• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey direct feed gameplay highlights photo mode, costumes, Frog Mario

We got us a real race!

ajVPvS7.gif

(The orange is Zelda and the apple is Mario. The banana is...
up to you!
)

HuzxNZ9.gif

AzaK

The more I see of this game, the more it becomes obvious that it is bland and uninspired. A real, real shame as I was hoping this was a revival of 64 and Sunshine.

Show me something interesting in that video? It's plain, small areas with empty space around it. The beach stuff was more colourful but man, it looked so, so boring.

I know what you mean, I'm kind of with you. I got the feeling months ago that we already saw everything you can do in this game. Go to way too small worlds and get a moon, meanwhile you can buy clothes and turn yourself into things. That's it, over and over and over again.
I wish it would be more open and not so level ish.

Lusankya

I know what you mean, I'm kind of with you. I got the feeling months ago that we already saw everything you can do in this game. Go to way too small worlds and get a moon, meanwhile you can buy clothes and turn yourself into things. That's it, over and over and over again.

Uhm, have you even seen like the freaking huge desert area? Show me a Mario game with a larger area.

All those photo options, but the images will probably still be compressed to hell and back.

I believe if you save the screenshot to the SD card, you can then put the card to your computer and retrieve it that way. The quality should be a lot better than posting from Switch directly into Twitter.

AzaK

I would normally preorder a 3d Mario the day I first saw footage but I haven't yet. Every now and then I think about doing it, look at some footage and go "Maybe not". Guess I'll wait for reviews and see what people say.

I would normally preorder a 3d Mario the day I first saw footage but I haven't yet. Every now and then I think about doing it, look at some footage and go "Maybe not". Guess I'll wait for reviews and see what people say.

Yes, we understand it. You are not big on anything related to Nintendo. Either way, this Mario game looks much bigger than any other Mario game before it and you can do much more on this one than previously. As always, you are free to experience the story and finish it with the least amount required to get to new areas, or you can go through the entire collect-a-thon and try to get all 600 moons, score high on the mini games, and even do speed runs to show how much you've mastered it. If you are still not excited for the game after all that's been shown, maybe this is no the game for you.

Yes, we understand it. You are not big on anything related to Nintendo. Either way, this Mario game looks much bigger than any other Mario game before it and you can do much more on this one than previously. As always, you are free to experience the story and finish it with the least amount required to get to new areas, or you can go through the entire collect-a-thon and try to get all 600 moons, score high on the mini games, and even do speed runs to show how much you've mastered it. If you are still not excited for the game after all that's been shown, maybe this is no the game for you.

Do we know the final number of moons? Doesnt the Sand kingdom alone got 69...

You're going to wait for reviews for a Mario game? What are you worried it might get like a disastrous 92 MC or something?

This game is going to be a fun time, if you're seeing bland, big open areas at this point then that's tough really, I don't think anyone can say much to change your mind as it looks like you're seeing what you want to see.

Lusankya

Show me something interesting in that first video? It's plain, small areas with empty space around it. The beach stuff was more colourful but man, it looked so, so empty.

Bonneton is the tutorial area. Obviously it's small and just there to get the journey started.
Maybe you remember the first area in Mario Galaxy or any other Mario game.

The beach area is definitely not small and there seems to be a lot to explore even though the guy in the video is not even trying (just messing around with photo mode).

RoadHazard

Gold Member

AzaK

Dude I adore 3d Mario. I have felt that since Galaxy though it's started to go down hill. Just because I have a problem with Nintendo's approach doesn't mean I can't like their games. Most of what I've seen of Mario so far has been pretty bland. New Donk City looks really flat and lifeless. When I've seen Mario running around it's been an empty area, scattered with collections of building of landscape.

You're going to wait for reviews for a Mario game? What are you worried it might get like a disastrous 92 MC or something?

This game is going to be a fun time, if you're seeing bland, big open areas at this point then that's tough really, I don't think anyone can say much to change your mind as it looks like you're seeing what you want to see.

I never felt 64 or Sunshine were bland. They were big areas, and full of things to explore. I've seen a number of areas in Odyssey that look like empty areas with clumps of interest.

Show my some non-shitposts and perhaps people will start taking you serious for a change.

Yeah, fat chance of that. I know. lol

Are you upset I don't like a game you like? I guess you don't read reviews without crying?

Man, I reallywant to play this. I'm this close to selling my PS4 and games to buy a Switch, play Zelda and Mario, and then really regret selling my PS4.

I should just save up. Yes. Be responsible Gas.

AzaK

Bonneton is the tutorial area. Obviously it's small and just there to get the journey started.
Maybe you remember the first area in Mario Galaxy or any other Mario game.

The beach area is definitely not small and there seems to be a lot to explore even though the guy in the video is not even trying (just messing around with photo mode).

I see, maybe that's the issue I'm seeing there with Bonneton. However when I've looked at New Donk City I've felt like it was flat and lifeless. Almost like they were attempting to build a big city but due to capability constraints they made a choice that makes it look like a 90's open world game, only sharper of course.

What I remember of the "mexican" area it was basically brown with a splattering of buildings. The beach area looks quite good, but look at the frog video. It's some white rectangular blocks, with a black background. It looks so uninspired.

Then there's the Koopa Mario. The shop is great but after that it's again simple, flat and not much going on except some things in the immediate view.

Dude I adore 3d Mario. I have felt that since Galaxy though it's started to go down hill. Just because I have a problem with Nintendo's approach doesn't mean I can't like their games. Most of what I've seen of Mario so far has been pretty bland. New Donk City looks really flat and lifeless. When I've seen Mario running around it's been an empty area, scattered with collections of building of landscape.

I never felt 64 or Sunshine were bland. They were big areas, and full of things to explore. I've seen a number of areas in Odyssey that look like empty areas with clumps of interest.

Are you upset I don't like a game you like? I guess you don't read reviews without crying?

To be fair though, every single impression was extremely positive and it got most game of the show awards at E3 as well.

You've not played it.

I can see where the concerns are coming from. As a "sandbox-style" Mario game there's something about these areas that make them look less alive or dense than, say, the beach levels in Sunshine, even though they are much larger.

The platforming will need to be put to test, too. Capturing enemies looks fun, but will they only be consigned to a single use, or will it have the depth that 64 and Sunshine had where every single move available could be combined and used with other moves to enable high-level platforming.

We've seen evidence of that at play in the Sand Kingdom (you can actually jump over a fence you'd normally need to break as a bullet bill) but I do wonder if the Beach Kingdom will be more detail-rich and interactive as any of Sunshine's water levels due to the absence of Fludd, something that gave Mario much more chainable manoeuvrability.

Just hope that what makes Odyssey stand out isn't Banjo-Kazooie in nature - i.e. lacking in depth. See the differences highlighted here:

You're right. Super Mario 64 is a platforming game with adventure game elements and Banjo-Kazooie is an adventure game with platforming elements - they're very similar to one another, but both have different intentions to their design.

But at the core of their design, large hub worlds with multiple objectives is still at the basis of their experience - you go into a large open level, you complete a task to get a token, there's usually more than one task to complete.

The inbetween is where the difference is - Super Mario 64 asks you to use your core set of abilities to solve challenges the majority of the time, which is where people are celebrating it's allowance for experimentation and high level play. Banjo-Kazooie on the other hand usually has objectives tied either to using special abilities or just for paying attention to the environment.

Best example are their final levels - Click Clock Woods and Tick Tock Clock. Both have a similar vertical design, and both have a central gimmick that relates to time - in Mario, it's having obstacles speed up or slow down depending how you enter the level, while in Banjo it's a level that shifts through different seasons, with objectives and obstacles rearranged depending.

Where as climbing up Tick Tock Clock is part of the fun of that game, Click Clock Woods is more in the vain of an adventure game where you go between different seasons to effect one another.

The reason I mention this is that - having replayed both these games recently - returning to Banjo-Kazooie was nowhere near as satisfying as I had already completed these objectives before, whereas with Super Mario 64 there was ground to improve and be more risky which was way more enjoyable.

Different strokes for different folks I guess

I think even if Odyssey's expanded moveset (by way of capturing) lacks depth the platforming will still be miles better than Banjo's - which mostly had simple, static jumps. Games with a more limited 'sandbox' moveset, like Mario 3D Land and 3D World, still had very good platforming, and we've seen that each level in Odyssey is filled with mini-areas that are basically pure platforming challenges.

At the end of the day we'll need to see more and play it for ourselves to judge properly. You could look at some gameplay of 64 and Sunshine were someone just walks around, not using or chaining together any moves, and think those games are dull, after all, when it's the exact opposite. And from what I played of Sand Kingdom a few months ago, the controls and physics were characteristic and the platforming mighty satisfying.

But yeah there's definitely going to be previews going up today. Metro Gamecentral confirmed it in the inbox a couple of days ago, said that their preview would be "interesting".
We're getting Mario Odyssey AND DOOM previews today!

Lol im enamoured by odyssey but this statement reminds me of evolve.

Comparing 3D Mario to Evolve lmao. You can do better buddy. I think in some other topics you've done better 🤣

hotcyder

Just hope that what makes Odyssey stand out isn't Banjo-Kazooie in nature - i.e. lacking in depth. See the differences highlighted here:

Funnily enough I kind of collated a lot of my thoughts in that thread into a handy little video comparing Banjo and Mario; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErIG6R-JyHY

and yeah. From what I've seen so far there seems to be plenty of 3D Land style challenges - but it's a bit like they've chopped a 3D land level up into chunks and have placed them in an open environment, though with the effort to make them consistent.

Not sure how I feel about a lack of a hub world - as hub worlds are my favourite things in games ever - but at least this system makes it so the worlds themselves feel more like actual individual spaces, rather than trying to link stuff together.

Funnily enough I kind of collated a lot of my thoughts in that thread into a handy little video comparing Banjo and Mario; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErIG6R-JyHY

and yeah. From what I've seen so far there seems to be plenty of 3D Land style challenges - but it's a bit like they've chopped a 3D land level up into chunks and have placed them in an open environment, though with the effort to make them consistent.

Not sure how I feel about a lack of a hub world - as hub worlds are my favourite things in games ever - but at least this system makes it so the worlds themselves feel more like actual individual spaces, rather than trying to link stuff together.

Thanks for the link! I enjoyed our discussions over in the Mario 64 anniversary thread on the subject, so I look forward to watching your analysis later.

We're getting Mario Odyssey AND DOOM previews today!

Comparing 3D Mario to Evolve lmao. You can do better buddy. I think in some other topics you've done better 🤣

Maybe you can try reading again?
I was connecting his statement to evolve,which got tons of great previews and e3 awards and turned out to be a dud.Nowhere do i say mario will meet the same fate or if it is anything like evolve.
Put down your pitchfork.

This video just screams Tim Burton, hype is increasing to insane levels.

Mario 64 is the blandest 3D Mario game, and it will remain the blandest one after Odyssey releases, You can just see that Oddyssey is Mario 64 on steroids including the lessons they learnt from Galaxy/3D World.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So after finally watching... I don't get the complaints?

The first video screams tutorial level (and it is since it's that's where you get the hat first), and I'd argue it's already more stuff to do compared to Bob-Omb Battlefield from the few minutes shown.

And the second video are obviously stitched together from different segments.

How people are able to judge the whole game... smh

Top Bottom