• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey - 10/10 from Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Just got the issue, the cover is of Mario in his wedding outfit, not the one from the Spanish edition posted earlier. Shall we have some bits from the review so we stop talking about whether SS is any good or not? :p

- There are 50-odd capture possibilites. 'It pays close attention to the physics and handling of each of these new forms, making each one enjoyable to command'.

- The transformations 'are not always essential, and in many cases Mario's repertoire is enough to get by, though it's often quicker or easier to make the switch. Sometimes you'll bench Mario for the simple novelty of playing as something else'.

- 'Even leaving Cappy out of the equation, our hero has been furnished with his most expansive moveset to date....it's tempting to say Mario has never felt better in the palms.'

- Portable mode feels a little like a compromise compared to playing with Joy-Cons in separate hands, partly because it can be hard to make out distant targets on the smaller screen. The TV feels like Odyssey's natural home.

- There are a clutch of stage-specific quests that offer more traditional, structured progression but generally you're free to choose what you do next.

- 'Not all activities are created equal but you're never far from a brilliant new idea or a clever twist on an old one'

- Mario's finest ever selection of boss fights.

'The party continues in the postgame too' but no explicit details. There's some kind of spoilery stuff about references to earlier games I won't post here.

- 'There is a lot of BOTW in SMO, from the chance to scout out potential destinations from high above ground, to the way the soundtrack often lets you acclimatise to your surroundings in relative quiet before the stage's theme announces itself. But it's most obvious in the way its environments appeal to your natural curiosity, sights and sounds teasing you away from your present path - and in its sheer volume of diversions.

- 'Link may have more Korok seeds to find than Mario has moons, but not by many.'

- 'Odyssey feels like a true reinvention of the sandbox platformer'

- 'by giving you a broader number of ways to collect moons, it's a game that's more considerate of every type of player'

- 'Peach, for her part, is no damsel in distress and her role expands in the post-game, although not in the way you might expect'.

That covers the main bits really, there's a lot more but it's mainly details about transformations (both character and level). There's also a post-script article comparing the game to Galaxy and Sunshine in how it approaches level design etc
Thank you, very nice summary.

Majora

Man those Edge excerpts sound like hype.

Wondering about the Peach bit; sounds like she’s playable.

The fact they say her role expands in the post-game but not in the way we might expect makes me think she's not playable, as that would be the go-to assumption imo.

- 'Peach, for her part, is no damsel in distress and her role expands in the post-game, although not in the way you might expect'.
Bowser gets cold feet at the altar and tries to bail on the whole wedding idea. Peach gets greatly offended by his change of heart, and kidnaps him back in retaliation. Post-game will be dedicated to saving Bowser from the clutches of the princess, culminating in a final showdown in the castle from Mario 64.

Majora

Oh yeah, they also say that they don't mind the ditching of the 'archaic' lives system, as being docked coins when you're saving up for a new costume/item feels like punishment enough.

_Rob_

Post game "game+" mode where roles are reversed and you play as Peach rescuing Mario?

This game will be soo good
BotW delievered beyond expectations and so will Odyssey

also f'g lol at some comments. Whatever Nintendo does seems to be wrong in some ways.
Maybe...just maybe you should entertain the thought that Nintendo games actually get so high scores because they are fucking good and extremly (like one of kind) polished??

you remind me of a friend of mine who claims since 25 years straight that all nintendo games are just collect-a-tons, higly overrated, blushy pink colored and that Mario games' music is "racist as fuck".

Bowser gets cold feet at the altar and tries to bail on the whole wedding idea. Peach gets greatly offended by his change of heart, and kidnaps him back in retaliation. Post-game will be dedicated to saving Bowser from the clutches of the princess, culminating in a final showdown in the castle from Mario 64.

If this ain't it, I'm gonna hate this game now XD

oti

Banned
Can't wait to find out what the post game is. If it's anything like 3D Land it would be amazing. Something like 800 moons plus post game puts so many other games to shame, content wise.

verbatimo

When the trailers was shown. Some people went overboard because damsel in distress trope. Maybe we should wait the game release, before jumping the conclusions.

Wishful thinking, nowadays everything is hyperbole etc.

We should have a separate thread for Zelda ranking discussion.

Those edge quotes have my HYPED for this game.

Who's the best UK retailer to pre-order with in hopes of getting the game a day early?

- Portable mode feels a little like a compromise compared to playing with Joy-Cons in separate hands, partly because it can be hard to make out distant targets on the smaller screen. The TV feels like Odyssey's natural home.
Weird point to make, since portable mode doesn't rule out playing with Joy-Cons in separate hands

All the other stuff in that quote is making my eyes water

AzureFlame

EDGE 10/10 Games so far.

Super Mario 64 (1996)
Gran Turismo (1997)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)
Halo: Combat Evolved (2001)
Half-Life 2 (2004)
Halo 3 (2007)
The Orange Box (2007)
Super Mario Galaxy (2007)
Grand Theft Auto IV (2008)
LittleBigPlanet (2008)
Bayonetta (2009)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010)
Rock Band 3 (2010)
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (2011)
The Last of Us (2013)
Grand Theft Auto V (2013)
Bayonetta 2 (2014)
Bloodborne (2015)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017)
Super Mario Odyssey (2017)

**UPDATE**
Games that should have gotten a 10 or were "retrospectively adjusted" to a 10 according to EDGE themselves:

Elite (1984)
Exile (1988)
Super Mario Bros. (1985)
GoldenEye 007 (1997)
Advance Wars (2001)
Resident Evil 4 (2005)
Drop7 (2009)
Red Dead Redemption (2010)
Super Street Fighter IV (2010)
Dark Souls (2011)

just noticed, not a single jrpg from the early 2000 and 90s

Zedark

also f'g lol at some comments. Whatever Nintendo does seems to be wrong in some ways.
Maybe...just maybe you should entertain the thought that Nintendo games actually get so high scores because they are fucking good and extremly (like one of kind) polished??

you remind me of a friend of mine who claims since 25 years straight that all nintendo games are just collect-a-tons, higly overrated, blushy pink colored and that Mario games' music is "racist as fuck".

I'm intrigued. How exactly does he explain Mario music being racist AF?

Cpt Lmao

Please be this

KooopaKid

Banned
Just got the issue, the cover is of Mario in his wedding outfit, not the one from the Spanish edition posted earlier. Shall we have some bits from the review so we stop talking about whether SS is any good or not? :p

- There are 50-odd capture possibilites. 'It pays close attention to the physics and handling of each of these new forms, making each one enjoyable to command'.

- The transformations 'are not always essential, and in many cases Mario's repertoire is enough to get by, though it's often quicker or easier to make the switch. Sometimes you'll bench Mario for the simple novelty of playing as something else'.

- 'Even leaving Cappy out of the equation, our hero has been furnished with his most expansive moveset to date....it's tempting to say Mario has never felt better in the palms.'

- There are a clutch of stage-specific quests that offer more traditional, structured progression but generally you're free to choose what you do next.

- 'Not all activities are created equal but you're never far from a brilliant new idea or a clever twist on an old one'

- Mario's finest ever selection of boss fights.

'The party continues in the postgame too' but no explicit details. There's some kind of spoilery stuff about references to earlier games I won't post here.

- 'There is a lot of BOTW in SMO, from the chance to scout out potential destinations from high above ground, to the way the soundtrack often lets you acclimatise to your surroundings in relative quiet before the stage's theme announces itself. But it's most obvious in the way its environments appeal to your natural curiosity, sights and sounds teasing you away from your present path - and in its sheer volume of diversions.

- 'Link may have more Korok seeds to find than Mario has moons, but not by many.'

- 'Odyssey feels like a true reinvention of the sandbox platformer'

- 'by giving you a broader number of ways to collect moons, it's a game that's more considerate of every type of player'

That covers the main bits really, there's a lot more but it's mainly details about transformations (both character and level). There's also a post-script article comparing the game to Galaxy and Sunshine in how it approaches level design etc

Wow, can't believe we're going to get 2 generation defining games the same year.
Sounds like SMO might best even SMG and SMG2.

John Wick

When the general review embargo up as quite interested to see how this game does in reviews.

This is gonna review amazingly well. Probably the highest Mario game. Quote me on it
Game looked amazing from first reveal. Gonna buy a switch just for this

roytheone

Oh yeah, they also say that they don't mind the ditching of the 'archaic' lives system, as being docked coins when you're saving up for a new costume/item feels like punishment enough.

I hate the life system and am super happy it's finally gone. Good riddance.

Didnt realise they gave Bloodborne a 10/10. A sequel to that must be soon if there is any justice in this world.

OT Nintendo has two true killer apps in less than one year.

Majukun

Bokoblins could change the direction of the block to counter your swing really, really quickly. Like, read your swing and counter it after you're locked into it quickly. It was a weird design choice that seemed to assume you'd slowly re-angle your sword around the bokoblin until he stopped keeping up before you swung. If it happened with other enemies, though, then something strange was going on.

not really...a feint was all was needed to kill every single bokoblin in the game without even stop running..after i discovered that i never even stopped to fight those guys..just run in the middle of the group cutting them to pieces like i'm Goemon from lupin the third

Majora

Wow, can't believe we're going to get 2 generation defining games the same year.
Sounds like SMO might best even SMG and SMG2.

They're actually very slightly critical of the SMG games in the post-script article regarding the way the level design in SMG drags you along from sphere to sphere with barely any scope for exploration or alternate paths etc. They're certainly not calling the two games bad (they both got a 10 after all) and acknowledge that it's just a difference in approach, but you can definitely feel that they're pleased with a return to the sandbox style at this point in the series.

weekev

Banned
GTA IV is pretty dubious, but everyone drank the kool-aid on that one.

It's kind of funny talking about how it's okay to disagree with reviews, but also holding a particular magazines review history up as evidence that their scores are more valuable than other sources. Is there a process that Edge uses to determine what gets a 10? Like is it just the decision of an individual reviewer, or are the editorial staff involved?

I think their list of 10's and should have been 10's is pretty solid.
I loved GTA4, I may even have preferred it to 5. 10/10 for me tbf. Don’t really understand the hate it gets, I liked the wee diversions and going to play pool and darts when you want. Going to watch Ricky Gervais at the theatre, it was great.

Mario Idyssey though, sheesh that game could be my all time favourite game looking at the info we have so far. Nintendo has gone full beast mode.

jariw

So now we will have 50 different threads on GAF with "Nintendo must do a game based on <captured Odyssey thing>". ;-)

There's also a post-script article comparing the game to Galaxy and Sunshine in how it approaches level design etc

Must get the issue, for this reason alone.

I'm intrigued. How exactly does he explain Mario music being racist AF?

He doesn't like that each "themed" mario world/stage/level (like shifting sand land in mario 64 or the asia-themed stage in mario land for gameboy) has it's own fitting music.
you know, like shifting sand land has pharao'ish music and the asia stage in Mario land has that "typical chinese-restaurant background music"(quote).

He also keeps saying that Nintendo is basicly the Krusty of videogames. unfunny and stuck in the past with small well-dosed portions of mild racism here and there.

and yes, my friend doesn't seem to understand the difference between stereotyping(if it's even that) and actual racism.
smh

Hermii

How can Mario music be racist? Genuinely curios.

Edit: Read your post above, ignore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom