• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey gets near-perfect score (39/40) from Famitsu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shifty

Goddamn, these arbitrary numeric scales. Can we switch to floating-point numbers so reviewers can really dial in the precision on their opinions?

Super hyped for Odyssey. Gimme dat.

Nintenleo

3D Mario Famitsu Scores:

Super Mario 64: 39/40
Super Mario Sunshine: 38/40
Super Mario Galaxy: 38/40
Super Mario Galaxy 2: 37/40
Super Mario 3D Land: 38/40
Super Mario 3D World: 38/40
Super Mario Odyssey: 39/40

It’s crazy that their lowest score in the series is actually the best game ever 🤷*♀️

faint.

God, reading this thread is hard work.

39/40 is fantastic. Between this and the 10 from Edge this is going to be a great game.

The comments are sarcastic, friend. Famitsu is notorious for giving out extremely high scores so the lack of a 40 is what people are joking about. I mean, just judging by the OP, do you really think these guys played 4 versions of Fifa 18 and all gave them the same score?

Majukun

You also might as well nix the guy who hates the games like why is he even reviewing games. It would be a total waste, they could have their own channel instead and it would be awesome. You could hire my dad and call it angryoldmanreviewsvideogames and he would hate everything and talk about aspects of games in terms of "this is how they get you"

i'ts not a guy that is gonna hate the game regardless..it's a gamer that didn't care at all for the genre/franchise up until now and it's giving his perspective..like..i don't know,i didn't really like red dead redemption, despite most of the people i know loving it..i would be the guy that "hates" the genre/franchise, i wouldn't go play the game expecting to hate it,but I would see if the problems i have with the first one (or with the genre at large) have been addressed in the sequel.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm sure Mario Odyssey will get a lot of 10s and other great scores, but Famitsu reviews are literally of the "how much money will the dev pay us" sort, and mean absolutely nothing.

Like for example, 39/40 means that Mario Odyssey is just a bit better than Umbrella Corps, which got a 36/40 from them.

(I'm sure it's been said already and many here are joking, but some people really don't know about Famitsu from past threads made on them, so I just like to vocalize this in any thread of their reviews.)

NSESN

And the salty posts.... Have Begun.

It begun since Edge gave it a 10

Now being serious I am sure Odyssey will have less perfect scores than BotW but I am also sure it will get way less "bad" scores. Mario has no competition in the genre like Zelda, sit is basically the genre itself at this point.

ubiblu

Famitsu reviews are from four seperate reviewers from a larger pool. If anything, one person out of four found justification for knocking one point off. Sounds like better odds than it will get on GAF. Okami also got 39, and it's tied for best rated 3D Mario alongside Mario 64. I think we'll be okay kids.

The_Lump

Banned
For reference, their other 39/40 Mario game was Mario 64:

Super Mario 64 - 39/40
Super Mario Sunshine - 38/40
Super Mario Galaxy - 38/40
Super Mario Galaxy 2 - 37/40
Super Mario 3D Land - 38/40
Super Mario 3D World - 38/40
Super Mario Odyssey - 39/40

So you could happily write the headline "Mario Odyssey as good as Mario 64" or "Mario Odyssey is Famitsu's highest rated Mario game ever" :p

They also gave Galaxy 2 their lowest mainline Mario score of 37/40. So take that as you will...

I'm curious what the negatives are from that review (and what they will be for reviewers in general). Do we only have the score or is there text accompanying it?

Joey Ravn

Banned
Goddamn, these arbitrary numeric scales. Can we switch to floating-point numbers so reviewers can really dial in the precision on their opinions?

Super hyped for Odyssey. Gimme dat.

Famitsu's final score is an aggregate of four different reviewers, all based on a 10-point scale. So it's 3 reviewers giving it a perfect score, one reviewer giving it a 9. So instead of getting the opinion of 1 reviewer, you're getting the opinion of four.

Not that anything can save this disaster, though. 39/40... Might as well withdraw the Switch from the market. It's unsavable.

/s

DMiz

Worse than FFXIII-2

Lightning keeps winning

I can't believe I'm still feeling the effects of this awful trilogy so many years after they have been released.

Honestly, even though XIII-2 is my favourite entry in the "Lightning Saga", I can't help but feel that that entire generation fo Final Fantasy has been a death knell for this series.

3D Mario Famitsu Scores:

Super Mario 64: 39/40
Super Mario Sunshine: 38/40
Super Mario Galaxy: 38/40
Super Mario Galaxy 2: 37/40
Super Mario 3D Land: 38/40
Super Mario 3D World: 38/40
Super Mario Odyssey: 39/40

A1wpQxJ.png

Nice.
Lol. It does give us a clearer perspective about the score.

I can't believe I'm still feeling the effects of this awful trilogy so many years after they have been released.

Honestly, even though XIII-2 is my favourite entry in the "Lightning Saga", I can't help but feel that that entire generation fo Final Fantasy has been a death knell for this series.

Xiii-2 was quite good. Xv is the real stinker

Rosur2a

Don't think we know yet.

Typically Nintendo does reviews on Tuesday, the week the game releases. But Mario might be like Breath of the Wild that had its embargo a day before release.

Okay hope next Tuesday then but then wait for the Friday will be long.

Ahasverus

Gotta give them to them, it's the most memorable FF "Series" of the last 20 years.

For all the wrong reasons, but still. She will never be forgotten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom