffling to me.

But I'm not alone. Jim Sterling is generally well regarded by Neogaf and he was equally baffled by the hype and review scores from most outlets (and gave it the 7/10 I felt it deserved). I'm not sure how else to describe it other than bias.

So -- Ultimately, it's whatever. But I think it's on topic because we're discussing a 10 review score by an outlet that also gave BOTW a 10. We have to contextualize it somehow.

jim sterling said:
Truly, I wish I could say I understood what all the critics were raving about in their onslaught of 10/10 reviews, but I don’t. I see too many things getting in the way of the brilliance, too much repetitive busywork and full-on dick moves for me to say this is even close to my favorite Zelda game, much less in the top five.

Close, but no Triforce.

Also, it has Ubisoft-style radio towers in it. Really dreary, long, climby ones. Go figure.

7/10
Good

Wamb0wneD

I don't know what you are trying to tell me.

Of course it is all opinion. All of this is opinion. Unless there are technical issues with the game (ie, it doesn't run), then all of it comes down to preference. The issue ive always had with all fanboys is that they wont discuss design decisions that impact one players enjoyment of a game. Or even worse, give some games a pass on some issues while other games aren't afforded that same pass.

I love Witcher 3. Best game to come out in many years. It has below average combat.

I love Bloodborne (and all Souls), the obtuse nature is a design choice that is not for everyone. It can be hated or loved.

In any event, even this discussion is arbitrary. Im looking forward to picking up Mario when it comes out. I have never actually owned a 3d Mario game. (I was a ps1 guy, couldn't afford two consoles).

I'm trying to tell you that the two people you quoted didn't try to stifle discussion or anything. Especially the second person didn't say anything unreasonable, yet you took that post as an example to express your point.

There a re plenty of people who discuss the flaws of Zelda reasonably. There are also plenty of people who don't want to hear any of that.
When I made a thread about the start of Bloodborne not being good a ton of people threw shit at me, but others agreed or just engaged in a discussion. When I fininshed It became one of my favourtie games ever.

The more popular something gets, the more unreasonable people it will have. That's not exclusive to Nintendo platforms. It just happens that Zelda and Mario are hugely popular amongst gaming enthusiasts since 30 years. That also means more unreasonable people in comaparison to most other IPs.

Then I'm intersted in your opinion of the game and hope you have fun! Sorry for the arbitrary discussion then lol.

Why are you so hellbent on telling us how much you didn't like BotW?

I didn't like LBP and they gave it a 10. Where do we go from here?

sanstesy

I think it's possible reviewers have a special affection for Nintendo and approach their flagship games with something of a bias. I'm not sure how else to reconcile some of these scores. I'm sure Mario will be fun, but I'm not going to amp my hype levels up higher just because it got a 10, especially after my experience with BOTW.

When you're perspective is so severely limited that you are incapable of understanding why people like some games more than you do that you resort to these asinine conclusions.

Needlessly to say, the "Nintendo bias" isn't the problem here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom